Me neither :lol:

Man! You two must be having some serious withdrawals. :D

Very serious :bitch:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Gig History

by Memnoch » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:04 am

gnoff wrote:Especially when I didn't live in Stockholm or Göteborg, since then I had to travela lot for gigs, which meant time and money, and internet was not used so much (by me) before 1996, so hard to find out about gigs too.

Yeah, coming from a small town didn't help going to gigs, even if we had quite a few local bands (but wouldn't count their gigs as "gigs"). I used to drive my friends' bands to gigs in the 90's, so that increased my opportunities to see bands live.
    And after I moved to Jyväskylä that has one of the best venues in Finland (Lutakko), I got to go see gigs at least once a week. Now that I'm living in the Helsinki metropolitan area, I get to see almost too many bands - it actually causes one to not go to gigs. A weird thing to say, I know, but it's the truth. There's a metal gig in some venue every night of the week, so you just start looking for the best ones and ignore others.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:41 am

Memnoch wrote:
    gnoff wrote:Especially when I didn't live in Stockholm or Göteborg, since then I had to travela lot for gigs, which meant time and money, and internet was not used so much (by me) before 1996, so hard to find out about gigs too.

Yeah, coming from a small town didn't help going to gigs, even if we had quite a few local bands (but wouldn't count their gigs as "gigs"). I used to drive my friends' bands to gigs in the 90's, so that increased my opportunities to see bands live.
    And after I moved to Jyväskylä that has one of the best venues in Finland (Lutakko), I got to go see gigs at least once a week. Now that I'm living in the Helsinki metropolitan area, I get to see almost too many bands - it actually causes one to not go to gigs. A weird thing to say, I know, but it's the truth. There's a metal gig in some venue every night of the week, so you just start looking for the best ones and ignore others.

I'm from a big town, but metal band never came when I was a teenager and I wasn't allowed to travel to see them :cry: So I saw any band that came to Torino even if I didn't like them, just to go to shows. My first trip out of town was to Monsters of Rock in 1991.
    Then I moved to Denmark and even if we get many more concerts here, it's very seldom bands that I want to see, so I actually go to more concerts abroad than in Copenhagen. In 2011 I think I only saw 5 gigs in Copenhagen and travelled to festivals or other concerts abroad at least 10 times :shock: And the most annoying thing is that all my favourite bands always include Italy in their tours now, but never Denmark. I'm cursed :cry:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Memnoch wrote:

This is true for sure. I grew in a city in a smaller more rural state (Oklahoma City), and when I was there I would go to just about any show that came through because shows were so rare. I couldn't really be picky. After finishing school I moved to Austin, TX which is crazy for live music. Often times you have to choose between the 2-3 different shows which would be great. You can go check out bands any night of the week, so you get to a point where you can't go out to shows every single night without getting burned out or completely neglecting other parts of your life.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun May 20, 2012 11:57 am

HEAVY METAL AND WEATHER FACTS?

Where's Marlo??!?!?!?! :viking: :bitch:
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun May 20, 2012 12:07 pm

WizardBeast wrote:HEAVY METAL AND WEATHER FACTS?

Where's Marlo??!?!?!?! :viking: :bitch:

:lol: a man after her heart
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:38 am

Some stats before ending the year and getting on the Majesty for the fourth time :bangers:

24x: Exodus
    22x: Saxon
    20x: Arch Enemy
    19x: Opeth, Kreator, Chain of Dogs
    18x: Death Angel
    17x: Iced Earth, Amorphis, Destruction, Amon Amarth, Sabaton
    16x: Testament, Volbeat, Finntroll, Rowwen Hèze
    15x: Slayer, After Forever
    14x: Sodom, Epica
    13x: Evergrey, Nevermore, Paradise Lost, Swallow the Sun, Kamelot, Moonspell
    12x: Vader, Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Tankard, HammerFall, Mercenary, Moonsorrow, Children of Bodom

Not seen so often but definitely worth mentioning:
    Roger Waters 2x
    John Fogerty 2x
    Neil Diamond 2x
    Mark Knopfler 4x
    Manowar 3x
    Metallica 7x
    Iron Maiden 8x
    Scorpions 5x
    Eric Clapton
    Bloodbath 2x
    Sanctuary 6x
    Whitesnake 4x
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:04 am

^^^ :shock: :shock:

Woah - that's a lotta gigs! :bangers: :P

Actually, I'm not that shocked since I've known from your postings here that you go to a lot. :D And gee whiz! Wonder what your list will be like when you're my age. :beerwink: (but yikes - it's weird to think that many of the bands you listed will be long gone - yet not forgotten - by then, I suspect)

I actually wrote something up for a thread I didn't post yet.....a 2012 Music Year in Review thread (like one I did for 2011 a year ago)...but it's super long. :roll: May still post that....or maybe not. :P

The gist of the beginning of that post is that at the end of 2011, I thought to myself that I might never top that year for music experiences overall - in particular because of a few very special trips/festivals - the very first 70K (I highly doubt that any UMC cruise will ever top that one for me because it was the first time of such a completely unique experience), the very last Hole in the Sky in Bergen (a dream trip to a favorite country), and the 20th anniversary of Lollapalooza (with a killer line-up) in my home town, as well as so many great local gigs throughout the year. I think it is cool in a way since it was somewhat of an auspicious & significant year for me personally - my 50th!

So, now it's the end of 2012, and I've decided that I'm not going to make comparisons from year to year per se because no matter how much or how little I do of this or that thing (whatever it is) - it's all good in the end and I really appreciate all that I do, have been able to do, and all in all have enjoyed the ride immensely! :D :D

So, in short, 2012 was a great music year for me as well, for a variety of reasons and in some cases very different reasons than any year previous. Excited to experience what 2013 has in store for me!! :D
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:18 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    TOM CRUISE wrote:
    Then there is Milwaukee Metalfest 97, 99, 00
    March Metal Meltdown 2000
    November to Dismember- 2000

i love your lists and also the fact that i had one and in some cases 2 bands playing the fests above. didn't we establish that you heard of Somnus and Avernus?

Did i ever reply to this ? LOL

YES I did see both those bands !! Avernus I saw two times and one of the MMF I was at a party at Ross of Immo hotel room and some Avernus members were there...
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:34 pm

2012 was a very lean year gig-wise for me.

LA - Nightwish/Amorphis
    Miami - 70000 Tons of Metal
    Brisbane - Amon Amarth, Ripper Owens, Apocalyptica

2013 is already looking bigger though!! Already have tickets for:

Miami - 70k Preparty, 70000 Tons of Metal
    Brisbane - Nightwish, Alestorm, Ensiferum, Epica, Eluveitie, Queensland Symphony Orchestra "Symphony of Legends" (Video Game Music symphony)
    Melbourne - Sabaton, Nightwish/Sabaton
    Sydney - Epica
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:23 am

Highlights of 2012
    STEELFEST open air
    Tuska 2012
    Wacken 2012
    6-7 great club gigs
    Well 2013 many mighty festival waiting
    70 k 2013
    First time rock hard fest from gelsenkirchen
    STEELFEST once again great line up (brutal :)
    Manowar the first time since 1984 I can see them in a club gig
    bonecrucher fest
    Tuska 2013 finaly line up Was a great
    Wacken 2013 with metal Steve
    So far these, happy new year all :heavydrink:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 pm

So I attempted to count last night how many concerts I've been to and I got up to 143. I thought it was more then that but I probably forgot some and that's not including local gigs.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:28 pm

Very NICE! I can only count to around 80. My memory of gigs attended prior to 2004 is a bit hazy though.

Currently top of my list for 'most seen' live:

13 - Nightwish
    6 - Sabaton
    5 - (soon to be 6) Ensiferum
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:16 pm

The band ive seen the most is Iron Maiden at 6. Although thats not including Viathyn which i lost count around 10 i think haha
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:11 pm

My list of concerts I've been to is in the process of being made right now - So far I have 183 shows I've been to I'll post the official when I make it look all nice!

Bands I've seen the most times - Bella Morte (I've lost count, but its safe to say I've seen em at least 30 times)
    Live After Death (amazing Iron Maiden Tribute) 24x

Sabaton - 14x
    Iron Maiden - 9x
    Ozzy (with and without Black Sabbath) - 9x
    Symphony X - 8x
    Sevendust - 7x

\m/

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm

gnoff_the_creep wrote:Amon Amarth at 33 different nights, though 7 of em have been 2 shows nights, so might be able to score it at 40

That counts. Different sets = different gigs.

And that is insane.

EDIT: Can't be bothered to count today, not sure why I never viewed this thread before.
    Bands I've seen the most are probably Holy Grail and Nekrogoblikon.

As far as more "famous" bands, I've seen Sonata Arctica either 10 or 11 times and Tyr a good amount as well.
Post Reply 178 posts