Post Reply 320 posts
facebook anyone...
  • User avatar
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1907
    Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 pm
    Location: London, England.
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by doomguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:28 am

    CaptOblivious wrote:Big brother can watch me all he wants i got nothing to hide .....

    That's exactly the way I see it. Plus I think Facebook just gather information for their own statistics rather than for any malicious intent. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about, just don't put any personal information on FB or do dodgy shit and you'll be fine.

    Big brother is always watching, ISPs can track everything you do on the internet, companies are tracking your torrent downloads, phone companies keep records of phone conversations and texts and police can acquire them for evidence. Lets face it, unless you're an Amish or live in a cave, you're being watched.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

    2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • User avatar
    CaptOblivious
    Ensign
    Posts: 1131
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:41 pm
    Location: Westbank B.C. Canada
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by CaptOblivious » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:38 am

    Conrad wrote:
    CaptOblivious wrote:Big brother can watch me all he wants i got nothing to hide .....

    That's exactly the way I see it. Plus I think Facebook just gather information for their own statistics rather than for any malicious intent. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about, just don't put any personal information on FB or do dodgy shit and you'll be fine.

    Big brother is always watching, ISPs can track everything you do on the internet, companies are tracking your torrent downloads, phone companies keep records of phone conversations and texts and police can acquire them for evidence. Lets face it, unless you're an Amish or live in a cave, you're being watched.

    see now if Police were to use FB as evidence i would be screwed i regularly joke about torching my hotel just to escape work :P. oh well i hear in jail you get all the sexy times you could never want >.< :shock: :shock: :cry:
    You can't have slaughter without laughter
    2012-cabin # 4519
    2012-BtH cabin# 2563
    2013-cabin # 3015
    2014-cabin # 2515
    2015-cabin # 8659
    Merch Whore .... you name it at a show ill try to buy it >.>
    Hockeyagi 2013 champ
  • User avatar
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:05 am
    Location: Dallas

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by EvilDan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:49 am

    CaptOblivious wrote:Big brother can watch me all he wants i got nothing to hide .....


    Not to be taken personally, Capt, but this kind of statement disgusts me. There are so many people that are just too lazy to fight back when privacy and freedoms are stolen. It just really pisses me off. Is "big brother" going to find anything on me? Doubt it. However, I do not wish my privacy or freedoms trampled. I get so mad, I just lose the ability to express myself clearly.

    It is against the law to use Social Security Numbers as an individual identification number. However, that's exactly how it's used. Explain to me why the fuck it's necessary to disclose that when getting an oil change? Worst is that all your health records are tied into it, also illegal. But no one fights it. Fingerprints? Oh, it's just for criminals. Not anymore. Everyone gets fingerprinted. "Oh, I'm law abiding. It won't affect me." Bullshit.

    The lazy and apathetic are just as responsible for the loss of privacy and personal freedom as much as those directly responsible for violating your privacy and taking away your individual liberties. :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Never take anything I say seriously.

    Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
  • User avatar
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:05 am
    Location: Dallas

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by EvilDan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:51 am

    Oh, and you do know that facebook tracks and records everything you do even after you've logged out? Right? :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Never take anything I say seriously.

    Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
  • User avatar
    KevinP
    Commander
    Posts: 8612
    Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 pm

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by KevinP » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:12 am

    EvilDan wrote:Oh, and you do know that facebook tracks and records everything you do even after you've logged out? Right? :evil: :evil: :evil:


    how ?
    WISHLIST

    BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

    The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • User avatar
    Malaka
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2955
    Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:07 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Malaka » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:35 am

    EvilDan wrote:
    CaptOblivious wrote:Big brother can watch me all he wants i got nothing to hide .....


    Not to be taken personally, Capt, but this kind of statement disgusts me. There are so many people that are just too lazy to fight back when privacy and freedoms are stolen. It just really pisses me off. Is "big brother" going to find anything on me? Doubt it. However, I do not wish my privacy or freedoms trampled. I get so mad, I just lose the ability to express myself clearly.

    It is against the law to use Social Security Numbers as an individual identification number. However, that's exactly how it's used. Explain to me why the fuck it's necessary to disclose that when getting an oil change? Worst is that all your health records are tied into it, also illegal. But no one fights it. Fingerprints? Oh, it's just for criminals. Not anymore. Everyone gets fingerprinted. "Oh, I'm law abiding. It won't affect me." Bullshit.

    The lazy and apathetic are just as responsible for the loss of privacy and personal freedom as much as those directly responsible for violating your privacy and taking away your individual liberties. :evil: :evil: :evil:

    Thank you Dan! I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
  • User avatar
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 616
    Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 am
    Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Jebus_Cripes » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 am

    EvilDan wrote:Oh, and you do know that facebook tracks and records everything you do even after you've logged out? Right? :evil: :evil: :evil:


    I agree with Kevin on this... how? This sounds like pure paranoia to me.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
  • User avatar
    Malaka
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2955
    Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:07 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Malaka » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:20 am

    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
  • User avatar
    Heijdeman
    Oiler
    Posts: 25
    Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:24 pm

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Heijdeman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:25 am

    Jebus_Cripes wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:Oh, and you do know that facebook tracks and records everything you do even after you've logged out? Right? :evil: :evil: :evil:


    I agree with Kevin on this... how? This sounds like pure paranoia to me.

    EvilDan is partially correct, facebook uses a cookie that tracks every website with facebook content that you visit. If a website has a facebook "like" button or anything else facebook related, facebook will now about it.
    You can read more about it here
  • User avatar
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3851
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:55 pm
    Location: Everett, WA USA
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by TOM CRUISE » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:54 am

    I hardly use facebook anymore. I am now on Google Plus and only accept requests from people that I know and love. :)
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
  • User avatar
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 616
    Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 am
    Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Jebus_Cripes » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:58 am

    Heijdeman wrote:
    Jebus_Cripes wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:Oh, and you do know that facebook tracks and records everything you do even after you've logged out? Right? :evil: :evil: :evil:


    I agree with Kevin on this... how? This sounds like pure paranoia to me.

    EvilDan is partially correct, facebook uses a cookie that tracks every website with facebook content that you visit. If a website has a facebook "like" button or anything else facebook related, facebook will now about it.
    You can read more about it here


    I stand corrected. I'll be sure to keep a tighter leash on my cookies and privacy settings.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21180
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by mooyagi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 am

    SlaytanicE21 wrote:I fuckin' deactivated my facebook page. I would say "deleted" but since facebook stores and sells your personal information to third party websites and government agencies, "deleted" would be inaccurate. Fuck Facebook and it's shady shenanigans.

    Hey mooyagi... :cheers:


    :bangers:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1907
    Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 pm
    Location: London, England.
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by doomguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:10 pm

    EvilDan wrote:The lazy and apathetic are just as responsible for the loss of privacy and personal freedom as much as those directly responsible for violating your privacy and taking away your individual liberties. :evil: :evil: :evil:

    And this kind of statement disgusts me. Who the hell are you to blame me for your loss of privacy? THAT is bullshit. I couldn't care less what you do on-line, or on the phone, or anywhere else, your privacy is none of my business. I WILL NOT take the blame for your privacy being violated.

    While I understand your concern about your privacy and freedoms being trampled, regardless of whether you have something to hide or not, I think it's just pathetic to push the blame onto those who are not responsible. How about you fight it, instead of bitching about it and blaming the "lazy and apathetic".

    CaptOblivious wrote:see now if Police were to use FB as evidence i would be screwed i regularly joke about torching my hotel just to escape work :P. oh well i hear in jail you get all the sexy times you could never want >.< :shock: :shock: :cry:

    LOL by the sounds of it you have a pretty cruisy job, I wouldn't mind a job like that. I don't know about Police, but I know more and more employers these days are looking at their employees profiles, because they want to know who they are employing. And it happens quite often actually that employees call in "sick" then post photos on FB of them partying that night. And then they get fired.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

    2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • User avatar
    WizardBeast
    Captain
    Posts: 11951
    Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm
    Location: Denver, CO
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by WizardBeast » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:12 pm

    Conrad wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:The lazy and apathetic are just as responsible for the loss of privacy and personal freedom as much as those directly responsible for violating your privacy and taking away your individual liberties. :evil: :evil: :evil:

    And this kind of statement disgusts me. Who the hell are you to blame me for your loss of privacy? THAT is bullshit. I couldn't care less what you do on-line, or on the phone, or anywhere else, your privacy is none of my business. I WILL NOT take the blame for your privacy being violated.

    While I understand your concern about your privacy and freedoms being trampled, regardless of whether you have something to hide or not, I think it's just pathetic to push the blame onto those who are not responsible. How about you fight it, instead of bitching about it and blaming the "lazy and apathetic".

    CaptOblivious wrote:see now if Police were to use FB as evidence i would be screwed i regularly joke about torching my hotel just to escape work :P. oh well i hear in jail you get all the sexy times you could never want >.< :shock: :shock: :cry:

    LOL by the sounds of it you have a pretty cruisy job, I wouldn't mind a job like that. I don't know about Police, but I know more and more employers these days are looking at their employees profiles, because they want to know who they are employing. And it happens quite often actually that employees call in "sick" then post photos on FB of them partying that night. And then they get fired.


    YOU GO CONRAD! :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: i agree with you. our votes don't matter, policy makers and lobbyists do what the voters don't even want them to do, businesses don't "get caught" violating our privacy either, and it's definitely not my fault, i don't have enough money or power to make a difference. it's a lark.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
  • User avatar
    Malaka
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2955
    Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:07 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Malaka » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:04 pm

    And this is why EvilDan doesn't discuss politics on an open forum. Let it be noted that we're part of the forumite family here so no one should get all fired up over a general statement. I think you took it personal by his comments Conrad, when he specifically said,
    EvilDan wrote:Not to be taken personally

    ...so I believe he was speaking "in general."
    While I firmly believe every word of what he said, it can be further noted that I think a lot of individuals don't care if their identity gets stolen until they're a victim. It's the "ignorance is bliss" mentality that leads many of the "bubble people" to become victims of thievery, as well as puppets to the system itself. Why do I have suggested ads? Why would some posts interest me, while others that I've subscribed to wouldn't? It's total mind control, and I would like to choose for myself what interests me, instead of what facebook THINKS I would like.

    WizardBeast wrote:YOU GO CONRAD! :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: i agree with you. our votes don't matter, policy makers and lobbyists do what the voters don't even want them to do, businesses don't "get caught" violating our privacy either, and it's definitely not my fault, i don't have enough money or power to make a difference. it's a lark.


    Also, Rhia, this is exactly what he was talking about. If you're not powerful enough to have a voice, then what is the point of democracy? We don't live in North Korea under a totalitarian regime (YET), and you do have options. 1 person turns into 20 people, 20 people into 200, and so forth. There will be an exodus of people who cancel facebook, I just hope they do it for the right reasons.
    Furthermore, I may be comparing apples to oranges here, but I know for a fact that if anyone posted in the Random Bitching Thread, about a neighbor spying into their home with binoculars, digging through their trash, and then sending them emails soliciting products on a daily basis... we'd all have their back in a harassment case, and it's no different (on the greater scale) than what facebook is doing.
    I'm not overly concerned with them selling my info to the government, as Capt said, I've got nothing to hide. However, when they sell ALL information to ALL third parties, I have a problem with that. I'm not seeing a cut, they're billionaires off my clicks. It's basically copyright infringement... without the copyright. Why give them the handout when they exploit us without permission?

    You know I love and respect you Rhia, so no hard feelings. Remember, this isn't about politics or personal beliefs, it's about FACEBOOK. I believe it's an evil entity whose sole purpose is to profit from the oblivious users of that site off their personal property. I will no longer tolerate it.



    Disclaimer: I think we've set off an explosive charge here, so let's please remember that everyone has a right to their opinion and I, in no way, intend to offend anyone by my comments. I'm only here to express my opinion.

    Is it January yet? :cheers:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
  • User avatar
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1907
    Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 pm
    Location: London, England.
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by doomguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:41 pm

    SlaytanicE21 wrote:And this is why EvilDan doesn't discuss politics on an open forum. Let it be noted that we're part of the forumite family here so no one should get all fired up over a general statement. I think you took it personal by his comments Conrad, when he specifically said,
    EvilDan wrote:Not to be taken personally

    ...so I believe he was speaking "in general."
    While I firmly believe every word of what he said, it can be further noted that I think a lot of individuals don't care if their identity gets stolen until they're a victim. It's the "ignorance is bliss" mentality that leads many of the "bubble people" to become victims of thievery, as well as puppets to the system itself. Why do I have suggested ads? Why would some posts interest me, while others that I've subscribed to wouldn't? It's total mind control, and I would like to choose for myself what interests me, instead of what facebook THINKS I would like.

    That "Not to be taken personally" thing people say before getting personal I believe is just something they say to lessen the blow, to not offend the person. It's like when people say "No offense, but..." directly before insulting you, you really think they mean no offense? Those kinds of expressions don't mean anything to me. I know he wasn't talking directly to me, he was talking to CaptOblivioius, but I still fall under his "lazy and apathetic" category, so I said something. What you said doesn't offend me at all, and for the most part I agree with you, it's when someone directly blames MY beliefs for THEIR problems is when I get offended.
    As for comparing apples and oranges. If YOUR neighbour was spying on you, you have every right to file a harassment complaint. But would YOU blame ME for not doing anything about YOUR neighbour spying on YOU? Like it's any of my business. That's just ridiculous. But that's the feeling I get from Dan's statement. And for the record, apples are far superior.
    Last edited by doomguy on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

    2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21180
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by mooyagi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:45 pm

    I'm not going to dive into this discussion except to say two things:

    1) Fuck Facebook
    2) Oranges FTW

    :cheers:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1907
    Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 pm
    Location: London, England.
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by doomguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:48 pm

    mooyagi wrote:I'm not going to dive into this discussion except to say two things:
    2) Oranges FTW
    :cheers:

    :lol:
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

    2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • User avatar
    Malaka
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2955
    Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:07 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Malaka » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:01 pm

    mooyagi wrote:I'm not going to dive into this discussion except to say two things:

    1) Fuck Facebook
    2) Oranges FTW

    :cheers:


    :lol: :lol: :lol:

    Conrad wrote:That "Not to be taken personally" thing people say before getting personal I believe is just something they say to lessen the blow, to not offend the person. It's like when people say "No offense, but..." directly before insulting you, you really think they mean no offense? Those kinds of expressions don't mean anything to me. What you said doesn't offend me at all, and for the most part I agree with you, it's when someone directly blames MY beliefs for THEIR problems is when I get offended.
    As for comparing apples and oranges. If YOUR neighbour was spying on you, you have every right to file a harassment complaint. But would YOU blame ME for not doing anything about YOUR neighbour spying on YOU? Like it's any of my business. That's the feeling I get from Dan's statement. And for the record, apples are far superior.


    That's fair and understandable. I've said about all I have to say on the Facebook subject. Any further comments may lead to a debate in politics, government policies, global conspiracies, and so on. So, I'm glad that I've made my point to a level of reason, and I sincerely hope Facebook is held accountable one day. Thanks for your feedback Conrad. :cheers:

    And I vote apples. :mrgreen: :wank:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
  • User avatar
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander
    Posts: 8262
    Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:31 pm
    Location: McKees Rocks, PA
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by DrinkMoxie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:06 pm

    adblock plus and anonymous browsing sessions alleviate all of my concerns.
    I prefered MySpace over FaceBook, but everybody stopped using it, and I'd be happy if people migrated to g+ but I stay with FaceBook as long as it keeps me in touch with people from so many different parts of my life better than any other method does.

    And dragonfruit is so far superior to apples and oranges that I don't even know how it could be debated
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

    cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
  • User avatar
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1907
    Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 pm
    Location: London, England.
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by doomguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:26 pm

    SlaytanicE21 wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I'm not going to dive into this discussion except to say two things:

    1) Fuck Facebook
    2) Oranges FTW

    :cheers:


    :lol: :lol: :lol:

    Orange juice, yes. But Oranges themselves are annoying as hell to peel! Apples FTW!
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

    2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • User avatar
    KDibildeaux
    Captain
    Posts: 13904
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by KDibildeaux » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:06 pm

    Hm...... I have mixed feelings about Facebook. I do think it's a bit of an addiction and somewhat of a time suck (kind of like this forum :lol: ) but I do like to see what my friends back home are doing (since they are pretty damn far) and live vicariously through them :lol: . I'm careful about what I put on there, since I figure at some point anything I post will probably be seen. Now that can get messed up by friends posting photos or things related to me, but I try to not be in situations I would be embarrassed about later.
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • User avatar
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1907
    Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 pm
    Location: London, England.
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by doomguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 pm

    DrinkMoxie wrote:adblock plus and anonymous browsing sessions alleviate all of my concerns.
    I prefered MySpace over FaceBook, but everybody stopped using it, and I'd be happy if people migrated to g+ but I stay with FaceBook as long as it keeps me in touch with people from so many different parts of my life better than any other method does.

    I've looked at PeerBlock, but I don't use it. And I used to prefer MySpace, but since MySpace started filling up with useless crap it just runs so slow now, it looks a mess, the layout is very un-organised. Even Facebook layout is getting worse, but it still looks much better and easier to use than MySpace. And I haven't even considered looking at G+ at all, Facebook is more than enough for me.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

    2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • User avatar
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1554
    Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:41 pm
    Location: Spijkcity!! - The Netherlands

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:25 am

    why is everybody bitching about facebook?
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

    what the hell did you do this winter?
  • User avatar
    KevinP
    Commander
    Posts: 8612
    Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 pm

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by KevinP » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:47 am

    Dutchguy-Tim wrote:why is everybody bitching about facebook?


    Cause we've been getting a steady stream of band announcements, so they need to bitch about something else :lol:
    WISHLIST

    BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

    The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • User avatar
    Malaka
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2955
    Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:07 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Malaka » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:33 am

    Dutchguy-Tim wrote:why is everybody bitching about facebook?


    Image
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
  • User avatar
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:05 am
    Location: Dallas

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by EvilDan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:53 am

    Interesting... I knew I could have phrased things better, but it got some discussion going. :P

    Thanks, Eric for recognizing why I don't want to talk politics. :cheers:

    Here's the thing. I AM the one person that is actively pushing back. And I get pushed aside. I have the law on my side, and I am ignored. I am not acting on only my behalf, but on the behalf of everyone. The lazy and apathetic don't care if they lose their privacy and freedom until something happens directly to them. Up to that point, it's someone else's problem. Then, all the sudden, they want to know why someone didn't stop it from happening. I am trying, but I'm constantly squashed.

    The lazy and apathetic don't call the police or try to help when they see someone on the street corner getting beaten and stabbed. It's not their problem. They're not being inconvenienced. The person shouldn't have gotten themselves into that situation.

    If I could opt out, and the lazy and apathetic would be the only ones who had their privacy and freedoms infringed upon, then fine. However, it's not just me who is affected. It's ALL of us.

    I am one voice alone screaming for justice. And I blame ALL who allow these injustices for happening. That includes the policy makers who actively ignore the law, and it includes those that do nothing to protect themselves. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

    If more would do as I do, then we would be a force that could affect change. However, too many people suffer from the Ostrich Syndrome.

    I will now go back to ignoring anything that has even the remotest chance of being political. And Conrad is completely correct... Apples are far superior. :P
    Never take anything I say seriously.

    Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
  • User avatar
    Malaka
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2955
    Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:07 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Malaka » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:19 am

    You know what I found funny? I was in a group on facebook that was part of Craig Locicero's radio show, The Omega Wave, and a great majority of topics posted on there were about the injustices of police, UFO, 9/11, and government conspiracies, as well as facebook's terms of service and privacy. I find it ironic that the very same people who speak out against facebook... are ON FACEBOOK! :? :roll:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
  • User avatar
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:05 am
    Location: Dallas

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by EvilDan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:38 am

    I find it ironic that "Anonymous" uses a corporate-owned mask causing people to put more money into the corporations that they are rebelling against. :lol:
    Never take anything I say seriously.

    Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21180
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by mooyagi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:16 am

    EvilDan wrote:I find it ironic that "Anonymous" uses a corporate-owned mask causing people to put more money into the corporations that they are rebelling against. :lol:


    I always found that funny too :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    WizardBeast
    Captain
    Posts: 11951
    Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm
    Location: Denver, CO
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by WizardBeast » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:19 am

    KDibildox wrote: but I try to not be in situations I would be embarrassed about later.


    you don't seem to try all that hard Dildobox! JAJAJAJA! :boobs: :wank:
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
  • User avatar
    WizardBeast
    Captain
    Posts: 11951
    Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm
    Location: Denver, CO
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by WizardBeast » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 am

    EvilDan wrote:
    Here's the thing. I AM the one person that is actively pushing back. And I get pushed aside. I have the law on my side, and I am ignored. I am not acting on only my behalf, but on the behalf of everyone. The lazy and apathetic don't care if they lose their privacy and freedom until something happens directly to them. Up to that point, it's someone else's problem. Then, all the sudden, they want to know why someone didn't stop it from happening. I am trying, but I'm constantly squashed.


    this is sort of the frustration i feel in general (not about facebook necessarily, but about net neutrality, the media, our gov't, our fiscal policies, our foreign policies, and even national pride and what our country "values"). privacy isn't my number one hot button issue. pro-choice holds that distinction for me, and i'd get riled up about that as you are about this topic.

    anyway i appreciate the sharing of views and hate to think anyone has to hide them just because they may have "offended" someone. screw that. people should get over themselves. i personally like what i've read from Conrad, Eric, etc....lots of valid issues discussed most of which i agree with anyway. but even if i don't agree, i can handle it without feeling personally affronted.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
  • User avatar
    Malaka
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2955
    Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:07 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by Malaka » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:12 pm

    WizardBeast wrote:anyway i appreciate the sharing of views and hate to think anyone has to hide them just because they may have "offended" someone. screw that. people should get over themselves. i personally like what i've read from Conrad, Eric, etc....lots of valid issues discussed most of which i agree with anyway. but even if i don't agree, i can handle it without feeling personally affronted.


    :cheers:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
  • User avatar
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3624
    Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by AlaskaRachel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:48 pm

    I like facebook. Maybe too much. Don't care. Privacy? Whatever. Not too concerned about privacy. There's really no such thing anyway. Even if I were to crawl into the wilderness and live Chris McCandless style, satellite cameras can still see me from space. So....yea.
  • User avatar
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 600
    Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 am
    Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by ragnaröks_roller » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:54 pm

    AlaskaRachel wrote:...Even if I were to crawl into the wilderness and live Chris McCandless style, satellite cameras can still see me from space. So....yea.


    And by living you mean stupid and dead? :lol:

    So NOT weighing in on this right now. Interesting topic, though.
  • User avatar
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3624
    Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by AlaskaRachel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:23 pm

    ragnaröks_roller wrote:
    AlaskaRachel wrote:...Even if I were to crawl into the wilderness and live Chris McCandless style, satellite cameras can still see me from space. So....yea.


    And by living you mean stupid and dead? :lol:

    So NOT weighing in on this right now. Interesting topic, though.

    :lol: Yes, even if I were in the wilderness and stupid and dead, satellite cameras can STILL see me from space!
  • User avatar
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander
    Posts: 8262
    Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:31 pm
    Location: McKees Rocks, PA
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by DrinkMoxie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:27 pm

    I just got Facebook Gold... it rules... TOTALLY worth the $10
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

    cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
  • User avatar
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1907
    Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 pm
    Location: London, England.
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by doomguy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:41 pm

    EvilDan wrote:The lazy and apathetic don't call the police or try to help when they see someone on the street corner getting beaten and stabbed. It's not their problem. They're not being inconvenienced. The person shouldn't have gotten themselves into that situation.

    "Not to be taken personally" but you come across to me as very ignorant. It's bullshit statements like this that make me mad. Who the hell are you to generalise people like that? You don't know me. Fortunately I don't live in America where stabbing people on the streets is a past-time, so I haven't found myself in that situation, but FYI I do often go out of my way to help people in need, and never expect anything in return.
    I'm fortunate enough to not live in such a backwards country, where you need Social Security numbers as personal identification. In NZ all you need is a drivers license or 18+ card, and never at a gas station. You're bitching about having to produce your Social Security number for identification when going for an oil change, because you can't be assed doing a simple job yourself, and you're calling ME lazy? How the fuck is that my problem? Instead of bitching about it and passing on the problem to someone else, like its my fault, do something about it. It's people like you, the lazy and ignorant that's the problem, not the lazy and apathetic. You're just feeding the problem, not fixing it.

    EvilDan wrote:Here's the thing. I AM the one person that is actively pushing back. And I get pushed aside. I have the law on my side, and I am ignored. I am not acting on only my behalf, but on the behalf of everyone. The lazy and apathetic don't care if they lose their privacy and freedom until something happens directly to them. Up to that point, it's someone else's problem. Then, all the sudden, they want to know why someone didn't stop it from happening. I am trying, but I'm constantly squashed.

    Wrong. There have been times where my privacy has been violated, I won't go into details because it's private, and unlike you i'm lazy and apathetic, not lazy and ignorant.. I know the meaning of privacy. Anytime I feel my personal privacy has been unfairly breached, I have spoken out against it. But this Facebook tracking thing is just petty bullshit, who cares. At the end of the day, no one gives a shit what your interests are, what music or movies you like, if Facebook wanna track that stuff whats the problem? We talk about all that crap on these forums, what's stopping anyone from coming here and gathering the same information? Wait, let me guess, you'll resign from the forums for fear of privacy violation? Boohoo, go live under a rock if you're that concerned.

    "The lazy and apathetic don't care if they lose their privacy and freedom until something happens directly to them. Up to that point, it's someone else's problem"
    I find this statement particularly amusing, especially the last part. Considering you're the one passing on the problem and blaming everyone else. Hypocrite.


    EvilDan wrote:If more would do as I do, then we would be a force that could affect change. However, too many people suffer from the Ostrich Syndrome.

    It's ironic that you say that, because since the lazy and ignorant are so concerned about their privacy, you realise the only solution is to wear a veil in public? In other words, the "ostrich syndrome" Because let's face it, your privacy will be invaded anywhere you go, that's just a fact of life, deal with it.

    EvilDan wrote:I am one voice alone screaming for justice. And I blame ALL who allow these injustices for happening. That includes the policy makers who actively ignore the law, and it includes those that do nothing to protect themselves. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

    Ok, if you wanna be lazy and ignorant and blame all your problems on those that are NOT the cause of the problem (myself included) then fine. I personally think that's fucking pathetic and stupid, considering I have no interest in violating your privacy, so I don't see how it's fair that the blame falls on me. You're like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum because you don't get what you want. You want the world to work exactly as you want it? News flash: you're not the centre of the universe. I don't agree with everything life throws at me either, but I don't bitch about it like a spoiled little brat. And I certainly don't blame it on everyone else. But whatever.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

    2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • User avatar
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3624
    Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by AlaskaRachel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:47 pm

    Image
  • User avatar
    viathyn
    Commander
    Posts: 5638
    Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm
    Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Contact:

    Re: facebook anyone...

    by viathyn » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:52 pm

    In lighter news.... I like facebook!

    I generally don't use it to air complaints, and I think it's a great way to notify people of events, share travel photos, and provide a platform to market my music. I don't really fall for the evil corporation thing.. it's a free service that makes my life easier. I can deal with them using my interests in order to find out what to advertise for me. In fact, I've found several great bands because of something that was suggested to me via FB. Mind control? Hardly.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242


    Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Post Reply 320 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests