Post Reply 14 posts Page 1 of 1
Random Musings/Deep Thoughts
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

Random Musings/Deep Thoughts

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:04 am

If progressive metal is forward thinking metal, would that make the new waves of stoner, true, and thrash metal "Regressive Metal"?
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    alex_canada
    Ensign

Re: Random Musings/Deep Thoughts

by alex_canada » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:33 am

Time travel couldn't be possible without accounting for other dimensions. If the universe is expanding but the amount of matter remains constant, the spaces between objects (and the objects themselves) would have to be getting gradually larger, although we can't differentiate because gravitation remains relatively constant as proportions are identical. So even if you went back in time, you could appear as a speck of dirt to yourself 20 years ago.

I ponder these things laying in bed
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:01 pm

I've said the following many times in my life, but I think it's worth repeating (again!! Ha).....drum roll....
    From here on out....most all of my financial resources (that is, any "disposable income" outside of the basic stuff like the mortgage payment & food) will be spent on "experiences" rather than "things" (possessions of any or all kinds)....TRAVEL, education (namely, the girls' college & random special interests of my own), tickets to visual & performing arts events of all kinds, going out with family & friends, and so on. The physical things such as furniture, clothes, jewelry, CDs*, books*, collectibles, kitchen stuff, electronics, cars, & many other things...in short, all the STUFF we accumulate over time & that people are attached to in varying degrees...is of little importance to me. I never had much "stuff" by choice anyway - accumulating things never had much meaning for me. But memories of experiences.... Yeah. :beerwink:

* I should have included this disclaimer re books & music because of course I love both! Re books, the library where I work has just about anything I'd ever want to read so I buy very few books... don't feel the need to "own" my own copy of anything except in very special cases. A few years ago, I donated or gave away many of my books. Re music - for about 5 years now, I no longer buy in physical form (with an occasional special exception), and most of what I had going back to the 70s (lps, tapes, CDs), I sold off or gave away (but still have in digital form in the case of the CDs) & I stream most of the rest via Spotify and/or buy digitally.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:50 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:If progressive metal is forward thinking metal, would that make the new waves of stoner, true, and thrash metal "Regressive Metal"?

I have had this thought as well. I believe the answer is... yes.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:56 pm

Laura wrote:I've said the following many times in my life, but I think it's worth repeating (again!! Ha).....drum roll....
    From here on out....most all of my financial resources (that is, any "disposable income" outside of the basic stuff like the mortgage payment & food) will be spent on "experiences" rather than "things"

Respect.

Things I learned today:

1. Buying cockroaches at the pet supply store terrifies people.

2. When asked what the hell eats cockroaches, the answer "Tarantulas" terrifies people more.

3. Explaining to people that cockroaches are more nutritious and less fatty than crickets doesn't help.
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Things (I'm too lazy to pull out a quote)

Seriously, this was always how I'd planned my adult life, but in my twenties I never got the chance to even get my head above water. Now I'm there, but my job changed a lot while I was overseas, getting closer to being yet another hamster wheel.

I totally want to live the dream and not wait until retirement to have fun in life. I've seen way too many other people, my parents's generation, chasing the middle class American dream in the same fashion as everyone else, working hard for the promise of greener pastures later on... only to get shit on by the economy. My ultimate goal is to be more of a freelancer or contractor and just travel as much as I can, enjoy city life and events as much as I can, etc. Why wait until tomorrow? And why waste all your hard work just accumulating unnecessary shit? And a house that keeps you stuck in one place?

Now for the great George Carlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    feanorfelagund
    Crewman

by feanorfelagund » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:20 am

alex_canada wrote:Time travel couldn't be possible without accounting for other dimensions. If the universe is expanding but the amount of matter remains constant, the spaces between objects (and the objects themselves) would have to be getting gradually larger, although we can't differentiate because gravitation remains relatively constant as proportions are identical. So even if you went back in time, you could appear as a speck of dirt to yourself 20 years ago.

As the universe's 3 spatial dimensions are expanding at an increasing rate, does it not follow that time, being merely another dimension, is also expanding at the same rate? Therefore if you did look back at yourself 20 years ago, although you might be 'more compact', you would also have to look across time which would act as a lens making you look normal?
    "Mirror mirror on the wall
    True hope lies beyond the coast
    You're a damned kind, can't you see
    That tomorrow bears insanity?"
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:53 pm

feanorfelagund wrote:
    alex_canada wrote:Time travel couldn't be possible without accounting for other dimensions. If the universe is expanding but the amount of matter remains constant, the spaces between objects (and the objects themselves) would have to be getting gradually larger, although we can't differentiate because gravitation remains relatively constant as proportions are identical. So even if you went back in time, you could appear as a speck of dirt to yourself 20 years ago.

As the universe's 3 spatial dimensions are expanding at an increasing rate, does it not follow that time, being merely another dimension, is also expanding at the same rate? Therefore if you did look back at yourself 20 years ago, although you might be 'more compact', you would also have to look across time which would act as a lens making you look normal?

That's deep man :smoking:
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:15 pm

viathyn wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:If progressive metal is forward thinking metal, would that make the new waves of stoner, true, and thrash metal "Regressive Metal"?

I have had this thought as well. I believe the answer is... yes.

New waves always have had a thing for moving in the opposite direction of their forebears.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:19 pm

CountArioch wrote:
    Laura wrote:I've said the following many times in my life, but I think it's worth repeating (again!! Ha).....drum roll....
    From here on out....most all of my financial resources (that is, any "disposable income" outside of the basic stuff like the mortgage payment & food) will be spent on "experiences" rather than "things"

Respect.

Things I learned today:

1. Buying cockroaches at the pet supply store terrifies people.

2. When asked what the hell eats cockroaches, the answer "Tarantulas" terrifies people more.

3. Explaining to people that cockroaches are more nutritious and less fatty than crickets doesn't help.

Well, at least they taste good with wasabi.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:28 pm

With all the internet controversy lately, I think a new faux-scientific law of the internet (and the world) should be applied.

The Black Sheep Rule (probably needs a better title):
    "If a group exists, and it is extremely large (at least a hundred thousand people), it will inevitably have some very ignorant and outspoken individuals in it who will misrepresent the group, and forever be used by other groups to explain why this group sucks."
    - Me

Whenever someone denigrates an entire group (Democrats, Republicans, Christians, Atheists, Gamers, Sports Fans, the 1%, the 99%, etc.) I remember The Black Sheep Rule.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:04 pm

To cope with absurd work stress and pressure, my coworkers and I play a game of "what would happen if I just disappeared, where would I go while leaving all of this behind".

Ideas that came to mind today:

1. I would quit and move to New York where I would live in the sewers (the nice ones, underground city to myself TMNT 2 style). I would join the ninja turtles, naturally become their leader, in a daily fight against crime and mortgage brokers that stalked the city at nights. By day, I would be a dog walker so I could easily fund my green make up, assortment of bandanas and pizza addiction. Casey and I would fall in love and on slow crime nights we would play hockey in the streets and hit local metal shows together.

2. I would legally change my name to Cerveza and disappear to Mexico. In a fiery alcohol fueled, hell bent mission/bender to drink all of their tequila I will meet Tankard who are there on a vacation to prep for the pandemonium that will come once they are announced for 70K 2015. My name and endurance for tequila is considered kismet by the band members and they have deemed me their good luck charm, to go with them everywhere they go. I will then spend the following six years following Tankard around Europe (and once every 2-3 years, North America) thrashing my heart out to their sets. At the end of those six years, I will sorrowfully part ways with the band. At this point my liver will be failing me so my next adventure will be traveling to Russia to find a scientist to build me a new one out of stem cells. The procedure will succeed, I will herald a new dawn of medical advancement for mankind and will live to thrash again.

3. On my way to work next Monday I notice a woman in distress in the street, it does not look like she'll be able to get out of the way in time to avoid the approaching train that shows no signs of stopping. Instinctively I run to her aide, hauling her from the streets and noticing the Medic alert bracelet on her wrist. It notes that she has an epi-pen so I empty out her emerald green purse onto the streets where I quickly grasp it and insert it into her thigh. What I found out after this traumatic event was that this was no ordinary woman, it was Sailor Moon in disguise. She was so impressed by my heroism and quick wit that she decides to make me a Sailor Scout. There are issues at the beginning with the other Scouts since they were re-incarnated from a past life together and had crystals that they drew their powers and costumes from. After a year of catty Sailor bitches and a marathon of Dexter, I kidnap, murder and steal the Sailor Crystals from each Scout which I combine and imbue into my essence with their alien like technology. When there is a waning moon in the sky, look up. Its not a rocket flying around the moon, it will be me.

.... on that note, back to work I go...
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:26 am

vikingbitch wrote:To cope with absurd work stress and pressure, my coworkers and I play a game of "what would happen if I just disappeared, where would I go while leaving all of this behind".

Ideas that came to mind today:

1. I would quit and move to New York where I would live in the sewers (the nice ones, underground city to myself TMNT 2 style). I would join the ninja turtles, naturally become their leader, in a daily fight against crime and mortgage brokers that stalked the city at nights. By day, I would be a dog walker so I could easily fund my green make up, assortment of bandanas and pizza addiction. Casey and I would fall in love and on slow crime nights we would play hockey in the streets and hit local metal shows together.

2. I would legally change my name to Cerveza and disappear to Mexico. In a fiery alcohol fueled, hell bent mission/bender to drink all of their tequila I will meet Tankard who are there on a vacation to prep for the pandemonium that will come once they are announced for 70K 2015. My name and endurance for tequila is considered kismet by the band members and they have deemed me their good luck charm, to go with them everywhere they go. I will then spend the following six years following Tankard around Europe (and once every 2-3 years, North America) thrashing my heart out to their sets. At the end of those six years, I will sorrowfully part ways with the band. At this point my liver will be failing me so my next adventure will be traveling to Russia to find a scientist to build me a new one out of stem cells. The procedure will succeed, I will herald a new dawn of medical advancement for mankind and will live to thrash again.

3. On my way to work next Monday I notice a woman in distress in the street, it does not look like she'll be able to get out of the way in time to avoid the approaching train that shows no signs of stopping. Instinctively I run to her aide, hauling her from the streets and noticing the Medic alert bracelet on her wrist. It notes that she has an epi-pen so I empty out her emerald green purse onto the streets where I quickly grasp it and insert it into her thigh. What I found out after this traumatic event was that this was no ordinary woman, it was Sailor Moon in disguise. She was so impressed by my heroism and quick wit that she decides to make me a Sailor Scout. There are issues at the beginning with the other Scouts since they were re-incarnated from a past life together and had crystals that they drew their powers and costumes from. After a year of catty Sailor bitches and a marathon of Dexter, I kidnap, murder and steal the Sailor Crystals from each Scout which I combine and imbue into my essence with their alien like technology. When there is a waning moon in the sky, look up. Its not a rocket flying around the moon, it will be me.

.... on that note, back to work I go...

This should be its own thread. I'd be happy to contribute.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:50 am

A young woman (20-something) I got to know well via the Prog Nation at Sea fb group and who I then met on the PNAS cruise is in Europe right now. She went because one of her very favorite bands, The Gathering, did a reunion gig, and she decided it was something she absolutely had to do....had to make happen. She had never been to Europe before, and traveling there had been a life-long dream. At first, she didn't think she could swing it financially, but was determined and worked a second job for several months. From her postings on fb, it is clear she has had an absolutely incredible time. As luck would have it, the timing & scheduling was such that she was also able to see Opeth/Alcest and Lacuna Coil - other favorites of hers. That combined with meeting many new & old friends, sightseeing, and so on made for a magical experience.

I have loved reading her fb posts because I find her whole experience (including the lead-up to it) very inspiring. Although this is something I've known & tried to practice as far back as I can remember, it is good to be reminded that if you really have your heart set on something, you can do and achieve great things, have incredible experiences, and so on. Maybe not everything, but a lot - certainly enough to sustain you in life.

I've been realizing lately that some of my focus has changed, that is, the kinds of things "I have my heart set on" now as opposed to 2, 5, 10 years ago and before that. That's natural I suppose due to age, changing life circumstances over time and so on. I feel the need to hone in on what is most important right now, as well as revisiting & revamping the 'ole "bucket list." I know we have a bucket list thread on the forum - ha, maybe I should dredge that one up.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
Post Reply 14 posts Page 1 of 1