Post Reply 26 posts Page 1 of 1
Guilty Pleasure Listening
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

Guilty Pleasure Listening

by CharleneThrashes » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:15 am

Anything to admit listening to that none of us would really expect?

I'll admit mine, and you can hate all you want but I love them : Coheed and Cambria.

70000 Tons of Metal Onboard Success: Take Fucking 2! Divorce
    kept me from the last one, but I won't take "no" for an answer this time.
    KevinP
    Commander

Re: Guilty Pleasure Listening

by KevinP » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:51 am

My musical tastes are all over the place. I wouldn't say that stuff like Alice in Chains or Joe Satriani are guilty pleasures as I feel no guilt in listening to them.

For someone like me who is so into death metal type stuff, my relatives find it odd (not in a bad way) that I enjoy Disney movie, the random Frank Sintrata song , Billy Joel or classical music.

I did start listening to Emile Autumn last month. It's interesting, but not sure if it will stick with me long term. There are elements of it I really like but some that bore me to tears. I would love to see her live though as it seems kinda freaky (I know, what a typical male statement).

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    KK Cruiser
    Petty Officer

by KK Cruiser » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:15 am

Old Kiss.
  • Tourach12
    Wiper

by Tourach12 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:28 am

The Offspring... Generally I'm not a big fan of pop punk, but for some reason I love this band.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:49 am

KK Cruiser wrote:Old Kiss.

<<<Guilty as charged (and often)!

Also, I mean, I listen to LOTS of different stuff from Black n' Blue and Concrete Blonde (no, not Platinum Blonde!) to Blind Melon and Ladyhawk (check out their tune Advice on their myspace page), to Big Sugar and Gov't Mule... but I'd have to say the one I'd most consider a guilty pleasure would have to be Neil Young.

I've been a huge fan since I first got into the Crazy Horse stuff via Ragged Glory and Rust Never Sleeps and it just grew to where I own pretty much everything he's ever recorded and have seen him perform about 5 times. Lost interest in his shows in recent years but I always have and probably always will really connect with the honesty of his writing, playing and vocals.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Zeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Zeh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:16 pm

I also listen to old brazilian country, and some old style samba/choro/bossa.
    -----------------
    Zeh
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:35 pm

I like Bach.

Also like Porcupine Tree. :)
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:24 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:I like Bach.

Also like Porcupine Tree. :)

Porcupine Tree here also. :beerwink:

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Cools! I like Dream Theater too. Oh and The first Machine Head album (most metalheads would not admit that) and also I quite like Marilyn Manson- Anti-Christ, Superstar album.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:00 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:Cools! I like Dream Theater too. Oh and The first Machine Head album (most metalheads would not admit that) and also I quite like Marilyn Manson- Anti-Christ, Superstar album.

Dream Theater is a given. :cheers:
    Machine Head is very hit and miss for me, and Marilyn Manson (particularly that album) holds a nostalgia for me from when I was about 14 years of age.

I could also throw in some Triumph, Thin Lizzy (Thunder and Lightening has my attention right now big-time) and bands of the like. I don't really mean to say that I feel guilty about them or anything, but I have to admit that I'm won't be the baddest or heaviest mother up on that ship that listens to only the metal-ist of the metal. Although, of course, it consumes the vast majority of me. :twisted:

KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:35 am

For whatever reason the only DT album I ever listened too/purchased was "When Dream and Day Unite". Being from Long Island is was cool seeing a hometown group at the time. I remember having it on cassette and thinking "Rush vocals meets progressive Metallica music". The Ytse Jam was an excellent tune.

By the time their next album came out I was already steeped knee deep into death/grind/black that they got overlooked.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:49 am

Charlene just wins HUGE points for mentioning Triumph. One of my faves as well as Rush!
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:Charlene just wins HUGE points for mentioning Triumph. One of my faves as well as Rush!

Well, I gotta be me and give respect to the original bands that I have love for. :beerwink:

Now where the hell did I place my score card.... :lol:

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:43 am

Never got to see a huge Triumph arena rock show as they didn't hit the west very often at all but got to see Rik Emmett on a solo tour in the winter of '08. Just him and a buddy with acoustics in a small theatre with killer acoustics. Amazing playing and some interesting stories. There was some Q&A and he talked about a reunion possibility but it didn't seem very likely. Sure left there feeling like I'd missed out on something special by never seeing the actual band on tour.

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:13 am

Someone must be trippin' balls to think Dream Theater sound like a progressive Metallica with Rush Vocals. WDADU is a horrible album. With a different vocalist. The work they have done since is brilliant. Always giving nods to their influences is a DT trademark!!!

Shore- I saw Triumph in '82 on the "Never Surrender" tour in Spokane, Wa at the Coliseum!

I still have my tour program and it has a poster in it of the band modeling "Converse All Stars" (who were an endorser of the tour)
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:45 am

TOM CRUISE wrote: I saw Triumph in '82 on the "Never Surrender" tour in Spokane, Wa at the Coliseum!

Yeah, I was in grade 10, living in Abbotsford and wouldn't be surprised to learn they played Vancouver on that tour. I probably had my head up my butt gettin' loaded somewhere instead of paying attention to concert announcements. Folly of youth!

Jemstar
    Oiler

by Jemstar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:00 pm

CharleneThrashes wrote:you can hate all you want but I love them : Coheed and Cambria.

Aww, I love Coheed and Cambria! And I don't think of Dream Theater as a guilty pleasure at all, for the record -- they are one of my favorites and I'm hoping to go see them when they come with Iron Maiden this summer.

I listen to a lot of stuff that would make tr00 h4rdc0r3 metalheads ashamed of me. Pittsburgh has no radio stations that play metal, so I end up listening to a lot of random pop radio stuff in my car... also, I have a weird soft spot in my cold cold heart for Elton John and his flamboyantly awesome assortment of glasses. (Sadly, there is no appropriate emoticon for that.)
    4045... hopefully?
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Jemstar wrote:
    CharleneThrashes wrote:you can hate all you want but I love them : Coheed and Cambria.

Aww, I love Coheed and Cambria! And I don't think of Dream Theater as a guilty pleasure at all, for the record -- they are one of my favorites and I'm hoping to go see them when they come with Iron Maiden this summer.

I listen to a lot of stuff that would make tr00 h4rdc0r3 metalheads ashamed of me. Pittsburgh has no radio stations that play metal, so I end up listening to a lot of random pop radio stuff in my car... also, I have a weird soft spot in my cold cold heart for Elton John and his flamboyantly awesome assortment of glasses. (Sadly, there is no appropriate emoticon for that.)

Nah you get instant "Roller Coaster cred" anyways by living near one of the best amusement parks in the country, Kennywood. Jack Rabbit at night in the back seat (that sounds peverted if you don't know roller coasters :lol: )

Last year my 6 yr old daughter would watch Noggin all the time, so I got a steady diet of The Laurie Berkner Band, which I ended up liking alot of her songs. :shred: :shred: :shred:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Well, Kevin, now I must admit to liking some of the Laurie Berkner band stuff too. Something about the "I don't wanna go slow, I go fast" song and the "You're my family" that makes me smile. But really I think it is only because it makes our little one smile so it is a chain reaction.

(Must quickly put in Carpathian Forest to offset this comment!)

KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:40 am

CharleneThrashes wrote:Well, Kevin, now I must admit to liking some of the Laurie Berkner band stuff too. Something about the "I don't wanna go slow, I go fast" song and the "You're my family" that makes me smile. But really I think it is only because it makes our little one smile so it is a chain reaction.

(Must quickly put in Carpathian Forest to offset this comment!)

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1 BLAST OFF another Rocket Ship run"

"Laurie has a pig on her head and she keeps it there all day"

But my all time favorite is:

"That I can fly higher than everything
    Just watch me now, I’ll show you how
    My magic box has wings
    And I can fly higher than everything
    Got a smile on my face
    I’m a rocket ship in space
    I can do anything
    ’Cause my magic box has wings"

And the video has the kids flying around in a cardboard box. :lol:

Last year Noggin has a special where it was 1 hour of almost all of her videos. My daughter would use the Rock Band video game guitar and sing all the songs. It was a great babysitter during the day. Then the damn DVR broke, so we lost access to it. Noggin has yet to repeat it again for unknown reasons. Those F'IN bastards!!!!!! :P
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    creepinjeezuz
    Oiler

by creepinjeezuz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:34 am

The mighty Triumph!!! I caught them in huntington,wv. rocknroll machine ,just a game and allied forces tours , love that shit .....:givebeer:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:50 am

yes RIK EMMETT is GOD

If you have not yet, check out Triumph- Live at the US festival DVD. They have it avaiable at netflix!! Its pretty awesome

I like Head East too. Saw them in '81
    creepinjeezuz
    Oiler

by creepinjeezuz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:02 am

Emmett is killer ! Head east is cool ,love nazareth fuckin robin trower and frank marino ....
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:13 pm

I love all that too......... and one of my all time canadian favorites

APRIL WINE!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:49 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:... and one of my all time canadian favorites

APRIL WINE!

I moved to a different part of East Vancouver about 5 years ago. There's a big chunk of property about a block away known as Exhibition Park. It has the Pacific Coliseum and the Forum, 2 venues that host gigs throughout the year (and WHL hockey at the Coliseum) a horse racing track and an amusement park or fairgrounds called Playland. For about 2 weeks every summer everything amps up into what they call the P.N.E. or Pacific National Exhibition which means more rides, games, food fair, crafts, blah, blah, blah. They also do nightly live concerts outdoors on the grounds. Got to hear April Wine one night and Trooper on another just by sitting out on the grass outside the fairgrounds. Actually attended one night the next week or something with a few friends to check out the Headpins and Randy Bachman (BTO fame). Great rock shows all of em!

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:15 pm

I think I either saw metallica/the cult at the P.N.E in 89 or Pink Floyd at the P.N.E. in '94. At least one of them was there.....lol

Someone told me Randy Bachman had a halfway house or a rehab place outside of Bellingham in Blaine or lacey....dunno how true it was/is.
Post Reply 26 posts Page 1 of 1