Post Reply 161 posts
What kinds of music do you like (besides metal)?
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: What kinds of music do you like (besides metal)?

by last_candle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:08 am

tyrwoman wrote:
    last_candle wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:^^^ :lol: but I'm not so sure I should be "exposing my child" to Rihanna either considering her latest song/video entitled S & M :roll: - flagged as "adult" on you-tube and banned apparently in several countries. I'm not a prude and I could really care less what Rihanna does in her videos...what bugs me in this case though is that pre-teen/early teen girls are a big chunk of her audience...she knows that, her producers know that - so what's up with that subject matter? For the record, my 13 year old is creeped out by the video, and her favorite from the new album is What's My Name? My fave Rihanna song/video is still Umbrella (brella, brella, hey, hey, hey...) :P

Umbrella is a good song, but my favorite would have to be Love The Way You Lie ft. Eminem
    awesome video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelHwf8o7_U

Yeah - that's a great one (btw - is that Megan Fox in that video?) - we talked about it on this very thread before I think! Another great Eminem/female singer pairing is in the song Stan with Dido - disturbing song/video about an obsessive fan - but REALLY well done IMO. And Dido is so great.
    Eminem ft. Dido: Stan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSLZFdqwh7E

Ha - my fave Eminem video is Slim Shady from over 10 years ago though - it's just so outrageous
    and funny (love that Kathy Griffin and Fred Durst are in it) - it will be cool to see him at Lollapalooza this summer!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJO5HU_7_1w

I can't say Eminem's my cup of tea, but those three tracks (Stan, Slim Shady, Love The Way You Lie) are three really good tracks
    I remember goofing around to Slim Shady over a decade ago in Rimini, Italy :cool:
    np: Eminem/Dido - Stan
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:42 pm

last_candle wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:
    Yeah - that's a great one (btw - is that Megan Fox in that video?) - we talked about it on this very thread before I think! Another great Eminem/female singer pairing is in the song Stan with Dido - disturbing song/video about an obsessive fan - but REALLY well done IMO. And Dido is so great.
    Eminem ft. Dido: Stan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSLZFdqwh7E

Ha - my fave Eminem video is Slim Shady from over 10 years ago though - it's just so outrageous
    and funny (love that Kathy Griffin and Fred Durst are in it) - it will be cool to see him at Lollapalooza this summer!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJO5HU_7_1w

I can't say Eminem's my cup of tea, but those three tracks (Stan, Slim Shady, Love The Way You Lie) are three really good tracks
    I remember goofing around to Slim Shady over a decade ago in Rimini, Italy :cool:
    np: Eminem/Dido - Stan

I've never bought any Eminem albums or tried to see him in concert (until now this summer at Lollapalooza)....but... I've always thought he had a lot of raw talent, and I like several of the songs that I know from the radio, youtube, etc. I also thought he was GREAT in the movie biopic of sorts 8-mile. I think the story of a white trash white boy making it in the predominately American black rap world is pretty compelling! He's recently been on the cover of many music magazines we subscribe to at my work...and quite honestly I haven't bothered to read much about all his personal addictions drama....but, whatever, I'm looking forward to seeing him headline at Lolla in early August (even thou truth be told I'd rather be Wacken @ Wacken then :beerwink: )
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:30 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    BehnWilson wrote:Karaoke and now disco.

To quote Swashbuckle, "Aarghhhhhhhhhhh"

Oh dont you worry....we shall be draggin ur ass out there too ;)

Don't worry. I'll ward them off with my amazing powers of introversion. Just try and keep me sober until they give up.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Aside from classic and hard rock, I like classical to a point. It is my music of choice for when I'm busy doing something else (driving, shopping, etc.) but when I'm at a concert, I get bored very quickly listening to classical music, especially the ones from the times when the church controlled what got published (GLOOry to GOD in the HIIIIghest, GloRREEEE TOOO God in the hiiiighEEEEEST, GLOOOoooooOOOREEEE to GOD in the HIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiGHESSSSSSSST!) Ugh! You can only hear so much of the same phrase over and over before you lose interest.

As for Rap and Hip Hop, I haven't found a group or a song that I like yet, but, feel reluctant to write off the whole genre as a lost cause. Metal has its share of sucky songs, so I'd feel shallow if I didn't give Hip hop a chance to prove itself. Still, I haven't met anyone who has given me a good recommendation yet, and since ghetto culture seems to innately rub me the wrong way, I'm not expecting to find anything overnight.

A friend of mine has been trying to open me up to country. The closer it sounds to classic rock, the easier it is for me to appreciate it. However, thanks to Hayseed Dixie, I almost instantly got into bluegrass.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:22 pm

sageoftruth wrote:A friend of mine has been trying to open me up to country. The closer it sounds to classic rock, the easier it is for me to appreciate it. However, thanks to Hayseed Dixie, I almost instantly got into bluegrass.

Friends don't let friends listen to country.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    bangers
    Chief Petty Officer

by bangers » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:20 am

Classical guitar.

very very beautiful.
    Winging it in the west (Western Australia that is)
    Room 3612
    Black Metal - The best metal - Emperor FOREVER
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:56 am

mooyagi wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:A friend of mine has been trying to open me up to country. The closer it sounds to classic rock, the easier it is for me to appreciate it. However, thanks to Hayseed Dixie, I almost instantly got into bluegrass.

Friends don't let friends listen to country.

That friend was a former suitemate of yours, you know, and you'll probably be seeing him on your visit to Boston.
    DemonNIN
    Midshipman

by DemonNIN » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Ok now I feel better after reading some of these posts ( Lady Gaga.... I'm not making fun of it by no means... I am all for diversity in musical taste) I've liked some really off course stuff in my past as well... so I can't judge. I like this one really little known artist..... Found out about it from Bam's skate videos. I don't like the rapish stuff he does too much but the slower edgier stuff is ok by me every now and then he goes by the name "Trouble Andrew" it's good for me to unwind with here and there. Let the harassing begin if you know this artist.
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    CABIN #5073 70K : 2011
    CABIN #2027 70K: 2012
    CABIN #2521 BTH 2012
    CABIN #2095 70K : 2013
    CABIN # NONE : 2014 :(
    CABIN #9669 70K: 2015
    CABIN #6707 ; 2016
    CABIN #6407 ; 2017
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:57 am

I mentioned on another thread yesterday that I'm seeing Eminem next Saturday night at the 3-day festival called Lollapalooza in Chicago - http://www.lollapalooza.com/ VERY EXCITED! Don't know if anyone here listens to Eminem - but I've been a fan since the late 90's....from the silly/funny raps like Slim Shady and My Name Is to the many serious subjects he's tackled from personal struggle, strength, & recovery (Not Afraid), bullying (No Love), crazed fans (Stan), and relationship abuse (Love the Way You Lie). His movie biopic 8-Mile is really great too!
    Lots of powerful, intense stuff (as well as humorous stuff like Slim Shady) which is one of main reasons why I like him ;) Also - lots of great melodies/samples interspersed with the raps.

From the recent album Recovery - fantastic!
    Not Afraid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5-yKhDd64s&ob=av2e

http://www.directlyrics.com/eminem-not- ... yrics.html
    I'm not afraid to take a stand
    Everybody come take my hand
    We'll walk this road together, through the storm
    Whatever weather, cold or warm
    Just let you know that, you're not alone
    Holla if you feel that you've been down the same road

(Intro)

Yeah, It's been a ride...
    I guess I had to go to that place to get to this one
    Now some of you might still be in that place
    If you're trying to get out, just follow me
    I'll get you there

Love the Way you Lie (featuring Rhianna)
    http://www.directlyrics.com/eminem-love ... yrics.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelHwf8o7_U&ob=av2e

No Love (featuring Lil Wayne)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2ssT8lzj8&ob=av2e

Stan (featuring Dido)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY

The song Lose Yourself with clips from the movie 8-Mile.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_FzrqxfZ9U

from Lose Yourself
    Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
    To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment
    Would you capture it or just let it slip?.....

...You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
    You own it, you better never let it go
    You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
    This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo
    (You better)

...You can do anything you set your mind to, man
    Last edited by Laura on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Egokrusher
    Petty Officer

by Egokrusher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:32 am

Metal aside, I dig a lot of everything. I do set some limits though, can't stand most electronic music though I make exceptions for some industrial and whatnot. I range from listening to Chopin to SWANS to Hank Williams Sr to Discharge. I especially love old punk and oi. It doesn't get much better than an old Swedish d-beat band like Anti-Cimex or Puke.
    "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist." - Epicurus

Cabin: 5571!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 am

Monmisreal wrote:
    Laura wrote:Ha - just noticed you mentioned me in this post. :P As you know, I do like a lot of rap and hip-hop - but didn't know of these guys before...and I have to say this song doesn't do much for me. Maybe it's the (gross) video visuals that is kinda killin' it. ;) :lol: Maybe I'll try listening to it again without watching. :P

I've been back on a Nas & Damian Marley kick again lately (after seeing them at Lollapalooza last summer, I listened to them fairly incessantly for a while :P ) - love their reggae/rap fusion.

Opening track from their album Distant Relatives...(now here's a song where the beat/rhythm grabbed me immediately - especially the chorus at 1:05 and 1:55)
    As We Enter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMGd3mAfl-0

Ohh yea. Completely forgot about their lyrical content so I wouldnt expect you to like them after remembering that haha.

Distant Relatives is soooooooo good. The last verse by Nas on Strong Will Continue (3:14 on) is one of my favorite rap verses of all time. The verse starts off good and just keeps getting better until its over. Then again I am biased since Nas is one of my favorite rap artists too haha. This post is making me feel like listening to rap so now im listening to Wu Masscre.

Have you ever listened to the Think DIfferently: Wu-Tang Meets the Indie Culture album?

I thought I'd copy this discussion to this thread :P ....

Cool you like Distant Relatives also! I think it is fantastic - and like I said, I love the reggae-rap fusion. (and yes, Strong Will Continue is a great song too.) Reminds me of another interesting rap combo with another genre in the case of the group Us3 - considered to be "jazz-rap" - their album Hand on the Torch from 1993 is one of my very favorites. The song Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) is a classic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBjhBL9G6U

Back to the Rella video you posted - ha - I hadn't really noticed the lyrics when I watched it because the visuals were kind of an overwhelming turn off for me from the get-go (especially the obese woman in the beginning - yuck! :lol: ) Now that I have read the lyrics....yep, I agree, those are pretty raunchy too. :lol: I'm a bit strange and VERY picky :P when it comes to raunch and gore and that kinda stuff. In certain contexts, it doesn't appeal to me at all and I avoid it - and yet, in others, it "works" for me (i.e. I like it) and I find it entertaining. It's just one of those TEHO kinds things I guess. ;) For example...generally speaking, I don't care for musicians/groups where the main focus of most or all of their music is raunch (e.g. 2 Live Crew) and/or ghetto mayhem (gangs, drugs, murder). Sure, guys like Eminem, Lil Wayne, and Tupac (all who I like a lot) have some of that element in their music to be sure - but I think they all have something special that transcends all that somehow for me...hmmm - kinda hard to explain. Don't know if that makes any sense. Speaking about a different genre, I mentioned on the Black Metal thread how brilliant I think the video for Dark Funeral's song My Funeral is. On the one hand, you couldn't pay me to see most any bloody horror movie, but the blood & subject matter in that DF video (or a lot of other black metal videos as well) doesn't bother me one bit and I think it's really effective and well-done...in other words - I like that video a lot.

Other groups/musicians I really like a lot that fall under the huge rap and hip-hop categories....(just to name some off the top of my head including rap-metal)...all the greats who started in the 80s like Run-D.M.C., Beastie Boys, Afrika Bambaata & the Soul Sonic Force, Tone-Loc, Public Enemy, De La Soul, & LL Cool J; Us3 who I mentioned above, Rage Against the Machine (crazy about them!), OutKast, Common, Talib Kweli, Queen Latifah, Nas & Damian Marley collaboration, & Black Eyed Peas. :beerbang: :P
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 am

Ooops - forgot to answer your question - don't know Wu Massacre.
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:03 am

I love indie rock, old school country, 90s electronic and rap in addition to metal.
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:11 pm

I like polka music. :shock: :lol: :lol:
    http://youtu.be/m6Zgxv-tu-k
    http://youtu.be/crdFjttfGh8
    http://youtu.be/QqfL_QOqv-M
    Oops, moi just being a smart ass and just padding my post count since I haven’t posted in a while. :cool: :D
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Laura wrote:I thought I'd copy this discussion to this thread :P ....

Cool you like Distant Relatives also! I think it is fantastic - and like I said, I love the reggae-rap fusion. (and yes, Strong Will Continue is a great song too.) Reminds me of another interesting rap combo with another genre in the case of the group Us3 - considered to be "jazz-rap" - their album Hand on the Torch from 1993 is one of my very favorites. The song Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) is a classic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBjhBL9G6U

Back to the Rella video you posted - ha - I hadn't really noticed the lyrics when I watched it because the visuals were kind of an overwhelming turn off for me from the get-go (especially the obese woman in the beginning - yuck! :lol: ) Now, that I have read the lyrics, yep, those are pretty raunchy too. :lol: I'm a bit strange and VERY picky :P when it comes to raunch and gore and that kinda stuff. In certain contexts, it doesn't appeal to me at all and I avoid it - and yet, in others, it "works" for me and I find it entertaining on some level. It's just one of those TEHO kinds things I guess. ;) For example...generally speaking, I don't care at all for musicians/groups where the main focus of most or all of their music is hard-core raunch (e.g. 2 Live Crew) and/or ghetto mayhem & murder. Sure, guys like Eminem, Lil Wayne, and Tupac (all who I like a lot) have that element in some of their music to be sure - but I think they all have something special that goes beyond just that. Speaking about a different genre, I mentioned on the Black Metal thread how brilliant I think Dark Funeral's My Funeral video is. On the one hand, you couldn't pay me to see me to see a bloody horror movie, but the blood & subject matter in that DF video doesn't bother me one bit and I think it's really effective.

Other groups/musicians I really like a lot that fall under the huge rap and hip-hop categories....(just to name some off the top of my head including rap-metal)...all the greats who started in the 80s like Run-D.M.C., Beastie Boys, Afrika Bambaata & the Soul Sonic Force, Tone-Loc, Public Enemy, De La Soul, & LL Cool J; Us3 who I mentioned above, Rage Against the Machine (crazy about them!), OutKast, Common, Talib Kweli, Queen Latifah, Nas & Damian Marley collaboration, & Black Eyed Peas. :beerbang: :P

Yea the lyrics of Rella are just plain dumb, but the beat reminds me of a video game for some reason so I was sold right off the bat. I do admit I am a huge fan of gangsta rap as long as the lyrics are storylike. Spice 1, Brotha Lynch Hung, and C-Bo are all awesome gangster rappers. They just have a very real vibe to them, like they actually experience what they are rapping about.

Outkast is definitely one of my alltime favorite rap groups. They are barely beat out by old school Bone Thugs. I can totally sit and rap along to Outkast's Elevator (Me and You) without even thinking twice.

That Us3 song you posted was pretty damn cool. It reminds me a lot of J-Live, so I bet they are an influence on J-Live. You might like J-Live since he uses a lot of jazz-like beats and his music is more hip-hop than rap. This is my favorite song of his because of how well the lyrics are written and delivered. A lot of his lyrics are really damn clever too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRhSTOFCqDU

This one is a pretty nifty song from that Think Differently album.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxu_XZXd2DE
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:30 am

Monmisreal wrote:
    Laura wrote:I thought I'd copy this discussion to this thread :P ....

Yea the lyrics of Rella are just plain dumb, but the beat reminds me of a video game for some reason so I was sold right off the bat. I do admit I am a huge fan of gangsta rap as long as the lyrics are storylike. Spice 1, Brotha Lynch Hung, and C-Bo are all awesome gangster rappers. They just have a very real vibe to them, like they actually experience what they are rapping about.

To be honest, haven't listened to very much gangsta rap - I have mixed feelings about it because on the one hand (excuse the generalization since I haven't heard much), it strikes me as something that glorifies that kind of gang/thug lifestyle and back in the 90s the neighborhood we live in (bought our house here in 1992) still had a lot of crime & violence that was all connected to the street gangs. On the other hand, you could argue that it's simply a reflection and expression of part of our society. I used to talk about this kinda stuff (race, gang violence, music) with some of the young African-American guys I worked with at the time....that's when this one guy Darryl told me how much the music of Tupac Shakur meant to him (especially the album Me Against the World from 1995 which I ended up buying myself and agree is a powerful album). I don't think of Tupac as strictly "gangsta rap" (or a least the stereotype I have of it), but as I'm sure you know, he dealt with a lot of the downer inner city subject matter in his music and ended up getting himself killed due to senseless gang "drama." Anyway, I'm not dissing gangsta rap (or any music for that matter) because as I've said before - since I feel that taste is such a personal thing - our likes/dislikes, turn-ons/turn-offs - the fact that someone likes it is all that matters. ;)

Monmisreal wrote:Outkast is definitely one of my alltime favorite rap groups. They are barely beat out by old school Bone Thugs. I can totally sit and rap along to Outkast's Elevator (Me and You) without even thinking twice.

:cheers: hmmm....karaoke material for a future 70K and/or Barge to Hell? :P Btw, I especially like the double album Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

Monmisreal wrote:That Us3 song you posted was pretty damn cool. It reminds me a lot of J-Live, so I bet they are an influence on J-Live. You might like J-Live since he uses a lot of jazz-like beats and his music is more hip-hop than rap. This is my favorite song of his because of how well the lyrics are written and delivered. A lot of his lyrics are really damn clever too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRhSTOFCqDU

This one is a pretty nifty song from that Think Differently album.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxu_XZXd2DE

Glad you liked the Us3 song - that whole album is fantastic! Enjoyed your 2 links above - thanks. :cheers:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:57 am

Excuse me while I overdose on youtube.... :shock: :lol:
    (this is what happens when I have Tuesday mornings off, I have the house to myself, and I don't feel like doing housework. ;) :P )

Anyway, the rap & hip-hop discussion above made me think this morning about all the music I've loved over the years created by people of African descent...starting with the Jackson 5 when I was around 10 and watching all the great soul, funk, and R & B acts on Soul Train and Midnight Special throughout the 70s to my more recent interest in the music of the Tuareg people of Niger and Mali (going to http://www.festival-au-desert.org/ is NUMBER ONE on my bucket list!) Here are some random favorite artists/songs/videos that came to my mind this morning (some old favorites like James Brown to new ones like Cedric Watson)

Talib Kweli featuring Mary J. Blige: I Try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUMvqAtAFL4&feature=fvst

Omara Moctar (Bambino): Tar Hani http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW1tUelp ... re=related

James Brown: Get up offa that thing (live on the Midnight Special): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZzjsjDpRHs

Cedric Watson: La Vieille Chanson de Mardi Gras http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8fTT4WQ7qM

Jackson 5: The Love You Save (one of the first 45s I bought around 1970 :lol: :beerwink: ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BQSoa5kg2U

Commodores: Brickhouse :headbanger: :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5EmnQp3V48

Nas & Damian Marley (featuring Amadou & Mariam): Patience http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9VQye6P8k0

Sade: Smooth Operator http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TYv2PhG89A

Amadou & Mariam: Je pense a toi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iju1_DhH2Qs

Tupac Shakur: Me Against the World http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjv7hEAytU&feature=fvsr

Salt n Pepper: Push It http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

Marvin Gaye: Sexual Healing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-35_DVIptU&feature=fvst

Lil Wayne featuring Bruno Mars: Mirror http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZLUa8JUR18 (absolutely love this video)

Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force: Planet Rock (cool early sampling of Kraftwerk) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDCYjb8RHk

Parliament: Bring the Funk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjKFCYzqq-A

Buddy Guy: Sweet Home Chicago :headbanger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6O9DaIGy9M

Technotronic: Pump Up the Jam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcjWd-O4jI

Rihanna featuring Drake: What's My Name http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0CGsw6h60k (sexy)

Jimi Hendrix: Hey Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE3FAY-NOiU

Tinariwen: Tenere Taqhim Tossam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOV5jEa-vwc (fantastic song from new album Tassili)

B.o.B. (featuring Hayley Mills): Airplanes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn6-c223DUU

Etran Finatawa: Surbajo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NjX1ziHVX8

Public Enemy: Fight the Power http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk

Robert Johnson: Kind Hearted Woman Blues http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yNxiF-T4A

Earth Wind & Fire: Shining Star live on the Midnight Special http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl-WSmryfSY

Herbie Hancock: Rockit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkDsvm1CMuo&feature=fvst

Toots & the Maytals: Pressure Drop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2V1m4V0R4Y

India.Arie: Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq86e4Fhja0

LaBelle: Lady Marmalade live on Soul Train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWHkIz5BomA

Tone-Loc: Funky Cold Medina http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OP5EnaaYjQ

Us3: I Got it Goin' On http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMfIvf_kyw

Ha - I could go on all day, but I'll stop now....plus, I gotta get ready for work :lol:
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:28 am

@ Laura, :D
    HA HA, you said dissing. I laughed at that 'cause it was comes from a pasty white girl. LOL
    Where’s the Ice-T, man!
    http://youtu.be/ISeV_xF4w6Y

All gangsta wanna be’s must have an Ice-T disc somewhere in their collection and NWA. http://youtu.be/eZqZschnrxM

WHAT! No Grandmaster Flash http://youtu.be/HsTJaP2tC0A the remake
    http://youtu.be/VmIN9ulmy-E or Sugar Hill Gang http://youtu.be/diiL9bqvalo . What’s up with that?

Loved that you had Salt n’ Pepper’s “Push It” and Tone Loc’s “Funky Cold Medina” but you forgot “Wild Thing” http://youtu.be/387ZDGSKVSg

Thumbs up for the Commodores “Brick House” and Parliaments “Bring The Funk”.

One of my favorites. Sir Mix-A-Lot http://youtu.be/2ImZTwYwCug and these were club favorites and not very clean so cover your eyes and put your head phones on.
    http://youtu.be/u6VTj7LhCtE http://youtu.be/dNej0Nonlw0

This is what happens when you can’t sleep. I play on this forum site. LOL
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:29 am

Michael D. wrote:@ Laura, :D
    HA HA, you said dissing. I laughed at that 'cause it was comes from a pasty white girl. LOL
    Where’s the Ice-T, man!
    http://youtu.be/ISeV_xF4w6Y

All gangsta wanna be’s must have an Ice-T disc somewhere in their collection and NWA. http://youtu.be/eZqZschnrxM

WHAT! No Grandmaster Flash http://youtu.be/HsTJaP2tC0A the remake
    http://youtu.be/VmIN9ulmy-E or Sugar Hill Gang http://youtu.be/diiL9bqvalo . What’s up with that?

Loved that you had Salt n’ Pepper’s “Push It” and Tone Loc’s “Funky Cold Medina” but you forgot “Wild Thing” http://youtu.be/387ZDGSKVSg

Thumbs up for the Commodores “Brick House” and Parliaments “Bring The Funk”.

One of my favorites. Sir Mix-A-Lot http://youtu.be/2ImZTwYwCug and these were club favorites and not very clean so cover your eyes and put your head phones on.
    http://youtu.be/u6VTj7LhCtE http://youtu.be/dNej0Nonlw0

This is what happens when you can’t sleep. I play on this forum site. LOL

Ha - thanks for the comments and linkeys. It's funny how Kevin always kids that I love EVERYTHING music, but gotta say I was never a fan of NWA, Ice-T, Ice Cube, and 2 Live Crew. However....that Sir Mix a Lot "Big Butts" song is a classic and hilarious....and...

OMG ....
    that song done by none other than Kevin & Bentz! during the wee hours of 70K 2011 karaoke was a true highlight of the whole damn cruise for me! Forget Terji of Tyr wearing those ultra tight leather pants* and give me KevinBentz karaoke! :lol: :lol: I think I have some pics and maybe even some video - need to dig those out. :mrgreen:

(something tells me some of peeps round here are thinking WTF are you people talkin' about Willis? :P)

*uh....just kidding re the "forget Terji" comment :beerwink: :trashdrink: :viking:
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Damn! I missed Kevin and Bentz singin' about Big Butts.
    I wonder if Kevin won the Big Butt comparison.
    Oops, did I write that. LOL
    "What's you talkin' about Willis" LOL Priceless. We need Benson back!
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Michael D. wrote:Damn! I missed Kevin and Bentz singin' about Big Butts.

If that song had come out earlier, it would have made an amusing smoking ad.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:06 pm

sageoftruth wrote:

If that song had come out earlier, it would have made an amusing smoking ad.

:lol:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:58 am

The Kevin/Bentz! duo was the best!

Oh, and I forgot another favorite African-American R & B/pop star in my long list above - Jason Derulo - crazy about him, his music, and videos - sexy! :P

Jason Derulo: Whatcha Say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBI3lc18k8Q
    Jason Derulo: Fight for You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV36OEBW ... re=branded (uses some of lyrics/melody of the song Africa by Toto :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGJy8qNNjuI )
    Jason Derulo: It Girl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oGUHRXT ... re=branded

and now off to work - adios. :P
  • Disco
    Chief Petty Officer

by Disco » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:36 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    Disco wrote:I'm not ashamed to admit it, I'm a huge fan of the King of Pop. He was great a entertainer.

I myself play in a progressive rock band which means I'm into bands like

Pink Floyd
    ELP
    Yes
    King Crimson
    Rush
    Jethro Tull
    Porcupine Tree
    Curved Air (if you've never heard of them, check them out on youtube)

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time. I like some Alternative mostly early. I like 70's lite rock. I've been a fan of the Gipsy Kings since I was 7. A little bit Rap/Hip hop but I only like a select few, same with Country.

And DISCO right?........... :P a little.. ;) Bee Gee's perhaps?................................................................I feel a "slither slap" comin on

A little late responding to you Deb but, yes I absolutely love the Bee Gees.
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue May 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Another 2010 thread - BUMP!! (maybe some new folks will want to add to it)

I was inspired to bump this thread because the set times/schedule came out today for this summer's Lollapalooza in Chicago (wow - imagine that - several months in advance :P ;) ) and I was perusing the list for opening day (the only day my husband and I bought tix for - mainly for New Order and Nine Inch Nails, but lo and behold - Ghost is playing that day as well)....and noticed the name Thievery Corporation - I think I've seen the name on some of our music magazines at work, but never listened to them. Based on what I've listened to this afternoon - very excited. http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/band/thi ... orporation .... described by wiki: "Their music style mixes elements of dub, acid jazz, reggae, Indian classical, Middle Eastern, and Brazilian (such as bossa nova)." :cool: I don't know if I mentioned this on this thread before - but we have a lot of compilation reggae, acid jazz, trip-hop and even some jazzy bossa nova CDs (many which we bought in the early-mid 90s when we were big into that kind of thing) at home and like to play that kinda stuff when we have friends over. In a word - groovy. :P

Thievery Corporation: Warning Shots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTVDjdnvg7c
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Wed May 15, 2013 6:02 am

I'm game.
    I used to listen to a great deal more classic rock than I do now, but some things (Jethro Tull, The Doors, David Bowie) I hold dear still.
    My tastes for electronic music have also diminished a bit, but I still listen to a bit of Ministry and old Skinny Puppy albums.
    I enjoy a lot of old rock, blues, country, and jazz. Specifically Led Belly, Muddy Waters, Roy Orbison, J. Cash, Patsy Cline, T.S. Monk, Miles Davis, Coltrane.
    Most 80's new wave is at least ammusing, as is most J-pop. Though I think I've addicted my kids to j-pop, the tolerance is waring thin.
    Early punk is always good, Black Flag, Bad Brains, The Ramones, The Misfits, Etc.
    Various other things: Tom Waits, The Pogues, Brahms, Khronos Quartet, Björk, Portishead...
    There is probably some other non-metal stuff that is fairly important to me, but I can't think of what.
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Thu May 16, 2013 8:13 am

I like some Goth, Industrial, and Techno, with the occasional Punkish kinda band -

two of my very fav bands are not metal at all

Bella Morte and Calabrese

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu May 16, 2013 8:43 am

I can enjoy hip hop as long as it is funny. Usually it has to be parody hip hop, like Lonely Island, or Professor Elemental. The serious kind puts me off because I don't know how to take it seriously.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Moved this from the 2013 album of the year thread to not derail it too much with Daft Punk/disco/pop/Nile Rodgers/Chic talk!

Laura wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    Laura wrote:
    Daft Punk: Get Lucky http://youtu.be/h5EofwRzit0

Sorry, but I actually really really hate this song :oops:

Haha - well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one (and I'm sure you're not alone!). I think it's fantastic (definitely up there with many of the tracks from Saturday Night Fever. ;) ) I love the songs featuring Nile Rodgers (formerly of Chic and many other groups - such a cool guy & sound - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_Rodgers ...the whole album is great though. Anyway, don't mean to derail this thread with too much Daft Punk/disco/pop talk - maybe I'll continue my blather on Off-course somewhere. :P

viathyn wrote:I've got the album and enjoy it. However, "get lucky" is on EVERYWHERE and I really, really hate that song.

The rest of the album is better.

DISCO! :D :headbanger: I must say I will always have a soft spot in my heart (awww) for 70s era disco music...so many wonderful ("random access" ;) ) memories of "teen night" at the local discotheque (named 2001 and complete with space-aged themed interior and many a disco ball!), disco dances in the high school gym, seeing Saturday Night Fever in the theater when it came out, and so on. :lol: This is why I was so immediately taken with Daft Punk's recent Random Access Memories album, and especially the "Get Lucky" song (featuring Pharrel & Nile Rodgers) - it is so reminiscent of the overall vibe of 70s style disco, in particular songs like Le Freak, Dance, Dance, Dance, Good Times & others by the band Chic....no surprises there since Nile Rodgers was co-founder of that band. Anyway, when I first heard the song, it immediately & magically took me back. I really can't think of any other (disco dance type) new song I've heard in the past few decades (at least) that hit the nail on that (disco) head so perfectly as in perfect beat, perfect groove. And the beauty of it is for me is that it is very simple & uncomplicated as so many of the great disco hits were. (and I could say that about a lot of other pop hits past & present - but I won't get into that now)

As far as being overplayed, I haven't really heard it much outside of when I play it on my iPhone....so, I guess I'm not EVERYWHERE.... at least not in m(any) places where a song like that would be played? :P

If anyone cares :P - here is some classic Chic! Gaaah - I started looking/listening to a ton of disco hits tonight.... But will just link these for now.
    Chic: Le Freak (live in 1979 - how I remember them) http://youtu.be/Ud0ydA1hxrI

Chic: Le Freak (live in Montreaux, 2004) http://youtu.be/WsKPPL-j6kE

Chic: I Want Your Love http://youtu.be/2EAsRuz9gpg

and one last one for now - another all-time favorite. :P
    The Bee Gees: Night Fever http://youtu.be/-ihs-vT9T3Q
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:51 am

Don't know if I posted this on here but I have a really soft spot for soundtracks. Nothing hits home for me harder than James Horner's Star Trek II and III soundtracks and especially Krull. Also, I love me some video game soundtracks such as the classics Final Fantasy VI (American III), and Secret of Mana just to name a couple.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:42 am

Thread bump!!

Found out recently about this rare appearance by the French progressive rock band Magma. They were not on my music radar growing up in the 60s and 70s...but have seen them referenced in various places over the years. Just started listening to them on Spotify. The music is unusual, trippy, bizzarre and tres cool (described as Zeuhl, progressive rock, avant-rock, jazz fusion, art rock)

I love the various descriptions of them: (from the Reggie's site: http://www.reggieslive.com/show/magma/)
    Magma was founded in Paris in 1969 by Christian Vander, who derived his inspiration from a “vision of humanity’s spiritual and ecological future” that profoundly disturbed him. Vander was a self-taught musician, who received some tips from drum legend Elvin Jones. In the course of Magma’s first album, the band tells the story of a group of people fleeing a doomed Earth to settle on the planet Kobaïa. Later, conflict arises when the Kobaïans, who are descendants of the original colonists, encounter other Earth refugees. A distinguished aspect of Magma’s music is that Vander actually invented a constructed language, Kobaïan, in which most lyrics are sung. Later albums told different stories set in more ancient times; however the Kobaïan language remained an integral part of the music. Reportedly, Christian Vander is also highly influenced by the work of jazz legend John Coltrane. “For my work, it is still Coltrane who actually gives me the real material to work on, to be able to move on.,” says Vander.
    Magma:
    Christian Vander
    Stella Vander
    Isabelle Feuillebois
    Hervé Aknin
    Benoit Alziary
    James Mac Gaw
    Jérémie Ternoy
    Philippe Bussonnet.

I think it is a don't miss gig although I'm gonna hold off just a bit on buying a ticket.

• Disco
    Chief Petty Officer

by Disco » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:34 pm

Laura wrote:Thread bump!!

Found out recently about this rare appearance by the French progressive rock band Magma. They were not on my music radar growing up in the 60s and 70s...but have seen them referenced in various places over the years. Just started listening to them on Spotify. The music is unusual, trippy, bizzarre and tres cool (described as Zeuhl, progressive rock, avant-rock, jazz fusion, art rock)

I love the various descriptions of them: (from the Reggie's site: http://www.reggieslive.com/show/magma/)
    Magma was founded in Paris in 1969 by Christian Vander, who derived his inspiration from a “vision of humanity’s spiritual and ecological future” that profoundly disturbed him. Vander was a self-taught musician, who received some tips from drum legend Elvin Jones. In the course of Magma’s first album, the band tells the story of a group of people fleeing a doomed Earth to settle on the planet Kobaïa. Later, conflict arises when the Kobaïans, who are descendants of the original colonists, encounter other Earth refugees. A distinguished aspect of Magma’s music is that Vander actually invented a constructed language, Kobaïan, in which most lyrics are sung. Later albums told different stories set in more ancient times; however the Kobaïan language remained an integral part of the music. Reportedly, Christian Vander is also highly influenced by the work of jazz legend John Coltrane. “For my work, it is still Coltrane who actually gives me the real material to work on, to be able to move on.,” says Vander.
    Magma:
    Christian Vander
    Stella Vander
    Isabelle Feuillebois
    Hervé Aknin
    Benoit Alziary
    James Mac Gaw
    Jérémie Ternoy
    Philippe Bussonnet.

I think it is a don't miss gig although I'm gonna hold off just a bit on buying a ticket.

Yes I first heard of them from one of my cabin mates when I was on the Melloboat Cruise back in '08.

Are you familiar with the band Gong? Their sound is slightly similar Magma but more melodic.
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:09 pm

^^^^ hey there!!!....I got so excited about Magma today. A friend at work & I were talking about them - she said her older bro was a huge fan back in the day - and that she would love to go...and then I realized I'll be in NYC that week - D'OH!! Even checked when Magma will be in NYC, but I will have moved on to Florida at that point for more vacation. I'm quite disappointed in that I really enjoyed listening to them today, but oh well! Can't do everything. I am very excited, however (and speaking of what kinds of music I like besides metal), to be taking our younger daughter (as part of a special 16th birthday trip) to see Lucia de Lammermoor at NYC's Metropolitan Opera in April http://www.metopera.org/metopera/season ... stomid=829. My parents took me to see it when I was very young (6 or 7?) and that particular performance had quite a profound life long influence on me. It was so bizarre and intense (especially the "mad scene") to my young mind, that of course I loved it - haha. Haven't seen it since then - will be interesting to see what I think now.

I don't know of Gong - will check them out.
    ewest305
    Oiler

by ewest305 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:39 pm

I listen to a lot of folk. Like Tracy Chapman. Also, I just discovered some groups like Broods, Red Wanting Blue, White Lies.
    Also a long time glam fan. Motley Crue, LA Guns, Poison, etc.
    Cool thread. :metalguy:
    2017: Cabin #8660
    2015: Cabin #6314
    2014: Cabin #2534
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:58 pm

A *lot* of classical, movie/video games soundtracks, and a bit of opera as well. I love most any kind of rock & roll. Elvis, Queen, Zeppelin, The Black Keys, you name it. I even take guilty pleasure in a bit of glam rock and post-grunge. Also pretty fond of the blues
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:25 am

Other than metal? Hard rock, prog, occasionally folk, bluegrass, or classical.

Individual bands: Jethro Tull, Rush, Queen, AC/DC, Flogging Molly, The Dubliners, The Blaggards, Tempest, The Black Mages.
  • dparul
    Wiper

by dparul » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:10 am

I am listening Nirvana Band, its awesome. i like it so much.
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:11 pm

I also like:

- classic rock
    - '90s alt rock especially a lot of that weird, quirky shit
    - intelligent hip hop, the nerdier the better
    - industrial music
    - punk rock, especially Dead Kennedys and NoFX
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    xelI777
    Wiper

by xelI777 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Baroque: Bach, Vivaldi, Krieger, Handel, etc.

Neofolk: Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio, Derniere Volonte, Sturmpercht, Camerata Mediolanense, Sol Invictus, etc.

Synthpop/futurepop/whatever: VNV Nation, Assemblage 23, Pride and Fall, etc
    Wishlist: Amorphis, Amon Amarth, Anaal Nathrakh, Behemoth, Finntroll, Gehennah, Misery Index, Venom.

Wishlist (too good to be true): Amorphis, Anaal Nathrakh, Agalloch, Gehennah, Moonspell, October Falls, Wolfheart.
  • Disco
    Chief Petty Officer

by Disco » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:19 am

bangers wrote:Classical guitar.

very very beautiful.

I play classical guitar. :smoking:
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018