Post Reply 9100 posts
random rejoicing thread
    WizardBeast
    Captain

Re: random rejoicing thread

by WizardBeast » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:16 pm

i just ate a salad...with chopsticks. i have switched to chopsticks for salad because it is easier to grab all the leaves and stuff outta there with them rather than poke them with a fork. at least for me anyway.

folks, GRABBING is better than STABBING!

NOM NOM NOM. i wonder if any people of the Asian Persuasion will be joining us? Indians/Chinese/Thai/Indonesian/Japanese? i would expect some Japanese folks perhaps. lots of metal fans there. don't see any on the board tho.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:56 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:it was 17 exactly after i posted that, TWO MORE HOP ONS!

now 21 users! said the record is 22 users...WOW!

Forum crashed for me for about half an hour thanks to the crowd. No one else though it seemed. Came back to tonnes of new posts... sorry.. TONS!!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Work will be over less than an hr. W00T!!!
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:59 pm

same crash here...
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:04 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:it was 17 exactly after i posted that, TWO MORE HOP ONS!

now 21 users! said the record is 22 users...WOW!

Forum crashed for me for about half an hour thanks to the crowd. No one else though it seemed. Came back to tonnes of new posts... sorry.. TONS!!

no it crashed for a half hour for me too! random rejoicing turned to random bitching quickly (see facebook status)
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:28 pm

couldnt be any happier right now
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:32 pm

Yesterday my flight to Miami was changed from the Qantas A380 to a Boeing 747! So happy! Was not looking forward to flying an A380 all the way to LAX.

:beerhorns:
    Last edited by Evican on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Evican wrote:Yesterday my flight to Miami was changed from the Qantas A380 to a Boeing 474! So happy! Was not looking forward to flying an A380 all the way to LAX.

:beerhorns:

Yeah that is much better! Good deal.
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:26 pm

rhiawiz wrote:Yeah that is much better! Good deal.

I feel a lot better knowing that I am not going to be on an A380! Especially a Qantas one. The 747s still have Rolls Royce engines though. :|
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:05 am

Wasn't sure if this should go here or the bitching thread but I'm trying to stay positive.

Been feeling stuck in current job for a while. Lots good about it such as 4 day weeks, my choice of days, lots of seniority meaning lots of time off and can't be bumped out of position by problems elsewhere and can bump someone else if forced to. But the money hasn't gone up in 7 years and management has really gone downhill this year after just finally improving a great deal in the 2 prior to that. Because of the upside though, I've turned down a couple opportunities in recent months where the money was a little better and the potential for advancement and such was far greater than here. I wasn't thrilled about it but just went with the comfort zone rather than the risk and stress of change.

Well, tonight I got to work and holy crap! Everyone got letters saying that they're 'restructuring' our program (and another one) and everyone's hours have changed. My letter put me on 8 hour overnight shifts, Tuesday to Saturday!! So no weekends, no more 9.5 hour shifts x 4 days/week and some of the other restructuring just seems designed to make everyone's jobs more difficult and less effective.

So, aside from being :shock: :? :cry: :evil: :shock: :shock: :shock: ...

It would appear the decision has been made for me and it's time for another chapter in my working life. It may be that the Tues-Sat thing is just an oversight on their part but even still, this isn't a job I'd want to do 5 nights/week. The overnights and some of the other stresses just really demand the R&R (Relaxation and Recovery) time that the 3 day weekends provide(d).

So, the changes kick in on January 3rd. I figure I'll line up something new between now and mid-January so then, ideally, I can start the new job when I return from 70K Tons of Kickass Metal :headbanger:

Wish me luck! It's probably about time I left the darkness of night and rejoined the land of the living. :lol:

last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:08 am

I like that fact that you're staying positive! I hope you'll find a better job, soon
    how comes you can switch jobs that quickly? we usually have a 1-3 months period of notice here

about not getting a raise in seven years:
    in Switzerland (or Europe in general) the prices you pay in the store go down and down - especially for food
    this whole dynamic is driven by consumerism; but the wholesalers don't pay for it, they make the producers pay for it
    and "nobody" sees where this is going: we can't pay our employees more - and therefore they might even end up with a smaller buying power (because other things like health insurance cost more and more)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:39 am

last_candle wrote:I like that fact that you're staying positive! I hope you'll find a better job, soon
    how comes you can switch jobs that quickly? we usually have a 1-3 months period of notice here

The typical amount of notice an employee give and employer here, when choosing to leave a job, is 2 weeks. The last job I left, I gave them 2 months notice as I was in no rush but needed to move on and knew they would need time to find a suitable replacement. If an employer is firing someone or laying them off, they tend to give 2 weeks as well. Regardless of how soon I find a new job or when it would begin, I would give these guys 2 weeks notice but no more. They've earned no loyalty whatsoever in my eyes lol. In fact, if it were to my advantage in terms of starting a new job, I may not even give them notice, but I'm sort of pissed off right now so that could change :lol:

last_candle wrote:about not getting a raise in seven years:
    in Switzerland (or Europe in general) the prices you pay in the store go down and down - especially for food
    this whole dynamic is driven by consumerism; but the wholesalers don't pay for it, they make the producers pay for it
    and "nobody" sees where this is going: we can't pay our employees more - and therefore they might even end up with a smaller buying power (because other things like health insurance cost more and more)

Yes, I'm certainly not the only who has been on the ugly end of things in terms of local economic realities. The thing is though, I sort of got screwed by my union in that the way they negotiated with the employer's union left me in a unique 'wage grid'. I ended up watching every single one of my colleagues and co-workers get raises AND cost of living increases to their wages on various occasions while my income hasn't changed at all (unless you count the fact that they cut my hours back by 1 hour per week a few months ago) and the cost of almost everything has gone up (my rent and my car insurance have remained the same over the past 6 years).

But yeah. Just stating facts. Thing is, I know there are millions and millions of people who have it far worse than I do and I'm confident I can find a cool new job of some kind once I put my mind to it. Maybe this is a good time for a BIG change. I wonder if they're hiring in Cozumel ;)

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:14 am

good luck pengy, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you! no raise in 7 years is really disheartening, i don't see how employers don't get that at bare minimum, a cost of living raise is totally necessary and probably part of the reason the economy's so bad - rich get richer and the working stiffs lose buying power, and since our economy is 70% consumer base, things collapse and now we need to give tax cuts to the rich? obviously per many studies done by economists, that doesn't put one red cent into the economy and makes us borrow more money from the Chinese!

sounds like your "seniority" isn't buying you a whole lot right now.

my mom's boyfriend is in the same boat with no raise for 6-7 years, but as he lives in Cleveland where the economy has sucked far longer than it has elsewhere, they tell him, "yeah go find another job if you don't like it" cuz there ARE none!

i am fortunate to have a good paying job, but it's not like i didn't work my ass off to get here either....lots of studying, valedictorian of my class, bachelor's + master's degrees etc, working in restaurants and mail rooms and steel factories and shitty hillbilly bars to get by through the really tough times. anyway i feel ya, and i sure hope you find something better!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Looks like lots happening really fast but the short version is that we had a killer staff/management meeting yesterday and accomplished a lot and I was given lots of reasons to feel optimistic about the new team at the helm. The CEO of the larger agency that bought our agency arrived for the last hour of the meeting and did some dmg control and shared a lot of helpful insight/info. She offered to meet with each of us individually but I let some colleagues with more urgent concerns have at her first and scheduled to meet with her during my time off the week after next. I've got a feeling that meeting could lead to some cool changes in my role within the larger agency so feeling pretty optimistic atm.

Mucho appreciado for the support!!
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:21 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Looks like lots happening really fast but the short version is that we had a killer staff/management meeting yesterday and accomplished a lot and I was given lots of reasons to feel optimistic about the new team at the helm. The CEO of the agency that bought our arrived for the last hour of the meeting and did some dmg control and shared a lot of helpful insight/info. She offered to meet with each of us individually but I let some colleagues with more urgent concerns have at her first and scheduled to meet with her during my time off the week after next. I've got a feeling that meeting could lead to some cool changes in my role within the larger agency so feeling pretty optimistic atm.

oh cool! very good news! i'll keep 'em crossed for ya my dear! i am too hoping for my good news at work in a couple of weeks. moving to a new department, getting a new office with a window, more enjoyable responsibilities, nice teammates, and hopefully a commensurate salary.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks!

How'd the belt/rank testing go?

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:28 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Thanks!

How'd the belt/rank testing go?

just got home! i am sweaty, exhausted and the proud owner of my purple belt! GRRR!!!!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:35 pm

WTG!!

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:37 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:WTG!!

thank you (deep bows)
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:19 am

I just remembered I have a $1000 Rewards Visa from a sales program from Volvo that I won.
    It's good till April,2011.......................
    :cheers: :givebeer: :heavydrink: :party:
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:26 am

Jaimie38 wrote:I just remembered I have a $1000 Rewards Visa from a sales program from Volvo that I won.

So does that mean that you've got the first round covered? :givebeer:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:48 am

While the rest of the US freezes and gets buried in snow, Southern California may be setting record high temperatures today :cool:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:36 am

Jaimie38 wrote:I just remembered I have a $1000 Rewards Visa from a sales program from Volvo that I won.

holy shit, that's awesome!!!!!
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:40 am

You are Welcome! Who's going to the Bear's Game??
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:37 am

Jaimie38 wrote:Image

You are Welcome! Who's going to the Bear's Game??

I'm still in the warm part of that map in Denver - we haven't had ANY winter weather yet! very late this year.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Leaving in an hour to meet up with and provide assessment for my FIRST STUDENT!!

Damn I hope I learned something! :?

Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Glad to hear King Diamond is recovering well from his TRIPLE BYPASS surgery, so I guess that's a reason to rejoice :headbanger:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:41 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Leaving in an hour to meet up with and provide assessment for my FIRST STUDENT!!

first student? what you teachin'?
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:41 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:Leaving in an hour to meet up with and provide assessment for my FIRST STUDENT!!

Spent much of the year working towards a certificate in ESL/TESOL Tutoring (English for speakers of other languages).

Well, the meeting went really good but maybe not a good match. Very advanced student who's pursuing a graduate degree. I could help her in some areas but her main goals revolve around academic level writing so I think she needs a tutor who has a degree and more experience at that level of writing. Learned a lot about the whole 'sales pitch' side of things though and was able to accomplish a lot of the initial assessment tasks I'd set out for myself. If nothing else, at least some of my advertising efforts finally paid off so that's encouraging.

debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:50 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:

Spent much of the year working towards a certificate in ESL/TESOL Tutoring (English for speakers of other languages).

Well, the meeting went really good but maybe not a good match. Very advanced student who's pursuing a graduate degree. I could help her in some areas but her main goals revolve around academic level writing so I think she needs a tutor who has a degree and more experience at that level of writing. Learned a lot about the whole 'sales pitch' side of things though and was able to accomplish a lot of the initial assessment tasks I'd set out for myself. If nothing else, at least some of my advertising efforts finally paid off so that's encouraging.

Good for you Rob!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:21 am

rhiawiz wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:Looks like lots happening really fast but the short version is that we had a killer staff/management meeting yesterday and accomplished a lot and I was given lots of reasons to feel optimistic about the new team at the helm. The CEO of the agency that bought our arrived for the last hour of the meeting and did some dmg control and shared a lot of helpful insight/info. She offered to meet with each of us individually but I let some colleagues with more urgent concerns have at her first and scheduled to meet with her during my time off the week after next. I've got a feeling that meeting could lead to some cool changes in my role within the larger agency so feeling pretty optimistic atm.

oh cool! very good news! i'll keep 'em crossed for ya my dear! i am too hoping for my good news at work in a couple of weeks. moving to a new department, getting a new office with a window, more enjoyable responsibilities, nice teammates, and hopefully a commensurate salary.

Not to further spew into the element of this thread that feels like it's fast becoming the mini-series 'As The Penguin Turns' but, learned in the past day that the CEO is now taking me for DINNER on Thursday night. Sort of caught me off guard but I guess I'll find out soon enough how that's all gonna go. I've already planned most of what I hope to say and accomplish but it almost seems like she may have something in mind already. :?

asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Not to further spew into the element of this thread that feels like it's fast becoming the mini-series 'As The Penguin Turns' but, learned in the past day that the CEO is now taking me for DINNER on Thursday night. Sort of caught me off guard but I guess I'll find out soon enough how that's all gonna go. I've already planned most of what I hope to say and accomplish but it almost seems like she may have something in mind already. :?

I'm sure its something good! Good luck!

In other news. My fiance's rice burner passed the Texas emission inspection and now we don't have to worry about paying $170 for the ticket. :D
    Cabin # 6072
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:38 pm

asmegin wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:Not to further spew into the element of this thread that feels like it's fast becoming the mini-series 'As The Penguin Turns' but, learned in the past day that the CEO is now taking me for DINNER on Thursday night. Sort of caught me off guard but I guess I'll find out soon enough how that's all gonna go. I've already planned most of what I hope to say and accomplish but it almost seems like she may have something in mind already. :?

In other news. My fiance's rice burner passed the Texas emission inspection and now we don't have to worry about paying $170 for the ticket. :D

I think you two need to get married on the boat!!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    asmegin wrote:

I think you two need to get married on the boat!!

We did look into that, but they don't have a certified person to do it on that ship. There are other things too that they suggested but ended being too much money.

We wouldn't mind a Metal Ceremonial Wedding though with the help of Amon Amarth lol.
    Cabin # 6072
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:25 pm

asmegin wrote:We did look into that, but they don't have a certified person to do it on that ship. There are other things too that they suggested but ended being too much money.

We wouldn't mind a Metal Ceremonial Wedding though with the help of Amon Amarth lol.

That would be actually pretty cool to look into - like here in Canada you can apply to be a temporary Marriage Commissioner (like Minister for a day kind of deal) and you can legally perform the ceremony. Fill out/create a Marriage Statement and submit it to the government for a marriage certificate. Easy. Considering we would be in international waters might want to check into the laws/regulations for that to make sure its a legally binding marriage ceremony and the proper procedures are in place to make it so.

Would be awesome if you could convince one of the band members to marry you both, if not I'm sure you wouldn't be short of volunteers if the application process was easy enough :)

And huge congratulations btw. That is really sweet that you're even considering doing that on the boat!
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:06 pm

May be old news to some, but I just heard & I'm really jazzed for humanity(for once!). Someone was recently cured of HIV in a one in a million freak accident after stem cell therapy(ANNNNNNNNND WE HAVE ANOTHER REASON THAT ITS AMAZING) meant to cure leukemia, it seems.
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/12/14/doctors-claim-hiv-positive-man-cured-stem-cell-transplant/

Unfortunately, odds of anyone but the very rich & very lucky(the odds of being a match for stem cells are small enough, but the person who donated would also have to have a genetic defect of cells that don't the little receptor that lets the HIV virus into cells) would be able to undergo treatment right now(if it would even work the same way, again. Sadly, only one percent of the Caucasian population have it & no blacks carry it....But, baby steps, people! We're one step closer to a cure !
    D E C K 6
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:09 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:... the CEO is now taking me for DINNER on Thursday night. Sort of caught me off guard but I guess I'll find out soon enough how that's all gonna go. I've already planned most of what I hope to say and accomplish but it almost seems like she may have something in mind already. :?

Just remember to wear a condom okay? Am I the only one that read the post and immediately thought she wanted to sleep with him? Anyone?
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:20 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:... the CEO is now taking me for DINNER on Thursday night. Sort of caught me off guard but I guess I'll find out soon enough how that's all gonna go. I've already planned most of what I hope to say and accomplish but it almost seems like she may have something in mind already. :?

Just remember to wear a condom okay? Am I the only one that read the post and immediately thought she wanted to sleep with him? Anyone?

:lol:

Well business or otherwise good luck Rob! :beerwink:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:06 pm

I went back using this for my hair.

Needless to say, my hair feels AWESOME!
    Cabin # 6072
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:49 am

mooyagi wrote:

LMFAO!! I didn't even think of that but I can see how it sounded lol... Damn, you may be onto something. I mean, I highly doubt it but, if i re-read some of the e-mails she's sent me and apply this particular perspective, it does seem very much like that's what's in store. Okay, just gonna put that one out of my mind now haha!

If I reply to this thread on Thursday night with :shock: then you'll know things took a very shocking turn :lol:

Post Reply 9100 posts