Post Reply 109 posts
Exotic Accents!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

Exotic Accents!

by WizardBeast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:43 pm

i'm so sorry if i am de-personalizing anyone, but as an American, i am VERY VERY excited to be partying with people from all over the world and HEARING YOU TALK!

i will DIE from excitement hearing all of these exotic accents from all over the globe, men and women both. I really have thought about that! I just love accents (except a few in the states...but other ones, yeah).

any French speakers? I'll speak a bit of French with folks! i know people with many different accents are coming - please speak softly into my ear ok? raaooow. swedish, norwegian, northern german...and french...YES PLEASE. others welcome too. i have big ears you can't miss 'em!
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

Re: Exotic Accents!

by Daenerys » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:57 pm

I am SO with you on this!! One of the most exciting things to me about this cruise is how it is so international; I just love accents, especially those of all our Aussies joining us! :cheers: Hoping to be able to use my Spanish (more so than usual, anyway!). Most cruises will post a list of all the countries the passengers are from in the booklet they give you when you board, so that should be really cool to see!
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-Ihsahn-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:19 pm

You know, when I drink enough I bring out my New England accent. It's wicked fackin' pissah, kid.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:36 pm

mooyagi wrote:You know, when I drink enough I bring out my New England accent. It's wicked fackin' pissah, kid.

will you be all like "how bout THEM apples?!?" wikked aaaahsum
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:41 pm

As a huge geography nerd and someone who's interested in language, culture etc. I used to work as a tour guide when I was 17 (long hair and wearing my ...And Justice for All tour shirt) people would be floored that I knew where they were from.

While I haven't travelled as much as I would have liked ( Monaco and Sweden) so chatting with everyone will be very exciting!!
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:As a huge geography nerd and someone who's interested in language, culture etc. I used to work as a tour guide when I was 17 (long hair and wearing my ...And Justice for All tour shirt) people would be floored that I knew where they were from.

While I haven't travelled as much as I would have liked ( Monaco and Sweden) so chatting with everyone will be very exciting!!

me too - i have a Master's in Geography for pete's sake! so cool indeed can't wait!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:43 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:You know, when I drink enough I bring out my New England accent. It's wicked fackin' pissah, kid.

Is "how bout them apples" really just a New England thing? Growing up, I thought everybody said that!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:47 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:

Is "how bout them apples" really just a New England thing? Growing up, I thought everybody said that!

not in the midwest! i have an ex who moved to boston, saw him less than 2 years later and he could not STOP saying "wicked" this and that i'm like oh please you are from Cleveland.
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:49 pm

me too - i have a Master's in Geography for pete's sake! so cool indeed can't wait!Deck 4 - Or wherever the party is
    rhiawiz

All Right!!! We'll play drunken alphabet!!!! - :cheers:
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:me too - i have a Master's in Geography for pete's sake! so cool indeed can't wait!Deck 4 - Or wherever the party is
    rhiawiz

All Right!!! We'll play drunken alphabet!!!! - :cheers:

i have been bored on flights before and had a blank world map and got up to 176 countries or something from memory. i SUCK at Africa though... :-( never took a class in Geog. of Africa.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:53 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

not in the midwest! i have an ex who moved to boston, saw him less than 2 years later and he could not STOP saying "wicked" this and that i'm like oh please you are from Cleveland.

It's really funny to see "foreigners" attempt a Boston accent. They are too obvious. My little cousins out here in SoCal try using "wicked" sometimes and usually fail miserably. Also, the first person to ask me to say "Pahk the cah in Hahvuhd yahd" is getting thrown ovahbo-ed.

I'm also quite interested in language, especially the various regional dialects that exist within a language. I've never studied it in school but it's a pretty neat subject.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:56 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

It's really funny to see "foreigners" attempt a Boston accent. They are too obvious. My little cousins out here in SoCal try using "wicked" sometimes and usually fail miserably. Also, the first person to ask me to say "Pahk the cah in Hahvuhd yahd" is getting thrown ovahbo-ed.

I'm also quite interested in language, especially the various regional dialects that exist within a language. I've never studied it in school but it's a pretty neat subject.

i think word etymology and origins of languages (language families and spread) to be utterly fascinating too! i heart metal dorks!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:57 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    i heart metal dorks!

Is it even possible to love metal and not be a dork? :D
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:57 pm

actually the pahk your caaah in haahvaahhd yaahd thing is funniest in the contest of one of my geography professors - she grew up in Germany then lived in Boston for many years! She had a total Bostonian German accent! it was WICKED STRANGE!

and only the uncool poser metalheads might possibly escape dorkdom. but they are not worth knowing.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:03 pm

My wife is 100% Turkish, she is fluent in English but has a very thick, killer accent.
    It is a joy to listen to her read
    and gives me a ready made excuse for not listening when she makes silly demands.
    "Ooohhh you wanted me to help you with that? I must have misunderstood..." :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Here's a fun little guide to Boston english.

http://www.universalhub.com/glossary/index.html

My accent really isn't bad at all (I'm from Northern New England) but it can get comical when I drink too much.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:53 am

three weeks ago, we were in London and the first three places we went to the person we talked to spoke worse English than we did - accents aren't always that fun ;)
    accents are great as long as you still understand what the other one's saying
    unfortunately, my English didn't improve over the last few years - but I should manage to share some important pieces of information like "four more beers" or "bewbs"
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:47 am

^^Might have to order just vodka. That should be understandable.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:34 am

Daenerys wrote:I am SO with you on this!! One of the most exciting things to me about this cruise is how it is so international; I just love accents, especially those of all our Aussies joining us! :cheers: Hoping to be able to use my Spanish (more so than usual, anyway!). Most cruises will post a list of all the countries the passengers are from in the booklet they give you when you board, so that should be really cool to see!

I can help you there! :cheers:

I'm looking forward to the Finnish, Canadian and Dutch accents! At the very least I know there will be no shortage of Dutch or Canadian passengers to stalk and listen to speak. The booklet is a great idea. I would love to see all the metal fans and where they have traveled from to be on the cruise!
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    Brodd
    Petty Officer

by Brodd » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:25 am

You shouldn't look forward to hear my Danish accent. The Danish accent is probably one of the worst accents there is.
    Just listen to our good old Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY_c50YFKiY
    "Vi kæmper kun for øl
    Vi kæmper kun for øl
    Vi kæmper kun for øl og for penge
    Og hvis vi ingen penge får
    Og ingen øl ligeså
    Så må i kæmpe kampen uden os!"
    Skål!

70K 2011, Barge to Hell, 70K 2015
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:35 am

Evican wrote:
    Daenerys wrote:I am SO with you on this!! One of the most exciting things to me about this cruise is how it is so international; I just love accents, especially those of all our Aussies joining us! :cheers: Hoping to be able to use my Spanish (more so than usual, anyway!). Most cruises will post a list of all the countries the passengers are from in the booklet they give you when you board, so that should be really cool to see!

I can help you there! :cheers:

I'm looking forward to the Finnish, Canadian and Dutch accents! At the very least I know there will be no shortage of Dutch or Canadian passengers to stalk and listen to speak. The booklet is a great idea. I would love to see all the metal fans and where they have traveled from to be on the cruise!

You might be disappointed by our Canadian accents. Unless of course your looking for the quebec accents, I think theres a few of those on broad. I'll work on my "Take your boots off and sit down there on the chesterfield boy" accent just for you though. :heavydrink:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:10 am

I have already encountered this speaking to a few people at 70k help. They kept calling my cabin mate; MUWRIO- being spelled Mario. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, cant wait to hear more from my northern neighbors!
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:35 am

Wow.....I was just talking to Forbiddens manager last night and we were talking about this very subject!

I too cannot wait to hear all the different accents abroad this Metal Melting Pot!!....accents are sexy.....um....yeah.....and "some"....not so sexy....like Pahkin ya cah lmao
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:54 am

I, for one, cannot wait to unleash the sultry, sensual and scrumptious tones of my well-bred Edmontonian speech. Something tells me that at some point, you could find myself, Viathyn and Jamie (+ applicable roommates) jaunting down the corridors whilst hollaring some "traditional" phrases found in Canadiana lore.

Hope you folks like toques, mounties, ghost cars, hoodies, chesterfeilds, ehs and so forth
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:01 am

my Irish accent is barely noticeable when i'm sober.I've been told by a lot of people i don't have muhc of an accent at all.
    When i'm drunk it's a whole different story though hehe.Even some English people couldn't understand me when i'm drunk and my acent gets really strong :lol:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:11 am

Metalwrath wrote:my Irish accent is barely noticeable when i'm sober.I've been told by a lot of people i don't have muhc of an accent at all.
    When i'm drunk it's a whole different story though hehe.Even some English people couldn't understand me when i'm drunk and my acent gets really strong :lol:

i hope you plan to drink then! even "light" accents are really nice :-) irish accents = hot.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:12 am

Disaster Area wrote:My wife is 100% Turkish, she is fluent in English but has a very thick, killer accent.
    It is a joy to listen to her read
    and gives me a ready made excuse for not listening when she makes silly demands.
    "Ooohhh you wanted me to help you with that? I must have misunderstood..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

that is AWESOME! can't wait to meet her!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:15 am

Element0s wrote:I, for one, cannot wait to unleash the sultry, sensual and scrumptious tones of my well-bred Edmontonian speech. Something tells me that at some point, you could find myself, Viathyn and Jamie (+ applicable roommates) jaunting down the corridors whilst hollaring some "traditional" phrases found in Canadiana lore.

Hope you folks like toques, mounties, ghost cars, hoodies, chesterfeilds, ehs and so forth

i even like Canadian accents! bring it on. i am so excited to be hanging out with hundreds (seems like) of Canadians. I had the best times at Milwaukee metalfest with Canuks! you hosers! bring your hats and couches and all that slang i already know it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

maybe i sound biased but ALL my Canadian friends are pretty damned cool. i'd happily move up there too. Calgary looks kinda like Denver of the North.
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 am

rhiawiz wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote:my Irish accent is barely noticeable when i'm sober.I've been told by a lot of people i don't have muhc of an accent at all.

i hope you plan to drink then! even "light" accents are really nice :-) irish accents = hot.

ROFLMFAAAAOOOOOOOO.........
    THIS IS THE FUNNIEST REPLY IVE HEARD ON THIS FORUM........."Does our beloved Metalwrath (Peytah) plan on drinking??? Bwwwaaahahahahaaaa
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:16 pm

gnoff wrote:I can walk around speaking Swedish all the time, only problem is, will the cruise bar crew understand me and serve me beer?

do a lot of gesturing, you should be fine! better yet, teach the staff what ordering a beer is like in Swedish (and me too, maybe i'll visit your fine country someday)
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:56 pm

funilly enough after living in Sweden for 4 months in 06 the only things i know in Swedish are fuck and how to order a beer :lol:
    And for the drunk part.I intend to board the cruise drunk and depart drunk.
    Btw if you think i'm bad with the drinking wait till you meet my friend Simon from Sweden who's sharing a cabin with us :lol:
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Metalwrath wrote:funilly enough after living in Sweden for 4 months in 06 the only things i know in Swedish are fuck and how to order a beer :lol:
    Btw if you think i'm bad with the drinking wait till you meet my friend Simon from Sweden who's sharing a cabin with us :lol:

Simple SImon fron Sweden!........(much more fun to say with a lisp lol)
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:17 pm

rhiawiz wrote:teach the staff what ordering a beer is like in Swedish

En öl, tack.

I really should brush up on my Swedish as I've forgotten most of it.
    Wishlist:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Isn't it 'en stuh Starkh or something along that line with better speliing which basically just translates into ' a big strong' :lol:
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Metalwrath wrote:funilly enough after living in Sweden for 4 months in 06 the only things i know in Swedish are fuck and how to order a beer :lol:

we must party :heavydrink:
    I THINK ILL BE GIVING YOU AND YOUR CABIN A RUN FOR YOUR DRINKING MONEY! :lol:
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Heabymetawhunta wrote:

Haha that sounds like a challenge
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Metalwrath wrote:
    Heabymetawhunta wrote:

Haha that sounds like a challenge

well, i had a job as a lifeguard at one time. i will probably be watching for you drunk asses to make it out of the swimming pool ALIVE then!!!! drunken metalheads + pool + moshing = a concern to say the least. i sure hope i don't have to drag anyone's ass out of there. if i save anyone, it's free beer for me the rest of the trip!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Isn't it 'en stuh Starkh or something along that line with better speliing which basically just translates into ' a big strong' :lol:

Well, yes, both are ok I guess. "En stor stark" translates, like you said, into "a big strong" while "en öl, tack" translates into "a beer, please".
    Wishlist:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:08 pm

fun thread! I LOVE foreign accents. :D - very sexy imo

as for me....I honestly don't think I have an "accent" :lol: There supposedely is a "Chicago accent," but I don't think I have it...it seems like it is more of a south side kinda thing, maybe (I'm a north-sider). Anyway, got a kick out of this when I googled "Chicago accent"...http://www.wikihow.com/Fake-a-Chicago-Accent
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:10 pm

rhiawz looks like you have a long cruise ahead of you :lol:
Post Reply 109 posts