Locked 151 posts
More atheists on board?
    heatherlove
    Oiler

More atheists on board?

by heatherlove » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Weird question right after christmas holidays?
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: More atheists on board?

by Bentz! » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:42 pm

Atheist is #40!? Sweet! :roll:
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Hell yes! Bring Athiest on board!!
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Why ask? So you have a group of people NOT to go to the chapel with? Oooh! Maybe Richard Dawkins is being announced as the 40th band? :lol:
  • sar01061969
    Petty Officer

by sar01061969 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Yep i'm atheist and until i die! Im so sick of jesus preachers
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:55 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:Why ask? So you have a group of people NOT to go to the chapel with? Oooh! Maybe Richard Dawkins is being announced as the 40th band? :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Really, who the hell cares?

Hmmm... Where's Metalwrath when you need him?!
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    Bavarian Amped
    Crewman

by Bavarian Amped » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:05 pm

first search result from youtube (from my location)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcxxRJKkRLc

...BA :)

*edit*.. uhm.. my favorite footer normally: Stephen Hawking: Physics Leaves No Room For God" */edit*
    <<<upper palatinate beer control command>>>
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:16 pm

...........thread NOT approved :evil:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:26 pm

ATHEIST as #40 would indeed rule. If the guesses about #40 not being signed yet, then I would think it makes it more logical that an American band, (evene one in FL) who isn't doing anything right now could get the nod.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:52 pm

strange how no one is answering the question.....

I am not, but am close (to being atheist). I also celebrate Christmas and am not a Christian.

Go figure that one out. :roll:

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Ktulured55 wrote:strange how no one is answering the question.....

I am not, but am close (to being atheist). I also celebrate Christmas and am not a Christian.

Go figure that one out. :roll:

I guess cause it matters so little in the grand scheme of things and kinda boring to talk about. I tend to think most "metalheads" are smart enough to reason their ain't no magic man in the sky (as Carlin so eloquently put it).

I'm a big fan of Xmas. Presents, time off work, lights, festive music, cooler weather, Santa. It has ZERO religious connotation for me, it's the "season". Religion always mucks everything up. :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Noelolz
    Petty Officer

by Noelolz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 pm

debborah1 wrote:...........thread NOT approved :evil:

Yea seriously, where the hell did this come from? :?

Probably should have been posted in a different part of the forum....
    Bring on #7! Booked Cabin 2313!
    70k 2011, 2012, BTH, 2013, 2014, 2015 Survivor
    Wishlist: Haken*Edguy*SymphonyX*Moonspell*Devin Townsend*Masterplan*Gojira*Avantasia*Ayreon*Starkill*Arsis*Leprous*Anaal Nathrakh*Enslaved*Rhapsody of Fire
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Even if I did practice any kind of religion, I really don't think I'd be spending any amount of time talking about it on a vacation where myself & everyone else has so much more to do & see. I'm not trying to be rude, at all, but this is kind of an odd, "grasping at straws", way of paling around. Maybe I just feel this way because its so far down on my list of "interesting things" to talk about with new people. :?

ANYWHO. *My two cents* :lol: :beerwink:
    D E C K 6
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:16 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:Why ask? So you have a group of people NOT to go to the chapel with? Oooh! Maybe Richard Dawkins is being announced as the 40th band? :lol:

Seriously LOL'd. :cheers:
    D E C K 6
  • Pedro from Portugal
    Crewman

by Pedro from Portugal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Hey, why don't we give poor Heather a break??? Heather, my answer to you is that what matters is we all have one common religion: METAL!!!!!!! :shred:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Whenever discussion turns to religion, I hear the voice of Professor Farnsworth from Futurama in my head:

"Buddha! Zeus! God! One of you guys help me!....... Satan, you owe me!"

Or good old Homer Simpson:

"But I'm not a missionary! I don't even believe in Jebus"

Save me Jebus!

:P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Oh Graddus :roll:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Zod
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Kneel before ZOD!

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm glad someone got the reference :lol:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Word. I know my movies pretty well from 1980 onward..... (for the most part).... Anything that is a series/trilogy/etc.... I should know!

Now it's time to walk on water.....

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:57 am

^ ^^ ^^ ^
    Kept waiting for the punchline but I guess that's just a tried and true testament to how the worshipers of this guy found each other.

At least he's on the side of those with better musical tastes :headbanger:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_fYImox88I&feature=related

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:02 am

Cthulhu and the Elder Gods rule.
    Kidding aside, I think "don't worry about going mad, there's no avoiding it" makes a good guideline for anyone.
    Wishlist:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:09 am

Memnoch wrote:Kidding aside, I think "don't worry about going mad, there's no avoiding it" makes a good guideline for anyone.

You're telling me! Seems only a year ago mere hints of memory loss were making themselves known and now I... what was I gonna say? :?

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:11 am

Noelolz wrote:
    debborah1 wrote:...........thread NOT approved :evil:

Yea seriously, where the hell did this come from? :?

Probably should have been posted in a different part of the forum....

I agree. I believe that religious beliefs is a personal and private matter, only christians usually shoult from rooftops, but here I go, do not get me started.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:06 am

KevinP wrote:I'm a big fan of [...] lights

you're the same guy who claims power metal is gay, right? :P
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:26 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:I agree. I believe that religious beliefs is a personal and private matter, only christians usually shoult from rooftops, but here I go, do not get me started.

Forgive me if this does, in fact, count as getting you started Scott but I believe there's a number of ways of looking at this. Some which agree with what you say and some which may not (not sure I totally understood what you meant).

I mean, how many of our favourite artists sing/write about spiritual stuff? Hundreds! Do we condemn them for it or accuse them of proselytizing? Well, maybe some of the real overt, christian ones like Stryper we do, but those that sing about satanism or various occult paths and such. We could easily call that stuff 'shouting from the rooftops' too but we metal heads tend to eat that stuff up. It's just that, if it's a message we think is interesting, palatable or, especially, aligned with our own beliefs, we cheer for it. If it's that same old tired crap many of us and our peers have grown tired of then, yeah, we want no part of it.

And I agree not everyone is interested in talking about this stuff. And that's their right that should be respected like any other. But I've personally had MANY of my most memorable conversations and discussions about these very topics and pretty much always with other, willing participants whose views differed greatly or slightly from my own. The trick is/was that the conversations were always kept at a level of mutual respect and never went to a place of "I'm right/you're wrong". I mean, I can't honestly say I've yet to find any one path that would qualify as "complete truth" for me so how am I to learn more if no one wants to speak with me about what they believe? Just yesterday, Craig posted a link to a page about a philosophy I'd never heard of but much of it fits with what I believe to be true/plausible. If he'd kept that completely personal/private, I may never have had the opportunity to learn about it.

I think what may be one of the biggest attractions to the various non-mainstream (so many terms I could choose here lol) spiritual paths is that they're not exclusionary. They don't pretend to be the only path and they encourage followers to seek wherever they feel most comfortable or drawn and to do so without fear of being banished from the fold. They make it okay to 'belong' and still question and challenge the teachings without demanding blind adherence to dogmatic and often seemingly arbitrary structures.

I won't go link happy on this one but don't want to take credit for someone else's work so must credit Aaron Leitch - don't click if not interested in occult studies when I say that the beauty of today's vast information availability is that there's a veritable smorgasbord of options out there and no one telling us we can't explore them all (or none) if we choose. Clearly, sticking to the fundamentals of whatever path one chooses, at least for long enough to see how well it works and fits, is best. But an eclectic approach to exploration of so very many traditions and paths is a freedom we're blessed with today that almost no other generation ever had. Why would we not want to talk about what we find out there with those who are interested.

Now, yelling at those who are NOT interested is an entirely different matter. I suspect that's the specific dbags you were referring to in your post Scott (although, as stated many times, I could be wrong, it's happened more than once :)).

• ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:10 am

I love how the topic of atheism always spurs discussions of Christianity vs. non-Chrisitian spirituality. Sorry, just couldn't keep that observation to myself. ;)
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:14 am

I'll chime in and agree this is a rather lame topic to bring up on this forum, destined only to cause trouble or preachiness from one side or the other (trust me, heard TONS of preachy crap from athiests just as from other faiths. always lame). But I am surprised that I only caught one condescending, comment about being "more enlightened" than those you don't agree with. Very surprised, but in a good way.

This Cruise = Metal
    Athiesm =/= Metal

Now back to the totally relevant and metal thread about what I am eating right now...
  • Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:15 am

:lol:
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:16 am

ShoreSlayer wrote: Just yesterday, Craig posted a link to a page about a philosophy I'd never heard of but much of it fits with what I believe to be true/plausible. If he'd kept that completely personal/private, I may never have had the opportunity to learn about it.

Just in case anyone missed my link explaining my most deeply held beliefs, here it is again.
    http://www.extremelysmart.com/humor/beervsrel.php
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:18 am

...........yaWN.....scratch, scratch.........
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Noelolz
    Petty Officer

by Noelolz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 am

debborah1 wrote:...........yaWN.....scratch, scratch.........

:cheers: :lol:
    Bring on #7! Booked Cabin 2313!
    70k 2011, 2012, BTH, 2013, 2014, 2015 Survivor
    Wishlist: Haken*Edguy*SymphonyX*Moonspell*Devin Townsend*Masterplan*Gojira*Avantasia*Ayreon*Starkill*Arsis*Leprous*Anaal Nathrakh*Enslaved*Rhapsody of Fire
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 am

Noelolz wrote:
    debborah1 wrote:...........yaWN.....scratch, scratch.........

:cheers: :lol:

Oh cool! I'll reply to this and add another post to my count too! :death:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:44 am

Disaster Area wrote:Just in case anyone missed my link explaining my most deeply held beliefs, here it is again.

How come the similarities aren't listed there? You know, both can cause you to speak in tongues, for example. :cheers:
    Wishlist:
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Memnoch wrote:
    Disaster Area wrote:Just in case anyone missed my link explaining my most deeply held beliefs, here it is again.

How come the similarities aren't listed there? You know, both can cause you to speak in tongues, for example. :cheers:

+1 make the list yourself then , that was a good start!
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:37 pm

http://www.anus.com/

this is completely safe to open at work PROMISE :cheers:

heatherlove
    Oiler

by heatherlove » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Amazing how such a simple question can lead to a deep discussion. And indeed, what will be #40? Is Striper still alive?
  • Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:04 pm

heatherlove wrote:Amazing how such a simple question can lead to a deep discussion. And indeed, what will be #40? Is Striper still alive?

styper?

Locked 151 posts