Locked 178 posts
Band #40! Circle II Circle
  • User avatar
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 600
    Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 am
    Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by ragnaröks_roller » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:40 pm

    rhiawiz wrote:yeah i didn't have much to say...then i went and threw up for 5 minutes, then i was able to come up with that amazing numbered list. yeah....blah....


    :lol: :lol: :lol:

    KevinP wrote:They at least have a heavy sound to them, not bad, but doesn't get me all wet and giggly. I couldn't imagine Savatage songs unless Olivia was singing though (I'm no Savatage guru by any means either).


    If these guys are "heavy" I apparently need to consult a dictionary. Being lenient I was actually thinking that they could be construed as "metal" but not "heavy" to any degree. They're about as "heavy metal" as Motley Crue or GNR from what I can tell, which is to say not metal, nor heavy.

    Can I get in on the MDB, though? They're metal. ;)
  • User avatar
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2569
    Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Disaster Area » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:43 pm

    ragnaröks_roller wrote:
    KevinP wrote:They at least have a heavy sound to them, not bad, but doesn't get me all wet and giggly. I couldn't imagine Savatage songs unless Olivia was singing though (I'm no Savatage guru by any means either).


    If these guys are "heavy" I apparently need to consult a dictionary. Being lenient I was actually thinking that they could be construed as "metal" but not "heavy" to any degree. They're about as "heavy metal" as Motley Crue or GNR from what I can tell, which is to say not metal, nor heavy.

    Can I get in on the MDB, though? They're metal. ;)


    I wouldn't even consider these guys metal, def more heavy AOR sounding. Which suits me fine! :cool:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

    Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • User avatar
    cowboy71
    Commander
    Posts: 7367
    Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 pm
    Location: Brisbane, Australia
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:47 pm

    I would consider Circle II Circle more hard rock than metal, personally.

    And as far as Savatage covers, I would imagine they would only cover stuff from the era when Zach was lead singer.

    Case in point, a quick check of setlist.fm reveals that their last gig (germany 2010) they did three covers of Savatage songs - Conversation Piece and Edge of Thorns (from the Edge of Thorns album) and Taunting Cobras (off Handful of Rain).
    Upcoming Gigs:
    70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • User avatar
    1tribe1
    Oiler
    Posts: 32
    Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 am
    Location: Cheyenne Wy
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by 1tribe1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:58 pm

    SlaytanicE21 wrote:Well so much for a whopping, HOLY SHIT-type of announcement for me. I guess here's to Testament, Forbidden, Exodus, Sodom, Amon Amarth, Marduk, Unleashed, Twilight of The Gods, Fear Factory, Moonspell, Obituary, Destruction, Malevolent Creation, and Nevermore! I can't really complain about that, now can I? :D :cheers:
    :shred:

    17 DAYS!!!!! Let's see that running order! :beerhorns:



    I like the way you think!
  • User avatar
    WizardBeast
    Captain
    Posts: 11966
    Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm
    Location: Denver, CO
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:00 pm

    Disaster Area wrote:
    I wouldn't even consider these guys metal, def more heavy AOR sounding. Which suits me fine! :cool:


    i am very much in agreement with your classification! in some cases that would suit me, but i don't hear these guys doin' the trick for me.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • User avatar
    WizardBeast
    Captain
    Posts: 11966
    Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm
    Location: Denver, CO
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:01 pm

    cowboy71 wrote:I would consider Circle II Circle more hard rock than metal, personally.

    And as far as Savatage covers, I would imagine they would only cover stuff from the era when Zach was lead singer.

    Case in point, a quick check of setlist.fm reveals that their last gig (germany 2010) they did three covers of Savatage songs - Conversation Piece and Edge of Thorns (from the Edge of Thorns album) and Taunting Cobras (off Handful of Rain).


    eh gads....
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • User avatar
    warrior86
    Oiler
    Posts: 19
    Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:32 pm
    Location: Boca Raton, FL
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by warrior86 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:06 pm

    TOM CRUISE wrote:just messin with you rhia, cuz I can do that to perfect strangers. :lol:

    I agree with what you said though. and I LOVE progressive! Cynic, Theory in Practice and Sprial Architect! Among many more!

    rhiawiz wrote:i like spiral architect too. a lot of people find 'em over the top, i dig 'em though. i love me some Blotted Science. Cynic, all that...and there are plenty of Hevy Devy haters but i am not one of them!
    no one ever mentions spiral architect
    kudos to both of you :beerwink:





    saw them at ProgPower 2001...the only Prog Power i went to. they ruled! i mainly went that year for them and for Nightingale, and that was still Dan Swano's only US appearance, EVER. so glad i went!


    I was at that Progpower as well, as well as all of them! They were really great. ARK was another huge treat that year. MY favorite band is Savatage, but I only really like the first Circle II Circle CD. Hell, I was at their very first show in Feb of 2003 I believe, so im only really there for the Savatage songs, but we will see. But back in 03, Zak had pretty much all the members of Jon Oliva's Pain band so it sounded more like Savatage. hah!

    The OP is awesome!! Selena!!!!! \m/ !!!!!
  • User avatar
    SonyaKhan
    Wiper
    Posts: 9
    Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:30 pm
    Location: Tampa, Florida

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by SonyaKhan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:13 pm

    seeeeeeeleeeeeeeeeeeeeenaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. 2 mooore weeks.
    Don't we get to see Circle II Circle play the metal club next month too? haha
  • User avatar
    treznin
    Oiler
    Posts: 16
    Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:49 am
    Location: Tampa, Florida

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by treznin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:17 pm

    DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha :mrgreen:

    Haha yesss we do Sonya! ;) They'll be playing on Feb. 20th at the University of South Florida
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21240
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by mooyagi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:18 pm

    I gotta agree with Disaster Area (big surprise I know). I do like what I'm hearing.

    However, I'd rather them not be band #40. I'd love to catch them live sometime, just not on this particular cruise. This valuable number 40 spot could be used for something better.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3858
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:55 pm
    Location: Everett, WA USA
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:23 pm

    :lol:lol:lol I like Rhiaz, great sense of humor! I knew we were all friendly here........ innocent diagreements at times, but what the hell, I just go with the flow and roll with it. If the band sucks and are drunk and sound shitty, we can go inside to a bar and have shots
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11141
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:09 pm

    I have 2 CIIC albums, Watching in Silence and The Middle of Nowhere.

    Not what I was expecting at all for the final slot but I guess they wanted a band for the slow dances. :roll:

    Definitely music I can enjoy but just so NOT heavy and a bit deflating after allowing myself to hope for more.

    Oh well, now we can move on to running orders and some SERIOUS COUNTDOWN ACTION!!!

    Travel for me begins in 17 days!!! :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    Element0s
    Midshipman
    Posts: 713
    Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:33 pm
    Location: Edmonton, AB
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Element0s » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:26 pm

    I'd rather wait for an official 70000tons announcement, but Marcus and I were discussing the odds of a Savatage-related band being announced. I like Circle II Circle, especially when they play songs like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=461WdmNG ... re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J990nF1X ... re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvh684DG ... re=related
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

    GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21240
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by mooyagi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:28 pm

    mooyagi wrote:I gotta agree with Disaster Area (big surprise I know). I do like what I'm hearing.

    However, I'd rather them not be band #40. I'd love to catch them live sometime, just not on this particular cruise. This valuable number 40 spot could be used for something better.


    Listened to some more stuff. Really digging it. I stand by my comment that #40 could be better but I will definitely catch their shows.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2569
    Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Disaster Area » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:31 pm

    mooyagi wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I gotta agree with Disaster Area (big surprise I know). I do like what I'm hearing.

    However, I'd rather them not be band #40. I'd love to catch them live sometime, just not on this particular cruise. This valuable number 40 spot could be used for something better.


    Listened to some more stuff. Really digging it. I stand by my comment that #40 could be better but I will definitely catch their shows.


    I am listening to and particularly like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34KnwYDOpJc&feature=related

    the vitriol at this announcement has been a little surprising actually.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

    Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21240
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by mooyagi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:37 pm

    Disaster Area wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I gotta agree with Disaster Area (big surprise I know). I do like what I'm hearing.

    However, I'd rather them not be band #40. I'd love to catch them live sometime, just not on this particular cruise. This valuable number 40 spot could be used for something better.


    Listened to some more stuff. Really digging it. I stand by my comment that #40 could be better but I will definitely catch their shows.


    I am listening to and particularly like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34KnwYDOpJc&feature=related

    the vitriol at this announcement has been a little surprising actually.


    That was a good one! I think I'll be buying at least one cd this weekend. Let the hate flow. Just means more space for us to kick back and enjoy :cheers:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3858
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:55 pm
    Location: Everett, WA USA
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:40 pm

    I really am hating the sound of that "heal me" song that was posted, the vocals as well as cheese lyrics were like nails down a chalkboard. More happy music for band #40. The band should be banned from the cruise for announcing it prematurely on FB and Morbid Angel take their place! CHAPEL OF GHOULSSS
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
  • User avatar
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2569
    Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Disaster Area » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:43 pm

    TOM CRUISE wrote:I really am hating the sound of that "heal me" song that was posted, the vocals as well as cheese lyrics were like nails down a chalkboard. More happy music for band #40. The band should be banned from the cruise for announcing it prematurely on FB and Morbid Angel take their place! CHAPEL OF GHOULSSS



    I agree that it is pretty lame to let slip before the official announcement, didn't Blackguard do that too?

    Scott, quit complaining about cheesy lyrics ABBA-boy :lol: :lol: :lol:
    maybe we can get them to do it death style so the lyric content is obscured :D
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

    Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21240
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by mooyagi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:45 pm

    Disaster Area wrote:
    I agree that it is pretty lame to let slip before the official announcement, didn't Blackguard do that too?


    To be fair, UMC has been dragging ass on this announcement and the forum folk were getting restless. It was for the best.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2569
    Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Disaster Area » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 pm

    mooyagi wrote:
    Disaster Area wrote:
    I agree that it is pretty lame to let slip before the official announcement, didn't Blackguard do that too?


    To be fair, UMC has been dragging ass on this announcement and the forum folk were getting restless. It was for the best.


    maybe not for C-II-C if they have been lurking. They may be calling Andy to cancel as we speak. :lol:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

    Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • User avatar
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2234
    Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 pm
    Location: Mayville, Wisconsin

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by DragonLordJones » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 pm

    not who i was expecting but I don't mind their music so it's all good ........ can't wait for this cruise and to meet you all.

    2 weeks and a couple (days/hours) :shred: :cheers: :givebeer: BRING IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11141
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:03 am

    DragonLordJones wrote:not who i was expecting but I don't mind their music so it's all good ........ can't wait for this cruise and to meet you all.

    2 weeks and a couple (days/hours) :shred: :cheers: :givebeer: BRING IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Shouldn't you be working on updating my desktop wallpa... I mean, that T-shirt? :?
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • Metalwrath

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Metalwrath » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:11 am

    I don't really care for Cirlcle II Circle.
    As far as i'm concerned either bring Savatage or GTFO
  • User avatar
    Tuup
    Midshipman
    Posts: 956
    Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:06 am
    Location: Wijlre (NL)
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Tuup » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 am

    Yet another great band :cheers:
  • User avatar
    TexasMetalhead
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 109
    Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 am
    Location: Fort Worth, Texas

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by TexasMetalhead » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:27 am

    Wow, was hoping for something alittle more special for the last announcement. Oh well. Since we booked the cruise last summer I think the last band announcement that I really liked was Gamma Ray. I am open to checking out some other bands Im not to familiar with or never seen. I'm expecting to become a fan of a couple of bands that ive never seen bfore. Got my e tickets (woohoo) so its only 2 more weeks and were headed to Miami. Good times right around the corner.
    2015 DECK 7
    2013 DECK 6(66)and AGAIN!!!
    2012 Deck 8 SURVIVED AGAIN!!!
    2011 DECK 6(66) MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11141
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:31 am

    I got a kick out of some of the power metal references in this review of CIIC's latest CD, Consequence of Power, on allmusic.com

    SOURCE

    Ex-Savatage vocalist Zachary Stevens has been leading this power metal group since 2001; the music isn't that much different from his former act, and his vocals have as much impact and melody as ever. Though the lyrics are clearly enunciated, they're totally dispensable. There's only one reason to listen to power metal, and that's to let the thundering drums and soaring guitars sweep you along like a kayak caught in a raging flood. When the band slows down somewhat, as on the heavy, bluesy "Out of Nowhere," the bone-crunching impact of the riffs remains. Guitarist Andy Lee is a shredder with genuine soul and emotional feeling to back up his technical mastery, something that's all too rare. Bassist Paul Michael Stewart and new drummer Johnny Osborn are a focused rhythm section that knows how to let the music breathe, ably demonstrated on the midtempo, grinding groove of "Remember." On "Symptoms of Fate," the entire band works together on a slow-burning anthem more reminiscent of Living Colour than DragonForce. On Consequence of Power, Circle II Circle proves over and over again that power metal doesn't have to be alienating and wanky, over-the-top absurd, or dependent on flashy solos in place of meaningful expression; it can be melodic hard rock played with talent and both instrumental and compositional skill.


    Much of what I've read about these guys keeps saying stuff like "not much different from former band" but I've yet to hear a CIIC song that really reminds me of any of the Savatage I know and love. I guess I'm hoping for more of a Dungeons Are Calling sort of vibe and it ain't happenin'
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • claudio
    Crewman
    Posts: 52
    Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:42 am
    Location: Brazil

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by claudio » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:25 am

    The presence of Zach is enough to a nice gig.

    It was one of the best show I have ever seen. Great performance of Zach and Jon Oliva in Monsters of Rock 1998
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njnix-yoc-c
  • User avatar
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1772
    Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:35 am
    Location: Fond du Lac/Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Azazel101 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:41 am

    big disappointment for me but i need some time to sleep any ways
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • User avatar
    warrior86
    Oiler
    Posts: 19
    Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:32 pm
    Location: Boca Raton, FL
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by warrior86 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:02 am

    ShoreSlayer wrote:I got a kick out of some of the power metal references in this review of CIIC's latest CD, Consequence of Power, on allmusic.com

    SOURCE

    Ex-Savatage vocalist Zachary Stevens has been leading this power metal group since 2001; the music isn't that much different from his former act, and his vocals have as much impact and melody as ever. Though the lyrics are clearly enunciated, they're totally dispensable. There's only one reason to listen to power metal, and that's to let the thundering drums and soaring guitars sweep you along like a kayak caught in a raging flood. When the band slows down somewhat, as on the heavy, bluesy "Out of Nowhere," the bone-crunching impact of the riffs remains. Guitarist Andy Lee is a shredder with genuine soul and emotional feeling to back up his technical mastery, something that's all too rare. Bassist Paul Michael Stewart and new drummer Johnny Osborn are a focused rhythm section that knows how to let the music breathe, ably demonstrated on the midtempo, grinding groove of "Remember." On "Symptoms of Fate," the entire band works together on a slow-burning anthem more reminiscent of Living Colour than DragonForce. On Consequence of Power, Circle II Circle proves over and over again that power metal doesn't have to be alienating and wanky, over-the-top absurd, or dependent on flashy solos in place of meaningful expression; it can be melodic hard rock played with talent and both instrumental and compositional skill.


    Much of what I've read about these guys keeps saying stuff like "not much different from former band" but I've yet to hear a CIIC song that really reminds me of any of the Savatage I know and love. I guess I'm hoping for more of a Dungeons Are Calling sort of vibe and it ain't happenin'



    LOL!! Yea NOTHING like Dungeons, but there are songs off the first album that sound more like Savatage; not THAT era of Savatage, but if you really know Savatage post my favorite guitarist, Criss M. Oliva, then you will hear all sorts of similarities. Like, "Watching in Silence" song; especially the demo version LOL!
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11141
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:43 am

    Actually really enjoying The Middle Of Nowhere this morning. Crank this shit loud enough and the gems start to show themselves more and more. Even caught some distinct old Dungeon-esque riffage in the opener once the super mellow balladish intro came and went and the heavy kicked in :headbanger:

    The song I'm on now, Hollow, has some very clear EVH guitar tone to parts of it (hear intro riff). Not something I was expecting on this cruise but hey, the diversity factor of 70K definitely spiked with this addition!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2234
    Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 pm
    Location: Mayville, Wisconsin

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by DragonLordJones » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 pm

    Azazel101 wrote:big disappointment for me but i need some time to sleep any ways


    no time to sleep .... crash maybe :party: , but we can sleep when we get back .......... looks like a redbull and VODKA week :lol: :shred:
  • User avatar
    nymphet
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 109
    Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 5:57 pm
    Location: Bakersfield, CA
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by nymphet » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:29 pm

    claudio wrote:The presence of Zach is enough to a nice gig.

    Image

    claudio wrote:
    It was one of the best show I have ever seen. Great performance of Zach and Jon Oliva in Monsters of Rock 1998
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njnix-yoc-c


    Always wanted to see them and was just mourning that I will never get to see them...
    So very glad for the last addition!!!!
    Image
    A "metal heart" is hard to break apart.
  • User avatar
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 4412
    Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 pm
    Location: switzerland

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by last_candle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:37 pm

    ShoreSlayer wrote:Much of what I've read about these guys keeps saying stuff like "not much different from former band" but I've yet to hear a CIIC song that really reminds me of any of the Savatage I know and love. I guess I'm hoping for more of a Dungeons Are Calling sort of vibe and it ain't happenin'

    it's not all different...but there's just a few elements that remind you of Savatage

    claudio wrote:The presence of Zach is enough to a nice gig.

    +1

    claudio wrote:It was one of the best show I have ever seen. Great performance of Zach and Jon Oliva in Monsters of Rock 1998
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njnix-yoc-c

    as good as it get!
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11141
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:40 pm

    nymphet wrote:Always wanted to see them and was just mourning that I will never get to see them...
    So very glad for the last addition!!!!
    Image

    Just knowing that this announcement means this much to another forum member makes it even that much cooler! I can think of easily 50 bands I'd have rather taken spot #40 but I'm enjoying some of their stuff and, so long as it's a BIG announcement for some of us, life's good!

    TWO WEEKS IS NOTHING!!!

    We are THERE people :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    nymphet
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 109
    Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 5:57 pm
    Location: Bakersfield, CA
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by nymphet » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:55 pm

    ShoreSlayer wrote:
    nymphet wrote:Always wanted to see them and was just mourning that I will never get to see them...
    So very glad for the last addition!!!!
    Image

    Just knowing that this announcement means this much to another forum member makes it even that much cooler! I can think of easily 50 bands I'd have rather taken spot #40 but I'm enjoying some of their stuff and, so long as it's a BIG announcement for some of us, life's good!

    TWO WEEKS IS NOTHING!!!

    We are THERE people :headbanger:


    Indeed what I exactly said as my first reaction hearing CIIC was "I wish I asked for something else in life."
    It's an expression Turkish people use when one of their wishes they made without too much thought is granted all of a sudden that if they wished something bigger and greater (like winning $100k for instance) instead could have been granted. So, we say I wish I asked for something else in life, then it would have been granted in place of this one.
    Anyway, simply put I was quite stoked because I did not know they still made music. I am deeply moved by Savatage - both early and later years. I am very intrigued by their creativity and the tonal changes they do incorporate quite dramatically.
    Have been a fan at large for many many years to come.... I will make sure not to miss their show.
    A "metal heart" is hard to break apart.
  • User avatar
    ejd715
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 162
    Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:29 am
    Location: Las Cruces, NM
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by ejd715 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:23 pm

    I actually like this band quite a bit, but dont think they should have been #40. Their Burden of Truth album is pretty damn good.
    2011-#3500 (barely survived!)
    2012-#4025 (piece of cake!)
    BOH HERE WE COME!!!!

    Aeon The Crown Ex Deo Flotsam & Jetsam Harm Helstar Heathen King Diamond Kreator Old Man's Child Pain Solution.45 Sanctification Sinister Susperia Sybreed Zonaria
  • User avatar
    Captain Metal
    Ensign
    Posts: 1268
    Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:34 am
    Location: Oakland Park, FL

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Captain Metal » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:16 pm

    Notice how they still haven't been officially named yet?
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
  • User avatar
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1642
    Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:38 am
    Location: North Hollywood CA

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Heabymetawhunta » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:17 pm

    Captain Metal wrote:Notice how they still haven't been officially named yet?


    what are you gettin at cap'n ?
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

    2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
  • User avatar
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman
    Posts: 671
    Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm
    Location: Boston, Ma

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by Inquisitor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:28 pm

    Heabymetawhunta wrote:
    Captain Metal wrote:Notice how they still haven't been officially named yet?


    what are you gettin at cap'n ?


    Obviously, they're not the 40th act. The 40th act is "ShoreSlayer and his Heavy Metal Kazoo" :shred:
  • User avatar
    WizardBeast
    Captain
    Posts: 11966
    Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm
    Location: Denver, CO
    Contact:

    Re: Band #40! Circle II Circle

    by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 pm

    Inquisitor wrote:
    Heabymetawhunta wrote:
    Captain Metal wrote:Notice how they still haven't been officially named yet?


    what are you gettin at cap'n ?


    Obviously, they're not the 40th act. The 40th act is "ShoreSlayer and his Heavy Metal Kazoo" :shred:


    at this point, i think that'd be more fun!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • Locked 178 posts

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Godflesh and 54 guests