Locked 91 posts
How did you find out about 70K?
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

How did you find out about 70K?

by Disaster Area » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

our discussion of promotion of the cruise earlier today got me wondering how AND when everyone heard about it the first time?

We saw a promo post card while buying some Stratovarius merch at their gig in LA back in Oct '09. Other than that I saw no other advertisement...
    Last edited by Disaster Area on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: How did you find out about 70K?

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Saw an announcement on Blabbermouth. Immediately started contacting people to put plans together.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:51 pm

I meant to ask when and how? Let me edit my original post.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:56 pm

Amon Amarth's website back in April. Btw, there was also a full page ad in the Wacken 2010 official program.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 pm

I don't remember when it was, but it was very early in the game (since I was among the first 50 to book, yay upgrade!). I think there were only 5 or so bands announced at the time.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 pm

I think it was in July, checking out different metal festivals online and just stumbled on it. I barely glanced at the other great bands, just saw that Amon Amarth was playing. Sold.
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Die for Dethklok
    Crewman

by Die for Dethklok » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:00 pm

Looking at tour dates for Epica on their website i see Miami Fl 70000tons of metal, and i'm like WTF is that. As soon as i found out i knew i was going on this cruise. This was in the spring of '10 if i recall.
    "Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever!"
    -Dan Daly USMC at the battle of Belleau Wood, France 1918

Cabin 6517- Who are my cabinmates?
    RazorReb
    Oiler

by RazorReb » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Blabbermouth in January last year. Have never seen Saxon and Raven so that was all this old metalhead needed. Thank goodness I talked a couple of friends into going within a couple of months of that.

:viking:
    2011: 3543 2012: 3533 Wishlist: Accept Annihilator Cannibal Corpse Candlemass Evile Exciter Arch/Matheos Flotsam & Jetsam Helloween High On Fire Lizzy Borden Loudness Kreator Nuclear Assault Opeth OVERKILL Sacrifice Skeletonwitch Symphony X Vio-Lence
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:12 pm

a asian hooker, i found a flyer in her bung hole
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:13 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:a asian hooker, i found a flyer in her bung hole

which begs the question,

who left it there? Andy? Blake..? hello? :lol:

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Disaster Area wrote:
    TOM CRUISE wrote:a asian hooker, i found a flyer in her bung hole

which begs the question,

who left it there? Andy? Blake..? hello? :lol:

hahahahaha! :lol: I am very chipper as cruise time draws near and this amazing event is becoming a reality, we are making history and will be there to witness it first hand. Here is the exact Blabbermouth post from January 12th, 2010 when I found out about the cruise and I actually booked with blake on Tuesday in early Feb. When they went on sale. I was one of the first to join the forums as well. Feb 25th. TROUBLE, AMON AMARTH and SODOM are among the confirmed bands for the 70000 Tons Of Metal cruise, which is set to sail from Miami, Florida to Cozumel, Mexico on January 24, 2011 and return four days later.

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

AMON AMARTH
    SODOM
    SONATA ARCTICA
    STRATOVARIUS
    TROUBLE
    WITCHBURNER

A posting on the festival's web site reads, "Imagine starting the year in style. In January 2011, when everyone else is stuck with cold weather, snow and rain, 40 heavy metal bands and 2,000 fans will take over a luxury cruise ship in the Caribbean for a five-day and four-night trip of a lifetime.

"Tons of onboard live shows on several indoor and outdoor stages, open-mic nights, bars that never close, a fun- and sun-filled day on the beautiful island of Cozumel and an opportunity to mingle side-by-side with the artists in this incredibly fan-friendly scenario that has no comparison.

"It's like everyone has a backstage pass. You might even need a vacation from this vacation when all is said and done!"

For more information, visit www.70000tons.com.

70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:22 pm

That's the Blabbermouth post I found out about it from. So six bands were booked. Sonata Arctica and Amon Amarth sold it for me.
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:23 pm

I first heard something around Early January 2010 about a Metal cruise leaving out of Miami. Hearing that, I just had to check it out. My girlfriend had been talking about wanting to take a cruise for awhile, and I figured this was the perfect opportunity, so I signed up fairly. I hadn't realized how early, until I got the upgrade.

As for Scott, his love of Steel Panther has been further cemented based on that post :lol:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:25 pm

mooyagi wrote:That's the Blabbermouth post I found out about it from. So six bands were booked. Sonata Arctica and Amon Amarth sold it for me.

for me it was Sonata, Sodom, AA and I went to you tube and listened to Witchburner and was sold. Retro thrash and with in the first two months of last year I had ordered all of their albums via The End and Century Media THE FINAL DETONATION IS COMMMMMMING DOWNNNNNNNNN Underdog of the cruise. Look forward to seeing them!
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:40 pm

I think I found out about it blabbermouth also, but not until a few more bands were announced, like around 15. I heard (I think on this forum) that headliners had not been announced yet, and they announced Testament and Fear Factory... I was sold. Amon Amarth was good enough for me, but the Fear Factory announcement led me to sell my pride and joy, and jump onbroad. For those of you checked in, WELCOME TO 70,000 TONS OF METAL!
    :viking: :shred: :beerhorns: :party: :headbanger: :trashdrink: :twisted: :heavydrink: :givebeer:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote: I was one of the first to join the forums as well.

Boy, I bet that was lonely! Was there an echo every time you posted something? :lol:
    METAL! Metal metal metal metal......

My little 70K story:

In early September of this year, maybe before, I was invited to join the 70K group on Facebook by a friend in Edmonton who works with bands and promoters and is into and aware of all things metal around here. He's constantly inviting me to metal shows and events at the bars he works at, and event pages for like every metal show in Edmonton on FB. I can only go to a handful of these things and usually just RSVP "no" or "ignore" his posts that aren't obviously shows I want to or can go to. I don't know what made me actually visit the 70K page on his suggestion that day. Fate?

I took a look and joined up with the 70K group to get updates without really realizing WHAT it was exactly. Like I just posted in another thread today, I thought it was a series of small-time excursions, and each announcement was the next one or something. Just another thing that sounded cool that I could never afford. I don't know what it was exactly, but one day I thought to myself, "Gee -- whoever these people are really have something going. That's a lot of REALLY awesome bands, and all playing one after another. Wish I could go wherever that is." It was then I took a closer look and realized, "HOLY SHIT. THIS IS A SINGLE EVENT!" Since I booked, one of my co-workers has come to me with a metal magazine and pointed out the 70K ad. If I wasn't able to say, "Yeah, I'm going" I would have never given that ad a second look.

Perhaps some of you will remember my first couple posts here, where I was asking about whether this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity or what. I was trying to simultaneously talk myself into it and out of it. It's something I really can't afford right now (I've been putting GROCERIES on my credit card over the last year) but screw it! One of my life philosophies is to not let things like money stand in the way of experiences I really want. Life is short, what's the point in NOT doing things? I live simply and cheaply as it is. It's so I can do stuff like this no matter how un-financially sound of an idea it may be at the time.

:headbanger:
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Die for Dethklok wrote:Looking at tour dates for Epica on their website i see Miami Fl 70000tons of metal, and i'm like WTF is that. As soon as i found out i knew i was going on this cruise.

Same for me. It took me a little while to book though as I was originally a cabin-mate, instead of the lead passenger I am now. Yarrr!
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Captain Metal wrote:I

As for Scott, his love of Steel Panther has been further cemented based on that post :lol:

:lol: I just got "Feel the Steel" on vinyl and it came with a free mp3 download of the entire album. I did not realize Corey of Slipknot/Stone Sour did lead vocals on 3 songs and Scott Ian plays guitar on Asian Hooker.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:57 pm

rag- yeah it was me and myself and I... hahha Rob came early on, as did Peter I believe. Yeah it is a single event, its a festival on wheels. Funny how I have read comments on blabbermouth that says "a cruise for rich snobs" I posted back "I havent worked in 6 months" and now I have a job that pays 12.50 per hour. :lol: :lol: Luckily I had been working for a whole year before the cruise went on sale before I was laid off March 31, 2010. and then unemployed until September 28th, 2010.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:00 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:rag- yeah it was me and myself and I... hahha Rob came early on, as did Peter I believe. Yeah it is a single event, its a festival on wheels. Funny how I have read comments on blabbermouth that says "a cruise for rich snobs" I posted back "I havent worked in 6 months" and now I have a job that pays 12.50 per hour. :lol: :lol: Luckily I had been working for a whole year before the cruise went on sale before I was laid off March 31, 2010. and then unemployed until September 28th, 2010.

We should have the promoters make a "Heavy Metal Aristocrats" shirt for us all.
    metalia
    Oiler

by metalia » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 pm

On Sonata Arctica's web page last february :heavydrink:
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote: Funny how I have read comments on blabbermouth that says "a cruise for rich snobs" .........

If putting myself further in debt to do this makes me a "rich snob", well then so be it! *sticks nose up in air and walks off to roll change* :lol:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:14 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:
    TOM CRUISE wrote: Funny how I have read comments on blabbermouth that says "a cruise for rich snobs" .........

If putting myself further in debt to do this makes me a "rich snob", well then so be it! *sticks nose up in air and walks off to roll change* :lol:

:lol: :lol: Just woke up the neighbors laughing so loud, I hear ya. I wont have crap for spending as I do not believe in credit cards and debt. I got out of debt in 2009 and do not want to visit that hell again anytime soon. :) So I beg and grovel, I will walk around the ship with a baseball hat in my hand begging for spare change, the resident bum of 70000 TONS OF METALLLLLLLLLLLLL :cheers: Hey moog- that would be awesome!
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:23 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote::lol: :lol: Just woke up the neighbors laughing so loud, I hear ya. I wont have crap for spending as I do not believe in credit cards and debt. I got out of debt in 2009 and do not want to visit that hell again anytime soon. :) So I beg and grovel, I will walk around the ship with a baseball hat in my hand begging for spare change, the resident bum of 70000 TONS OF METALLLLLLLLLLLLL :cheers: Hey moog- that would be awesome!

Sorry, don't wanna get you in trouble with the neighbors! Congrats on freeing yourself of debt. It's gotta be a great feeling. I'm not in too deep, especially when you compare me to other people my age. My ex didn't exactly share my approach to our finances and I found it was easier to go along with it, which has landed me where I am now with my share of the credit card situation. Wish we'd broken up BEFORE doing the latest damage, but that's water under the bridge! So, should we mark out begging territory on broad? You can hold your hat out on odd number decks, I'll be holding a cardboard sign that reads "Will headbang for beer" at the elevator exits on even numbered decks. :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Tom Cruise and Ragnaröks Roller, methinks you'll get a few freebies from the various forum family members.

:givebeer:
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:29 pm

I don't make shit for money. I've been broke for 6 months planning this thing! Seriously, I HAD to do this, at all costs. I've gone through quite a bit to be on this boat dammit. That rich snobs shit... pfft. I'm broke as fuck! So are my cabinmates!! :lol: I promise I shave and wear deodorant though. :mrgreen:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:33 pm

mooyagi wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Tom Cruise and Ragnaröks Roller, methinks you'll get a few freebies from the various forum family members.

Oh wow! You found a portrait of me! ;)
    Loki
    Oiler

by Loki » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:54 pm

I was driving down the North Dallas Tollway last July and heard it Sirius 27 Liquid Metal. FREAKED OUT, took the next off ramp and looked it up on my phone. Booked it as soon as I got home. :headbanger:
    5539 - 2011
    5539 - 2012
    \m/\m/
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:03 pm

my nephew asked me if I wanted to go on a cruise with 40 heavy metal bands and before he even said any band names or how much it would cost (which at that time was a dozen or so bands) I said fuck yeah. :cheers: :shred: :givebeer: :beerhorns: :viking:
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:26 pm

Loki wrote:I was driving down the North Dallas Tollway last July and heard it Sirius 27 Liquid Metal. FREAKED OUT, took the next off ramp and looked it up on my phone. Booked it as soon as I got home. :headbanger:

I cut off my Sirius subscription about a year ago and was wondering if 70K was advertising there. Smart move, both 70K getting ad space there, and you not hesitating to book! See you on broad!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:29 pm

They also played the plug/ad/video clip over the GIANT screens at Wacken Open Air 2009,
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:They also played the plug/ad/video clip over the GIANT screens at Wacken Open Air 2009,

How the hell do I not remember that? Oh yeah, beer.

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 pm

My lovely wife is how I found out about it :)

And pretty sure she found out from either Stratovarius' or Sonata's facebook pages back in around feb/march 2010.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm-/-70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Shiver
    Crewman

by Shiver » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:49 pm

We read the advertisement about 70 ToM in Metal Hammer Magazine in March 2010 ...
    Called Andy and booked a week later...
    :heavydrink:
    Uffbassä Häädbäänger ..
    bangers
    Chief Petty Officer

by bangers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:08 am

When I attended wacken 09 they had a promo playing on the big screen and I thought fuck yeh, can't miss that!
    Winging it in the west (Western Australia that is)
    Room 3612
    Black Metal - The best metal - Emperor FOREVER
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:24 am

Trouble and Raven Myspace page subscription e-mail notifications.

When It was Trouble and a few other bands, I too was unsure exactly what it was all about and thought most of the 40 bands would be relative unknowns. When I got the news again from Raven and checked back, I think Saxon and Uli had been added as well by that point and I realized exactly what was being offered. Joined the boards, met my cabin mate and was booked the day they went on sale.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:24 am

A buddy of mine told me about 70000 back in March. I joined the forum and booked spots in April!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

uli_borowka
    Oiler

by uli_borowka » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:41 am

We found it on Homepage of SODOM.....
    OUTBREAK OF BEER......sorry, mean EVIL....:-)
    KK Cruiser
    Petty Officer

by KK Cruiser » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:23 am

I heard it from a mate and then saw the big screens at Wacken 2009.

I wanted Mambo Kurt to play the cruise.

I signed up a long bloody time ago. Look at my join date.
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:04 am

Sonata Arctica website. Found out the first day the cruise was announced, booked tickets the first day I could, joined the forum the first day.

Original gangsta right hurrrrrrrrr
  • Locked 91 posts