Locked 46 posts
A question regarding cigarettes
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

A question regarding cigarettes

by Inquisitor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:02 am

As a smoker, I'm concerned about what I'm going to do about my supply of lung darts while at sea. The traditional Duty Free rules state that I can't purchase them on the cruise. However, I'm concerned about the whole import/export laws. If someone could offer me some insight it will be greatly appreciated.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: A question regarding cigarettes

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:06 am

I dont get it. Take a carton in your luggage? There is no problem? I dont understand.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:09 am

Inquisitor wrote:As a smoker, I'm concerned about what I'm going to do about my supply of lung darts while at sea. The traditional Duty Free rules state that I can't purchase them on the cruise. However, I'm concerned about the whole import/export laws. If someone could offer me some insight it will be greatly appreciated.

Royal Carribean states that you can purchase tobacco in their ship.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacrui ... exCode=588

As far as the import/export. I'm not sure as I'm not really a smoker.
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:10 am

But as with any duty free item, they hold on to it until you get off the boat upon returning to Miami
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:11 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:I dont get it. Take a carton in your luggage? There is no problem? I dont understand.

I just didn't know if I'd have to deal with any bullshit at the pier.
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:18 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:But as with any duty free item, they hold on to it until you get off the boat upon returning to Miami

Good to know as I thought it was just the duty free alcohol that was put on hold until arrival in miami...will get my carton on the flight then :cheers:
    Last edited by wildchild on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012
    Of all the things I´ve lost, I miss my mind the most...

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
    MrsAceMasterHan
    Crewman

by MrsAceMasterHan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:42 am

We Will be taking two cartons in our luggage. We hope to not have any issues.
    Deck 7
  • Davina
    Crewman

by Davina » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks for posting this, I was going to buy them on the cruise.
    Cabin 5565 \m/
  • Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:27 am

I've heard from cousins in Mexico that cigarettes over there are "real " cigarettes, they taste fuller and are stronger. Then again I think my cousins think everything in Mexico is better :?
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:30 am

Heabymetawhunta wrote:I've heard from cousins in Mexico that cigarettes over there are "real " cigarettes, they taste fuller and are stronger. Then again I think my cousins think everything in Mexico is better :?

you sure he's talking about tobacco :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 am

DragonLordJones wrote:
    Heabymetawhunta wrote:I've heard from cousins in Mexico that cigarettes over there are "real " cigarettes, they taste fuller and are stronger. Then again I think my cousins think everything in Mexico is better :?

you sure he's talking about tobacco :lol: :lol: :lol:

probably not now that i think about hahaahah :lol:
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    aphelion0
    Oiler

by aphelion0 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:39 am

hahahaha This is my first time traveling to USA... so after this travel I could say if "everything" here in Mexico is better or not... hahahaha

I think the "real" cigarettes are the cuban ones.

Talking about cigarettes, I like to smoke clove cigarettes. Do you know if these are for sale at Miami or if we can take some from here?

3 days to arrive at Miami!!!! See you there!
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:47 am

Clove cigarettes are definitely for sale all over the place. Shouldn't have any trouble finding them. :)
    MrsAceMasterHan
    Crewman

by MrsAceMasterHan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:51 am

aphelion0 wrote:

hahahaha This is my first time traveling to USA... so after this travel I could say if "everything" here in Mexico is better or not... hahahaha

Talking about cigarettes, I like to smoke clove cigarettes. Do you know if these are for sale at Miami or if we can take some from here?

All we smoke is Djarum Black cloves, no we do not sell them in the U.S. They outlawed the selling of them in Sept 2009 :( We import them from Indonesia to have them as it is not illegal to have them only to sell them.
    Deck 7
    MrsAceMasterHan
    Crewman

by MrsAceMasterHan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 am

Amandroid wrote:Clove cigarettes are definitely for sale all over the place. Shouldn't have any trouble finding them. :)

Clove cigars are available, no cigarettes anymore. Not legally anyway...
    Deck 7
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:56 am

MrsAceMasterHan wrote:
    aphelion0 wrote:

All we smoke is Djarum Black cloves, no we do not sell them in the U.S. They outlawed the selling of them in Sept 2009 :( We import them from Indonesia to have them as it is not illegal to have them only to sell them.

I swear that I have seen them and seen other people smoking them here in Florida. I know they sell Djarum clove smokes at the convenience store in my neighborhood. I wonder if it's only for the Black line? That's what I used to get years back but haven't smoked them for a long while. But clove cigarettes in general are definitely still around.... someone even bummed me one at a show several months back.
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:58 am

And I will go "research" this further at my local stores tonight and report back, unless anyone living in Miami/Dade can say something definitive now. But man... I swear I see those things every time I go to the store. Mabye I've lost it. :shock:
    aphelion0
    Oiler

by aphelion0 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:35 am

Amandroid wrote:And I will go "research" this further at my local stores tonight and report back, unless anyone living in Miami/Dade can say something definitive now. But man... I swear I see those things every time I go to the store. Mabye I've lost it. :shock:

yeah! I'll be waiting for your news :D
    MrsAceMasterHan
    Crewman

by MrsAceMasterHan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:08 pm

Amandroid wrote:And I will go "research" this further at my local stores tonight and report back, unless anyone living in Miami/Dade can say something definitive now. But man... I swear I see those things every time I go to the store. Mabye I've lost it. :shock:

Sorry to just post and run earlier, we had to make our final trip out for stuff in preparations for this weekend!! :headbanger: :D

I'm sure you have not lost it! It is still legal to sell filtered clove cigars which are slightly different(shorter, fatter, taste slightly different and come in packs of 12) than clove cigarettes( long, more slender than the cigar, much bolder taste and came in packs of 20(the ones that we order come in packs of 16)

heres a few things just for reference :beerwink:
    its part of a ban on "flavored cigarettes" which I guess technically is what cloves cigarettes are...
    http://www.xomba.com/end_clove_cigarett ... uy_sept_30

http://www.fontcraft.com/liberty/?p=11626

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 ... ttes_N.htm

We do not favor these stinking cigars :( its just not the same so we order the cigs which is actually cheaper, around $25 USD plus shipping but still comes out to be cheaper than buying was in the US

And we always have people bum one or two at every show we go to ;)
    Deck 7
    Wicker Man
    Petty Officer

by Wicker Man » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:44 pm

what is the average price for a carton in miami? so i know if i should buy it here or not...
    The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again!
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Yeah, I'm with Amanda on this one. Finding clove cigs around here should be relatively easy, as I've seen my fair share of them being smoked by people around town. Personally, I don't smoke, so this is a non issue for me.
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:31 pm

Very limited smoking areas on cruise ships. Good for us non-smokers, a pain for you that do...
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:36 pm

NON SMOKER HERE!!!!!!!!! just past 5 months!!!!! wooo hooooo I am invincible!!!!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 pm

debborah1 wrote:NON SMOKER HERE!!!!!!!!! just past 5 months!!!!! wooo hooooo I am invincible!!!!

Hey, I forgot you quit. Great job you must be over the hump! :cheers:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • waldmensch
    Crewman

by waldmensch » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:47 pm

you can buy duty free Cigarettes on the fly from europe to usa

200 are tax free
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Disaster Area wrote:
    debborah1 wrote:NON SMOKER HERE!!!!!!!!! just past 5 months!!!!! wooo hooooo I am invincible!!!!

Hey, I forgot you quit. Great job you must be over the hump! :cheers:

Thank you
    I am...and I have NO desire to go back...it crosses my mind here and there....but thats as far as it will go ;) :cheers: :headbanger: now Im off to split the atom!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Captain Metal wrote:Yeah, I'm with Amanda on this one. Finding clove cigs around here should be relatively easy, as I've seen my fair share of them being smoked by people around town. Personally, I don't smoke, so this is a non issue for me.

For those of you who may have doubted me (including myself), I just stopped by the corner store and I can confirm that they do sell cloves cigarettes in several different varieties at Circle K stores. Djarum is the brand, even have smaller packs (half of those larger, rectangular ones I used to get in college back in the day...) for $4.99.

So yeah, confirmed. We have cloves. :headbanger:
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Wicker Man wrote:what is the average price for a carton in miami? so i know if i should buy it here or not...

We pay about $6.50 after tax for a pack of Marlboros... not sure if Miami has any extra taxes or extra expenses with certain vendors (because certain grocery stores definitely hit you for an extra 50 cents), I figure it's pretty much the same across the state. There are lots of brands that run several dollars less though.
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 pm

Amandroid wrote:
    Captain Metal wrote:Yeah, I'm with Amanda on this one. Finding clove cigs around here should be relatively easy, as I've seen my fair share of them being smoked by people around town. Personally, I don't smoke, so this is a non issue for me.

For those of you who may have doubted me (including myself), I just stopped by the corner store and I can confirm that they do sell cloves cigarettes in several different varieties at Circle K stores. Djarum is the brand, even have smaller packs (half of those larger, rectangular ones I used to get in college back in the day...) for $4.99.

One more note, the Djarum blacks are also definitely for sale. I know someone had mentioned those specifically. :D
    MrsAceMasterHan
    Crewman

by MrsAceMasterHan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Amandroid wrote:

cool! I guess I had only just assumed that everyone had quit selling them (as everywhere around here has) since the law was passed and all. thats awesome that you guys still have them around though! My husband is actually the manager of a cigar/tobacco shop here, as soon as the law passed they had to send what wasnt bought back to the companies. I wonder how they get around it...
    Deck 7
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:08 pm

MrsAceMasterHan wrote:
    cool! I guess I had only just assumed that everyone had quit selling them (as everywhere around here has) since the law was passed and all. thats awesome that you guys still have them around though! My husband is actually the manager of a cigar/tobacco shop here, as soon as the law passed they had to send what wasnt bought back to the companies. I wonder how they get around it...

I absolutely know what law you're talking about. I remember all the hubub about the flavored cigars, with big candy fruit drawings on the label. heh. That's weird about the cloves though, I hadn't realized that they were included in all of that. I wonder how much it varies by state. Florida is usually pretty... red... as far as policy goes. If you know what I mean. :P
    Wicker Man
    Petty Officer

by Wicker Man » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Amandroid wrote:
    Wicker Man wrote:what is the average price for a carton in miami? so i know if i should buy it here or not...

We pay about $6.50 after tax for a pack of Marlboros... not sure if Miami has any extra taxes or extra expenses with certain vendors (because certain grocery stores definitely hit you for an extra 50 cents), I figure it's pretty much the same across the state. There are lots of brands that run several dollars less though.

it's like 10$ for a pack of DuMaurier here... gonna get a few carton in the state before I came back
    The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again!
  • Davina
    Crewman

by Davina » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:54 am

gnoff wrote:
    Amandroid wrote:

About the same as here then.

I remember in Ohio back in -93 I could get these really cheap stuff for $1 a pack, but they were crap of course, sometimes the glow fell off withough warning, made for an interesting experience if you were sitting on a sofa or such...

'The glow' I like that, I call it 'the cherry'. I smoke roll up cigarettes as they are so much cheaper than regular cigarettes which are mega expensive here.
    Cabin 5565 \m/
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:13 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:... is smoking allowed on the sun deck or around the pool?

I'm guessing no. Maybe some designated place on the deck but not by the pool.
    SlaytanicE21 wrote:...and I'll look like this guy by the end of day 2:

Good thing those babies are filtered. Wouldn't want him ingesting a carcinogen or anything :mrgreen:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • Davina
    Crewman

by Davina » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:20 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:My problem is... the more I drink alcohol, the more I smoke. It sucks. For those of you that don't smoke, I envy you. I hope to quit dammit, but it just ain't happenin'. :oops: I want to be able to catch all the shows, but something tells me I'll be socializing at the fuckin' bars and smoking areas more than the gym or pool. :lol: :trashdrink:

I'm exactly the same and my husband is even worse. I imagine we'll end up meeting all of the smokers as there might not be many.
    Cabin 5565 \m/
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:37 am

Smokers of the cruise unite!

We can call ourselves the "The Black Lung Club". :death: :death:
    Have a good time...all the time.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:02 am

Dunno if it's the same situation in Miami of if there are even any shops owned by Indians(not the kind from India)
    But in Seattle if you bought smokes in a palce run by them it was cheaper because they don't have to pay taxes.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:03 am

junkhead13 wrote:Smokers of the cruise unite!

We can call ourselves the "The Black Lung Club". :death: :death:

Call yourselves whatever you like...

Just stay in your cages as you perform your filthy rituals :lol:

Reminds me, not sure about where the rest of you live but here there is no longer any smoking in restaurants or bars. But there was as transition period between when you could smoke in bars and now (and this was when I did smoke) where the bars had little areas set aside for smokers indoors. The last 2 I remember were at the Red Room and the Fairview. The Red Room's was just a back hallway behind the stage and the bathrooms and had no ventilation whatsoever so it was like entering a tunnel of fog but not so bad cuz ya really got your fix of nicotine in a hurry. The Fairview was hilarious though. They basically walled off a room and surrounded it with waist-high walls and then plexi-glass from waist height to ceiling. There were fans in the ceiling to move the smoke out and circulate the clean air but I just remember, whether inside smoking or outside looking in, it was damn near impossible not to see the thing as some kind of cage for the last remnants of a dying breed (or endangered species if you prefer). Always made me think of Stephen King's The 10:00 People

Anyways, I really do hope they don't make it too hard on you guys. You're on a trip to enjoy yourself and party. Ya shouldn't have to go too far out of your way to find some seclusion where smoking doesn't affect anyone else. Hopefully they've got something set up close to each venue so you can at least hear and maybe even see the show from the smoking pit. Good luck!

junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:01 am

hehe. I always liked that Stephen King story.

Speaking of King, I always wanted to see "The Long Walk" made into a movie, and it looks like Frank Darabont has the rights.
    Have a good time...all the time.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:06 am

I have a couple uncracked SK paperbacks sitting on my bookshelf that are coming with me on Sunday :beerwink:

Cell and Blaze. Anyone recommend which one would be best if I just brought one?

(yes, I have a little Dutch heritage in me so I am entitled!)

Locked 46 posts