Post Reply 3920 posts
Who are you? Introduce yourself!
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

Re: Who are you?

by Disaster Area » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:51 pm

grimmy82 wrote:"I love hair metal! HAHAHA"

That's not Creepy at all, I am sure there will be plenty of hair metal fanatics on the boat, although some may be "in the closet" because hair metal is "just not Metal enough," blah blah blah. Now, I'm off to listen to some Stay Hungry.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:04 am

City/country:
    Boston, Mass.

Age (optional):

What first got you into metal?
    I don't remember where or when it was, but the first time I heard "Blackened" by Metallica

Play any instruments?
    Does the kazoo count?

Top 5 bands?
    Iron Maiden
    In Flames
    Sonata Arctica
    Amon Amarth
    Iced Earth

What do you do?
    Network administrator at a computer game company

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I read a lot, I jump between the classics and contemporary fiction. Cards, Beer Tasting, Fencing

What deck are you on?
    2, Cabin 2119

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    Not really creepy, but I put Nair (hair removal cream) in someones shampoo once, and yes, it worked. :mrgreen:
    junkhead13
    Chief Petty Officer

by junkhead13 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:55 am

grimmy82 wrote:I saw Pantera's video for "I'm Broken" on an episode of Beavis and Butthead. I had never heard anything like it!! Beavis and Butthead also led me to Slayer and the mighty Crowbar!

"Dammit Pantera, this beer is warm! Get me another one"

Classic one from "This Love"..

Ah, Beavis and Butthead! Still a great time to drink and watch the old episodes...
    Have a good time...all the time.
    grimmy82
    Petty Officer

by grimmy82 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:58 am

junkhead13 wrote:
    grimmy82 wrote:I saw Pantera's video for "I'm Broken" on an episode of Beavis and Butthead. I had never heard anything like it!! Beavis and Butthead also led me to Slayer and the mighty Crowbar!

"Dammit Pantera, this beer is warm! Get me another one"

Classic one from "This Love"..

Ah, Beavis and Butthead! Still a great time to drink and watch the old episodes...

HAHA! I loved that one!! Beavis just went crazy during that one.
    I love the part when they're watching the Crowbar video and Butthead tells Beavis that the music is slow and fat. LMAO :lol:
    Manowar wrote:Come here! REMOOOOOOOOOOVE YOUR GARMENTS!

DragonLordJones wrote:judge no 2

oh by the way I'm partially blind so I hope they come in braille :cheers: :lol:
    raising_iron
    Wiper

by raising_iron » Sun May 02, 2010 5:27 pm

City/Country---

Belding, MI USA

Age---

What first got you into metal---

1977-was 7 years old, moved to a new town, first friend I met, his dad was into everything metal, Priest, Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Kiss, Rush, etc. we would listen to his dad's vinyl all the time...as I grew up, continued to eat, drink, sleep, breath, and live metal

Play any instruments---

Yes, I play bass in a local covers band called Engine of Chaos, doing 80's and 90's heavy/thrash/traditional band covers

Top 5 bands---

OMG that's tough but I gotta go with the bands that have had the biggest impact on me over the years,
    Iron Maiden
    Opeth
    Candlemass
    Metallica
    Black Sabbath

What do you do---

I am vice president of logistics for a large midwest regional trucking company that hauls fresh produce

What do you like to do in your spare time---

Play in my covers band. I also write reviews/columns/etc. for www.maximummetal.com, read, and drink GOOD beer!

What deck are you on---

don't know, will be booking a cabin in about a month

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do---

I love listening to Leonard Cohen, Gordon Lightfoot and Johnny Cash (not metal, but they can be dark and brooding!)
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Mon May 03, 2010 11:04 am

City/country:
    Bay Area California USA

Age (optional):

It was Maiden. It was Hallowed be they Name by Maiden... the feeling I got when I first heard that song was amazing.

Play any instruments?
    Paino. And no its hella not metal but I took many many years classical lessons

Top 5 bands?
    THIS IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Iron Maiden
    EXODUS
    EDGUY
    Finntroll
    Turisas

God I don't know I could probably make you a top fifteen list alot easier!

What do you do?
    I work in heinous corporate america. Specifically I'm a commercial insurance broker at a national financial services firm. I wear a disguise to work.

What deck are you on?
    L

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    "You're all talk"
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon May 03, 2010 12:39 pm

vainglory wrote:Play any instruments?
    Piano. And no its hella not metal but I took many many years classical lessons

Don't sell 'em short. I'm not a HUGE fan of metal with keyboards but I have to hand it to the metal pianist/keyboardists of the world. There's plenty of bands employing keys in what I think of as Symphonic metal now so they've definitely found their niche. Lots of classic bands have used them too, although more sparingly, on a few handfuls of songs. Sure, a piano isn't the first instrument you think of when someone mentions metal but it definitely has it's place. I can easily think of a dozen great songs that would never have been what they were/are without them.

The one that comes to mind right now is Dreamer Deceiver by Priest. You only hear them for about 30 seconds near the end of the song but if they were omitted... Just wouldn't be the same. Then there's Prelude too :D
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Mon May 03, 2010 1:00 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    vainglory wrote:Play any instruments?
    Piano. And no its hella not metal but I took many many years classical lessons

Don't sell 'em short. I'm not a HUGE fan of metal with keyboards but I have to hand it to the metal pianist/keyboardists of the world. There's plenty of bands employing keys in what I think of as Symphonic metal now so they've definitely found their niche. Lots of classic bands have used them too, although more sparingly, on a few handfuls of songs. Sure, a piano isn't the first instrument you think of when someone mentions metal but it definitely has it's place. I can easily think of a dozen great songs that would never have been what they were/are without them.

The one that comes to mind right now is Dreamer Deceiver by Priest. You only hear them for about 30 seconds near the end of the song but if they were omitted... Just wouldn't be the same. Then there's Prelude too :D

I like plenty of bands that have keys in them... the main problem with piano is lack of portability and really it IS a different instrument than keyboard (soundwise not skillwise). Maybe I should buy myself a keytar!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 pm

vainglory wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:
    vainglory wrote:Maybe I should buy myself a keytar!

Lol... So hard to look cool playing one of those. I know it's supposed to be music before image but... Damn, someone's gotta find a better way haha!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Mon May 03, 2010 7:06 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    vainglory wrote:Maybe I should buy myself a keytar!

Lol... So hard to look cool playing one of those. I know it's supposed to be music before image but... Damn, someone's gotta find a better way haha!

its true. I've really never seen on pulled off cool.
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Mon May 03, 2010 7:40 pm

I wouldn't say that.
    Bands like Sonata Arctica make the keytar look like a fun instrument.
    Dream Theater does the same.

I think it's pretty neat if the person holding it knows what they're doing.
    For goodness sake, Eluveitie, and Turisas make unusual metal music instruments look pretty awesome.
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Mon May 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Max_Rockwell wrote:I wouldn't say that.
    Bands like Sonata Arctica make the keytar look like a fun instrument.
    Dream Theater does the same.

I think it's pretty neat if the person holding it knows what they're doing.
    For goodness sake, Eluveitie, and Turisas make unusual metal music instruments look pretty awesome.

O trust and believe Eluveitie and Turisas are on my top ten list.
    LOVE.
    They keytar just has a built in cheese factor... i guess its pulled off cool when the player embraces that.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon May 03, 2010 10:24 pm

City/country:
    Äänekoski, Finland

Age (optional):

Iron Maiden way back in the early 80's. Got Killers as a birthday gift.

Play any instruments?
    Nope.

Top 5 bands?
    Primordial, Epica, Aborted, Vader, Dying Fetus
    ...just took a look at my Mediamonkey playlist and there's over 300 bands there - mostly technical death metal, gore- or deathgrind and female-fronted bands.

What do you do?
    I work as CEO of a HPAC(or plumbing) company. I'm also a part-owner with 1/3.

What deck are you on?
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    lore66
    Wiper

by lore66 » Sat May 08, 2010 2:01 pm

City/country:
    Mexico city

Age (optional):
    16... :shock:

it was 5 years ago, when a teacher that was into prog rock, told us to just lay down and he'd play some music, it was echoes from pink floyd...after the song i couldn't express what i had just felt...they were so many feelings founded,there are no words that can described what i lived that day. then i started getting more into it and discovered metal.
    Play any instruments?
    used to play guitar
    Top 5 bands?
    Iron Maiden
    Testament
    Sodom
    Death
    Transmetal (mexican metal \m/)

What do you do?
    i'm a highschool student, but i'm dedicated to art n music, after highschool i want to do something that involves both.

What deck are you on?
    N

i used to love black eyed peas haha
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Sun May 09, 2010 8:34 pm

My name is Lauren, but normally you'll hear my friends calling me "Lulu", "Lu", or "Lucifer".

City/Country
    USA, Columbus, BROhio

When I was very young, I had friends who were all quite a few years older than I was(I was 7 & a few of them we 14& 15) & I was exposed to bands like Anthrax, Maiden, Alice In Chains, & Guns N' Roses. GN'R still is & always will be one of my favorite bands.

Play any instruments?
    Nope =/ I would love to learn bass one day, though.

Top 10(sorry, couldn't do 5) Bands
    Guns N' Roses
    Gama Bomb
    Alice In Chains
    Obituary
    Bigwig
    Pearl Jam
    Skeletonwitch
    Municipal Waste
    Bad Brains
    Mastodon

What do you do?
    I work at a Doggie Daycare. That's right, I get paid to play with your dog. And I'm a part-time bartender at a laundromat/bar. Yep.

Walk my bullmastiff, Ahab, ride my bike, got to shows(obviously), camping, reading, watch movies, & sit on my porch & get drunk.

What deck are you on?
    Dunno, yet. My friends & I are still waiting on our confirmation. But we're definitely going!

I don't have any guilty pleasures as far as music goes. I freely admit that I love everything & I'm not embarrassed. That's creepy, but...*shrug*
    D E C K 6
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon May 10, 2010 2:18 pm

City/Country:
    Chicago, USA

What first got you into metal:
    Several years ago, I read about the fact that Steven Wilson (of Porcupine Tree – one of my favorite non-metal bands) produced Opeth’s Deliverance, Damnation, and Blackwater Park. On a wim, I bought a ticket to see Opeth in the fall of 2005 (not even knowing their music!).  Needless to say, I was totally blown away by them…and, well….life has not been the same since.

Top metal experience to date:
    Wacken 2009 (and I’m my way to Wacken 2010 which I have a feeling may surpass 2009!)

Play any instruments?
    Played acoustic guitar a bit long ago – would like to pick it up again at some point.

Top 5 (metal) bands:
    Opeth
    Dimmu Borgir
    Pain of Salvation
    Tyr
    Epica

More metal fave bands (would be way longer if I included non-metal):  Agalloch, Amon Amarth, Arcturus, At the Gates, Behemoth, Borknagar, Dark Tranquility, Dir en Grey, Dream Theatre, Eluveitie, Emperor, Ensiferum, Enslaved, Ex Deo, Finntroll, Goatwhore, Heaven and Hell, Heidevolk, High on Fire, H.I.M., Hypocrisy, Immortal, In Extremo, In Flames, Kamelot, Kivimetsan Druidi, Korpiklaani, Lamb of God, Leaves' Eyes, Machine Head, Marduk, Moonsorrow, Motorhead, Municipal Waste, Napalm Death, Nightwish, Obituary, Orphaned Land, P.O.D., Paradise Lost, Primordial, Rage Against the Machine, Rammstein, Riverside, Samael, Satyricon, Scorpions, Septicflesh, Slayer, Strapping Young Lad, Swallow the Sun, Symphony X, Testament, Theatre of Tragedy, Therion, 1349, Tiamat, Turisas, UFO, Volbeat, Walls of Jericho

What do you do?
    librarian/historian/researcher

What do you do in your spare time?
    With full-time work, a house, and family, I wish I had more spare time!  I especially enjoy going to museums and other cultural institutions, dance performances, concerts (metal and other genres).  I also like to read – mostly non-fiction.

What deck are you on?
    K – deck 6

What’s a creepy think I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    Hmmm….well, I saw the American Idol Tour in 2008…does that count?

2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon May 10, 2010 2:28 pm

tyrwoman wrote:City/Country:
    Chicago, USA

Several years ago, I read about the fact that Steven Wilson (of Porcupine Tree – one of my favorite non-metal bands) produced Opeth’s Deliverance, Damnation, and Blackwater Park. On a wim, I bought a ticket to see Opeth in the fall of 2005 (not even knowing their music!).  Needless to say, I was totally blown away by them…and, well….life has not been the same since.

Wacken 2009 (and I’m my way to Wacken 2010 which I have a feeling may surpass 2009!)

Play any instruments?
    Played acoustic guitar a bit long ago – would like to pick it up again at some point.

Top 5 (metal) bands:
    Opeth
    Dimmu Borgir
    Pain of Salvation
    Tyr
    Epica

More metal fave bands (would be way longer is I included non-metal):  Agalloch, Arcturus, At the Gates, Behemoth, Dark Tranquility, Dir en Grey, Dream Theatre, Eluveitie, Emperor, Ensiferum, Enslaved, Ex Deo, Finntroll, Goatwhore, Heaven and Hell, Heidevolk, High on Fire, H.I.M., Hypocrisy, Immortal, In Extremo, In Flames, Kamelot, Kivimetsan Druidi, Korpiklaani, Lamb of God, Machine Head, Marduk, Moonsorrow, Motorhead, Napalm Death, Nightwish, Obituary, Orphaned Land, P.O.D., Paradise Lost, Primordial, Rage Against the Machine, Rammstein, Riverside, Samael, Satyricon, Scorpions, Septicflesh, Slayer, Strapping Young Lad, Swallow the Sun, Symphony X, Testament, Theatre of Tragedy, Therion, 1349, Tiamat, Turisas, UFO, Volbeat, Walls of Jericho

What do you do?

With full-time work, a house, and family, I wish I had more spare time!  I especially enjoy going to museums and other cultural institutions, dance performances, concerts (metal and other genres).  I also like to read – mostly non-fiction.

What deck are you on?
    K – deck 6

What’s a creepy think I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?

I like to hear stories such as this!! We have a lot in common (except I have been into metal for 34 years ) And I also like Porcupine Tree (and SW's side projects, as well as the keyboard players first band JAPAN (70s band))

Welcome to the Cruise and forums!!
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
  • Angus
    Wiper

by Angus » Tue May 11, 2010 9:25 am

City/country:
    Friesland, The Netherlands.

Age (optional):

I started with AC/DC and rolled into metal by Soulfly, Vader, Amon Amarth, Ancient and Immortal

Play any instruments?
    The triangle :headbanger:

Top 5 bands?
    AC/DC
    Amon Amarth
    Children of Bodom
    Volbeat
    Rammstein

What do you do?
    I'm a male nurse in the menthal health care. I work with people who are commited to the ward by law. Sometimes heavy (menthally) but also a lot of fun!!

Reading, going to concerts and festivals (Rock am Ring and Wacken this year), watching the telly.

What deck are you on?
    Where the concerts are! Must be possible to be awake for the hole trip!

Nothing, i'm a righteous person. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • kaluviva
    Petty Officer

by kaluviva » Tue May 11, 2010 9:56 am

Angus wrote:Play any instruments?
    The triangle :headbanger:

:lol: :lol:
    :death: :shred:
    CsarG
    Oiler

by CsarG » Tue May 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Chicago, USA

Play any instruments?

Top 5 (metal) bands:
    Opeth
    Dimmu Borgir
    Pain of Salvation
    Tyr
    Epica

More metal fave bands (would be way longer if I included non-metal):  Agalloch, Amon Amarth, Arcturus, At the Gates, Behemoth, Borknagar, Dark Tranquility, Dir en Grey, Dream Theatre, Eluveitie, Emperor, Ensiferum, Enslaved, Ex Deo, Finntroll, Goatwhore, Heaven and Hell, Heidevolk, High on Fire, H.I.M., Hypocrisy, Immortal, In Extremo, In Flames, Kamelot, Kivimetsan Druidi, Korpiklaani, Lamb of God, Leaves' Eyes, Machine Head, Marduk, Moonsorrow, Motorhead, Municipal Waste, Napalm Death, Nightwish, Obituary, Orphaned Land, P.O.D., Paradise Lost, Primordial, Rage Against the Machine, Rammstein, Riverside, Samael, Satyricon, Scorpions, Septicflesh, Slayer, Strapping Young Lad, Swallow the Sun, Symphony X, Testament, Theatre of Tragedy, Therion, 1349, Tiamat, Turisas, UFO, Volbeat, Walls of Jericho

What do you do?

What deck are you on?
    K – deck 6

After listening to Opeth life can´t be the same! :death:

From Dir en Grey or H.I.M to Immortal , it´s good to see someone with a really wide-open and international taste :D
    Faethor
    Oiler

by Faethor » Tue May 11, 2010 2:00 pm

City/country:
    Germany, near Frankfurt

Age (optional):
    26(27)

with all the german metal-festivals like wacken with full force and many more

Play any instruments?
    air guitar :shred:

Top 5 bands?
    heaven shall burn
    caliban
    dropkick murphys
    kreator
    swashbuckle

What do you do?
    pharmaceutical industry

Playing online games with friends, metal-Festivals, metal concerts, my motorbike and MC,

What deck are you on?
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Tue May 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Chicago, USA

Play any instruments?

Top 5 (metal) bands:
    Opeth
    Dimmu Borgir
    Pain of Salvation
    Tyr
    Epica

What do you do?

What deck are you on?
    K – deck 6

Your list of bands are even in alphabetical order, must be the librarian in you. :P Not a fan of Cannibal Corpse?
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue May 11, 2010 3:45 pm

City/country:
    Clearwater, FL

Age (optional):

When I first heard Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss

Play any instruments?
    Negative Ghostrider.

Top 5 bands?
    Opeth
    Lost Horizon
    Symphony X
    Solefald
    Ayreon

What do you do?
    Computer Retail for the time being.

What deck are you on?

Random Tidbit:
    I am currently developing an XBOX 360 Live Arcade game that is an old school RPG based on Heavy Metal and their many subgenres.

Dont have the slightest clue.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Tue May 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Monmisreal wrote:Random Tidbit:
    I am currently developing an XBOX 360 Live Arcade game that is an old school RPG based on Heavy Metal and their many subgenres.

Have you contacted Jack Black yet? he is the only one qualified for the starring role... :beerhorns: :beerwink:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue May 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Monmisreal.. I like your taste in music very much.
    You're the first one here besides me to mention Ayreon! :cheers:
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue May 11, 2010 4:12 pm

viathyn wrote:Monmisreal.. I like your taste in music very much.
    You're the first one here besides me to mention Ayreon! :cheers:

I love Ayreon even though I discovered them VERY late. I was in the mall and randomly walked by a CD of theirs that had a bunch of musician names on the front. I saw Mikael and Townsend on the same sticker and instantly bought it.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue May 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Yeah that must have been the Human Equation album.
    I really enjoyed the last two ayreon albums.. production was fantastic and awesome guest spots. I have the first one as well but some of them I haven't been able to find.

Have you listened to Guilt Machine?

Please check out my band

Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue May 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Yea, the last two were amazing.

I have to be in the mood for Guilt Machine. Its good but I get bored with that one very quickly; however, Star One is a band I can listen to all day long.
    CsarG
    Oiler

by CsarG » Tue May 11, 2010 4:21 pm

viathyn wrote:Yeah that must have been the Human Equation album.
    I really enjoyed the last two ayreon albums.. production was fantastic and awesome guest spots. I have the first one as well but some of them I haven't been able to find.

Have you listened to Guilt Machine?

The Human Equation is one of the best albums Ive ever listen to. Aryen is one of those uniqe composers who can bring up all those awesome musicians altogether. Including Mikael!

I also love Stream of Passion (another one of his projects) with the voice of Marcela Bovio and Dori as lead guitar(she left the band a couple of years ago). They have the best led Zeppelin cover I've ever heard.
    madmetalprof
    Oiler

by madmetalprof » Wed May 12, 2010 7:22 am

Hey all - my name is Steph. Just paid for the trip yesterday and I'm beyond STOKED! Never thought I'd go on a cruise in a million years, but on one that is a floating metal festival...hell, yes. I've been intermittently screaming in glee to myself for the past 24 hours. I know that's decidedly un-metal but try to not hold that against me.

City/country:
    San Diego, CA

Age (optional):

Two things. One: when I was a little girl, I had a babysitter who was really into Kiss. Not metal, I know, but the image of Gene Simmons spouting fake blood from his mouth was intriguing. Two: back in 84 or 85 or so, I got "caught" by my grandfather listening to something like Whitesnake on the radio while I was on a camping trip with family. He totally freaked out and screamed at me, saying that "rock music was created by Satan and was used by witch doctors to possess people's souls." This naturally got me interested.

Play any instruments?
    I sing in several local bands (including a metal tribute band...we do NWOBHM stuff) and I also play keyboards. I'm an avid collector of vintage analog synthesizers. I don't care what anyone says - used WELL, keyboards can be "metal."

Top 5 bands?
    Well, as everyone knows, it's damn hard to list only five. I'm into pretty much all types of metal...except for nu metal and metalcore...
    I'd have to say...
    Anything fronted by Ronnie James Dio (I'm probably the world's biggest Dio fan - ask me about my backpiece tattoo sometime if you want proof)
    Motorhead
    Slayer
    Mercyful Fate/King Diamond
    Emperor

What do you do?
    First and foremost, I'm a working musician. I play/sing gigs, engineer in the studio, do sound design for theatre, work as a copyist, etc etc.
    I teach audio production/MIDI production courses at a local community college and head up the "digital music tech" program where I teach.
    I have a part-time tattoo business that I run on the side.

What deck are you on?

Well, since I'm a working musician, I have to do gigs frequently that I'm not exactly into. But if it pays...you gotta pay the bills, you know? I've been a church organist on and off for a lot of years. It gets confusing if I play a metal show on Saturday night and then have to play the pipe organ the next morning. I'm always tempted to go into the intro for "Holy Diver" or "Mr. Crowley."
    Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Wed May 12, 2010 8:23 am

Hey, my name is Sam and I have yet to purchase tickets but I'm in the process of doing so!!

City/country:
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Age (optional):

I'd say it was a natural progression of my life and interests. My Dad took me to my first concert when I was 12, Ozzy Osbourne, I suppose that influence helped.

Play any instruments?

I've taken piano, guitar and vocal lessons but am by no means an expert.

Top 5 bands?
    Kamelot
    Pantera
    Dope
    Arch Enemy
    Slipknot

What do you do?
    Currently a total nomad but usually a full-time student.

What deck are you on?
    Not sure yet!

"I know what you did last summer"?
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed May 12, 2010 8:36 am

Lots of Canadians on here! :cheers:

Please check out my band

Narwhal
    Oiler

by Narwhal » Wed May 12, 2010 9:19 am

Hailz..!

City/country:
    Columbus/Ohio/USA

Age (optional):

The Enter Sandman video when it premiered on MTV, of course. As a young kid, I grew up on all kinds of music, and had an affinity for heavy/hair metal as well... still, that Metallica video was, memorably, the first time I ever witnessed anything that felt so new and different to me in music. I was 9 or 10 years old, and maybe it was the whole snakes-in-the-bed scene, but I was hooked.

Play any instruments?
    I'm a throat contortionist.

Top 5 bands?
    Unleashed
    Black Sabbath
    Kataklysm
    Carcass
    And of course, you can't live in Ohio and not give a spot to Skeletonwitch
    ...otherwise, too many to list!

What do you do?

Rape, pillage, and drink.
    Also, I'm an illustrator*. This is me: http://www.dawnbest.com
    *no, I don't care that you've had this idea for a tattoo for a thousand years and are just looking for someone to draw it for free before you can get it done

What deck are you on?
    Deck 5/interior

I call not it on answering this. :mrgreen:
    ...inventor of the shish-kebab.
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Interesting choice of name. What's your fascination for the unicorn of the sea?

Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    Narwhal
    Oiler

by Narwhal » Thu May 13, 2010 4:46 am

Captain Metal wrote:Interesting choice of name. What's your fascination for the unicorn of the sea?

Ah yes -- The noble narwhal; an amazing creature loved by Vikings and Eskimo alike. This video should explain everything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwqXuMPsoc
    ...inventor of the shish-kebab.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu May 13, 2010 7:38 am

Please check out my band

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu May 13, 2010 8:43 am

I’m not sure how to do multiple quotes in one post – so here’s a copy and paste job….

TOM CRUISE wrote:
    I like to hear stories such as this!! We have a lot in common (except I have been into metal for 34 years) And I also like Porcupine Tree (and SW's side projects, as well as the keyboard players first band JAPAN (70s band))

Welcome to the Cruise and forums!!

Thanks Tom for the welcome! Regarding my Opeth story, glad you liked it! As you probably did in the 70s/early 80s, I listened to a lot of (what is now called) “classic rock” back then – Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Rush, The Who, ACDC, Kiss, Ted Nugent, Styx, Aerosmith, Foreigner, Bad Company, Foghat, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, Scorpions, and UFO to name a few of my favorites. By the time bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, and the like were getting really popular, I had moved on to the musical genres of new wave, punk, industrial, early rap (like Run DMC) and some electronica kind of stuff. Then from the 90’s forward I listened to a lot of grunge, indie rock, alt rock, etc. And then….just when I thought I had kinda “been there, done that” music-wise, I went to that 2005 Opeth gig!! What I especially love about metal is how truly diverse it is – there’s a lot to keep me busy/interested for many years to come. So, it’s been an awesome musical journey.

Glad you are a Porcupine Tree fan as well. I believe there are other PT fans here on these forums. I’ve met Steven Wilson twice – very cool guy. His side project that I am the most familiar with is Blackfield (with Aviv Geffen). I’ve got their first recording and I love it. I like PT’s keyboard player, Richard Barbieri, too, and especially the drummer, Gavin Harrison, who is fabulous (even Neil Peart from Rush is a fan which says a lot). If you don’t know them, check out the latest band that Wilson has produced – Orphaned Land from Israel. I just saw them in March (and talked to the lead singer after – way cool) and will see them again at Wacken. They were featured in Sam Dunn’s metal doc – Global Metal. Their new video for Sapari is one of the best new music videos I’ve seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUi1yf97paw&feature=fvst

So, Mr. Cruise, we will definitely have to have a good chat about our Wacken experiences…and the 70s (lol) on the cruise! Cheers!

CsarG wrote:
    After listening to Opeth life can´t be the same!

From Dir en Grey or H.I.M to Immortal , it´s good to see someone with a really wide-open and international taste

Thanks for the comment CsarG. My favorite metal list is nearly half bands from Scandinavia – it’s the stuff I’ve been drawn to the most in recent years starting with Opeth of course!! After recently seeing Global Metal, I’d really like to eventually investigate more metal from around the globe. Dir en Grey is the only metal I’ve listened to from Asia for example and seeing Kyo perform live last fall was quite an experience! I mentioned Orphaned Land above from Israel and I gather there’s a fair amount of metal from there as well. Regarding H.I.M., I consider them a bit of a guilty pleasure (most metal folk I know can’t stand ‘em). The Funeral of Hearts video filmed in the frigid landscape of Finland is one of my favorites. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMD1k16baVE

onenight wrote:
    Your list of bands are even in alphabetical order, must be the librarian in you. Not a fan of Cannibal Corpse?

Good call on the librarian comment, onenight! Yeah, I guess we like to keep things organized ;-) It was easy though – to come up with my favorite metal band list I just scanned through the alpha list of artists on my Ipod. Regarding Cannibal Corpse, I’ve never really listened to them to be honest, but I did see Alex Webster on Sam Dunn’s first metal documentary and I thought his comments about metal and metal culture were really interesting. CC will be at Wacken this summer, so I’ll try to check them out then providing they don’t conflict time-wise with someone I want to see more.

See you all on the cruise - as madmetalprof wrote here, I'm totally stoked about it!
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Odin of Doom
    Wiper

by Odin of Doom » Thu May 13, 2010 9:46 am

Hey, my name is Bjørn Erik...I like to think of myself as a true viking....and I am ;)

City/country:
    Horten, Norway

Age (optional):

Got to be first time i heard Kiss Dynasty in the early 80s. A couple of years later I attended my first concert, Dio.

Play any instruments?
    Tried to learn how to play guitar, but landed on the bass.....not much playing these days, making me a much better bassplayer 20 years ago, compared to today.

Top 5 bands?
    Amon Amarth
    Slayer
    Dimmu Borgir
    Metallica
    Manowar....maybe....it`s too hard rating bands, as there are so many i really like.

What do you do?
    I`m a nurse in the local E.R

What deck are you on?

....dunno..
    Bjørn Erik

Cabin # 1570
  • VikingGirl
    Crewman

by VikingGirl » Thu May 13, 2010 10:45 am

Odin of Doom wrote:What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    ....dunno..

I know, I know! ;) But I won't tell! :lol:
    Eva

Cabin #1570
    Odin of Doom
    Wiper

by Odin of Doom » Thu May 13, 2010 11:02 am

VikingGirl wrote:
    Odin of Doom wrote:What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    ....dunno..

I know, I know! ;) But I won't tell! :lol:

What???! :?
    Bjørn Erik

Cabin # 1570
Post Reply 3920 posts