Locked 398 posts
70K Tons of Metal Cruise 2012?
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: 70K Tons of Metal Cruise 2012?

by mooyagi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:09 pm

sheila wrote:Awwww thanks Hun! We are slowly improving.. I can finally lift 2lbs and I have almost 100% of my range of motion back .. Yea!! Chris still has issues with his back .. But he's workin threw it. So happy it went smoothly and a lot of you seem to want to go in 2012... That makes me beyond happy to think I will soon meet all of you beautiful people! So cheers to 2012! :death:

It will be here before you know it! Good luck with the recovery. :beerhorns:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    metalWolf
    Oiler

by metalWolf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Barely cant't think about anything else - 2 days after the cruise I'm still filled up with endorphines.

Awesome music, awesome happy people on every deck. Met so great people there. Such a great venue for a metal festival.

Only thing missing were Edguy and/or Avantasia

Sure would book now for 2012 - hope the date will be announced soon.

Can't wait to dip into that pool again :givebeer:
    survived:2011(3091)&2012(2079)&2015(9397)&2016
    "Breakfast is the most important beer of the day"
    (Tony Kakko, pool stage 2011)

Alestorm-\-Arch.Enemy-\-Amon.Amarth.\.Amorphis-\-Children.of.Bodom-\-Dimmu.Borgir.\-Edguy-\-Hammerfall-\-Kamelot-\-Kataklysm-\-Korppiklaani-\-Nightwish-\-Orphaned.Land-\-Stratovarius-\-Tankard-\-Virgin.Steel-\-Blind.Guardian-\-Ensiferum-\-Iced.Earth-\-In.Legend-\-Moonspell-\-Sabaton-\-Soilwork-/-Axel.Rudi.Pell-/-Iced.Earth-/-Dimma-/-Ektomorf-/-Eläkeläiset-/-Fates.Warning-/-Kyuss.Lives-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Power.Quest-/-Powerwolf-/-Threshold-/-Van.Canto-/-VisionOfAtlantis-\-Volbeat-\-W.A.S.P.-\-Sodom?-\-Sonata.Arctica(but-they-MUST-play’White.Pearl’this-time!!!)
  • kaluviva
    Petty Officer

by kaluviva » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:29 pm

I think a faster announcement of bands would have helped sales as well. I've been talking to all my friends that didn't go this year, and they say they want to go next year for sure, so there are definetly more people interested.
  • Digimortal
    Chief Petty Officer

by Digimortal » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:00 pm

I'd love to be there next year again. But it all depends on my expenses this year etc.
    Survivor of:
    2011: Cabin 6526
    2012: Cabin 4051
    2013: Cabin 2525
    2014: Cabin 3015
    2015: Cabin 8687
  • DeadAnkh
    Oiler

by DeadAnkh » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:38 pm

stoverkill wrote:I'm already at the dock! I have my tent set up under a bridge at the port of Miami!

First in line!!!! :headbanger:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Nice one...
    70000 tons of reasons to get my ass there on 2012!!!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:30 pm

I spoke to the events co-ordinator for Royal Caribbean.

He said that next one will most likely be on Majesty of the Seas again.

He also said that an idea he has floated (and I LOVE it!!) is that next cruise....sails to a private island, have shows on the Island, then sails back!

How cool would that be!!??!!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:23 pm

cowboy71 wrote:I spoke to the events co-ordinator for Royal Caribbean.

He also said that an idea he has floated (and I LOVE it!!) is that next cruise....sails to a private island, have shows on the Island, then sails back!

Holy shit that would rule! Can we just send the boat back once we all get on the island?
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:29 pm

That would rule and I love it, but the only problem I see is moving all that band shit on and off the boat again. Did you see the freaking crane they were using out on the pool deck to move that stuff? Unless they have a stage already set up on the island and all they have to do is bring guitars but that seems highly unlikely that some private island would have all the proper sound equipment (e.g. big freaking stack of Marshall amps.... I don't think so Tim)
    13 time survivor
  • DeadAnkh
    Oiler

by DeadAnkh » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:30 pm

WHAT THE FUCK!?
    A METAL ISLAND????
    THAT SOUNDS JUST LIKE THE ONE WE ALL IN HERE NEED, RIGHT? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
    70000 tons of reasons to get my ass there on 2012!!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:30 pm

stoverkill wrote:That would rule and I love it, but the only problem I see is moving all that band shit on and off the boat again. Did you see the freaking crane they were using out on the pool deck to move that stuff? Unless they have a stage already set up on the island and all they have to do is bring guitars but that seems highly unlikely that some private island would have all the proper sound equipment (e.g. big freaking stack of Marshall amps.... I don't think so Tim)

Buzzkill :cry: That idea does sound too good to be true. I kept hearing rumors of Jamaica next time.
    Zeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Zeh » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Those rumors makes me dream about next event! OMFG!
    -----------------
    Zeh
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 pm

gnoff wrote:this one crew member told me about an island that the cruise line had bought, so yeah, who knows?

i have heard that too!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:23 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    gnoff wrote:this one crew member told me about an island that the cruise line had bought, so yeah, who knows?

i have heard that too!

CONFIRMED!
    http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/group/home.do?portCode=LAB
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 pm

haiti? dang. i hope there are toilets and no cholera there.
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Disaster Area wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:

i have heard that too!

CONFIRMED!
    http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/group/home.do?portCode=LAB

Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:40 pm

^fuck^
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:51 am

the island idea sounds like fun but doesn't make it any more special for me
    (though I could easily do without Cozumel)

waking up this morning I was thinking about my savings book I have from my childhood years
    it was supposed to be for something special - and I'd say this something special is cruise no2 and no3 :cool:
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • MaJISHaN
    Oiler

by MaJISHaN » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:29 am

I think, in our minds we've already booked. :lol:
    Another route would be cool though. Maybe Jamaica if it's not too far. A stop on a private island with concerts on the beach would be the most amazing thing ever. Coco Cay is also owned by Royal Caribbean and it's even closer than Cozumel. Maybe the equipment can be brought there beforehand...

kaluviva wrote:This was my first metal festival ever. I'm thinking in going to MetalCamp 2011 =D I guess once you like festivals, you can't just stop! :headbanger:

I don't know if I should feel sorry for you, but no festival will ever be anything like 70k ToM. So, everything you go to will pale im comparison. It's unfortunate to experience the best thing first... ;)

Bolt_Thrower wrote:The question is whether or not the promoters at least broke even. I know they didn't sell out. Has anybody heard what the profit/loss was?

I got mixed information regarding this matter. The brother of my girlfriend knew someone who knew someone from 70k ( :lol: ) and that someone told her that it's gonna be a huge success for Royal Caribbean but not for 70k. Schmier on the other hand was pretty sure that they would make a profit. But since RC made such a huge profit on alcohol alone, maybe they're going to offer 70k better conditions for the next one. And if the statement is true, that booking for 2012 is going to start soon, I think that the ship is/was already chartered no matter the profit.
    But looking at the feedback and word-of-mouth the next cruise will most definitely be sold out, so that shouldn't be a problem...
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:52 am

tyrwoman wrote:If indeed a 2012 cruise happens - who would absolutely, positively go?

Is this a rhetorical question ??????

I would go even before they announced any of the bands. I asked plenty of people the same thing and before I could even finish the question, they said YES. It was just that damn good.

I know I said this to a bunch of you already, so pardon my repetition, but I ALWAYS build things up in my mind no matter what it is: new CD, movie, trip, roller coaster I want to ride and NOTHING ever matches the pie in the sky expectations I have for it. I then have to readjust my expectations into the normal stratosphere and realize that not everything NEW in life can be the "best of the best" or "the greatest thing since sliced bread".

BUT, with this cruise, I had my typical insanely high hopes and it EXCEEDED those in spades. I'm still kinda in shock that it did that. But talking with everyone online for 8-10 months beforehand was a HUUUUUGE part of that and then meeting and hanging out was the "End Complete" for me (Obituary pun intended).

I don't have any prior festival experience for me to judge this against. But the wife and I were part of the American Coaster Enthusiasts for a few years and we went all over the country riding roller coasters, meeting people, etc. We met alot of cool people and are friends with some of them to this day. But that pales in comparision to this cruise and the future ones.

METAL is a much more bonding experience :mrgreen: :deathmetal: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:04 am

70,000 TONS OF METAL 2: Devil's Island
    2011 : Cabin #3500 - Survived
    2012 : Cabin #4025 - Pending

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 am

tyrwoman wrote:Lol.....been home less than 24 hours and I'm already thinking about this epic metal adventure happening again in 2012. (similarly, I made plans to go to Wacken 2010 immediately upon returning from Wacken 2009 :headbanger: :beerwink: )

If indeed a 2012 cruise happens - who would absolutely, positively go?
    Count me in! :D :cheers:

99% certain we'll go next year! Found out that I'm getting a bonus in two weeks, that should cover it!

If the world does indeed end on 12/21/2012, I want to experience 70,000 Tons of Metal one more time before I die! :death:
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 am

metalgoddess wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:Lol.....been home less than 24 hours and I'm already thinking about this epic metal adventure happening again in 2012. (similarly, I made plans to go to Wacken 2010 immediately upon returning from Wacken 2009 :headbanger: :beerwink: )

If indeed a 2012 cruise happens - who would absolutely, positively go?
    Count me in! :D :cheers:

99% certain we'll go next year! Found out that I'm getting a bonus in two weeks, that should cover it!

If the world does indeed end on 12/21/2012, I want to experience 70,000 Tons of Metal one more time before I die! :death:

I thought the Mayan calender runs out in april or may..? :lol:

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:57 am

metalgoddess wrote:If the world does indeed end on 12/21/2012...

Now that does NOT sound like much of a b'day gift whatsoever :evil:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:16 pm

sheila wrote:Awwww thanks Hun! We are slowly improving.. I can finally lift 2lbs and I have almost 100% of my range of motion back .. Yea!! Chris still has issues with his back .. But he's workin threw it. So happy it went smoothly and a lot of you seem to want to go in 2012... That makes me beyond happy to think I will soon meet all of you beautiful people! So cheers to 2012! :death:

You and Chris were all over the freakin boat this year!....party animals! ;)
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
  • sheila
    Chief Petty Officer

by sheila » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:31 pm

Yea we were riding your ass the whole time... Muhaha!!! :death:
    #4047 in spirit...:(
    #2063 2nd 70k
    Barge to hell ... Ummm gotta look that # up . Was a blurr!
    2035...for 2014!!!
    2015.. AND our metal wedding!
    Booked 2016!
    Mrs. Steeves❤️
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:37 pm

debborah1 wrote:

Debb, was that you flashing a guy at a pizza place one evening when some yelled "No tank tops allowed, this is a decent restaurant." ? :P
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:44 pm

NuuX wrote:
    debborah1 wrote:

Debb, was that you flashing a guy at a pizza place one evening when some yelled "No tank tops allowed, this is a decent restaurant." ? :P

No it wasnt me hun....
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:53 pm

debborah1 wrote:Debb, was that you flashing a guy at a pizza place one evening when some yelled "No tank tops allowed, this is a decent restaurant." ? :P

No it wasnt me hun....[/quote]

Good, I thought I missed yet another session. ;)
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 pm

I will definitely be there! I've had friends and people that I've met in Canada in 2009 say that they've seen all my photos and will share a room with me next year! And if it's on Majesty Of The Seas again that would be awesome too!

Not sure that I like the idea of getting off the ship to see shows. One of the major selling points of the cruise is that you are on a boat with the bands and will run into them, will be able to talk to them and hang out with them/eat dinner/get drunk/sing karaoke. Throwing an island into the mix that is bigger than the ship would deplete that to a degree. I like the shows on the boat and the pool deck ROCKED! If the island is used like Cozumel and we dock for 10 hours for excursions, etc it would be great.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:10 pm

i haven't seen anyone who said they were definitely NOT going in 2012.....do these people exist? if so, i'm very sorry for you and i hope you have a good reason!
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Evican wrote:Not sure that I like the idea of getting off the ship to see shows.

You can get a few power metal monkeys to get all weepy & acoustic in a straw hut. This way they don't have to lug much equipment with them. A few pink tutu's, guitars and tissue boxes.

:deathmetal: :deathmetal: :deathmetal:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:22 pm

KevinP wrote:You can get a few power metal monkeys to get all weepy & acoustic in a straw hut. This way they don't have to lug much equipment with them. A few pink tutu's, guitars and tissue boxes.

:lol:

Completely unrelated, but... Look up "Vegemite Kitten" on google images. :lol:
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:22 pm

KevinP wrote:
    Evican wrote:Not sure that I like the idea of getting off the ship to see shows.

You can get a few power metal monkeys to get all weepy & acoustic in a straw hut. This way they don't have to lug much equipment with them. A few pink tutu's, guitars and tissue boxes.

HAHAHAH good one tigger! and while you're at it, have the be-dreadlocked folk metallers join you with some bongos and fiddles and shit.

Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Evican wrote:
    KevinP wrote:You can get a few power metal monkeys to get all weepy & acoustic in a straw hut. This way they don't have to lug much equipment with them. A few pink tutu's, guitars and tissue boxes.

wow #1 position, impressive!

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Disaster Area wrote:
    Evican wrote:

wow #1 position, impressive!

hahhahhahaha it says "beencaughtbuttering" hahahahah
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    dstrbd1
    Crewman

by dstrbd1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:30 pm

debborah1 wrote:

I'm not allowed to be a party animal. It brings out a side of me rarely seen. :heavydrink:
    Trust no one
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Evican wrote:Completely unrelated, but... Look up "Vegemite Kitten" on google images. :lol:

Took me about 4 tries before I realized DUH, Google IMAGES. For some reason some Amanda Palmer broad came up as #1 via regular Google.

Classic that Pungent Stench came up. :deathmetal: :lol: What possessed you to google search that ???
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:49 pm

KevinP wrote:
    Evican wrote:Completely unrelated, but... Look up "Vegemite Kitten" on google images. :lol:

Took me about 4 tries before I realized DUH, Google IMAGES. For some reason some Amanda Palmer broad came up as #1 via regular Google.

Classic that Pungent Stench came up. :deathmetal: :lol: What possessed you to google search that ???

Clearly the lack of Vegemite in your coffee has been severly affecting you. :lol:

I'm bored at work and don't want to be here! Four hours and twelve minutes to go. THEN I'M WEARING MY 70000 TONS SHIRT TO THE BLACK METAL FESTIVAL TONIGHT TO CAUSE JEALOUSY! Oh and Karhl will be there. That is, if he makes it there. :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:19 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    NuuX wrote:Debb, was that you flashing a guy at a pizza place one evening when some yelled "No tank tops allowed, this is a decent restaurant." ? :P

No it wasnt me hun....

Oh yes it was! I was there.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Evican wrote:Clearly the lack of Vegemite in your coffee has been severly affecting you. :lol:

I'm bored at work and don't want to be here! Four hours and twelve minutes to go. THEN I'M WEARING MY 70000 TONS SHIRT TO THE BLACK METAL FESTIVAL TONIGHT TO CAUSE JEALOUSY! Oh and Karhl will be there. That is, if he makes it there. :lol:

Maybe, although I haven't had a cup since then (not really a coffee drinker). Karhl showing up is like Deicide actually going through with their tour plans (don't hold your breathe) :lol:

It seems like there are waaaaay too many of us with the ability blow off work far too much lately. :shock:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
Locked 398 posts