Locked 182 posts
What I learned on 70000TONS, Year 1
    WizardBeast
    Captain

What I learned on 70000TONS, Year 1

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:55 pm

1) First i must say that THIS CRUISE RULED!!!!!!!!!!!! RULED RULED RULED. i think everyone who went this year wants to go again!

2) it sucked for non-smokers. the indoor venues had poor ventilation and everyone chainsmoking at bars and venues made it hard to breathe and resulted in headaches and stinkiness. i want smokers to still have their places to light up, but not the whole of the ship esp. indoors.

3) socializing takes planning. i spent more time watching the bands than i thought (which was great, but it was less time hanging with everyone than i wanted). the idea to meet at karaoke on weds. night at 1:30 am was brilliant cuz that's when we got a big group together. would have liked to have had meals w/peeps and more hanging out with others!

4) plan better for the excursion. we wasted lots of $$ on cabs trying to find people only to return to the ship not having run into anyone and not having anything planned. whoops! sounds like many groups had fun - wish we had joined!

5) don't get so damned wasted at the pre-party! it was fun but resulted in a very sucky Monday for Nick and me. i easily drank more at the pre-party than the whole rest of the trip combined, and those drinks cost more than the damn cruise drinks!

ok there were a lot of things....but these are the top 5 things i hope will be better for next year after having the experience! other than that, bring it all back on, i had WAY more positives than negatives but because i am a continuous improvement engineer at work i am always thinking of things to do better!!!!!
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

Re: What I learned on 70000TONS, Year 1

by Captain Metal » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Next time, you should go scuba diving with us. It was easier then I expected, considering I had never done it before.
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Captain Metal wrote:Next time, you should go scuba diving with us. It was easier then I expected, considering I had never done it before.

we will! looked awesome!
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Don't talk to Jon Shaffer about politics. Only fun thing about it was seeing a wasted Jeff Loomis waltz (literally) with a member of Blackguard into an elevator from the corner of my eye
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:19 pm

Element0s wrote:Don't talk to Jon Shaffer about politics...

whoops, yeah don't step into that pit man. One need only look at the tats on his right arm to know how that conversation would go.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
    Adam Blaze
    Oiler

by Adam Blaze » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Element0s wrote:Don't talk to Jon Shaffer about politics. Only fun thing about it was seeing a wasted Jeff Loomis waltz (literally) with a member of Blackguard into an elevator from the corner of my eye

I ran into a very wasted Loomis with the Blackguard guitarist as well. He was so trashed and all he could say to my buddy and I was "Where can I get some booze?" Luckily, we got him to take a pic with us. As you can see, he looks like he's having a great time :D

Haha, such an awesome way to meet one of my favourite guitar players of all time.
    2012 - Cabin 2539
    2011 - Cabin 3019
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:09 pm

adam! nice skeletonwitch shirt and wow, loomis was WAYSTED!
    ejd715
    Petty Officer

by ejd715 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:00 pm

OMG, yea Loomis-(read the thread of epic events of my Loomis encounter)

on the 3rd deck, there were 2 HILARIUOS pics of Loomis all trashed with this big dumb smirk with 2 chicks pulling down his shirt-i laughed my ass off-Bierwulf saw it and couldnt stop laughing either.
    2011-#3500 (barely survived!)
    2012-#4025 (piece of cake!)
    BOH HERE WE COME!!!!

Aeon The Crown Ex Deo Flotsam & Jetsam Harm Helstar Heathen King Diamond Kreator Old Man's Child Pain Solution.45 Sanctification Sinister Susperia Sybreed Zonaria
    DrAmygdala
    Petty Officer

by DrAmygdala » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:10 pm

rhiawiz wrote:1) First i must say that THIS CRUISE RULED!!!!!!!!!!!! RULED RULED RULED. i think everyone who went this year wants to go again!

2) it sucked for non-smokers. the indoor venues had poor ventilation and everyone chainsmoking at bars and venues made it hard to breathe and resulted in headaches and stinkiness. i want smokers to still have their places to light up, but not the whole of the ship esp. indoors.

3) socializing takes planning. i spent more time watching the bands than i thought (which was great, but it was less time hanging with everyone than i wanted). the idea to meet at karaoke on weds. night at 1:30 am was brilliant cuz that's when we got a big group together. would have liked to have had meals w/peeps and more hanging out with others!

4) plan better for the excursion. we wasted lots of $$ on cabs trying to find people only to return to the ship not having run into anyone and not having anything planned. whoops! sounds like many groups had fun - wish we had joined!

5) don't get so damned wasted at the pre-party! it was fun but resulted in a very sucky Monday for Nick and me. i easily drank more at the pre-party than the whole rest of the trip combined, and those drinks cost more than the damn cruise drinks!

ok there were a lot of things....but these are the top 5 things i hope will be better for next year after having the experience! other than that, bring it all back on, i had WAY more positives than negatives but because i am a continuous improvement engineer at work i am always thinking of things to do better!!!!!

I did little socializing, I wish I had done more. I also wish I saw more karaoke, heard that was a lot of fun.
    I agree that the smoking indoors was pretty annoying for non-smokers.
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:37 pm

1) Booze in Miami was waaaay overpriced and the dogs shit on the sidewalk in southbeach.
    2) Compared to Europe, the metal scene in the US (and in my hometown in particular) fucking BLOWS.
    3) Nothing in this world is perfect.... but this cruise was damn freaking close.
    4) You guys are the best. I think the world of everyone and would give any one of y'all the shirt off my back (even a Slayer shirt :headbanger: )

...and to all you non-smokers, I'll let you in on a little secret: I smoke, and even I hate all the smoke indoors. I'll sign any petition you want to get all the smoke outside. :cheers:
    SURVIVOR:
    70K1 | 70K2 | BTH | 70K3 | 70K4 | 70K5 | 70K6 | 70K7 | 70K8 | 70K9

WISH LIST: Dust Bolt | Toxic Holocaust | Lich King | Violator | Bewitcher | Haunt | Hellfire | Nuclear Assault | Xentrix | Hatchet | Power Trip | Terrifier
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:41 pm

stoverkill wrote:1) Booze in Miami was waaaay overpriced and the dogs shit on the sidewalk in southbeach.
    2) Compared to Europe, the metal scene in the US (and in my hometown in particular) fucking BLOWS.
    3) Nothing in this world is perfect.... but this cruise was damn freaking close.
    4) You guys are the best. I think the world of everyone and would give any one of y'all the shirt off my back (even a Slayer shirt :headbanger: )

...and to all you non-smokers, I'll let you in on a little secret: I smoke, and even I hate all the smoke indoors. I'll sign any petition you want to get all the smoke outside. :cheers:

yeah an outdoor smoking policy would be a welcome change!!!! i think that's why my throat hurts so bad too.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:43 pm

a big +1 to the above!
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

• Bolt_Thrower
    Petty Officer

by Bolt_Thrower » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 am

Element0s wrote:Don't talk to Jon Shaffer about politics. Only fun thing about it was seeing a wasted Jeff Loomis waltz (literally) with a member of Blackguard into an elevator from the corner of my eye

Guess I know where to talk politics next time. But I think we'd be preaching to each other's choir though.
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:11 am

Schaffers air boxing during the Blind Guardian second set was awesome lol.
    Seeing that guy wasted and goofy definitely made me a fan of his. I liked Iced Earth before, Demons and Wizards as well, but I never really found interested in the members.
    Dude definitely made a new fan out of me. I wish I had gone and partied with him on the boat.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:24 am

Max_Rockwell wrote:Schaffers air boxing during the Blind Guardian second set was awesome lol.
    Seeing that guy wasted and goofy definitely made me a fan of his. I liked Iced Earth before, Demons and Wizards as well, but I never really found interested in the members.
    Dude definitely made a new fan out of me. I wish I had gone and partied with him on the boat.

I even bought him a drink afterwards - just because we were the "two guys with taste" (quoting Blind Guardian's Hansi)

EDIT: it's not something I actually didn't know before, but: don't get too wasted
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 am

For some reason the smoke didn't bother me and I didn't seem to notice it. And I despise smoking with an utter stinking passion. I guess I was just so high on everything else that I kinda blacked it all out. :lol:

It seemed waaaay too easy to lose part of your group when a show ended even though you had plans to go to the next one together. Granted Bangers (Karhl) needs to be kept on a lease, but maybe we should get a bunch of walkie talkies or something. Yeah it sounds stupid, but since we don't have to ability to make calls without obtaining a 2nd job, those would work wonders. But it would also feel like a freaking chore and kill some of the spontaneity. Oh well, just a thought :mrgreen:

I did learn that karoake can be fun. Never did it before in my life and when I saw it on the interniery, I didn't think much of it. But after wandering in there on the first night with nothing to do and being mentally wired, it was a total blast. Ended up there every night for at least 4-6 hours after shows.

I also learned that my crazy brain will override my body and allow it to function on 4 hours of sleep over the course of 4-5 days. I feared the worst when I finally went to sleep Tuesday morning at 6am, thinking I was going to screw up my entire Tuesday. But 2 hours later I was eating breakfast and ready to go :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:37 am

I actually enjoyed talking politics with him.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:40 am

I thought it was wonderful that they allowed smoking. I hope next year they allow crack smoking.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    Deathbringer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Deathbringer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:20 am

1 - Don't drive from Nashville to Miami, ever. FLY.

2 - Catch more karaoke. I heard way more cool moments in there than I saw.

3 - Sneak more liquor on. It was too easy.
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:37 pm

I also learned that there are two types of people that sing along to Agent Steel songs: people in their fourties, and me.
    SAMANDRIEL:

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Element0s wrote:I also learned that there are two types of people that sing along to Agent Steel songs: people in their fourties, and me.

oh now it's over 35 and onto 40? lol anyway you have great taste, youngin'!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:51 pm

i saw a few people with walkie talkies! i think it would be a cool idea if you do wanna rally the troops
  • kaluviva
    Petty Officer

by kaluviva » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:35 am

Things I learned:

- Know how much your cabinmates can drink, and how they behave when they are wasted.

- Learn the lyrics to sing along.

- Not bringing such a big luggage (even though it wasn't heavy)

- Buy your merch on day 1, even if it's at 11pm! =D If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have gotten my 70000 Tons Survivor shirt!!

- Learn some Finnish and Swedish. German would help as well.

- It's better to go to Mexico with somebody else. I went alone and it wasn't THAT much fun =( All my cabinmates had passed out!!

- Save more money for the excursions and shit...

- Wear steal toes shoes in concerts. Being 5'2'', people stepped on me =(

I didn't really mind the smoke in the karaoke venue until the very end. But my clothes did stink like hell! It was very unpleasant the smell on my hair as well.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:42 am

rhiawiz wrote:i saw a few people with walkie talkies! i think it would be a cool idea if you do wanna rally the troops

I thought the same thing as it was easy for the group to break apart going from show to show.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:39 am

rhiawiz wrote:i saw a few people with walkie talkies! i think it would be a cool idea if you do wanna rally the troops

I actually planned on brining some walkie talkies, just didn't have the time to get any
    ...and those I found in Miami were just crap
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:46 am

rhiawiz wrote:
    Element0s wrote:I also learned that there are two types of people that sing along to Agent Steel songs: people in their fourties, and me.

All for the sake of the funny, ma'am!
    SAMANDRIEL:

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:12 am

rhiawiz wrote:
    stoverkill wrote:1) Booze in Miami was waaaay overpriced and the dogs shit on the sidewalk in southbeach.

yeah an outdoor smoking policy would be a welcome change!!!! i think that's why my throat hurts so bad too.

We smoke, but I'll jump in to agree that it pissed me off seeing people lighting up in what I thought were non-smoking areas. Was the Chorus Line supposed to be nonsmoking? I swore I saw some no smoking signs around but some people obviously did not care. We at least tried to keep it to the designated areas (the ones with ash trays, since, you know, gotta put them out and not LITTER). I am definitely one who likes to be able to leave the smoke behind when I want to (since I only smoked for part of two days the whole time), both at my own home and wherever I go. It's great to enjoy a smoke when allowed, but geez. Sometimes even us smokers wish we could come up for some fresh air or avoid having it blown in our faces. :heavydrink:
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 am

and me and my girl. I had a blast seeing them, they were amazing, especially both James and Rick, they tore it up hands down. Lyric sheet or not they could fucking those high notes like no tomorrow.
    things i learned

1. I didnt really need the nausea medicine, it just felt like standing on a bus
    2. The last day i bought booze with my own card ( i wasnt 21) meaning i probably could have purchased it the whole trip :|
    3. Dont get too wasted in Mexico , i wasted ATLEAST 200 bucks on booze in mexico in like and hour. :cry:
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:14 pm

Quite simply...I learned I am not 20 anymore :lol: :party: <-- that would be me on the right a few times
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:31 pm

Element0s wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:

All for the sake of the funny, ma'am!

NIce!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    Element0s wrote:All for the sake of the funny, ma'am!

NIce!

and that it was...Nick got a good chuckle on that one there eh!
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:35 pm

I think it was awesome you could smoke on the cruise and the venues and the breakfast area.
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 pm

Metalwrath wrote:I think it was awesome you could smoke on the cruise and the venues and the breakfast area.

Of course you would think that Peter!!...You slept for two outta the 4 days!!!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 pm

Metalwrath wrote:I think it was awesome you could smoke on the cruise and the venues and the breakfast area.

HAHAHA

dickhead... :lol:

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:39 pm

debborah1 wrote:

Of course you would think that Peter!!...You slept for two outta the 4 days!!!

Yeah i know.I'm still really pissed off about that.Have no fucking idea why i was so tired and worn out.barely even drank those 2 days.I'm pretty dissapointed in myself .Although i made sure to make up for it on the last night :twisted:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Disaster Area wrote:

HAHAHA

dickhead... :lol:

It's like when i'm at concerts in Germany.Some German said to me.it's illegal to smoke in the concerts here.You''ll get thrown out.Then i explained it's ok.As long as you pretened you are foreign and pretend you don't understand English.Several minutes later lots of German people started smoking after me :mrgreen:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:18 pm

I actually quit smoking. The last cig I had was at Miami Beach at 1:30am on Saturday morning. I took 4 packs of cigs with me on the cruise and smoked just 1 pack the entire 6 days I was in Florida....i gave the other 3 away yesterday. I am on a diet now and taking supplements and also working out.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:23 pm

rhiawiz wrote:adam! nice skeletonwitch shirt and wow, loomis was WAYSTED!

Yes, you have great tastes in music and shirts (I have that same one) and YES, Loomis was a stumbling wreck!
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:26 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:I actually quit smoking. The last cig I had was at Miami Beach at 1:30am on Saturday morning. I took 4 packs of cigs with me on the cruise and smoked just 1 pack the entire 6 days I was in Florida....i gave the other 3 away yesterday. I am on a diet now and taking supplements and also working out.

Kick ASS! :headbanger: :trashdrink: <that is a water bottle, not beer... :cool:

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:28 pm

:lol: What is a water bottle? Jeez, we bought that water package for 70 dollars and had 6 bottles left in the room! They should have given a discount!!!
Locked 182 posts