Locked 317 posts
Regrets?
    Laura
    Commander

Regrets?

by Laura » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:57 pm

The trip was so awesome and I saw most every band I wanted to see and met most of the people I wanted to meet, but here are a few of my "regrets".....

:cry: By the time I got around to buying a 70K tons shirt, they were sold out! Damn!

:cry: Only ran into Rob the ShoreSlayer/forum king once or twice and barely got to chat with him!

:cry: Missed the Sabaton singer crowd surfing and getting thrown into the pool! – saw the video someone posted though – so EPIC!

:cry: Met most of the forumites, but not all.

:cry: :oops: Missed BOTH Obituary, Trouble, and Forbidden gigs – argh!!! After staying up every night until 4-7:30 in the morning, had to catch some sleep at some point!!! (at least a few power naps here and there!) I rationalized missing Obituary because I’ve seen them before….but damn! I really wanted to see Forbidden and Trouble because I have never seen them before and…. – especially after meeting some of the Forbidden dudes via Debb and also meeting the Trouble dudes at O’Hare airport and having some drinks with Mark the drummer before we boarded on Sunday. Well, at least they are from US and hopefully I can see both on the next tour!!
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

Re: Regrets?

by Ecliptica » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:11 pm

I really didn't meet any forum people, and I apologize for that. Though in all the pictures you're uploading, I seem to be in the background of most of them. It's the metal version of 'Where's Waldo?'.

I missed both Iced Earth sets because I've seen them before and wasn't impressed, but I heard they were awesome on the ship. Oh well.

I regret being so short. I swear average height on the cruise was like 6'4". I'm about 5'7" and there wasn't a single person shorter than me on the boat. If I wasn't front row, I didn't really get to see the show. This also sucked for merch -- there were no medium 'Blackguard' shirts when I went to buy one.

Also didn't pack any black clothing. I was the one wearing green and white and gray the whole time. I didn't look metal at all, waaaaaaaaaah!
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:15 pm

I really do regret not seeing Amon Amarth on the pool side and banging my head on the front barricade. I really wanted to show off my headbanging lol.

Also regret not taking any pics with a lot of the bands, mainly iced earth. Just was star struck and didn't know if they wanted to be bothered or not.
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:22 pm

I regret not hanging out at karaoke with everyone. I wanted to try and sleep a bit after the last band. I shouldve realized that there will be time to sleep when I'm dead and just gone. Sounds like I missed a ton of fun.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:23 pm

asmegin wrote:I really do regret not seeing Amon Amarth on the pool side and banging my head on the front barricade. I really wanted to show off my headbanging lol.

Also regret not taking any pics with a lot of the bands, mainly iced earth. Just was star struck and didn't know if they wanted to be bothered or not.

well, i just uploaded the one of you and Alex Skolnick at least!
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Thought of another...
    Umm....I regret being "judgemental" and telling a certain lady who I ran into in the bathroom in the wee hours of the morning....that she is such a beautiful woman and shouldn't feel the need to walk around in a string bikini/thong the whole time to attract attention. :shock: :oops: It was the mother hen in me saying that...

But really, folks...TEHO.... :cheers:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:41 pm

mooyagi wrote:I regret not hanging out at karaoke with everyone. I wanted to try and sleep a bit after the last band. I shouldve realized that there will be time to sleep when I'm dead and just gone. Sounds like I missed a ton of fun.

yeah, i mean warrel dane wanted me to be his singing buddy, that was too cool.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Ecliptica wrote:I really didn't meet any forum people, and I apologize for that. Though in all the pictures you're uploading, I seem to be in the background of most of them. It's the metal version of 'Where's Waldo?'!

Hey Greg - I met you outside of the main theater at some point - thought there were some other forum folk there as well?
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:54 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I regret not hanging out at karaoke with everyone. I wanted to try and sleep a bit after the last band. I shouldve realized that there will be time to sleep when I'm dead and just gone. Sounds like I missed a ton of fun.

yeah, i mean warrel dane wanted me to be his singing buddy, that was too cool.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:04 pm

just one really:

Not finding out

THE TRUE IDENTITY OF WITCHBEAR!?
    :evil:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Damn post got eaten!
    Paraphrase:
    1) staying another day--was renting a car-no reservation-probably not fit to operate machinery.
    2) driving/walking is a madhouse!
    3) Went to the Bugatti/Bentley dealer--beautiful, people were rude and arrogant.
    4) Felt like a tourist--getting eyeballed,asked for $$ etc
    Back home tomorrow, hope no issues with the events in Egypt(security is going to be very rough I feel)
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:30 pm

And this! I fogot to wear thisImage
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
  • markojudas
    Wiper

by markojudas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:44 pm

My only regret was not seeing Marduk. I saw Sonata Arctica first then TYR for the second time... I regret seeing Sonata Arctica, since I've seen them before and this time I don't think they sounded that good. Both performances of TYR were amazing especially the one in Spectrum.
    Earthwormzim
    Wiper

by Earthwormzim » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Getting so drunk Thursday night that I couldn't remember how I got back to my room. Blacking out like that is always unnerving.
    ejd715
    Petty Officer

by ejd715 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:07 pm

missing karaoke after i did my stint with Mikael Stanne...

apparently, Warrel dane did Turbo Lover? WOW why did i miss that?

want to see footage of that!
    2011-#3500 (barely survived!)
    2012-#4025 (piece of cake!)
    BOH HERE WE COME!!!!

Aeon The Crown Ex Deo Flotsam & Jetsam Harm Helstar Heathen King Diamond Kreator Old Man's Child Pain Solution.45 Sanctification Sinister Susperia Sybreed Zonaria
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:47 pm

I regret not running into some of the forum regulars! I seemed to see the same people frequently, and other people not at all! I also kind of regret missing BG's second set after hearing about its awesomeness; we reallyyyyy wanted to catch Finntroll's late set that night and decided to sleep through BG as we had seen them twice before. I also regret being a little shy and overly polite; we drank at the bar with Amon almost every night but never had the balls to go say hey, although we did get head-nod acknowledgments when we'd walk in :D In retrospect, it was probably good we weren't overzealous, because we saw Johan EVERYWHERE (to the point of incidentally eating most of our meals practically right next to him) and I'm afraid it would have looked like we were stalking him :? Same thing with Hansi and Schaffer lmao. Wish I was capable of staying up later too, we watched karaoke one night (Barlow sat RIGHT next to me :shock: ) and wish we could have seen more!
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-Ihsahn-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:35 pm

ejd715 wrote:missing karaoke after i did my stint with Mikael Stanne...

apparently, Warrel dane did Turbo Lover? WOW why did i miss that?

want to see footage of that!

yeah me and heabymeta did turbo lover with him! i believe someone will be uploading that soon.
    BlueRaevyn
    Oiler

by BlueRaevyn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:42 pm

tyrwoman wrote:Thought of another...
    Umm....I regret being "judgemental" and telling a certain lady who I ran into in the bathroom in the wee hours of the morning....that she is such a beautiful woman and shouldn't feel the need to walk around in a string bikini/thong the whole time to attract attention. :shock: :oops: It was the mother hen in me saying that...

No offense to her - but if you're talking about the same one....

I regret making out (and man, making out is a LOOSE term with what I vaguely recall happening) with said woman in public as she ripped my top off during karaoke the last night...I saw camera flashes, and don't remember much...but well :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I guess that's about the only regret I have.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:43 pm

BlueRaevyn wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:Thought of another...

No offense to her - but if you're talking about the same one....

I regret making out (and man, making out is a LOOSE term with what I vaguely recall happening) with said woman in public as she ripped my top off during karaoke the last night...I saw camera flashes, and don't remember much...but well :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I guess that's about the only regret I have.

that musta been just after i left! ah well, we're all still alive eh, things happen - cheers
    GhostMemory
    Crewman

by GhostMemory » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:41 pm

I regret missing absolutely everything on the first day as I had been awake for almost 48 hours straight and really needed to sleep. I also regret getting completely hammered on the final night and missing Blind Guardian again (but I must thank those two very kind people who helped me down the stairs from deck 8 to deck 6, and one of my room mates who dumped me unceremoniously on the bed)

I also regret not talking to more people - everyone kept telling me I looked so uncomfortable and uptight, but that was just shyness!
    2011: CABIN #6526
    2012: CABIN #8074
    2013: AWOL
    2014: AWOL

Current mood: Just ate a pinecone...
    Jöhn&Melönius
    Crewman

by Jöhn&Melönius » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:50 pm

markojudas wrote:My only regret was not seeing Marduk.

/me got video of some of the spectrum show ;) Though I regret most that Tyr and Marduk where in conflict and I was too late to see the first 15min of Marduk before planning to bail for Tyr.
    Last edited by Jöhn&Melönius on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • sssocialservice
    Oiler

by sssocialservice » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:53 pm

#1 regret
    Not talking to more girls on the cruise..there was one ion my floor who I really wanted to talk to..oh well next year

and missing Karaoke..but it was brutally late
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Things I will know/do for the next time around:

- go to the Pre Party, not that I need any "ice breaker" but it would have been fun nontheless
    - arrange with all the new friends (as best as possible) to maybe hang around town for a day or two so people are not by themselves sitting at the airport or whatever. I'm
    kinda local so I have the flexibility.
    - put Bangers (Karhl) on one of those Child Leashes. You couldn't get from Point A to Point B without him disappearing. Or I'll have to map out a "Non alcohol stand"
    route.
    - rub Rhiawiz + Samandriel together in a pot of Viathyn & KevinP love stew :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm

GhostMemory wrote:I regret missing absolutely everything on the first day as I had been awake for almost 48 hours straight and really needed to sleep. I also regret getting completely hammered on the final night and missing Blind Guardian again (but I must thank those two very kind people who helped me down the stairs from deck 8 to deck 6, and one of my room mates who dumped me unceremoniously on the bed)

I also regret not talking to more people - everyone kept telling me I looked so uncomfortable and uptight, but that was just shyness!

i missed most of day 1 too, but made up for it watching everything i could the rest of the days! talk to us next year, would ya?
    militant_x
    Oiler

by militant_x » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:20 pm

no major regrets. Once I saw the running order I knew there would be big sacrifices to be made if I wanted to sleep, eat, get stuff signed, socialize etc etc. However,

1.) missing the first ensiferum set because I wanted to power nap, but one of my cabin buddies put the tv on and I ended up watching some lame show instead.
    2.) injuring my foot, kept me out of the pit the third and fourth days.
    3.) not going up and talking to more of my idols... was completely starstruck and didn't want to bother them.
    4.) not having lobster. Still don't know if it was even available, but I had heard cruises meant all you could eat lobster and I found there to be none.

overall an amazing time. I'll be reliving some moments for ever. =)
    Still the wind blows, calm and silent
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:21 pm

markojudas wrote:My only regret was not seeing Marduk.

The two Marduk gigs were huge highlights for me...I opted to see their entire second set even though they conflicted with Tyr. I rationalized this because I had seen Tyr 4 times between Mar 2009 and Aug 2010....only saw Marduk once about a year ago and I believe it had been 10 years since they had been in the states and who knows when they will be back. Imago Mortis from Rom 5:12 (my fave from that album) on the pool deck was unbelievable! Also, the image of badass Mortuus in front of the silvery, lizard-loungy curtain and potted plants on the Spectrum stage on a "loveboat" was priceless. :lol: :cool: :beerhorns:
    (sorry for the usual shitty quality of my indoor gig photos :roll: )
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:53 pm

- Being such a travel noob and booking flights and such so early rather than making plans with you guys for the days before and after
    - Failing to sleep on the plane on my way to Miami and thus killing part of my day 1
    - Getting so damned focus on little side projects and stuff that had me running in 10 directions at once so often that I failed to just chill and enjoy the people and the experience as much as I would have liked (that being said, I did squeeze a LOT into the many, many hours I was awake)
    - Being such an introvert that I didn't take more pictures of myself with all the great people I met from here and elsewhere
    - Getting so stoked about a woman agreeing to spend the day in Mexico with me that it was a bit of a zinger when she stood me up
    - Not getting a picture of me and Jasmin from the diamond store in Mexico
    - 4/5 of Trouble not showing up for meet n' greet
    - Discovering too late that Raven's meet n' greet got moved from the afternoon to the morning
    - Being so crappy with names/faces that I'm still confused about a few people lol
    - Not being able to drink (health reasons and personal choice but if ever there was a time and place to enjoy a few with friends... ) :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • Bolt_Thrower
    Petty Officer

by Bolt_Thrower » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:57 pm

I regret missing some of the bands but I just couldn't stay awake. I also regret not being able to afford getting drunk at $4.89 per beer. I regret not taking time to meet anybody but I was going from show to show until I collapsed. I did meet Raider55 though but it was just a 10 second conversation.
    Last edited by Bolt_Thrower on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hellpig
    Oiler

by Hellpig » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:08 pm

My only regrets was that I was so occupied with shooting bands for the mag and webzine for all 4 days that I did not talk that much with people and band, only shooting in the pit and drinking, and shooting and drinking, and so on (i'm used to it, done that for 10 years now on european festival)... but it was awesome!!! I was the canadian guy with the Kreator backpatch 'Pleasure to kill' in the photopit by the way! I'll be there next year for sure if there's a cruise!
    From beer to eternity

Cabin 4588
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:16 pm

I guess not really meeting any of the good people of the forums.
    I also heard the open mic night (the second one on the 3rd night) was a complete disaster.
    My cabinmates went to it but I just had no energy left, and they came back telling me how much of a failure it was.

It's too bad they set it up at such a lame hour. Like who really has the energy to jam at that hour after all those bands, partying, and other crazy things that require mass loads of energy?
    hodgy
    Crewman

by hodgy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:28 pm

While I don't regret being shorter than Ecliptica, I regret not meeting him so he could feel better about himself.
    I regret having to sleep, because of it I missed too much good shit, such as John Gallagher of Raven's bass clinic.
    I also hate that I missed Trouble, and didn't put forth more of an effort to find Elliot, the owner of Dean Guitars (and Uli Jon Roth's bass player).
    I also wish I would have worn some Depends undergarments during Uli's Sky Academy seminar so I wouldn't have missed any of it.
    I would have liked to have known about the Starlight restaurant earlier in the cruise. And also wish I would have chatted with more folks, but I'm a pretty quiet introvert myself.
    Next time I'm stocking up on Depends, crack cocaine, and 6-hour energy drinks.

Evil Red regrets not getting her chocolate from Gnoff, but thanks him for carrying it all over the world for her.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:37 pm

hodgy wrote:While I don't regret being shorter than Ecliptica, I regret not meeting him so he could feel better about himself.
    and didn't put forth more of an effort to find Elliot, the owner of Dean Guitars .
    And also wish I would have chatted with more folks, but I'm a pretty quiet introvert myself.
    Evil Red regrets not getting her chocolate from Gnoff, but thanks him for carrying it all over the world for her.

1. 5'6" and below UNITE!
    2. Had no idea he owned Dean Guitars, Rik Emmett (one of my favs) is playing Dean again these days so I would have loved to have chatted about that!
    3. We will force you to talk next time
    4.Red got her sparkly fix with the purse so the chocolate was not necessary
    :heavydrink:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:54 am

I regret missing Iced Earth twice.
    I'm not exactly sure what happened but my body kinda crashed i wasn't well the 2nd and 3rd day and had absolutley no energy and slept most of those 2 days.
    I also regret taking that acid the first night.Was really smashed at the time and thought it was a good idea.But apparently i was talking a lot of gibberish and making no sense to people.
    I even thought that the cruise was an illsuion and at once stage i thought i was in some city.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:22 am

- missing karaoke on Tuesday night
    - being too late for an official shirt (in a small size)
    - drinking way too much an Thursday (sorry to all who had to be around me after the first dozen of Jacks)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:35 am

Tons and Tons of them. Mostly not meeting people, talking to them and getting pictures.

Very sad that I did not meet several members of this forum. Namely Anika, that broke my heart pretty much.

Oh well, I just roll with it and if it happens, it happens. Everyone seemed busy pretty much with their group cliques, etc. And I knew that would happen once we all met in person. I am like Pee Wee Herman, a loner and a rebel and am NOTHING like what I appear to be online. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

I am happy I got to meet the happy smiling faces that I did and thanks for the hugs Laura.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:36 am

BTW- I am very depressed now that I am home and not cruising. So I might be a downer for a few days
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:06 pm

Continuing to play craps when I was up. . . . As quickly I was down.
    Wishing Marduk woulda brought some T-shirts and be out and about to the ship more. (yea yea, they are a black metal band least I got a pic with Mortuus)
    Buying 2 for one on the crown royal only to have some fuck face steal it outta my checked bag at MIA. Way to go airport security!

Other than that, I made sure to hit up Marduk, Moonspell, DT, and Testament which were my musts. Everything else was bonus awesome. Had a great time and would easily do it again.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:21 pm

I regret being human and having to crash at some point. I would have stayed up all night every night if I could have. Tooooooo much fucking fun!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:10 pm

viathyn wrote:I regret being human and having to crash at some point. I would have stayed up all night every night if I could have. Tooooooo much fucking fun!

That is Nilay's permanent mindset, she hates having to sleep.

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Don't get me wrong... I looooooooove sleeping.

But only when it's convenient! :P :lol:
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Locked 317 posts