Locked 93 posts
Noob advice needed
  • portharbor
    Crewman

Noob advice needed

by portharbor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:03 am

Allright vet's help a new guy out with some advice for this. It'll be me and my friend going on the cruise so what's the best level of cabin to get? food? places? etc etc

Thank you in advance :)
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: Noob advice needed

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:06 am

You're never in the rooms so a lower deck would be the most cost effective. I was on the lowest deck crammed into a 4 person cabin and had no problems whatsoever. Food is included with the ticket. Assuming it's on the majesty again, there's a buffet, a pizza spot, some fancy pants restaurant that I had no time to go to and then a Johnny Rockets (JR costs $5 for all you can eat).
    I should get around to updating my signature
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:08 am

I would say 5 or 6, as that is where the 'central hub' of everything is...we were on 5. You also want to definitely stay as close to the middle of the boat as possible. It's a long walk to the back if you have a cabin back there.
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:30 am

I'll use this for a newbie question too... the "alcoholic pass" must be paid with a credit card or I can use cash?
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:36 am

Yuo can use cash as well as a creditcard
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012
    Of all the things I´ve lost, I miss my mind the most...

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:37 am

pablov8 wrote:I'll use this for a newbie question too... the "alcoholic pass" must be paid with a credit card or I can use cash?

Either. With cash, you submit a deposit on your sea pass and use that to pay for everything. You can add money whenever you want to the sea pass account. Credit card is certainly easier as it gets tough to keep track of all the purchases thoughout the trip :lol: The sea pass is your official method of paying for everything.
  • TexasMetalhead
    Petty Officer

by TexasMetalhead » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:06 am

I think we spent maybe 5 hours out of each day in our room, 4 hours of sleep and the other hour for... :roll:
    2015 DECK 7
    2013 DECK 6(66)and AGAIN!!!
    2012 Deck 8 SURVIVED AGAIN!!!
    2011 DECK 6(66) MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 am

Look at a map of the ship and pick a room that is centrally located or near an elevator if you don't want to walk all the way down the hall anytime you need to get to the room for whatever reason.

If finances are an issue, don't worry about it and stick with cheapest available as you will never be in the room. :beerwink:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:27 am

If you like Power metal and heavy metal you should stay on deck 5 :shred:
    If you don't you can settle for one of the inferior decks :lol:
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:31 am

wildchild wrote:Yuo can use cash as well as a creditcard

mooyagi wrote:
    pablov8 wrote:I'll use this for a newbie question too... the "alcoholic pass" must be paid with a credit card or I can use cash?

Either. With cash, you submit a deposit on your sea pass and use that to pay for everything. You can add money whenever you want to the sea pass account. Credit card is certainly easier as it gets tough to keep track of all the purchases thoughout the trip :lol: The sea pass is your official method of paying for everything.

Great thanks, my trouble with credit card is that I always have to call to authorize each international transaction, I'm guessing that won't be easy from a ship in the middle of the ocean, and a non-alcohol trip is something i cannot and WILL NOT allow :heavydrink:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:29 pm

pablov8 wrote:
    Great thanks, my trouble with credit card is that I always have to call to authorize each international transaction, I'm guessing that won't be easy from a ship in the middle of the ocean, and a non-alcohol trip is something i cannot and WILL NOT allow :heavydrink:

You can't call ahead of time? As it appeared on my credit card statement, you get charged only once for all on broad expenses at the end of the trip.
  • Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:04 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    pablov8 wrote:

You can't call ahead of time? As it appeared on my credit card statement, you get charged only once for all on broad expenses at the end of the trip.

My cruise charge didnt go through untill like a week after we came back
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:42 pm

TexasMetalhead wrote:I think we spent maybe 5 hours out of each day in our room, 4 hours of sleep and the other hour for... :roll:

2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Technically the cruise was putting thru charges at the end of every day. If something with your credit card (like going over your limit or the bank flagging it for suspicious charges) catches up with you WHILE you're on the boat the SeaPass account will actually be suspended. :shock: I learned this thru my cabin-mate, who had something happen with hers. All of a sudden we were at the bar and her SeaPass was coming up declined! Talk about a scary situation. Everything worked out fine for her, but the lesson is that if you anticipate a hassle make sure you have a back up credit card or hope you make a lot of good friends on the boat who will buy you drinks if your card stops working!
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:48 pm

pablov8 wrote:
    wildchild wrote:Yuo can use cash as well as a creditcard

mooyagi wrote:

You give them your credit card number before you get on the ship......they issue you a "sea pass"....you use this "sea pass" as your cabin key, your I.D., & for any purchases, whether it be alcohol, merchandise, etc throughout the entire cruise....they only run the credit card number you give them ONE time.....and that is when the trip is over and you are done on the ship...so you would only have to authorize one purchase......hope that helps....

EDIT....I just read what Anika wrote ^above^....these questions should be discussed with whoever your credit card carrier is....maybe speak to someone from where you are that has had the cruise experience even....idk....just trying to help.....I think Im getting a head ache now lol
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Advice:

Go to the viking lounge and get bottles of wine, instead of buying beers.

Better yet, get your money's worth and stick to liquor!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

• Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:27 pm

viathyn wrote:Advice:

we werent able to drink it untill the last day
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Heabymetawhunta wrote:
    viathyn wrote:Advice:

we werent able to drink it untill the last day

Well, considering I walked around with an open bottle of wine drinking it 3 out of the 4 nights...
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:45 pm

my advice to a virgin cruiser is this-

keep monitoring the site daily to make sure you get in on the public on sales

Reason being-

The 2012 cruise invite to pre book will be emailed to every passenger who cruised this year. meaning that it could sell out in no time......
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:44 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:my advice to a virgin cruiser is this-

Reason being-

The 2012 cruise invite to pre book will be emailed to every passenger who cruised this year. meaning that it could sell out in no time......

So it's been confirmed that 2012 pre bookings will be available only to 2011 cruisers first? That's what i'm worried about. I think it's kind of unfair to offer first dibs to the 2011 cruisers only, would be good for you guys, i'm sure you're not complaining, but not for those of us who missed out and have not had the cruise experience yet. It should be open to the general public, to give those who have not experienced 70,000 Tons of Metal a chance. After all, I thought it was a public metal festival, not an invite only party...
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Conrad wrote:

Reason being-

So it's been confirmed that 2012 pre bookings will be available only to 2011 cruisers first? That's what i'm worried about. I think it's kind of unfair to offer first dibs to the 2011 cruisers only, would be good for you guys, i'm sure you're not complaining, but not for those of us who missed out and have not had the cruise experience yet. It should be open to the general public, to give those who have not experienced 70,000 Tons of Metal a chance. After all, I thought it was a public metal festival, not an invite only party...

I got confirmation on the phone that we do get a special presale. From the sounds of it, the presale is not long before the general sale and I wouldn't expect it to sell out right away. I know everyone here talks about going back (myself included) but for every one of us there are probably 10 others that cannot afford to do it again or just don't plan on it. We on the forum, though the loudest are not always indicative of what the general public thinks. I have no fear that you will be able to get on broad. Even those going back may need some time to collect potential cabinmates and whatnot before they can even book.

Edit: Thinking out loud here, my guess is that the organizers may have dealt with a lot of people that backed out of tickets after booking early for the last ones because of unforseen events or inability to make the payments. They may consider this a reward for those of us who did go on the first cruise. The promoters know we are reliable with our bookings and want to thank us for being part of the first of (hopefully) many events. I wouldn't expect it to happen every year, just this one time.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:11 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Conrad wrote:

Reason being-

I got confirmation on the phone that we do get a special presale. From the sounds of it, the presale is not long before the general sale and I wouldn't expect it to sell out right away. I know everyone here talks about going back (myself included) but for every one of us there are probably 10 others that cannot afford to do it again or just don't plan on it. We on the forum, though the loudest are not always indicative of what the general public thinks. I have no fear that you will be able to get on broad. Even those going back may need some time to collect potential cabinmates and whatnot before they can even book.

Edit: Thinking out loud here, my guess is that the organizers may have dealt with a lot of people that backed out of tickets after booking early for the last ones because of unforseen events or inability to make the payments. They may consider this a reward for those of us who did go on the first cruise. The promoters know we are reliable with our bookings and want to thank us for being part of the first of (hopefully) many events. I wouldn't expect it to happen every year, just this one time.

I hope so. I will plan on getting one of the cheaper tickets, in a 4 bed cabin I think, means more money saved for alcohol :heavydrink:

So i'll be looking for someone needing cabinmates. It doesn't matter to me who with, or where, I just want to be on the boat.

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Conrad wrote:I hope so. I will plan on getting one of the cheaper tickets, in a 4 bed cabin I think, means more money saved for alcohol :heavydrink:

So i'll be looking for someone needing cabinmates. It doesn't matter to me who with, or where, I just want to be on the boat.

In that case, you may want to start looking for a forum regular that went on the cruise last year, then you can be covered by the presale tickets. As part of the presale, a cruise veteran may have a n00b in their cabin and still book early, as per my conversation on the phone.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:23 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Conrad wrote:I hope so. I will plan on getting one of the cheaper tickets, in a 4 bed cabin I think, means more money saved for alcohol :heavydrink:

In that case, you may want to start looking for a forum regular that went on the cruise last year, then you can be covered by the presale tickets. As part of the presale, a cruise veteran may have a n00b in their cabin and still book early, as per my conversation on the phone.

Aaah, I wouldn't know where to start looking. Don't know exactly everyone whos going, and by the looks of it, the forum regulars are planning to buddy up and get cabins together.

But if any vet is reading this, and will be looking for a cabin mate, feel free to PM me when you're ready. I can guarantee I wont be a flake!
    :party: :cheers: :heavydrink: :headbanger:

Otherwise, I'll continue my search closer to the time when the bookings actually begin.

2019 Wishlist:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Conrad,

Try not to freak out. I'm sure if you are keeping up to date with the site you won't have any issues getting a cabin. As much as alot of us regulars are going, not everyone can or wants to spend the $$$ again, so there will be cabins.

I know last time I freaked out like a monkey who didn't get a banana for a few days/weeks. It consumed my thoughts and I was never actually "calm" until I made my first payment and got the confirmation email. :lol:

And UMC will be grouping individuals into cabins together I assume like they did last time for people who didn't have another person to book with.

:beerwink:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Count me in if you wish, I'm also a cruise virgin
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:56 pm

pablov8 wrote:

I'll keep that in mind mate. However, I don't have the money to pay for an entire cabin upfront, so rather, i'm looking for someone else who is booking a cabin and requires cabin mates to cover costs of the other beds. Or alternatively, like Kevin said, having UMC group some of us individual travellers together.

Edit: Crewman! Woohooo :party:

2019 Wishlist:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Conrad wrote:
    pablov8 wrote:

I'll keep that in mind mate. However, I don't have the money to pay for an entire cabin upfront, so rather, i'm looking for someone else who is booking a cabin and requires cabin mates to cover costs of the other beds. Or alternatively, like Kevin said, having UMC group some of us individual travellers together.

Edit: Crewman! Woohooo :party:

You can all pay for your spots separately. Nobody needs to pay for the whole cabin upfront. HAve one person call and book then each individual can call and set up payment.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:38 pm

Oooh ok, I must be confused about how the booking system worked. I always thought you couldn't book a single bed, but had to pay for all of them.

2019 Wishlist:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Conrad wrote:Oooh ok, I must be confused about how the booking system worked. I always thought you couldn't book a single bed, but had to pay for all of them.

I'm sure they will have a less confusing system this time as it was kinda elaborate the first time around (and I asked a zillion questions about it).

You book and 1 person was designated the lead passenger and worst case scenario was if they didn''t pay you were responsible for the total cost of the room. But I think they kinda changed that near the end and were grouping people together.

Again, don't freak about it as we were all the genuia pigs the first time and should be a much more concise and easier process this time.
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:32 pm

Conrad wrote:

Reason being-

this is the way the american themed cruises run. Depending on senority

Don't worry there will be cabins, not everyone who went in 2011 were well to do and used credit cards to go and probably have to play catch up.

Good thing they offer the payment plan
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:15 am

No offense AT ALL to you Conrad but I wonder how many forum regulars who were here before last year's public on sale are sitting back reading this thread and quietly chuckling to themselves. I know I am :lol:

Seriously man, I thought this thing was going to sell out in days or less and, due to a tight budget, feared that I'd be forced to buy in to an expensive cabin as all the cheap ones would be gone in the first day for sure. Talk about a whole lot of panic for nothing!! The thing never even sold out and with the free upgrades that many received near the date of departure, all kinds of cheaper cabins became available at the end.

Now, I understand that the incredible success of round 1 and word of mouth will certainly contribute to a different scenario this time, I really just think you CAN afford to relax a little and, as others have said, just keep checking here and the facebook group each day and be on the ball when public on sales begin.

You'll make it. You'll be there. Your life will never be the same :cheers: :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:30 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:You'll make it. You'll be there. Your life will never be the same :cheers: :headbanger:

70000 tons of metal 2012 new slogan!!
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Conrad wrote: I think it's kind of unfair to offer first dibs to the 2011 cruisers only, would be good for you guys, i'm sure you're not complaining, but not for those of us who missed out and have not had the cruise experience yet. It should be open to the general public, to give those who have not experienced 70,000 Tons of Metal a chance. After all, I thought it was a public metal festival, not an invite only party...

:lol: I assure you, dear sir, that there is nothing MORE fair than to offer maiden voyagers priority. What would be inconsiderate, bad for business, and unfair would be to NOT assure that maiden voyagers were given a chance to book before everyone else. The people on the 2011 cruise were those who decided to take a risk on UMC and book this crazy adventure on faith that it would be as awesome as it was. Without the 2011 cruisers there would be no 2012 cruise. For them to possibly get edged out by people who did not show support or interest the first time around is really just silly. I get where you're coming from, just had to get that in there.

I'm actually surprised you guys are so confident there will be plenty of space in 2012. I'm not arguing with you, in fact your perspective is putting my mind at ease a bit. I know 5 people who are VERY serious about coming next year, and probably 5 more that aren't as committed, but are interested. I've been kind of freaking out about how I'm going to deal with who gets to take advantage of my maiden voyager status and who's on their own for booking after we get our shot or finding someone on the forums.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:52 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:
    Conrad wrote: I think it's kind of unfair to offer first dibs to the 2011 cruisers only, would be good for you guys, i'm sure you're not complaining, but not for those of us who missed out and have not had the cruise experience yet. It should be open to the general public, to give those who have not experienced 70,000 Tons of Metal a chance. After all, I thought it was a public metal festival, not an invite only party...

:lol: I assure you, dear sir, that there is nothing MORE fair than to offer maiden voyagers priority. What would be inconsiderate, bad for business, and unfair would be to NOT assure that maiden voyagers were given a chance to book before everyone else. The people on the 2011 cruise were those who decided to take a risk on UMC and book this crazy adventure on faith that it would be as awesome as it was. Without the 2011 cruisers there would be no 2012 cruise. For them to possibly get edged out by people who did not show support or interest the first time around is really just silly. I get where you're coming from, just had to get that in there.

I'm actually surprised you guys are so confident there will be plenty of space in 2012. I'm not arguing with you, in fact your perspective is putting my mind at ease a bit. I know 5 people who are VERY serious about coming next year, and probably 5 more that aren't as committed, but are interested. I've been kind of freaking out about how I'm going to deal with who gets to take advantage of my maiden voyager status and who's on their own for booking after we get our shot or finding someone on the forums.

yeah, it's totally fair. it's called "priority" for a reason. if there's no "priority" for last year's passengers then there would be no priority at all... don't worry, even if not "priority", if you book EARLY you'll get on the boat! don't wait, it'll sell out this year.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:55 pm

No way, I think that priority booking rights should go to anyone who wasn't on 70K 2011, but complains loudly about priority being properly given to those who did.

yup, that's what I think...
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Disaster Area wrote:No way, I think that priority booking rights should go to anyone who wasn't on 70K 2011, but complains loudly about priority being properly given to those who did.

yup, that's what I think...

pfffft!!!! hahahah
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:07 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:08 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:

I disagree,I think the most fair thing is to open bookings at the same time for everyone, you can give discounts or some other kind of benefits to 2011 passengers, but I don't see the "fairness" (is that a word?) in giving booking priority to senior cruisers, and having the same people all the time, I agree with Conrad, this wasn't an exclusive invite only party.

Just my opinion
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:15 pm

well, I think priority booking and 50% discounts should be given only to those who attended 70K 2011 AND wore a kilt at some point during said journey.

Yup, that's what I think.

I bet Gnoff would agree with me.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
Locked 93 posts