Post Reply 7521 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2012 Megathread
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

Re: 70000TONS OF METAL 2012 IS SOLD OUT!

by Ecliptica » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:00 am

I have a very, very, very, very good feeling that there are more than two bands left to be announced just based on what the running order was last year. With only 40 bands, we lose 4 potential spots (assuming the shows run from 10:00 AM to 4:00ish AM again) and the most logical way to fit the three-stage schedule and not have huge gaps in between sets is to actually have 42 bands -- or give every band a longer set which I don't see happening.

I could be totally wrong but I doubt it.
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:01 am

Ecliptica wrote:the most logical way to fit the three-stage schedule and not have huge gaps in between sets is to actually have 42 bands

Yea we had 42 last year and it was perfect once they had their only delay worked out.
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 am

I'll stick to my theory that the deals aren't final for the last few bands yet, so there is nothing that can officially be announced.
    I guess we'll find out when we see the backs of the official shirts since I would imagine that they would have to be sent to print by now.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 am

Monmisreal wrote:I dont mind the running order thing. You get on the boat way before the first band so it gives you time to grab the list and head to the bar. I had a plan for last year and I totally didnt follow it :lol: :lol:

That was my thought process prior to them posting it last year when everyone was clamoring for it. But once I got it and had time to look it over, the planning did help. Once I was on the ship, there was too much going on with meeting people, etc, etc, that my head wasn't really in a place to start deciding which bands to skip on what days due to overlap, blah, blah, blah.

Sure most people will probably "flex" whatever their original schedule is. But as long as I can get it by this Friday or Saturday, that works for me.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 am

KevinP wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:I dont mind the running order thing. You get on the boat way before the first band so it gives you time to grab the list and head to the bar. I had a plan for last year and I totally didnt follow it :lol: :lol:

That was my thought process prior to them posting it last year when everyone was clamoring for it. But once I got it and had time to look it over, the planning did help. Once I was on the ship, there was too much going on with meeting people, etc, etc, that my head wasn't really in a place to start deciding which bands to skip on what days due to overlap, blah, blah, blah.

Exactly. We missed Tyr and Destruction the same night because we were the latecomers to find out how awesome Metal Karaoke is.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:08 am

I'm just hoping the stars align again and there is no tough decisions I need to make. The only conflict last year was Nevermore/Amon Amarth both played at the same time one night. Other than that it was easy for me.

This time around though there are more "must see" bands of 2 sets , even though there are less total bands I want to see in general.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 am

KevinP wrote:I'm just hoping the stars align again and there is no tough decisions I need to make. The only conflict last year was Nevermore/Amon Amarth both played at the same time one night. Other than that it was easy for me.

This time around though there are more "must see" bands of 2 sets , even though there are less total bands I want to see in general.

Ditto to both statements.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    metalWolf
    Oiler

by metalWolf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:11 am

Ecliptica wrote:I have a very, very, very, very good feeling that there are more than two bands left to be announced just based on what the running order was last year. With only 40 bands, we lose 4 potential spots (assuming the shows run from 10:00 AM to 4:00ish AM again) and the most logical way to fit the three-stage schedule and not have huge gaps in between sets is to actually have 42 bands -- or give every band a longer set which I don't see happening.

I could be totally wrong but I doubt it.

Great, so we still can hope 4 4 other bands :shred:

Monmisreal wrote:
    I dont mind the running order thing. You get on the boat way before the first band so it gives you time to grab the list and head to the bar. I had a plan for last year and I totally didnt follow it :lol: :lol:

... But I need to laminate the running order so that it will survive the jacuzzi mosh pits... :deathhorns:
    survived:2011(3091)&2012(2079)&2015(9397)&2016
    "Breakfast is the most important beer of the day"
    (Tony Kakko, pool stage 2011)

Alestorm-\-Arch.Enemy-\-Amon.Amarth.\.Amorphis-\-Children.of.Bodom-\-Dimmu.Borgir.\-Edguy-\-Hammerfall-\-Kamelot-\-Kataklysm-\-Korppiklaani-\-Nightwish-\-Orphaned.Land-\-Stratovarius-\-Tankard-\-Virgin.Steel-\-Blind.Guardian-\-Ensiferum-\-Iced.Earth-\-In.Legend-\-Moonspell-\-Sabaton-\-Soilwork-/-Axel.Rudi.Pell-/-Iced.Earth-/-Dimma-/-Ektomorf-/-Eläkeläiset-/-Fates.Warning-/-Kyuss.Lives-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Power.Quest-/-Powerwolf-/-Threshold-/-Van.Canto-/-VisionOfAtlantis-\-Volbeat-\-W.A.S.P.-\-Sodom?-\-Sonata.Arctica(but-they-MUST-play’White.Pearl’this-time!!!)
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:12 am

Yes, it's definitely nice to have time to plan things out before getting onbroad. I'm with ya Kevin that there might be some hard choices to make this year.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:13 am

Bentz! wrote:Yes, it's definitely nice to have time to plan things out before getting onbroad. I'm with ya Kevin that there might be some hard choices to make this year.

you said "hard"

WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:14 am

KevinP wrote:I'm just hoping the stars align again and there is no tough decisions I need to make. The only conflict last year was Nevermore/Amon Amarth both played at the same time one night. Other than that it was easy for me.

Yea that was the only real issue for us last year too. We just stuck with Amon Amarth, even though if I would have known Nevermore would have been dropping off the tour a few months after the cruise I would have picked them.

For me, there are only a few bands where I must see both sets. I can deal with one set for the majority of them. Less running from one stage to another this year so im good with that.
    Neck-Wrecker
    Petty Officer

by Neck-Wrecker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:10 pm

Bentz! wrote:I'll stick to my theory that the deals aren't final for the last few bands yet, so there is nothing that can officially be announced.
    I guess we'll find out when we see the backs of the official shirts since I would imagine that they would have to be sent to print by now.

This seems impossible, unless they have at least started talks with said bands and now it is just cat and mouse over the play offer. I don't know too many people, let alone bands that could scrape this together so last minute (assuming they have day jobs).

The final bands should be known, announced, and I should be researchign them if I don't already have familiarity with their work.

If the Warbringer/Symphony X rumor holds any weight, I will be very pleased.
    Wishlist: HYPOCRISY, INTESTINE BAALISM, SIGH, MANOWAR, IMMORTAL, EQUILIBRIUM, MUNICIPAL WASTE, ACCEPT, HEATHEN, HOLY GRAIL, MANEGARM, PAGAN REIGN, DISMEMBER

Josh
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Bentz! wrote:Yes, it's definitely nice to have time to plan things out before getting onbroad. I'm with ya Kevin that there might be some hard choices to make this year.

Luckily(?) I'm in the opposite situation this year. Half as many 'must see 2 sets' bands, but many more 'catch a set and be happy' bands.

Should make scheduling pretty easy for me :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021(?) 2022(??) Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    ironhorse
    Petty Officer

by ironhorse » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Hey Statsman, so much for the "Know all the bands at least 10 days prior to sailing" theory!! I was figuring you'd be fairly accurate with that guess but this is mind boggling to be kept in the dark til now.
    Revenge is a meal best served cold

BOLT THROWER FOR 2015
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:56 pm

ironhorse wrote:Hey Statsman, so much for the "Know all the bands at least 10 days prior to sailing" theory!! I was figuring you'd be fairly accurate with that guess but this is mind boggling to be kept in the dark til now.

Aaah well if I was right ALL the time, my life would be pretty boring :P

It does indeed suck - was hoping to know all bands before we leave, but as I'll be walking out the door in exactly 24 hours from now to head to the airport, the chances of that are diminishing rapidly :P :roll:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:57 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Luckily(?) I'm in the opposite situation this year. Half as many 'must see 2 sets' bands, but many more 'catch a set and be happy' bands.

Same here. Should have lots more free time to do whatever this time around.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:04 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:Luckily(?) I'm in the opposite situation this year. Half as many 'must see 2 sets' bands, but many more 'catch a set and be happy' bands.

I hear ya on that one!.....more time for beer bong, pong, LCR, headbanging contest, rock climbing contest , cabin stuffing, etc; etc;
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:14 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

I hear ya on that one!.....more time for beer bong, pong, LCR, headbanging contest, rock climbing contest , cabin stuffing, etc; etc;

It's going to be a trip for the ages :cheers:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:22 pm

rock climbing contest???? I want in on that.... anyone got details?
    SURVIVOR:
    70K1 | 70K2 | BTH | 70K3 | 70K4 | 70K5 | 70K6 | 70K7 | 70K8 | 70K9

WISH LIST: Dust Bolt | Toxic Holocaust | Lich King | Violator | Bewitcher | Haunt | Hellfire | Nuclear Assault | Xentrix | Hatchet | Power Trip | Terrifier
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:32 pm

mooyagi wrote:Same here. Should have lots more free time to do whatever this time around.

Yea same with us as well. We wont be hermits this year :lol:
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:34 pm

stoverkill wrote:rock climbing contest???? I want in on that.... anyone got details?

lmao....The Dutch and I made that up last year and it didnt really happen....but please do coordinate!! ;)
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Neck-Wrecker
    Petty Officer

by Neck-Wrecker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:37 pm

I sure hope we aren't being kept in dark over spite!

Reveal all please!
    Wishlist: HYPOCRISY, INTESTINE BAALISM, SIGH, MANOWAR, IMMORTAL, EQUILIBRIUM, MUNICIPAL WASTE, ACCEPT, HEATHEN, HOLY GRAIL, MANEGARM, PAGAN REIGN, DISMEMBER

Josh
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Neck-Wrecker wrote:
    Bentz! wrote:I'll stick to my theory that the deals aren't final for the last few bands yet, so there is nothing that can officially be announced.

This seems impossible, unless they have at least started talks with said bands and now it is just cat and mouse over the play offer. I don't know too many people, let alone bands that could scrape this together so last minute (assuming they have day jobs).

The final bands should be known, announced, and I should be researchign them if I don't already have familiarity with their work.

If the Warbringer/Symphony X rumor holds any weight, I will be very pleased.

Oh absolutely talks better have been started some time ago with whatever our final bands are going to be. But until the deal is signed by both parties and travel documents/arrangements are settled is any band actually confirmed to be onbroad.

To Andy's credit, no bands have made last minute cancellations of their appearance this year or last year due to "visa issues" that seem to arise for other festivals. I do think that Andy is taking extra care to ensure that the bands announced actually end up onbroad.
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Same goes for me.
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Yes last year I had to decide, should I go see a band that I am not a big fan of or should I see a second set of the band I really like.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself :cheers:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 pm

What happened to da announcement? :?
    SURVIVOR:

WISH LIST: Dust Bolt | Toxic Holocaust | Lich King | Violator | Bewitcher | Haunt | Hellfire | Nuclear Assault | Xentrix | Hatchet | Power Trip | Terrifier
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:01 pm

stoverkill wrote:What happened to da announcement? :?

The more you ask the longer it will be :P :P :P
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:37 pm

KevinP wrote:
    stoverkill wrote:What happened to da announcement? :?

The more you ask the longer it will be :P :P :P

Well then I'll keep doing it just to annoy you :D
    SURVIVOR:

• Mindcrime
    Petty Officer

by Mindcrime » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Disaster Area wrote:waiting to announce the running order till we're onbroad is a FANTASTIC marketing ploy. It just adds to the excitement and is in no way stupid or annoying, it's PURE MARKETING GENIUS, I mean why would anyone want to plan out their days onbroad? That would be boring an unexciting.

you guys can lick all the UMC boots you want, I still say the delayed announcements and running order is just plain stupid, regardless of the magnitude of the final announcements.

But hey, it's the Skippers gig, and can do whatever he damn well pleases right?
    Your comments are brilliant. I totally agree with you. I do hope I am pleasantly suprised with the calibur of the final announcements, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Yes, I would like to have my days planned before I set sail.
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 pm

Going to the airport in an hour and still there are bands to announce and no running order is up.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Tobbe wrote:Going to the airport in an hour and still there are bands to announce and no running order is up.

I feel you man, it's become just plain stupidity now. Anyway, safe travels!
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:26 am

Yeah we leave for the airport in 14 hours time. It would really suck if a band I love like Powerwolf or Helloween or Accept (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) get added after we've gone and I don't have stuff for 'em to sign :(

Oh well, anything could happen in the next 14 hours :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
  • Andy
    THE SKIPPER

Re: A MASSACRE On A Cruise Ship!

by Andy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:43 am

What are our scouting parties still doing out there? You guys in Germany pack up all that beer and get to the next port for embarkation! And what about the ones last heard from when they were in California? You better make your way to Florida because there will be a big MASSACRE on a cruise ship!

70000TONS OF METAL, The World's Biggest Floating Heavy Metal Festival, is now counting 39 out of 40... you will know the last one... soon!
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:46 am

Whooboy, latenight announcement! Get some sleep Andy!
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Ea-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Krypts-/-Kull-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Strigoi-/-TombofFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-DarkTranquillity-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-SymphonyX-/-Thyrfing
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:50 am

:deathmetal:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:55 am

Andy wrote:What are our scouting parties still doing out there? You guys in Germany pack up all that beer and get to the next port for embarkation!

Yes, go north to Olsztyn and pick up Vader, then quickly to the port of Gdansk.

:deathmetal: :deathmetal: :deathmetal:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:56 am

Definitely burning the old midnight oil there.

So it looks like the scouting party heading East was a red herring, and all we're left with is the boat heading toward the channel.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:12 am

Andy wrote:What are our scouting parties still doing out there? You guys in Germany pack up all that beer and get to the next port for embarkation! And what about the ones last heard from when they were in California? You better make your way to Florida because there will be a big MASSACRE on a cruise ship!

70000TONS OF METAL, The World's Biggest Floating Heavy Metal Festival, is now counting 39 out of 40... you will know the last one... soon!

SOOOOOON!!!!!!!! :lol: Excellent addition! Hopefully this is the one that makes Kevin "all wet and giggly." :roll:
    Next bands: Diamond Plate, Warbringer, Hate.
    :beerhorns:
  • dog
    Wiper

by dog » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:13 am

MASSACRE are GREEAAAAAAT!!!!!! :deathmetal:
    Metal is FOREVEEEEEEEEEEEEER
Post Reply 7521 posts