Post Reply 356 posts
What kind of beer will be on the boat?
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

Re: What kind of beer will be on the boat?

by Monmisreal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 am

gnoff wrote: 86 batches of beer, 5 of mead, so far :)
    Been doing it since 2004, usually about 5 gallon batches.
    Did make a 265 gallon batch for the local pubs once though, using a micro brewery, that was fun :D

For brewing in warmer ambient temperatures, check out this text if you haven't done so already:
    http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/a ... zym00_.pdf
    it deals with the issues of brewing outdoors in Texas.

As Tomasz wrote, we won't have too much time before we leave for the cruise, and I was thinking about trying to get together with another mate of mine so he can take me to CCB either Thursday evening Jan 20 if I'm not dead from the flight, or during Friday 21. No set plans as of yet though.
    But if we still have functional livers after the cruise that might work?

Ill definitely check out that book. Ive been fishing around forums for everything I needed so far. It was wonderful to have to google how to rig up a blowoff tube in under 5 minutes since I ran into that issue before heh.

Yea ive been doing 5 gallon batches but its a little rough since the ones ive been making none of my friends drink haha Id like to start doing 2.5gallon experiement batches since I totally biffed the Imperial Stout I wanted to try. I wanted it to be a blackberry imperial stout, but when i was bottling I ended up pouring more blackberry extract than I originally wanted to. It turned out very good for an Imperial Stout but it felt like I got prisonraped by blackberries. That was an expensive mistake.

You said you were gonna be close so I figured id shoot the invintation. Can definitely do after if youve got time. I have a feeling ill rather be drinking beer after the cruise haha
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:20 am

I got all the stuff but haven't been brave enough to try my first batch yet
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:21 am

gnoff wrote:
    @Heabymetawhunta - There are loads of articles, books and home brew forums out there if you want to read up or ask questions, most home brewers are willing to share info to get others hooked on this hobby :)
    Charlie's book that you have is a good start, also a free one if you don't know of it is:
    http://howtobrew.com/

Ehm, I might have gone a slight bit off topic now :roll:

Thank you very much! I will definitely check that out! Ill send you some of my first ( or 2nd, depending on how i feel about the first) batch :lol:
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:30 am

Monmisreal wrote:
    Ha! Yea my first batch sucked because im more of a visual learner than anything else. Didnt find any good videos until after my first batch so I found out the hard way that reading about how to do it didnt particularly help haha

Im encountering the same revelation with this book. :lol: Me and my friends are taking turns reading the book,but ill definitely give some videos a try, thanks!

Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:43 am

Heabymetawhunta wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:
    Ha! Yea my first batch sucked because im more of a visual learner than anything else. Didnt find any good videos until after my first batch so I found out the hard way that reading about how to do it didnt particularly help haha

Im encountering the same revelation with this book. :lol: Me and my friends are taking turns reading the book,but ill definitely give some videos a try, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HomebrewingVideo#p/u/23/OCqRH-fFRP8

If youre doing extract brewing, like I am, then this should come in handy. Id like to eventually move on to all grain but that wont happen until I get a bigger place.
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:28 pm

gnoff wrote:
    Heabymetawhunta wrote:Thank you very much! I will definitely check that out! Ill send you some of my first ( or 2nd, depending on how i feel about the first) batch :lol:

Yay, free beer :D

Some more fairly easy to get into links regarding home brewing and getting started:

http://stephweber.hoppress.com/2010/11/ ... g-started/
    http://stephweber.hoppress.com/2010/11/ ... gredients/
    http://stephweber.hoppress.com/2010/11/ ... -brew-day/
    http://stephweber.hoppress.com/2010/12/ ... -bottling/

thank you both very much - I will DEFINITELY get started this Sunday.
    :cheers:

tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:31 am

gnoff wrote:
    Heabymetawhunta wrote:thank you both very much - I will DEFINITELY get started this Sunday.

Excellent! :cheers:

On my way to a home brewed beer contest today, entering with my Rye stout, hopefully the crowd likes as much as I do.

Good luck with the brewing!

OK - Now I'm thirsty...good luck Gnoff!!! :cheers:
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:14 pm

gnoff wrote:
    tmcasper wrote:

Bronze medal out of 22 participants, should be ok?

Not bad at all in my opinion. That beat the heat was a pretty good read. I dont think my fermentation is that bad because of my current setup. I definitely would like to cool the wort down a little quicker though. I had a close scare with this last batch because I was testing out cooling the wort in an ice bath inside the coca-cola container I have. I left for less than a minute to get a gallon container of ice and I came back to see my covered kettle tipped completely on its side inside of the cooler. Thank the metal gods that the the pressure kept the top on the kettle or it would have been a complete waste.

Here is my current fermentation setup haha. Coca-cola container, intel solid state drive box to keep it open until I rig up something to have the airlock popping out, and random metal shirts I dont wear to keep it dark inside. Every day or so ill replace the ice water bottles or gallon jugs of ice to keep the temperature somewhat controlled.

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Monmisreal wrote:
    Here is my current fermentation setup haha. Coca-cola container, intel solid state drive box to keep it open until I rig up something to have the airlock popping out, and random metal shirts I dont wear to keep it dark inside. Every day or so ill replace the ice water bottles or gallon jugs of ice to keep the temperature somewhat controlled.

Is that a Sega Dreamcast I see? :D
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Monmisreal wrote:Image

loving that dreamcast controller too btw

Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:27 pm

lmao yea that entertainment center has some gems on it. PS3, PS2, Xbox 360 that I put into a Lian Li case to prevent overheating, Wii, and a Sega Sports Dreamcast. I had a N64 in there too but for some reason it stopped working. Usually I fix broken systems but I dont even know where the hell to start on the 64. I also have the Sega Saturn just chillin in my closet.
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Monmisreal wrote:lmao yea that entertainment center has some gems on it. PS3, PS2, Xbox 360 that I put into a Lian Li case to prevent overheating, Wii, and a Sega Sports Dreamcast. I had a N64 in there too but for some reason it stopped working. Usually I fix broken systems but I dont even know where the hell to start on the 64. I also have the Sega Saturn just chillin in my closet.

I got Dreamcast recently again. I love how there was a hacked cd you could insert and play any game regardless of region. I might just go home and play some powerstone!

Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:31 pm

Heabymetawhunta wrote:thank you both very much - I will DEFINITELY get started this Sunday.

No problem at all. Anything to prevent what happened my first batch haha. Took a few sips from my first beer and it was eh, then all of a sudden it had such a horrible spiced flavor. It was supposed to be a basic dry irish stout and somehow the damn beer ended up looking like an english ale.

Ive decided im done making Frankenbrews, the name I gave to custom recipe beers of my pick, for now. Once I get a little more experienced ill go back to the Frankenbrews haha
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:35 pm

Heabymetawhunta wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:lmao yea that entertainment center has some gems on it. PS3, PS2, Xbox 360 that I put into a Lian Li case to prevent overheating, Wii, and a Sega Sports Dreamcast. I had a N64 in there too but for some reason it stopped working. Usually I fix broken systems but I dont even know where the hell to start on the 64. I also have the Sega Saturn just chillin in my closet.

I got Dreamcast recently again. I love how there was a hacked cd you could insert and play any game regardless of region. I might just go home and play some powerstone!

Actually, piracy pretty much killed the dreamcast. There was no need for any modification at all, it reads CD-Rs. I do love that blu-rays arent region locked though. I bought a european blu-ray of a chinese movie two years before a north american release haha. All of my consoles except for the 360 are modified to play backups haha.

Theres a nifty little mod to overclock the Dreamcast but I dont feel like doing it. It would prevent lag in games like Seventh Cross Evolution and high spawn areas of Sonic but I just dont feel like rigging a fan inside of it. Microsoft actually did the same thing I did with my 360. Two years before they released their new line I electrical taped the hell out of a fan ontop of the GPU/CPU heatsink.

tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:06 pm

gnoff wrote:
    tmcasper wrote:

Bronze medal out of 22 participants, should be ok?

:givebeer:
  • sar01061969
    Petty Officer

Beer brands aboard ship

by sar01061969 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:53 am

Maybe we can suggest this to them? I just read this online!
    http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducin ... rial-stout
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Beer brands aboard ship

by STACH100 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:02 am

That looks like a great beer.
    But for me I see a problem. I love my beer but I want to see as many bands as possible
    and the more I drink the more sleep I need. With bands playing 24-7 how is a poor metalhead
    going to be able too drink all day and stay awake all night? :shock:
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:05 am

STACH100 wrote:That looks like a great beer.
    But for me I see a problem. I love my beer but I want to see as many bands as possible
    and the more I drink the more sleep I need. With bands playing 24-7 how is a poor metalhead

man I can completely relate to the above statement. :party: ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    Tomasz
    Crewman

by Tomasz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:07 am

good problem to have, I'll simply try to maintain mild buzz and not go over the board
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 am

not a problem i will be facing on broad :evil:

tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:59 am

yes...balance is key. I am almost expecting to be hungover on Tues. morn just because its after the first night and all and I prob won't be able to contain myself but after that I should be able to balance it all out....as much as i've tried to channel my inner 22 year old, it never works! :cheers:
    Amandroid
    Petty Officer

by Amandroid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 am

Disaster Area wrote:

man I can completely relate to the above statement. :party: ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

This has been a big point of discussion with us and our other friends who are going as well. It's all fun to drink and have a good time, but the hell if I'm missing a good band (or can't enjoy them to the max) because I'm too tired, hung over or otherwise out of it from booze.

I can have booze any day! Can't spend time on a heavy metal cruise every day. So the booze will just have to understand for a few days, that it's just not top priority. I mean, there's always the Testament show in Ft. Lauderdale AFTERWARDS that I can get loopy at and then go sleep through Sunday before going back to work...

But yeah, seriously do NOT want to be hung over or in any way the cause of my own misery on the cruise. :shock:
  • sar01061969
    Petty Officer

by sar01061969 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:26 pm

It wasnt about getting drunk it was being suggested because its a black metal beer made for metalheads!!!
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:28 pm

sar01061969 wrote:It wasnt about getting drunk it was being suggested because its a black metal beer made for metalheads!!!

Yeah, that would be an epic add to the bar! They would sell hundreds esp if it's decent brew!
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Vote yes if you think sub threads for already existing topics is a horrible idea
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:48 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:Vote yes if you think sub threads for already existing topics is a horrible idea

+1 :cheers:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Tomasz wrote:good problem to have, I'll simply try to maintain mild buzz and not go over the board

sound like a plan!
    +1

TOM CRUISE wrote:Vote yes if you think sub threads for already existing topics is a horrible idea

YES
    especially when there are already way to many topics like the last few days
    (...and now I'm one of thise who keep such a thread on top of the list)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Disaster Area wrote:

I am the same! I either need to keep drinking and pass the tired threshold otherwise it doesn't take me long to fall asleep. Damn alcohol being a depressant and all... :lol:
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:09 pm

A little off the topic, sorry :oops:
    But do you have this wine in the US ? It´s always sold out in Sweden and I would like to bring a few bottles back with me if they´re available over there
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 0238828662
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012
    Of all the things I´ve lost, I miss my mind the most...

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 pm

wildchild wrote:A little off the topic, sorry :oops:
    But do you have this wine in the US ? It´s always sold out in Sweden and I would like to bring a few bottles back with me if they´re available over there

This wine was a limited import last year and sold out probably before it hit the shelf as it came from Europe or Sweden specifically

http://www.motorheadwine.com
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:56 pm

Evican wrote:
    Disaster Area wrote:

I am the same! I either need to keep drinking and pass the tired threshold otherwise it doesn't take me long to fall asleep. Damn alcohol being a depressant and all... :lol:

I've found that 1 Medium D&D Coffee to every 4 alcoholic beverages keeps you on a happy buzz. :ugeek:
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:00 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:
    wildchild wrote:A little off the topic, sorry :oops:

This wine was a limited import last year and sold out probably before it hit the shelf as it came from Europe or Sweden specifically

http://www.motorheadwine.com

Yeah you can order it in Sweden or could order it a couple of months ago, but when I got around to order it, it was sold out :evil: :evil: :evil:
    What about the Whitesnake wine...limited addition as well ?
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012
    Of all the things I´ve lost, I miss my mind the most...

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
    metalWolf
    Oiler

by metalWolf » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:01 am

Faethor wrote:we need Äppelwoi form Hessen =)

ÄRRBAAAAARME !!
    survived:2011(3091)&2012(2079)&2015(9397)&2016
    "Breakfast is the most important beer of the day"
    (Tony Kakko, pool stage 2011)

Alestorm-\-Arch.Enemy-\-Amon.Amarth.\.Amorphis-\-Children.of.Bodom-\-Dimmu.Borgir.\-Edguy-\-Hammerfall-\-Kamelot-\-Kataklysm-\-Korppiklaani-\-Nightwish-\-Orphaned.Land-\-Stratovarius-\-Tankard-\-Virgin.Steel-\-Blind.Guardian-\-Ensiferum-\-Iced.Earth-\-In.Legend-\-Moonspell-\-Sabaton-\-Soilwork-/-Axel.Rudi.Pell-/-Iced.Earth-/-Dimma-/-Ektomorf-/-Eläkeläiset-/-Fates.Warning-/-Kyuss.Lives-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Power.Quest-/-Powerwolf-/-Threshold-/-Van.Canto-/-VisionOfAtlantis-\-Volbeat-\-W.A.S.P.-\-Sodom?-\-Sonata.Arctica(but-they-MUST-play’White.Pearl’this-time!!!)
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:20 am

This is my favorite German bier. I hope I can find it over there :P :

Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:47 am

Ravenlord wrote:This is my favorite German bier. I hope I can find it over there :P :

Hahah, thats funny, your favorite german beer is my favorite whisky
    :viking:
    DemonAge
    Wiper

by DemonAge » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Tyr wrote:
    Ravenlord wrote:This is my favorite German bier. I hope I can find it over there :P :

Hahah, thats funny, your favorite german beer is my favorite whisky
    :viking:

Mine too.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:30 pm

I hope they have a beer that is 6% or higher.

And this-

Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 am

Hopefully all the posts on these forums might have had an impact and they might have a better selection. RC at least know we are capable of drinking their ships dry but it's hard to tell if they might consider a better stock of alcohol since it would only be for this one occasion that they would be able to sell a larger selection of alcohol.

We can only hope.
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:55 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:I hope they have a beer that is 6% or higher.

And this-

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Not Fireball. Eee Gads, NOT FIREBALL.

I wouldn't be able to remember the cruise :cry:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 am

That is a bit of a worry for me too. More Whiskey = More Blackout :D
Post Reply 356 posts