Locked 121 posts
70,000 Tons of THRASH METAL Onbroad '12
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

Re: 70,000 Tons of THRASH METAL Onbroad '12

by Captain Metal » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:05 am

It's not like that's asking a lot from me. Give me them and a few of the others I mentioned, and I'll be happy. :headbanger:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:22 am

Captain Metal wrote:It's not like that's asking a lot from me. Give me them and a few of the others I mentioned, and I'll be happy. :headbanger:

I was under the assumption your "Stripper Hand" was quite strong. To properly "pimp" you need to blab on endlessly about it, bombard people with links, and make UMC aware of your specific request. Well that's my demented way of going about it. :lol:

But whatever way you want to wave the Artillery flag to make it happen, go right ahead :heavydrink:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    TheBigJankowski
    Petty Officer

by TheBigJankowski » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:31 am

My mistake. Ex Deo had a thrashy sound to me, that's why I mentioned them. But looking at their page, they seem to call themselves death metal. Oh well, labels are retarded anyway.
    2015: Wish List: BloodCeremony, Pallbearer, Funeral, NeObliviscaris, 11thHour, BoltThrower, MDB, SearBliss, LethianDreams, EternalTearsOfSorrow, Jaldaboath, Borknagar, Equalibrium, Insomnium, Manegarm, Scox, Lumsk, CultofLuna, Einherjer, Ex Deo, HoB
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:41 am

TheBigJankowski wrote:My mistake. Ex Deo had a thrashy sound to me, that's why I mentioned them. But looking at their page, they seem to call themselves death metal. Oh well, labels are retarded anyway.

yeah it's Canadian death metal. So you know what that means. ;) :lol: ;)
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:42 am

Captain Metal wrote:It's not like that's asking a lot from me. Give me them and a few of the others I mentioned, and I'll be happy. :headbanger:

Alot of those bands are stretching it to be on the boat - Gamma Bomb is a thrash band, but I dont know if they should make it on the boat. I'm not doubting they're ability as a band and the quality of the music, but we need to try to aim for bands that can compete with last years thrash. Same with Evile, battalion, lich king, etc etc.

Also, saw m.o.d. a few years back - I would have them onbroad, Biilly M still sounds cool as hell, but he looks like he ate his former self. We'd have to change the name to 71k TOM. :lol:
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:48 am

KevinP wrote:
    Captain Metal wrote:
    But whatever way you want to wave the Artillery flag to make it happen, go right ahead :heavydrink:

If they get booked I will make sure they get stopped at the airport :lol:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:52 am

MadameLePink wrote:
    KevinP wrote:
    Captain Metal wrote:

If they get booked I will make sure they get stopped at the airport :lol:

Is Uncle Soda the jealous type ? :lol: Jorgen ain't with them anymore, so tell him to relax. Plus, there will be plenty of other "slop" that you could listen to. ;)

Remember, a Happy Kevin is good for everyone onbroad. Artillery will make me happy. You will get vegemite as a reward and I won't shave your head and donate it to the power metal fairies (they love the color pink). :lol: :lol: :heavydrink: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:00 am

Captain Metal wrote:After seeing some not so Thrash suggestions from some of you, here's some from me (some of which have been previously mentioned here):

Overkill
    Annihilator
    Kreator
    Heathen
    Artillery
    Evile
    Battalion
    Holy Moses
    Evildead
    Speed/Kill/Hate
    Gama Bomb
    Guillotine
    Laaz Rockit
    Lich King
    M.O.D.
    Nuclear Assault
    Onslaught
    Powermad
    Sacrifice
    Thrash Or Die
    Suicidal Angels
    Tankard

And just to be clear, Mercyful Fate, Savatage, Ex Deo, Armored Saint and Gojira are not Thrash bands, and never have been. The chances of either Fate or Savatage playing are zero. King Diamond? Maybe, and that's really stretching it.

Anthrax with Bush was a clusterfuck for years, but Anthrax with Joey back, not so much. Bush was never the right guy for that band.

Flotsam And Jetsam have never broken up, so they wouldn't have the need to reform (I would like to see them play the cruise)

Those that assumed the likeliness of Dark Angel playing to be zero? You are correct. After the story that Gene told me
    several years ago, that's pretty much where it stands.

Dew Scented have existed since 1992, not 2003

Does Carnal Forge even exist anymore?

Donn,
    May I call you Captain Metal Encyclopedia from now on? :P I really like this post because it's spoken with such authority
    (and It seems you are the authority on such matters ;) ), I'm going to assume you are absolutely correct on every point even though I'm not familar with many of the bands you mentioned. Also, you used the word clusterfuck which is one of the greatest words ever imo because it is so perfect to describe certain situations. :cheers:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:06 am

KevinP wrote:
    Is Uncle Soda the jealous type ? :lol: Jorgen ain't with them anymore, so tell him to relax. Plus, there will be plenty of other "slop" that you could listen to. ;)

Remember, a Happy Kevin is good for everyone onbroad. Artillery will make me happy. You will get vegemite as a reward and I won't shave your head and donate it to the power metal fairies (they love the color pink). :lol: :lol: :heavydrink: :lol: :lol:

Nah... Jørgen is a friend of his too and Uncle Soda is only jealous of Ville Sorvali from Moonsorrow and Bobby Blitz from Overkill :lol:
    It's just that Morten and Mikael are very annoying people. It's not about the music. I'm quite happy if there are at least 20 bands that I don't like at all so I have more time for drinking and socializing :cheers:

But of course we all want to keep you happy, Kevin, and btw you can keep the vegemite :mrgreen:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:50 am

Captain Metal wrote:M.O.D.
    Anthrax with Bush was a clusterfuck for years, but Anthrax with Joey back, not so much. Bush was never the right guy for that band.

M.O.D would be cool but if Anthrax and M.O.D were on the boat might as well pull a S.O.D as well. Anthrax in general seems to always be a revolving door of direction. I preferred Bush-era but agree it is less tradition vocal style to all the other thrash bands you mentioned. Plus the bush-era produced one of my favorite songs from them "Black Lodge" which yes, isn't trash but still very well written.
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:01 pm

soundcurve wrote:
    Captain Metal wrote:M.O.D.

M.O.D would be cool but if Anthrax and M.O.D were on the boat might as well pull a S.O.D as well. Anthrax in general seems to always be a revolving door of direction. I preferred Bush-era but agree it is less tradition vocal style to all the other thrash bands you mentioned. Plus the bush-era produced one of my favorite songs from them "Black Lodge" which yes, isn't trash but still very well written.

Thats very true! MOD/ SOD can come on board, and it'll save a lot of space!

Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Milano cannot stand Scott and Charlie anymore, which has been the case for years now. Getting an S.O.D. performance to happen is about as likely as getting pigs to fly, without the use of a catapult.

As for Milano's weight, he played here about 3 years ago and he had slimmed down quite a bit. So unless someone saw him play a show in that intervening time, then I would just assume he hasn't balloned up again.

And finally, clusterfuck. That one was for Laura :beerwink:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Captain Metal wrote:Milano cannot stand Scott and Charlie anymore, which has been the case for years now. Getting an S.O.D. performance to happen is about as likely as getting pigs to fly, without the use of a catapult.

As for Milano's weight, he played here about 3 years ago and he had slimmed down quite a bit. So unless someone saw him play a show in that intervening time, then I would just assume he hasn't balloned up again.

And finally, clusterfuck. That one was for Laura :beerwink:

I have never heard about MIlano vs Scott / charlie ,whats the deal behind that??

Deathbringer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Deathbringer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:40 pm

I'd be ok with M.O.D.!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:10 pm

KevinP wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:I have to say, I'm incredibly bummed by the line up so far but, if these 3 are added I would be as happy as a pig in shit and wouldn't bat an eye if the other 37 were all playing hurdy-gurdies through their Marshalls.

Don't turn into the Canadian Sulk Machine on us ;)

And since you are a doom freak, give MDB a spin, probably your cup of tea. :beerwink:

Plz note, that post was before the Coroner announcement which I'm quite happy with.

As for MDB and my comment well, I was pretty grumpy that week lol... I've listened to a fair bit of MDB over the years and they're okay but the stuff I'd heard was just more on the goth end of the doom spectrum that what I'm into. I prefer heavy guitar and cleaner vocal doom over the kind with symphonic/keyboard or death vocal focus. I will enjoy them though and am getting more and more into them now since I'm trying to hone up in preparation for January. Just not a band that's ever grabbed me as much as many others. That being said, MDB and Grave Digger are the top of my list from the first 10 with Pestilence being close behind. Starting to like Amorphis a fair bit too.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Laura wrote:
    Captain Metal wrote:And just to be clear, Mercyful Fate, Savatage, Ex Deo, Armored Saint and Gojira are not Thrash bands, and never have been.

I really like this post because it's spoken with such authority

Not to undermine Donn's opinion as I respect and agree with it a great deal for the most part. Fact is though, even when stated with great authority, strongly held views coloured by opinion just aren't always necessarily true.
    Lots of early Savatage, MF and Armored Saint stuff was quite thrashy. Granted, much of the material was mixed with other, more melodic and varying-tempo influences and rarely fell into the realm of the more intense thrash (such as what came out of the Bay area) that was more of a close cousin to speed or death metal. But still, I find a lot of thrash elements in these bands and many others of the day that leave me hard pressed to exclude them from the sub-genre completely.

Cases in point:
    Savatage - White Witch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxzBfVDa2ps

Mercyful Fate - Descecration of Souls - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agSCzGOfAZE

Armored Saint - Stricken By Fate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y8CrA4hAYo

And lots of the Bush era Anthrax was great (to some), just quite different and not quite as classic as the efforts from previous eras.

My 2 cents anyways ;)

DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:36 pm

thrash: Exhorder, S.O.D., Demolition Hammer (they could be convinced!), and Sacrifice (they could be convinced too!)

folk: Shangren, Alestorm, Jaldaboath, Arkona, and Heidevolk
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Emperor-Haggard

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:39 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:As for MDB and my comment well, I was pretty grumpy that week lol... I've listened to a fair bit of MDB over the years and they're okay but the stuff I'd heard was just more on the goth end of the doom spectrum that what I'm into. I prefer heavy guitar and cleaner vocal doom over the kind with symphonic/keyboard or death vocal focus. I will enjoy them though and am getting more and more into them now since I'm trying to hone up in preparation for January. Just not a band that's ever grabbed me as much as many others. That being said, MDB and Grave Digger are the top of my list from the first 10 with Pestilence being close behind. Starting to like Amorphis a fair bit too.

Well the last 2 albums are almost exclusively clean vocals, so here's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWwRcRcNNYY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCLjTeH19pU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y8gqNap ... re=related (try to to "off" yourself on this one. :lol: )

And an old one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9l7wt2pQzY&feature=fvsr
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:40 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:thrash: Exhorder, S.O.D., Demolition Hammer (they could be convinced!), and Sacrifice (they could be convinced too!)

folk: Shangren, Alestorm, Jaldaboath, Arkona, and Heidevolk

Oh man, I'd be one happy thrasher if I could see Demolition Hammer!!!
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    mosquitorat
    Crewman

by mosquitorat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:56 am

Kreator, Armored Saint, and Municiple Waste would kick ass. Meshuggah has enough thrash influence to kick ass as well. And a Gwar show would make shit entertaining to say the least. Would also love to see Motorhead and Napalm Death though that will never happen. :givebeer:
    2012 Cabin: 6009
    Wishlist: Drivin and Cryin, Dido, TLC, Busta Rhymes, Garth Brooks, Sting
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:27 pm

This whole thread should just simply be....

KREATOR.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:41 pm

rhiawiz wrote:This whole thread should just simply be....

KREATOR.

If KREATOR is not onbroad, I'd consider it a huge letdown. I'm sure they have an offer to play.
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:03 pm

It's tiiiiiiiiiime.... to raaaaaaaaaise... the flag of...
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:08 pm

To the previous question concerning S.O.D., what happened was that there was lot of shit slinging from Milano after the last time S.O.D. was active. He basically accused Scott and Charlie of being back stabbing crooks, and that he would just as soon choke them to death rather than speak to them ever again. So yeah, S.O.D.? Don't hold your breath.

And while I can appreciate Rob trying to make his point with said examples, I will say that a speedy song a Thrash band does not make. I'm sure if you were to ever ask Oliva, Bush or King Diamond, that they themselves would agree that they were never part of the genre. And speaking of Bush, my thoughts on his years in Anthrax are this: I don't blame him for the bands rather directionless output. No, the blame for that falls squarely on Charlie and Scott. Those two asswipes started trying to blend in with what other bands were doing, rather then taking the sound they had established themselves with and expanding upon it. They became followers instead of leaders. Now, I still like a few songs from White Noise, but the rest of that stuff has not aged well for me. I look back at it now as having liked it more at the time and I kinda forced myself to because what other choice was there? And We've Come For You All? Man, I don't even own that album, as I really cannot stand it. After hearing that steaming loaf, I had pretty much written them off.

After the whole reunion thing with Joey had gone down, I had a glimmer of hope. Then there was the whole Dan Nelson fiasco, which thankfully went away. And now here we are with Joey again, thankfully. Now have no doubt that if this next album sucks and isn't well received, that this probably be the end of the band. But based on that song they keep pushing out there that sounds a hell of a lot like Gridlock (from Persistence Of Time), there is indeed hope, but only if the rest of the album follows along similar lines. We shall see.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Captain Metal wrote:And while I can appreciate Rob trying to make his point with said examples, I will say that a speedy song a Thrash band does not make. I'm sure if you were to ever ask Oliva, Bush or King Diamond, that they themselves would agree that they were never part of the genre.

Fair enough. You're probably right. It just touches on that whole classifying/sub-genre debate for me as there are songs by those artists that are far 'thrashier' to me than many songs by bands that are unquestionable thrash bands. So many different influences and styles combining to make so many different bands/albums/songs = LOTS of overlap. But I get your point and you ARE the captain after all :beerwink:

Captain Metal wrote:After the whole reunion thing with Joey had gone down, I had a glimmer of hope. Then there was the whole Dan Nelson fiasco, which thankfully went away. And now here we are with Joey again, thankfully. Now have no doubt that if this next album sucks and isn't well received, that this probably be the end of the band. But based on that song they keep pushing out there that sounds a hell of a lot like Gridlock (from Persistence Of Time), there is indeed hope, but only if the rest of the album follows along similar lines. We shall see.

Indeed. And, as I've said before, THIS does not leave me holding my breath for the next great classic Anthrax effort :shock:

Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Oh man, don't remind me. That whole thing is just beyond awful. I just try to look at it as Scott and Rob being involved in something more mainstream sounding just for the sake of possibly making a buck. Now whether that band ever really takes off in that regard is another story.

As long as they keep these two bands completely separate on all levels, then it'll be fine.....hopefully :?
    torpedo20
    Petty Officer

by torpedo20 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Being a thrash junkie I am loving this thread!

These have to be onbroad for '12 before we can start discussions on adding lesser known bands:

Kreator
    Annihilator
    Overkill
    Heathen
    Artillery

Ok, Lazarus AD and (if they're up for it) Vio-Lence should be strong candidates. Please, make it happen! :headbanger:
    70,000 Tons of Metal: 2011(cabin: 6031), 2012(cabin: 2551), 2013(cabin:3023), 2014(cabin:2019), 2015(cabin:6455),2016(cabin:8369), 2017(cabin:8663), 2018(cabin:9227)
    Barge to Hell: 2012 (cabin: 2563)
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Captain Metal wrote:
    Does Carnal Forge even exist anymore?

yes, but they have Peter Tuthill on vocals (i.e. the guy that fucked up Construcdead) and a demo they released last year was REALLY bad... it's sad, they used to be one of my favorites and I never got to see 'em
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Emperor-Haggard

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 pm

torpedo20 wrote:Being a thrash junkie I am loving this thread!

These have to be onbroad for '12 before we can start discussions on adding lesser known bands:

Kreator
    Annihilator
    Overkill
    Heathen
    Artillery

Ok, Lazarus AD and (if they're up for it) Vio-Lence should be strong candidates. Please, make it happen! :headbanger:

One of the absolute best things I've read all day! :headbanger:

DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:59 pm

out of the huge surge of NWOATM bands, I find Lazarus A.D. to be one of the least impressive... saw 'em a few times and was significantly unimpressed.

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 am

Yeah I listened to Lazarus A.D. yesterday for the first time. Couldn't stand the singer. The rest was awesome but I couldn't get past the singer.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:34 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:out of the huge surge of NWOATM bands, I find Lazarus A.D. to be one of the least impressive... saw 'em a few times and was significantly unimpressed.

yeah, they are not breaking any new ground at all, and aren't worthy of the cruise IMO.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:56 am

rhiawiz wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:out of the huge surge of NWOATM bands, I find Lazarus A.D. to be one of the least impressive... saw 'em a few times and was significantly unimpressed.

yeah, they are not breaking any new ground at all, and aren't worthy of the cruise IMO.

Yeah, I think their success is mostly on the shoulders of young metal kids who don't remember the days when thrash bands roamed the earth and were still doing something "new"

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:

Yeah, I think their success is mostly on the shoulders of young metal kids who don't remember the days when thrash bands roamed the earth and were still doing something "new"

Hey don't group us all together! I was 4 years old in 93, "the year that thrash metal died" and I still know the difference.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:58 am

Stained Class wrote:[quote="DrinkMoxie]

Yeah, I think their success is mostly on the shoulders of young metal kids who don't remember the days when thrash bands roamed the earth and were still doing something "new"[/quote]
    Hey don't group us all together! I was 4 years old in 93, "the year that thrash metal died" and I still know the difference.[/quote]

Well, I did say "mostly" but your protest has been considered and I grant you official exception to my statement... next case Metalheads vs. Iwabo

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:44 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:

Hey don't group us all together! I was 4 years old in 93, "the year that thrash metal died" and I still know the difference.

Well, I did say "mostly" but your protest has been considered and I grant you official exception to my statement... next case Metalheads vs. Iwabo
    My thanks to the jury
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Lazarus has really stood out for me as an enjoyable new thrash band and I was nearly out of high school when our resident yo-you man entered the world but, then again, I guess there's no accounting for taste :lol:

Seriously though, Black Rivers Flow has been on pretty regular rotation around here this year and I've noted some pretty cool influences from a variety of artists I've enjoyed over the years. I also really like the production and guitar sounds on it as well as the variety of vocal styles from song to song. The riff that kicks in at around 0:48 of the title track is one of my faves when out running :headbanger: Black Rivers Flow

MissyMisfit
    Crewman

by MissyMisfit » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:38 pm

I could care less for Lazarus AD. I find their shows boring and the fact that they always talk about getting high kinda annoys me. For "new" thrash I prefer Havok and Bonded by Blood.
    2011- Cabin #3098 2014 #8596
    2012- Cabin #3521 2015 #7200
    2013- Cabin #2599
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:59 pm

MissyMisfit wrote:I could care less for Lazarus AD. I find their shows boring and the fact that they always talk about getting high kinda annoys me. For "new" thrash I prefer Havok and Bonded by Blood.

Havok! :shred: :cheers: BBB has had some member issues lately, but they were great last time I saw them.

I put Havok, Warbringer and Evile at the top of the re-thrash heap. Evile seems to be moving away from the Bay Area clone tag.
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 pm

With all this thrashin' going on, I would certainly be remiss if I didn't plug my boys in Thrash Or Die, and their new release, POSER HOLOCAUST! :death:

For those that are unfamiliar, check them out here: http://www.facebook.com/thrashordie.fl?sk=app_2405167945

There's also this comedic promo they made for the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InSoL5JN-u8
Locked 121 posts