Locked 88 posts
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: Planes, Trains and Automobiles

by mooyagi » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:03 pm

last_candle wrote:
    Lal@ wrote:No Risk - no Stopovers. We fly nonstop Düsseldorf - Miami.

Hotel for 3 Nights prior to Departure is booked via Priceline's Name your own Price Option. 88 $ plus tax für Wyndham Garden Hotel South Beach.

the pictures looked promising, but the guest reviews were aweful!

Stayed there one night with my cabinmates. Other nights were hostels. The hotel was actually just what we needed. The beds were comfy, the room was clean and it was a good place to pass out. There was a diner for breakfast pretty much across the street. It was quiet too. Not exactly sleeping in luxury but since we were out all night anyways all we needed was some beds. Plus there was a bus stop right outside the door which was convenient for getting to the port (despite the police funeral backups).
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 am

As for hotels, we winged it last year. We ended up telling our sob story to a 5 star hotel and they directed us to a more affordable hotel that was worth the money and close to the beach. If all else fails, ask the locals.
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:46 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    last_candle wrote:
    Lal@ wrote:No Risk - no Stopovers. We fly nonstop Düsseldorf - Miami.

Hotel for 3 Nights prior to Departure is booked via Priceline's Name your own Price Option. 88 $ plus tax für Wyndham Garden Hotel South Beach.

the pictures looked promising, but the guest reviews were aweful!

Stayed there one night with my cabinmates. Other nights were hostels. The hotel was actually just what we needed. The beds were comfy, the room was clean and it was a good place to pass out. There was a diner for breakfast pretty much across the street. It was quiet too. Not exactly sleeping in luxury but since we were out all night anyways all we needed was some beds. Plus there was a bus stop right outside the door which was convenient for getting to the port (despite the police funeral backups).

thanks! doesn't sound too bad after all - saving a hundred bucks a night might be on option for us (because this years more expensive hotels weren't really that convincing anyway)
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:00 am

If some of the German speaking Pieples don't know how Priceline works: i wrote an "operating Manual". Click

If i don't use Priceline, for what reason ever - i use Hotels combined for a summary of available Rooms....
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived
    2023 - NO

www.lalasreisen.de
  • juggernaut
    Crewman

by juggernaut » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:42 am

anyone familiar with the Marseilles hotel?
    Cabin 5077
    kvanderwyk
    Crewman

by kvanderwyk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Just wanted to recommend this site to people for tracking cheap airfare between specific cities -- http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/ (there is a .co.uk version too)

You can sign up for email alerts for a particular route (i.e. "Your Hometown -> MIA") and find out as soon as a new deal comes up. DISCLAIMER -- I work for the company that produces that site. But it's really great! :D
    70K 2012 Survivor
    70K 2013 Wishlist: Allegaeon|Amon Amarth|Bolt Thrower|Dark Tranquility|Devin|Dimmu Borgir|Ensiferum|Equilibrium|Fleshgod Apocalypse|Forefather|Ghost|Gojira|Katatonia|Obscura|Revocation|Scar Symmetry|Týr|Vildhjarta|Wintersun
  • Deathbringer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Deathbringer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:33 am

kvanderwyk wrote:Just wanted to recommend this site to people for tracking cheap airfare between specific cities -- http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/ (there is a .co.uk version too)

You can sign up for email alerts for a particular route (i.e. "Your Hometown -> MIA") and find out as soon as a new deal comes up. DISCLAIMER -- I work for the company that produces that site. But it's really great! :D

:cheers: I use that site. I need to sign back up for email alerts again though. I canceled it after the last cruise.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:49 am

kvanderwyk wrote:Just wanted to recommend this site to people for tracking cheap airfare between specific cities -- http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/ (there is a .co.uk version too)

Telling me that the route from Vancouver to Orlando is no longer available :cry:

Thanks for nothing!

:lol: ;) Just kidding! - Guess it's just not a frequently flown route or they only factor in limited routes out of Canada.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    kvanderwyk
    Crewman

by kvanderwyk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:04 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:

Telling me that the route from Vancouver to Orlando is no longer available :cry:

Thanks for nothing!

:lol: ;) Just kidding! - Guess it's just not a frequently flown route or they only factor in limited routes out of Canada.

;) It just means that right now there's no deals for that route. The site is more for monitoring cheap airfare between routes that you fly frequently or that you're planning to in the future. If you subscribe to the newsletter for Vancouver -> Orlando, they'll email you when there's a good deal. It's not guaranteed that there will be one, but it's just a useful tool that I like to use as part of my travel planning arsenal. :D
    70K 2012 Survivor
    70K 2013 Wishlist: Allegaeon|Amon Amarth|Bolt Thrower|Dark Tranquility|Devin|Dimmu Borgir|Ensiferum|Equilibrium|Fleshgod Apocalypse|Forefather|Ghost|Gojira|Katatonia|Obscura|Revocation|Scar Symmetry|Týr|Vildhjarta|Wintersun
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:39 am

kvanderwyk wrote:;) It just means that right now there's no deals for that route. The site is more for monitoring cheap airfare between routes that you fly frequently or that you're planning to in the future. If you subscribe to the newsletter for Vancouver -> Orlando, they'll email you when there's a good deal. It's not guaranteed that there will be one, but it's just a useful tool that I like to use as part of my travel planning arsenal. :D

Nice!

Thanks for the clarification. I'll subscribe when I get home from work later :beerwink:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Does this work worldwide or is it only US/Canada?

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Ah, this sounds like a site I could use quite often! thanks!
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    kvanderwyk
    Crewman

by kvanderwyk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:39 am

Ravenlord wrote:

Does this work worldwide or is it only US/Canada?

Unfortunately I think the .com site is only for US/Canada departure cities. On the .co.uk site, you can subscribe to alerts for a particular destination but I don't think they have the full route emails like the .com site does. :cry:
    70K 2012 Survivor
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:48 am

Tried the .co.uk site and got:

"Hmm...we don't feature fares for that city. But guess what? We've got tons of other cities! Try another one."

Guess what? I don't live in tons of other cities!!! :lol:

Seems like a cool site though, if only it worked for me. I'll probably find a deal somewhere else...

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:13 am

Ravenlord wrote:Tried the .co.uk site and got:
    "Hmm...we don't feature fares for that city. But guess what? We've got tons of other cities! Try another one."

:mrgreen: I thought the same...
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    kvanderwyk
    Crewman

by kvanderwyk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:54 am

Ravenlord wrote:Tried the .co.uk site and got:

Seems like a cool site though, if only it worked for me. I'll probably find a deal somewhere else...

What airport do you normally use?
    70K 2012 Survivor
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Dublin airport. The other airports in Ireland don't really do many transatlantic flights plus they are more expensive.

slash1962
    Crewman

by slash1962 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:07 am

Ravenlord wrote:Dublin airport. The other airports in Ireland don't really do many transatlantic flights plus they are more expensive.

e.g. Dublin - Miami 20.01.2012 to 01.02.2012 -> 591€ with Lufthansa and United.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    2012: Deck 6 - survived
    2013: skipped because of F:M:C
    2014: Deck 3
    Wishlist 2014: Arch Enemy, Hell, RAM, Graveyard, Hardcore Superstar, Opeth, Anvil, Pentagram, Steelwing,
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:19 am

I flew Delta last year Dublin - Atlanta - Miami and got it for €485. I'm hoping for a similar price this year so I'm going to wait. Would be nice to fly direct though.

• wazo99
    Wiper

by wazo99 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:57 am

look on expedia, if you take only one night at an hotel and a flight you have great rebates, i found something decent arount 600$
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:08 am

I have to admit i do love flying with Lufthansa even though they can be quite expensive.
    They have this nice concept that none of the other flight companies in Europe seem to have heard of .
    It's called leg space.

I dread to think of the day when Ryan Air will start running flights to America in their lego airoplanes.
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:21 am

Metalwrath wrote:I dread to think of the day when Ryan Air will start running flights to America in their lego airoplanes.

Hopefully that will never happen. The same goes for Easy jet! Even if I am so short that I always have space for my legs :lol:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Metalwrath wrote:I have to admit i do love flying with Lufthansa even though they can be quite expensive.
    They have this nice concept that none of the other flight companies in Europe seem to have heard of .
    It's called leg space.

I dread to think of the day when Ryan Air will start running flights to America in their lego airoplanes.

I thought Ryanair already was supposed to be doing a Boston to London route already. Guess something fell through.

Has anyone tried Virgin Atlantic? I love, love, love Virgin America and I would expect it to be a similar experience or better on transatlantic flights as opposed to domestic. Plenty of leg room (certainly a rarity these days) and a nice entertainment system with free satellite TV, though the movies are PPV.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:18 pm

How expensive is Virgin America compared to the other airlines?
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:25 pm

KDibildox wrote:How expensive is Virgin America compared to the other airlines?

Always been among the cheapest rates for me.

Edit: They have a limited amount of airports they go to but LA to Ft. Lauderdale was nice and cheap
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Hm.... they sound pretty good, I'll have to check them out, thanks!
    slash1962
    Crewman

by slash1962 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:00 am

Metalwrath wrote:I have to admit i do love flying with Lufthansa even though they can be quite expensive.
    It's called leg space.

I agree. Furhermore it is possible to make a flight reservation. In this case until beginning of December. No need to pay the flights yet and also possible to change the departure/arrival dates. Cool.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Wishlist 2014: Arch Enemy, Hell, RAM, Graveyard, Hardcore Superstar, Opeth, Anvil, Pentagram, Steelwing,
    Oli
    Crewman

by Oli » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:28 am

For cheap flights I would recomend .....http://en.momondo.com/Default.aspx?aw=e ... 4QodPALEMQ

And for Hotels......... www.hotels.com

:viking:
    THE FATE OF NORNS AWAITS US ALL!!!!

Immortal..WASP..Lamb of god..Cannibal Corpse..Rob Zombie..Kreator..Arch Enemy..Cavalera conspiracy..All shall perish for 70000 tons 2012
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:02 am

Yay! Just booked & paid for my flights rt Chicago-Miami for the cruise. I had to do it by tomorrow because I needed to use up what was left of a United travel credit I got last year for volunteering to be bumped off an overbooked flight to San Juan. The rub is, it was still high imo - I've been flying to FL for years and have gotten fares as low as $150 rt. For the cruise dates (going a day early and leaving the day after), UAL nonstops are running around $420! So, with my UAL credit of $150, paid about $270 - I shudder to think about those huge fares from Australia to Miami! :shock:

Still need to book the Miami hotel - wanting to go the ultra cheap route this time since I was barely there last year with staying so late at Donn's awesome preparty and all!!! :cool: Hey Capn' Metal - hows those party plans comin' along? :heavydrink:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    mcozzy
    Oiler

by mcozzy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Have to book the airplane tickets from New York to Miami after the last payment is made toward the cruise. Last year we stayed at Miami Biscayne Bay the night before and the night the ship returned. Hotel was nice but a little far compared to others near the port. We must have paid 200 bucks in cab fare the 2 nights we stayed in MIami (not to mention we ended up at the wrong burger and beer joint the night of the pre-party but eventually ended up at the Transit Lounge). This year have booked at the Holiday Inn the night before the cruise to be closer to the port and more within walking distance to locations downtown. We will be staying at the Biscayne Bay when we return. Awesome hotel with a sushi bar and steak house among the upstairs shops...
    Survived 2011. Ready for 2012!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Seems crazy to me that people are booking so early. Wait for the winter deals, folks
    mcozzy
    Oiler

by mcozzy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:17 pm

mooyagi wrote:Seems crazy to me that people are booking so early. Wait for the winter deals, folks

I used my AAA discount for the hotels...No worries. And the airline prices get higher as the date approaches...Anyway, when it comes to vacations I am definitely a planner!
    Survived 2011. Ready for 2012!!
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:35 pm

mcozzy wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Seems crazy to me that people are booking so early. Wait for the winter deals, folks

I used my AAA discount for the hotels...No worries. And the airline prices get higher as the date approaches...Anyway, when it comes to vacations I am definitely a planner!

Yes...this is a good thing and it allows me more time for...well...drinking beers :headbanger:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
  • juggernaut
    Crewman

by juggernaut » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:57 pm

Probably be staying at the Marseilles hotel or the holiday inn before and after the cruise.
    Cabin 5077
    slash1962
    Crewman

by slash1962 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:39 pm

Not in Germany. The ealier, the better. Save money that I can spend for beer on the cruise :givebeer:
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:43 pm

It's definitely "the earlier the better" here.
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:51 pm

I disagree. I found that flights were more expensive 6 months before than 3 months before which was when we booked them. I plan to wait again.

shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:02 pm

4 to 6 weeks in advance appears to be the sweet spot if you're looking for deals

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/21/137305347 ... -the-deals
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:07 pm

shaneos wrote:4 to 6 weeks in advance appears to be the sweet spot if you're looking for deals

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/21/137305347 ... -the-deals

Yeah, I've flown quite a bit and I never book more than 2 months in advance
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 pm

I think I booked my flight about 3 weeks in advance and got a pretty good deal, me thinks
  • Locked 88 posts