Post Reply 596 posts
barge to hell!
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: barge to hell!

by mooyagi » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Ktulured55 wrote:Sucks for you Ryan and Marlo because ultimately you would probably rather go on the regular 70k cruise while Marlo would rather go on Barge To Hell .... just guessing.. :roll:

We are really getting fucked over.

Depends on what they announce. Fact of the matter is that there are other vacations I want to take around the world so I can't make every trip a metal cruise (unfortunately). We will still both be on 70000 Tons 2012. If they keep variety on 70K I think we would probably still both do that in the following years. I'm waiting to see what they announce on Monday. It's tough to make a true assessment without any information.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Ravenlord wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote:Actually i heard the 3rd cruise is a folk cruise.
    All bands playing must use a herdy gerdy and all male cruise entandence are required to wear a Kilt.
    They wil only serve beer and ale from drinking horns and the cruise ship is a viking longboat.

:lol: I'd totally go on that :viking: Only thing is where to find the time between bands to rape and pillage...

I found time on the last cruise :D

The only think you pillaged on the cruise was the last of the Fosters beers.
    Bastard :evil:
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm proud of that :D

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Captain Metal likely has the right of it; when I saw the blabbermouth announcement, my first thought was "wow, that's a short cruise, 3 days max". I've been to the Bahamas out of Cape Canaveral (Orlando basically, for those of you not familiar with FL), and THAT was a 3 day cruise, so there's no way this would be longer sailing out of Miami. I for one could care less about this new cruise; I like some thrash, but I'm extremely picky about my death metal and only like the black when it's been thrashed or folked :D However, I do like variety, and for that reason 70K will always trump. Also, the Bahamas kind of suck :P

:lol: :lol: at Peter and Paul, can't wait to share the cabin across from y'all :cheers:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:47 pm

I really think the Hell Barge will just be a shorter trip that will cater nicely to those who are only into the more extreme forms of metal. I personally wish they weren't lumping thrash in there as well but all I can do is hope that none of my big fave thrash bands get added as I can't currently afford a 2nd trip per year. My biggest bitch about this is that we hardly know much about the January lineup yet and the deadline for deciding is fast approaching. Hopefully Monday will come with lots more info about both sailings so that the entire floating metal customer base can make informed decisions and not have to simply wait with crossed fingers.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Oh, and I fucking LOVE the Hell Barge graphic. They're gonna have cool merch :headbanger:

Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Daenerys wrote:Captain Metal likely has the right of it; when I saw the blabbermouth announcement, my first thought was "wow, that's a short cruise, 3 days max". I've been to the Bahamas out of Cape Canaveral (Orlando basically, for those of you not familiar with FL), and THAT was a 3 day cruise, so there's no way this would be longer sailing out of Miami. I for one could care less about this new cruise; I like some thrash, but I'm extremely picky about my death metal and only like the black when it's been thrashed or folked :D However, I do like variety, and for that reason 70K will always trump. Also, the Bahamas kind of suck :P

:lol: :lol: at Peter and Paul, can't wait to share the cabin across from y'all :cheers:

:lol: Don't worry, I probably still won't find your cabin, even with that info the map I made. :cheers:

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Grrrrrr
    Last edited by cycosurgeon on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Captain Metal wrote:I feel I need to interject here. Based on the destination, I highly doubt that THIS cruise will be anywhere near the same duration as 70000 Tons Of Metal. Typically a cruise from Miami to Nassau is only a day cruise. At most, the boat may come back the next day. I picture this as being something more along the same lines as the Sweden Rock cruise, just with more bands most likely.

This is my leading theory, but we'll all know more on Monday.

Wise deduction Sherlock! I bet you are dead on. Two day cruise at max.

I don't think the 70,000 will change much, if anything the Barge takes some stress off me, because it gives me hope that 70,000 tons wasn't going to go too extreme. To me Nightwish and Dark Funeral are both different ends of the 'extreme' when it comes to metal I like.

And i agree 'SausageFest to hell' should be the name of the other cruise.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
  • Thrasher
    Wiper

by Thrasher » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:54 pm

I like thrashmetal but i am not into Deathmetal. So what cruise do i have to take? :-)
    Maybe a cruise in the mediterranean for us europeans might be a better idea :-). So we don't have to fly over the ocean every time.
    Last edited by Thrasher on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:01 pm

OK, despite the loop I was thrown into over this Barge to Hell thing I've managed to keep a pretty level head and ability to consider all sides but NOW I'm pissed. :evil: :evil: :evil: I had a whole post written out that I thought was pretty good, with considerations I wanted to share and discuss with y'all. I'm doing a bunch of things at once, though, and my session must have timed out. I forgot to copy my post before hitting "submit" like I THOUGHT about doing mere minutes ago, and I lost the whole freakin' thing. I blame the Barge to Hell.
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:35 pm

A ship that enters directly into the Bermudas Triangle???

no, thank you :| :|
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:03 pm

The page has modified now, and you can register your interest.

I certainly won't be. If there are 40 bands for this one, I really doubt that there would be any more than 5 that would interest me.

But to all those that are into this kind of music, enjoy!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    666ROY
    Oiler

by 666ROY » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:48 pm

I hope we are not taken away the bands we are expecting...we need a balance for our January cruise, I dont know but I feel that some of our extreme forumites might think on switching to this one...
    The Chase Is Better Than The Catch...

2011 - 2545
    2012 - 2037
    MHB 2455
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:51 pm

EvilDan wrote:and with the complete lack of bands that I am interested in for January, I would not have booked.

Somewhat agree in that aside from My Dying Bride and Samael if they announce a line of black metal / death bands for this that I love I will try switching over. This is a pretty dick thing to do imo. It is getting over ambitious without performing repeat success on another 70k. Like some others state in this thread, I hope they don't spread the bands I want to see for mediocrity across the board. That would be a nasty cash grab. Plus I like the diversity. When power metal folks favorite bands are playing it gives me time to sleep, eat, and spend what money is left at the craps table before going to the next band I want to see and vice versa I assume for power metal folk. ;)
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Just a couple thoughts for all those concerned and upset to consider that might help:

1 - Although I know that the fact that this is being put on by UMC makes people 'feel' differently, try to look at it this way. IF BTH was being put on by another company, it would in no way affect the lineup for January's 70K trip as a large majority of the bands available to perform in the fall likely wouldn't be available in January due to different touring schedule/recording schedule/health/band status and other factors. Not to mention that we've all been pretty certain for some time now that most, if not all, of the bands for our trip are already booked and locked in for the most part.

2 - Businesses only succeed by providing a product where there's a demand for it. After the 2011 sailing, most of you were heralding our Skipper Andy as some kind of genius for pulling off something that none of us imagined and many said was the greatest time of their lives. From all reports (and common sense), we've heard that Andy wants this thing to continue for decades to come. Would he really risk alienating his primary customer base by shorting us all on talent on the 2012 cruise in favour of his little extreme metal sideshow barge thing? I think not

3 - Yes, from our perspective, the timing sucks. Big Time! We've been waiting for a long time now with no announcements to get stoked over and had our hopes set on something coming post-Wacken and then we get hit with this! NOT what we were expecting at all. But, think of it from UMC's perspective. When did they announce 70K 2011? I think it was right around the time of Wacken 2010 right? And that, along with their other marketing strategies, got a lot of Europeans out for the first sailing. So they probably planned for some time to follow that same model for launching the new extreme metal sidetrip. Yes, it explains why they've been less than attentive to our moaning lately but it is their perrorgative (sp?) to market and manage their different ventures as they see fit. We all know they try to run things on a pretty thin skeleton crew over there so the lead up to launching the barge was probably taking up most of their resources. Sucks for us but, so long as they don't forget about us completely or do something really sleazy like not announce any more bands until mid-October, chances are we'll all be fairly happy with our final 40+ bands and have just as much of a blast next January as we did this past one.

Not really related to my above attempt to rationalize but I'd feel guilty of lying by omission if I didn't mention that I've actually been thinking for some time now of cancelling my booking for January just cuz so few of the bands are up my alley but I haven't mentioned that here simply cuz it's not like I expect them to change to satisfy my wants lol. Just that it may be that I'm not meant to go on the 2012 trip as my tastes in metal are so limited.

Anyways, I hope it works out for all and I do understand that, for some, this could really suck cuz the new product may better suit their tastes and they may already have booked expensive plane trips and hotel rooms. I guess my long-winded point is just that doing so was a choice made when there was no knowledge of this other product. Maybe Andy and Co would have liked to have announced both at the same time months ago but the details for this new one weren't locked down yet. Who knows? In a perfect world we'd all be unicorns (or eat unicorn steak every night) :P

cyx
    Oiler

by cyx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:01 pm

bitching to the void, because this announcement just made my shit weekend worse. dick move on umc's part, for sure. horrible timing. highly curious as to what "information" will be announced later today on this thing.

i've been doing some serious finger-crossing over the last few months for more extreme metal on our boat in 2012, as my metal appetite is around 80% black/death. and now this? we've already got rooms, reservations, and extended vacation plans for january, some of which involve guests from out of the country. what the hell am i supposed to do if barge gets blessed with a dream lineup?!! :evil:

/rant :(
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:03 pm

cyx wrote:bitching to the void, because this announcement just made my shit weekend worse. dick move on umc's part, for sure. horrible timing. highly curious as to what "information" will be announced later today on this thing.

i've been doing some serious finger-crossing over the last few months for more extreme metal on our boat in 2012, as my metal appetite is around 80% black/death. and now this? we've already got rooms, reservations, and extended vacation plans for january, some of which involve guests from out of the country. what the hell am i supposed to do if barge gets blessed with a dream lineup?!! :evil:

/rant :(

well, Barge will be like 10 months later...
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CemeterySkyline-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-Souldrainer-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-Stortregn-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    cyx
    Oiler

by cyx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:07 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:well, Barge will be like 10 months later...

yeah, and that would pretty much annihilate my vacation time for the year. :evil:
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:15 pm

cyx wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:well, Barge will be like 10 months later...

yeah, and that would pretty much annihilate my vacation time for the year. :evil:

perhaps the Barge will be a weekend cruise... many dark clouds have a silver lining, just don't carry a lightning rod while looking for it
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CemeterySkyline-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-Souldrainer-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-Stortregn-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:58 am

Rob, to comment on your points:

1 - Agree with most of it. I actually think that the lineup is not set for 70K 2012 though. I believe that they have a bunch of bands that they are trying to narrow down to 40. Wouldn't be surprised if they are deciding which bands they have to say no to for this year.

2 - I would certainly hope that he doesn't want to alienate the customer base. Hopefully he can make us happy by opening up the merch store on Monday :lol:

3 - I had 70K 2011 booked in April of 2010 (I think) so it was announced way before Wacken 2010. The timing of the barge does suck indeed. We will have to wait until Monday to see what kind of information we get. Everyone that was on a payment plan just finished paying off the 70K cruise and now there's little time until the dropout deadline passes. It won't be as bad as long as we have enough information for both cruises come October. The big thing, though, is that booking supposedly starts Monday for the barge, and I really hope that they make a big announcement with a ton of bands for it so if people want to book early they can.

I am aware of your thinking of cancelling the cruise. That would really such though I totally understand your reasoning from our chats that we've had. Would hate to lose you but in the end you gotta think that the cruise is worth the money. Hopefully there's some stuff on there for you to stay on broad by October.

Your final paragraph is a big sticking point I'm sure for a lot of people. Many people have already booked hotels and flights for the 70K cruise, and if this barge trip is more to their liking band wise, they may not be able to easily change vacation plans.

It does really suck, this whole thing, though I've softened a bit on it over the course of the day even though I still don't like how it's been handled by UMC. I hope people give it a few weeks to see what develops before making knee-jerk reactions and cancelling the 70K cruise until more information comes out. I hope I can still see you all on broad as I would hate for the forum family to break up (would the barge have its own forum?). :cry:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:49 am

Well, the date in fall makes it a bad choice for me (and most Europeans, I assume) it being right after festival season. And I prefer to travel in January or February as those are the coldest months and a getaway from the cold is needed.

Of course, if 70k 2013 would turn into a unicorn or hurdy gurdy fest, I'd much rather look at the BtH cruise. But if the sales are starting now, you can't really choose between the two (as 70k 2013 will start sales around April next year). And that is what I don't like about this.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:10 am

While I'm not going to make an rash decisions, if I do end up switching boats, then I may very well still come out to Miami for the 70K pre-party, just so I can meet some of y'all that won't be on the Barge. Seems like a reasonable compromise if I can't do both.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    Egokrusher
    Petty Officer

by Egokrusher » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:32 am

Unless some major announcements are made before the deadline to cancel the 70k purchase (think Emperor reunion, Ulver playing the first 3 albums, Darkthrone playing their first show in 20 some odd years), I have no reason to want a different boat. Still, that's shitty business right there. Way to piss off a good portion of customers that have already paid thousands and invested time as well as make potential customers second guess their 70k booking.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the line up for Barge To Hell might contain a few great bands, but I expect it to cater to the Red Chord and Suicide Silence market more so than quality extreme metal.
    "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist." - Epicurus

Cabin: 5571!
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:46 am

I feel that 70000 tons has lost it's exclusivity. With two cruises missing the boat one year doesn't seem like such a big deal (which I suppose is good for my wallet).

I feel that this announcement was really poor timing on UMC's part. Had they announced another band or two that everyone was really excited about it would have detracted from our BTH rage. The next few announcements had better be mind blowing...
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:19 am

I can't think of a single venue that only has 1 show per year... what makes this logic not cross over? Being 10 ish months apart I feel it'll have ZERO effect on 70k 2012, and maybe a very minor effect on 70k 2013... but it'll probably cater nicely to some bands and some fans.... there's more than enough room in the sea for 2 ships!

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:11 am

I just thought of something and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the fall season high time for hurricanes in Florida? That could put a damper on the scheduling of the Barge
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:33 am

mooyagi wrote:I just thought of something and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the fall season high time for hurricanes in Florida? That could put a damper on the scheduling of the Barge

Hurricane season runs from mid June through mid October... Early June and Early October are considered cusp periods... you can find amazing deals then because people still fear the weather, but during those periods the weather is typically not as bad...

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:34 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I just thought of something and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the fall season high time for hurricanes in Florida? That could put a damper on the scheduling of the Barge

Hurricane season runs from mid June through mid October... Early June and Early October are considered cusp periods... you can find amazing deals then because people still fear the weather, but during those periods the weather is typically not as bad...

Ah. Still a risk but I guess a small one then.
  • Rayzor
    Petty Officer

by Rayzor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:52 am

Not much to add here. I would like to see the diversity remain on the 70k cruise, I like some Black and Melodic Death bands, and plenty of classic thrash bands, not so much the extreme Death, Grind or any kind of Core bands so if that's what lands on the BTH it's a non-issue for me. I will say that UMC could have avoided a lot of this backlash by posting more and earlier information. I was hoping that was something they would have improved from the first cruise (and a working merch store), it may be a fun game to drag out band announcements but if people are choosing between cruises more info is needed up front.
    kramww
    Oiler

by kramww » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:06 am

At least it will give them something to promote immediately to the 70k Tons cruisers in 2012. I predict that it will be a fall version on a smaller scale; A long-weekend cruise on possibly a different ship. Still something to look forward to, but discouraging due to the lack of band announcements on the cruise that we all already booked.

Anyway, I'm sure all the pieces will fall into place shortly. :roll:
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:11 am

I also have mixed thoughts about this - but Captain Metal's comment definitely made sense
    ...and now I hope he's right
    (just came back from Wacken - need sleep NOW)
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:28 am

Maybe they have so many bands interested in playing a cruise, they created a second one. I bet we'll hear more about the lineup soon.
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:06 pm

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Am I the only one who's happy about this???? And has anyone considered the Barge To Hell to possibly be 70,000 Tons of Metal Part 3? There may not be another 70,000 Tons cruise in January 2013, they maybe just changing the name of it, keep that in mind. Some of us have demanded the thrash/death/black metal, now they're giving it to us and people are outraged?!?!?! I firmly believe the only reason people are pissed is because there are no band announcements lately... well here's your latest announcement. Love it or ignore it, just like Hammerfall.

MORE CRUISES = MORE BETTER!
    :cheers:

I hear you, but speaking for the Thrash/death metal "demanders", those we'll go (supposedly, we don't know yet) to the other ship, and I have already booked flight and paid whole cabin for this one, it would be a real bummer to see Kreator, Vader, Morbid Angel go to Barge and getting a cover band of Morbid Angel playing Radikult in 70K. Given the fact that, in my case, I can't afford both trips.
    I'm sure I'll have a blast in the cruise though, and I won't complain until further announcements are made and we understand a little more about this move from UMC.

:headbanger:
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:20 pm

The only issue I see for us "extreme lovers" is that 70K in January and then Barge later in the year, it's almost the same length of time between cruises (assuming it's Oct/Nov), that's 9-10 months. Not a big difference between that and waiting for January (12 months). BUT, that would more than likely rule me out for 70K 2013 as that would be too close together (2-3 months).

So yeah the timing may be a tad off, but it only throws people a monkey wrench NOW, not in subsequent years.

Might as well get the pain and misery over with now as opposed to later :lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Digimortal
    Chief Petty Officer

by Digimortal » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:48 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:so... when is the 3rd cruise? Their/power/prog/symphonic specialty cruise... Sailing Over The Rainbow or something... hmmm :lol: :lol: :lol:

I already spoke to Sam about this, what about a folk/medieval cruise with swordfights, maed and tournaments :P
    Survivor of:
    2011: Cabin 6526
    2012: Cabin 4051
    2013: Cabin 2525
    2014: Cabin 3015
    2015: Cabin 8687
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Digimortal wrote:I already spoke to Sam about this, what about a folk/medieval cruise with swordfights, maed and tournaments :P

Talk about a sausage fest. Besides the music, I have no need to see guys waving their cocks at each other :P :mrgreen: :P
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:46 pm

KevinP wrote:
    Digimortal wrote:I already spoke to Sam about this, what about a folk/medieval cruise with swordfights, maed and tournaments :P

Talk about a sausage fest. Besides the music, I have no need to see guys waving their cocks at each other :P :mrgreen: :P

Lots of chicks are into folk/medieval metal :roll: Folk cruise would be so much fun :viking:
  • Keuf
    Petty Officer

by Keuf » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Sinister Realm wrote:I don't know what to think about this either, I'm not a big Death/Black metal fan so in some ways I thought it would be good to have a seperate cruise that focuses more on that style but I am a big Thrash fan so I'm going to be pissed if a bunch of really cool thrash bands land up on the barge and not on 70,000

Even though it's still kinda' early in the whole process I am getting a bit nervous as the so far announced 70,000 lineup isn't really blowing me away or anything. I just have this feeling that nothing is going to live up to the killer line up on last year's cruise.

I have exactly the same feeling...and I am very nervous about this new Cruise since my plane tickets from France have been already booked and paid... Even though I could cancell the 70k Cruise, I couldn't cancell my flight tickets !!!
    I am stll hoping for Thrash bands on board !!!
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:56 pm

My final opinion before tomorrow's announcement is that I doubt the new cruise lineup will affect the 70k lineup at all. I think it is UMC trying to capitalise on the amount of fans of heavier stuff. I think this will not completely strip 70K of all thrash, Black and Death metal but instead just give people a choice to go on a cruise that is dedicated to those genres. My guess is that 70K will be as diverse as last year. Everything so far has just been speculation and I think that Andy is smart enough not to completely screw over his entire current customer base.

Post Reply 596 posts