Locked 110 posts
So what if 70k doesnt have 40 bands on the boat?
    onenight
    Midshipman

Re: So what if 70k doesnt have 40 bands on the boat?

by onenight » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:13 pm

WizardBeast wrote:i would love 30 bands...more time for socializing and less 11am/4am band slots.

I agree, there are so many bands I want to see already. I won't have time for any more
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:14 pm

onenight wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:i would love 30 bands...more time for socializing and less 11am/4am band slots.

I agree, there are so many bands I want to see already. I won't have time for any more

same here. they can stop adding for all i care!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 pm

onenight wrote:

ok, we'll start a "Drop 5 bands from the lineup or we are all cancelling" thread!

boy things get kooky around here w/o an announcement.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:17 pm

hahah i'm not threatening to cancel, just saying they could have stopped at 30.
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:29 pm

By if they stopped at 30, then that would mean no Annihilator or Orphaned Land.
    That would make me sad.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Bentz! wrote:By if they stopped at 30, then that would mean no Annihilator or Orphaned Land.
    That would make me sad.

well, 30 totalwith fewer "filler" bands would be perfect. I have the feeling we discussed this same thing about 14 months ago...
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Disaster Area wrote:
    Bentz! wrote:By if they stopped at 30, then that would mean no Annihilator or Orphaned Land.
    That would make me sad.

well, 30 totalwith fewer "filler" bands would be perfect. I have the feeling we discussed this same thing about 14 months ago...

Yes, I totally agree that fewer bands (and less filler) would make for a more enjoyable/relaxing time. However since they've advertised this thing as having 40 bands, anything less than this and someone would demand some sort of refund. This could lead to some legal issues for UMC.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Bentz! wrote:
    Disaster Area wrote:
    That would make me sad.

Yes, I totally agree that fewer bands (and less filler) would make for a more enjoyable/relaxing time. However since they've advertised this thing as having 40 bands, anything less than this and someone would demand some sort of refund. This could lead to some legal issues for UMC.

There's a lot of bands i have no intention of watching so it works out well for me :heavydrink:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:54 pm

That would make me sad.

less fillers, more better bands of COURSE. if they had set out to only do 30, we would have still had the bands you mentioned.
    Neck-Wrecker
    Petty Officer

by Neck-Wrecker » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:12 pm

WizardBeast wrote:HAHA! :smoking: :smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

Does anybody need a towel?

I always...pack a towel :)

Hoping to find some "towels" on grand cayman when we dock....
    Wishlist: HYPOCRISY, INTESTINE BAALISM, SIGH, MANOWAR, IMMORTAL, EQUILIBRIUM, MUNICIPAL WASTE, ACCEPT, HEATHEN, HOLY GRAIL, MANEGARM, PAGAN REIGN, DISMEMBER

Josh
  • Mindcrime
    Petty Officer

by Mindcrime » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:18 pm

metal_steve wrote:Out of this whole experience I have discovered the word I dislike most.....

SOON
    HERE HERE!!!! :bitch:
  • Mindcrime
    Petty Officer

by Mindcrime » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:22 pm

EvilDan wrote:It's interesting how inevitably every couple of days someone has a new panic. I thought we'd been through the worst of it with the month+ of no announcements, but thought it would abate with the string of announcements. But go less than a week without an announcement, and people start panicking again. :roll:
    Relapsing! :headbanger:
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Neck-Wrecker wrote:I always...pack a towel :)

Hoping to find some "towels" on grand cayman when we dock....

onenight wrote: Man, you need to smoke some weed. You worry to much... :smoking: :D

Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:37 pm

exactly

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • longhairedaaron
    Oiler

by longhairedaaron » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Ok, I love the cruise as much as the next guy. I had the time of my life last year. Besides a few gripes (such as the merch which was stupidly run) I thought it was insanely awesome. I'm going this year.

But I swear UMC could announce 1 band before the cruise, charge you double, install no toilet paper in the bathrooms, and at least half of you would kiss their ass and tell them how great they were and come up with excuses for them.

Lets face it, the fact that the cruise is two weeks away and we are without 5 bands is UNACCEPTABLE (well the cancellation I get, wow they gave us information).

The fact that they have taken so long to announce most of the bands is UNACCEPTABLE.

And *most importantly* the general lack of updates, communication personal attention, care, and information given to us by UMC is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE, disrespectful, and insulting!!!!

I get that the cruise is awesome. And I hate to bitch. But for gods sake people, have a back bone. We are being treated like shit, and while I'm not saying lets clan together for a class action lawsuit, lets at least let UMC know that their actions affect us, that we don't appreciate it, and that it will and should HAVE to change for us to continue supporting them to the level they currently enjoy.

Aaron
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:26 pm

I hear you mate, and I agree 100%. I get the whole 'massive task to undertake, could never do it myself, blah blah blah'. But the fact is that UMC *ARE* doing it, and that means that they have an obligation to fulfil.

They advertised a festival with "40 heavy metal bands". Not 35, not 30 (or not 42 for that matter :P). Now, I'm sure they have a clause in the ticket contract to cover their ass if they cannot provide that, because there could be unavoidable circumstances where a band cancels at literally the last minute. But yeah, if they came out and said "shit sorry guys - only got 35 bands this year". Man, the bad press fallout would be something they could never recover from. And I would be super pissed as I still want/neeeeed one wishlist band to make the lineup 'complete' for me.

I think shit of some kind has gone down behind the scenes that we will probably never know about - the massive gap of almost 2 months between announcements from Oct to Dec was a bad sign, the fact that we are 2 weeks out and only have 35 bands, the fact we don't have our etickets yet, the fact that there are STILL no more details about Barge to Hell, etc.

Yes, the cancellation was unavoidable - but we all knew about it via rumour almost a month before UMC told us. Not good :P

On this date last year we had our etickets already, and they were delayed (to paraphrase andy) due to "the holidays and the upgrades". Well, there were no upgrade rewards this time around, so what's the excuse this year? Oh and we actually knew the 40th band on the lineup by now, because it was on this day last year that CIIC said on their Facebook that they were onbroad.

To close aaron, you are absolutely right. I'm pretty pissed - the lineup for me is not a patch on last year's, and overall the lack of comms from UMC has been even worse than for 2011. I know people that have specifically cancelled due to those facts.

Will I have an awesome time? HELLS YES!!!! But will I be back next year? Nope, not unless I win the lottery.

Sorry for rambling on - just starting to get excited because even after saying all of the above, I cannot wait to finally see Kamelot, looking forward to seeing Stratovarius, Eluvietie, Hammerfall, Nightwish, Alestorm, My Dying Bride, Riot, Therion and Tristania, and I cannot wait to party with all the awesome forumites !! :bangers:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    ejd715
    Petty Officer

by ejd715 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:04 pm

christ, looks like i pissed some people off....

Im just saying i know that last year they added like 3 bands the week before the cruise. One of them was Arsis and i was totally glad they were on board. I just hope these last 5 are blockbusters!!!!
    2011-#3500 (barely survived!)
    2012-#4025 (piece of cake!)
    BOH HERE WE COME!!!!

Aeon The Crown Ex Deo Flotsam & Jetsam Harm Helstar Heathen King Diamond Kreator Old Man's Child Pain Solution.45 Sanctification Sinister Susperia Sybreed Zonaria
    DemonAge
    Wiper

by DemonAge » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:06 pm

I really don't think there is anything to worry about people. Have some faith. :3drunks: :headbanger:
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Disaster Area wrote:exactly

Yeah, that's the ticket!
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Maybe it's just me, but the actual bands that play don't mean that much to me...I mean...I would love for 40 bands that I LOVE...but that will never be the case. An event like this is all about the community and camaraderie. I can see pretty much any one of these bands any time I want, anyplace. The thing with this cruise...(and you really miss this point if you ACTUALLY only treat it as a 'Metal Festival'), is the uniqueness of it. If you can't appreciate that...and you wanna bitch and wine about the money you paid....then don't go. This is a unique opportunity to hang out with badass metal bands, brothers, and sisters alike and celebrate in the fact that you just happened to be born at this time, to enjoy this music!!!!! (Hey...you could've been born a rap fan)...Celebrate it people...(and no...I have not been smoking pot...just drinking beers :D )

I love you all...COOMBAYAH...
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 pm

tmcasper wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the actual bands that play don't mean that much to me...I mean...I would love for 40 bands that I LOVE...but that will never be the case. An event like this is all about the community and camaraderie. I can see pretty much any one of these bands any time I want, anyplace. The thing with this cruise...(and you really miss this point if you ACTUALLY only treat it as a 'Metal Festival'), is the uniqueness of it. If you can't appreciate that...and you wanna bitch and wine about the money you paid....then don't go. This is a unique opportunity to hang out with badass metal bands, brothers, and sisters alike and celebrate in the fact that you just happened to be born at this time, to enjoy this music!!!!! (Hey...you could've been born a rap fan)...Celebrate it people...(and no...I have not been smoking pot...just drinking beers :D )

I love you all...COOMBAYAH...

I've been saying this since Day 1. This is the best post on the forums. :cool: :cool:

The reason why I haven't bitched about any of the bands is because I'M STILL ON VACATION. (Most of) these bands tour and you can see them whenever you want and you sure as hell won't have to pay thousands of (American) dollars to do it.

I booked last year on the first day we could because I was willing to pay $1,000+ to see Sonata Arctica on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Am I crazy? Probably. Did I care what the rest of the lineup was going to be? Somewhat.

Same this year. Would I have booked based solely on the lineup? Doubtful. I love Orphaned Land and Kamelot, but probably not enough to justify the cost if it wasn't for the overall experience. I love hanging out with you guys and girls and I'm paying money not just to see the bands and get timely announcements, but because I know, come January 23rd, I'm going to be having one of the best times of my life. Again.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Unfortunately its a bit different for us Aussies - and remember that we're not exactly a minority on the cruise. Over 150 of us in 2011 and I'm certain it will be that many if not more in 2012.

Only a select few metal bands tour Australia, due to the tyranny of distance.

The primary reason for us going in 2011 was because bands were on the lineup that had never toured Australia (ie Epica).

And of the 2012 lineup I imagine the majority have never toured here. I know for certain that Kamelot, Stratovarius, Hammerfall, Therion, Tristania, MDB and Grave Digger haven't.

So the uniqueness is certainly a factor, but the actual lineup is kinda important for us too :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:11 pm

I live in the U.S. and they managed to get a few bands I've never had a chance to see... so, I legitimately think they're doin' a great job
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:46 pm

There are a lot cheaper parties and social events to go to. I am going for the bands and the METAL. Everything else is bonus.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:13 pm

I can see Aaron's argument both ways. Yes, the communication (promo videos, updates, lapses in announcements) has pretty much sucked this year. But on the other hand, this is something that only a small group of individuals have put together. Logistically, it's gotta be a "Royal" pain in the ass. So give 'em a break, they're doing this for you.
    :trashdrink:
    Ogre
    Petty Officer

by Ogre » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:23 pm

We (myself, Juuno & Stabitha) also booked on day one just because of My Dying Bride and confidence that they'd add more bands we want to see, and they have. Getting a chance to see Venom (even if it's just Cronos) is a bucket list scratch. And there has been a nice combination of bands I haven't seen in a long time (Cannibal Corpse, '94), bands I haven't had the chance to see (God Dethroned, Samael, Pestilence), as well as bands from my youth that I never saw (Exciter, Whiplash). Not to mention hang time with other metalheads. :shred:
    2012 - You never forget your first time. And MDB.
    Barge - Ruled. Period.
    2015 - Booked early, disappointing lineup.
    2016 - Awesome. Best lineup since Barge.
    2018 - Good lineup, great time.
    2021 - Hypocrisy or bust.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:41 pm

Ecliptica wrote:I booked last year on the first day we could because I was willing to pay $1,000+ to see Sonata Arctica on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Am I crazy? Probably. Did I care what the rest of the lineup was going to be? Somewhat.

I felt and did the same thing but with Amon Amarth :lol: they were one of the first bands announced when I had stumbled across the cruise, I just couldn't fathom what an experience a metal cruise with Amon Amarth would be like, regardless who else was going to get booked. And the line up turned into a BEAST of a beautiful collection of great bands.

I'm not concerned. All will work out I'm sure :bangers:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:59 pm

longhairedaaron wrote:Ok, I love the cruise as much as the next guy. I had the time of my life last year. Besides a few gripes (such as the merch which was stupidly run) I thought it was insanely awesome. I'm going this year.

But I swear UMC could announce 1 band before the cruise, charge you double, install no toilet paper in the bathrooms, and at least half of you would kiss their ass and tell them how great they were and come up with excuses for them.

Lets face it, the fact that the cruise is two weeks away and we are without 5 bands is UNACCEPTABLE (well the cancellation I get, wow they gave us information).

The fact that they have taken so long to announce most of the bands is UNACCEPTABLE.

And *most importantly* the general lack of updates, communication personal attention, care, and information given to us by UMC is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE, disrespectful, and insulting!!!!

I get that the cruise is awesome. And I hate to bitch. But for gods sake people, have a back bone. We are being treated like shit, and while I'm not saying lets clan together for a class action lawsuit, lets at least let UMC know that their actions affect us, that we don't appreciate it, and that it will and should HAVE to change for us to continue supporting them to the level they currently enjoy.

Aaron

wow, you missed ALL of our very open ranting about everything about the cruise from NOANNOUNCEMENTS to barge to hell taking time away from this cruise, etc etc etc. ridiculous accusation that holds ho water if you were here to see hundreds of posts NOT kissing andy's ass (by the way i am excited about this year's line up dammit, it rules)
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:04 am

Yeah, there was a whole lot of ranting a few weeks back. For a while that was pretty much all there was
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Eternity
    Petty Officer

by Eternity » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:16 am

If I had the money, I would have booked last year for Sonata Arctica alone (and wept tears of joy for over half of the rest of the lineup). Same this year. Am I as insane as Ecliptica for paying 2000 dollars to see a band I've already seen? Yup. But it;s because this will be so much more than a bunch of concerts in a row. It's going to be pure fucking epic.
    Could I be happier about the lineup? Sure. But I'd actually be unhappy with TOO many more bands I liked, because then I'd miss out. This way I can see everything I want to see, ignore the rest, and have an awesome vacation in between.

I can relate to the Aussies. We get a lot more bands touring, yes, but most of the good ones that come to Canada his the East, and then might drift to Vancouver on their way back through the States. The landlocked provinces generally get skipped (or, tauntingly, we get every other tour). So I getto see bands I'd either not get to see until I move, or wouldn't get to see for another five years anyway.

So there are still five slots. If they don't get filled, have a beer! If they do, have a beer!
    Non-Repeat Wishlist: Apocalyptica, Cellador, Gloryhammer, Haggard, Mortemia, Northern Kings, Powerglove, Rhapsody/Of Fire, Sirenia, Tarot, The Unguided, Van Canto, Viathyn, Violet Sun, Wintersun
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:24 am

longhairedaaron wrote:Lets face it, the fact that the cruise is two weeks away and we are without 5 bands is UNACCEPTABLE (well the cancellation I get, wow they gave us information).

I'm not gonna say you don't have a right to be annoyed at this stuff. Sure it drives me and TONS of others batshit crazy from time to time. And PLENTY of people have whined/complained/bitched/made rationale statements about it.

On the other hand, just because someone doesn't get their panties in a bind over this doesn't make them wrong either. Yeah, the announcements and info is dribbled out in drips and drab, unlike a NORMAL festival. But what makes you believe this is anything close to NORMAL in the first place ?

I'll preach this til the cows come home (and proven otherwise). For all the annoyance and lack of information or "slick presentation" we get PRIOR to the cruise, the event itself was as FLAWLESS as you could have even dreamed up. The proof is in the final result.

So I know that if I put up with drawn out announcements, lack of updates, blah, blah, blah and the EVENT ITSELF comes out great (all the bands sound great, no delays, etc.) it is a SMALL PRICE TO PAY and I'll pay that everytime.

Nothing in my lifetime has ever really exceeded my wildest imagination (whether it comes to movies, new CD, roller coaster for the first time) since I have such INSANE STANDARDS. This did. So UMC gets infinite benefit of the doubt with me until proven otherwise.

Would I like to take Andy by the neck collar and tell him "do this and that and this"? Sure. But I really have no clue what goes into planning this at all. I paid my $$$ last year and had the time of my life. Would it be nice to be "wined and dined" and have my asshole licked PRIOR to the cruise by UMC? Sure, who wouldn't (unless you have some aversion to having your "salad tossed"). But it certainly isn't required.

Hopefully all of your longhair hasn't fallen out over this :heavydrink:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:36 am

KevinP wrote:
    I'm not gonna say you don't have a right to be annoyed at this stuff. Sure it drives me and TONS of others batshit crazy from time to time. And PLENTY of people have whined/complained/bitched/made rationale statements about it.

On the other hand, just because someone doesn't get their panties in a bind over this doesn't make them wrong either. Yeah, the announcements and info is dribbled out in drips and drab, unlike a NORMAL festival. But what makes you believe this is anything close to NORMAL in the first place ?

I'll preach this til the cows come home (and proven otherwise). For all the annoyance and lack of information or "slick presentation" we get PRIOR to the cruise, the event itself was as FLAWLESS as you could have even dreamed up. The proof is in the final result.

So I know that if I put up with drawn out announcements, lack of updates, blah, blah, blah and the EVENT ITSELF comes out great (all the bands sound great, no delays, etc.) it is a SMALL PRICE TO PAY and I'll pay that everytime.

Nothing in my lifetime has ever really exceeded my wildest imagination (whether it comes to movies, new CD, roller coaster for the first time) since I have such INSANE STANDARDS. This did. So UMC gets infinite benefit of the doubt with me until proven otherwise.

Would I like to take Andy by the neck collar and tell him "do this and that and this"? Sure. But I really have no clue what goes into planning this at all. I paid my $$$ last year and had the time of my life. Would it be nice to be "wined and dined" and have my asshole licked PRIOR to the cruise by UMC? Sure, who wouldn't (unless you have some aversion to having your "salad tossed"). But it certainly isn't required.

Hopefully all of your longhair hasn't fallen out over this :heavydrink:

Great statement. I did not go last year :cry: but so far I think the UMC is doing a great job, bitching about the small things we're not happy about does not help anyone. I can relate to the Aussies though, distance can be a bitch.

:viking:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:00 am

I'd like to add another thing.

You know what rocks about UMC? They LET us bitch about the way they do things :lol:

The mods are online every day and they see us calling 'em out over any number of things.

And they never ban us, or delete our comments or threads, etc like they could so easily do.

Massive props to them for that :beerbang:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Eternity
    Petty Officer

by Eternity » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:06 am

cowboy71 wrote:I'd like to add another thing.

You know what rocks about UMC? They LET us bitch about the way they do things :lol:

The mods are online every day and they see us calling 'em out over any number of things.

And they never ban us, or delete our comments or threads, etc like they could so easily do.

Massive props to them for that :beerbang:

True. I've never seen someone take criticism with the dignity that they do. Especially when they turn around and deliver what I've heard is an excellent product, to their nay-sayers, no grudge held. While some might not agree with their methods, I think we can all respect them.
    Non-Repeat Wishlist: Apocalyptica, Cellador, Gloryhammer, Haggard, Mortemia, Northern Kings, Powerglove, Rhapsody/Of Fire, Sirenia, Tarot, The Unguided, Van Canto, Viathyn, Violet Sun, Wintersun
  • Coseuve
    Oiler

by Coseuve » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:01 am

WHATEVER! I WANT HYPOCRISY !!!
    ...AND KREATOR!
    :shred:
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:10 am

Coseuve wrote:WHATEVER! I WANT HYPOCRISY !!!
    ...AND KREATOR!

YEAH! WHAT HE SAID!!!!
    drbrain
    Crewman

by drbrain » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:27 am

longhairedaaron wrote:Ok, I love the cruise as much as the next guy. I had the time of my life last year. Besides a few gripes (such as the merch which was stupidly run) I thought it was insanely awesome. I'm going this year.

Aaron

I also agree with you, I consider we paid a lot of money (apart from the boat there is the expensive flight from Spain + the hotel prior and after the cruise) to get so little information... And Cruise or not (like with a normal festival) I consider that by now we´re entitled to know the complete line-up already (unless UMC hasn´t got it yet!). Probably Barge to Hell is drawing their attention more since it´s "newer" so it´s possible they´ve been putting more energy into that one and wanna sell bigger names over there... I hope they don´t forget that the second edition (of a TV show, festival, or any other kind of event ...) is always more complicated to accomplish (even though they´ve got the advantage and experience of last year). To REALIZE something unique is difficult, to CONFIRM it (as this year´s edition) even more... I just hope they didn´t take it more relaxed for this year´s edition.

On the other hand, I also follow Kevin in his statement: "UMC gets infinite benefit of the doubt with me until proven otherwise".

HAIL TO KING ANDY (for now ... :headbanger: )
    But deep in your mind - You admit your defeat
    I'll stare you in your eyes - Till you bow your head
    You tried to change me - You could not succeed
    Because all that you hate - Is what I want to
    be
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:46 am

I think this is one of those rare cases where everyone has a valid argument, no matter what side they take :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:47 am

mooyagi wrote:I think this is one of those rare cases where everyone has a valid argument, no matter what side they take :lol:

Except Kevin

fuck him

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:55 am

Disaster Area wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I think this is one of those rare cases where everyone has a valid argument, no matter what side they take :lol:

Except Kevin

fuck him

Very true :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
Locked 110 posts