Post Reply 160 posts
UMC & You
  • Are you be willing to pay slightly more for future cruises to support additional customer service?

Don't change a thing! It's fine the way it is
    25%
    No, we already pay more than enough for what we get and they should just provide these things to begin with
    63%
    Yes, but only about 1 or 2% more
    4%
    Yes, up to 5% more
    5%
    Yes, up to 10% more
    3%

Total votes: 76
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

UMC & You

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:02 am

So, we all know the kinds of ups n' downs we've experienced here due to slow announcements and late e-mail broading passes and what not. I know that we'd all prefer to see those things change but that's not what this post/poll is about. This is specifically and only a question about customer service and regular information updates so please keep that in mind when considering your answer. Also, if you weren't on the first trip, please don't answer the poll question until you return from the trip we're about to embark on as it may seriously impact your response. Feel free to post all the silly crap and sarcastic BS we've all come to know and love around here in the thread itself but I have to ask...

PLEASE, read the poll instructions carefully, answer as honestly as possible and PLEASE only answer if you're fairly sure you're going to return for 70K 2013 and/or B2H.

Thanks!

So here's my question(s):

Regardless of lineup, frequency or schedule of band announcements, early availability of running order or e-mail boarding passes, IF UMC chose to provide the following:

- Monthly e-mail newsletters
    - Regular (every week or 2) updates on the forum and official site and facebook page about what's going on behind the scenes
    - More communication and involvement in and support for various onbroad activities/ideas such as passenger meetups, open mic,
    - Just general overall improvement in customer relations in order to be present, open and almost transparent as opposed to mysterious, elusive and almost invisible

Would you be willing to pay slightly more for your cabin next time around than what would be charged without these changes?

- No, we already pay more than enough for what we get and they should just provide these things to begin with
    - Yes, but only about 1 or 2% more
    - Yes, up to 5% more
    - Yes, up to 10% more

Oh, and just to be completely transparent myself and not to have it end up looking like I was trying to pull a fast one or manipulate the data or anyone's responses, I'm actually hoping the results of this poll will serve as a job application of sorts to convince Andy to hire me (or, of course, someone more qualified) part time to help put these changes in place and maintain them year round :D

*EDIT*

I'm pretty sure everyone here is aware of this but, for any who aren't and just to be super clear, the suggestion that perhaps a slight price increase might allow/inspire UMC to provide improved customer service is completely the product of me trying to imagine what could be keeping them from doing so. In no way, shape or form did this idea come from UMC themselves or anything I've heard or read from them directly or indirectly. I just figured that the fact that they run a pretty small crew over there with so much to do left them little time to do these things but, as has been pointed out already, the simple act of providing these improvements would free up more than enough time from what is now being used to deal with incoming complaints and requests for information.

Just wanted to throw that out there as a bit of a thread disclaimer.
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: UMC & You

by cowboy71 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 am

HAHAHA good work you :)

Won't answer the poll as there is absolutely no chance of me returning next year....

....okay maybe not NO chance - if Within Temptation AND Van Canto AND Magnum AND Powerwolf were on the lineup............

I would definitely be willing to pay a tiny bit more if it meant a guarantee of better customer service.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:37 am

like i posted on other treads.. i think this slow announcing and seeing my vacation slowly unfold is part of the fun... and i really don't care about the slowness of the thing... so no answer for the poll from me...
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:39 am

Michaelage wrote:like i posted on other treads.. i think this slow announcing and seeing my vacation slowly unfold is part of the fun... and i really don't care about the slowness of the thing... so no answer for the poll from me...

Sorry man. A little presumptuous of me not to include that option. Editing to add that now. Thanks!

Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:40 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Michaelage wrote:like i posted on other treads.. i think this slow announcing and seeing my vacation slowly unfold is part of the fun... and i really don't care about the slowness of the thing... so no answer for the poll from me...

Sorry man. A little presumptuous of me not to include that option. Editing to add that now. Thanks!

no problem. I feel like i am the only one who likes it this way...
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:41 am

Michaelage wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:

I doubt it

I was saying pretty much the same thing up until a few months ago

Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:46 am

i will keep saying that... i just like it the way it is.... it is a cruise which is insane and the friends i made will probably never go away :wank: that is the best part about this for me...
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:49 am

Michaelage wrote:i will keep saying that... i just like it the way it is.... it is a cruise which is insane and the friends i made will probably never go away :wank: that is the best part about this for me...

Nominating for Double FeelGood post of 70K 2012 award!! :beerbang:

Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:51 am

damn can't wait till i fly!
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:42 am

Pay more for customer service???? What is this world coming to? I don't think UMC necessarily did anything malicious, I think they either 1. worked too hard on this, or 2. got lazy in October/November, which ultimately led to the ball being dropped. I know there were several people that cancelled because of the lapse in announcements, but I bet it didn't break UMC's bank, so who cares?
    Now, I've said in the past that a little marketing wouldn't hurt. I would gladly promote the cruise on my own time, for FREE... if they would only send the proper materials. I would've loved some new promo ads from this year's bands, new flyers, and all that junk. But to pay more for what we had the first year? No thanks. With the exception of the bands, I feel we got less this year than last. Simply because of the pre-cruise entertainment value.
    Anyway, before I continue rambling... There is a 0.0001% chance I'll be on the Barge To Hell or 70,000 Tons because I have some real-life responsibilities I have to take care of. And unless I get my salary doubled when I get back (which is an even smaller chance) I won't be able to do this ever again.
    God it hurts so bad to say that. :cry: There is a small chance I may get onbroad if I'm working with one of the bands, but we'll see.
    To sum it all up, I think you've made an interesting poll Rob. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and mine is that UMC did just fine, with the exception of 6 weeks without a word, followed by a fairly lame announcement, and no promo spots or anything.
    Worst customer service ever? Absolutely not. Could've been better? Yes. Would I pay more next year? No. Even if it meant more interaction? No.

:cheers:

P.S. I think it would be a good gesture to give a complimentary bier voucher when we broad. It would be a VERY nice welcome and an easy way to smooth over some of the dissatisfied guests.

:givebeer:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:46 am

if people are dissatisfied... let them be... you know the deal when you buy a ticket... last time they had years to complete... now just 11 months... damn... get over it...
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:49 am

Michaelage wrote:if people are dissatisfied... let them be... you know the deal when you buy a ticket... last time they had years to complete... now just 11 months... damn... get over it...

I agree! I'm not dissatisfied. I hope that wasn't aimed at me. :oops: I'm tired of all the :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: and like Rob said...

Let's get this bitch in the water!
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:02 am

i am no aiming at anyone... but i posted very little on these forums because of all the fucking screamo's... i just hate people that keep screaming... its like they never been to an european festival before... wacken is sold out 3 months after the last installment and then there are 5 bands known... graspop never sells out but more then 50% of the tickets are sold in pre sale where there is max 1 headliner known...

all these festivals have a load of loyal fans... if you like 70k then go and trust in andy and co to pull it off!!!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:13 am

Michaelage wrote:i am no aiming at anyone... but i posted very little on these forums because of all the fucking screamo's... i just hate people that keep screaming... its like they never been to an european festival before... wacken is sold out 3 months after the last installment and then there are 5 bands known... graspop never sells out but more then 50% of the tickets are sold in pre sale where there is max 1 headliner known...

all these festivals have a load of loyal fans... if you like 70k then go and trust in andy and co to pull it off!!!

100% agreed. Sure, you can wait for the announcements for festivals too, but then you risk of not getting a ticket or have to pay a higher price. Same here with 70k, you pay the cheaper price (cabin) trusting that the event will be as good as before. If the lineup isn't to your liking, sell the tickets - we've seen quite a few persons manage to sell theirs.

Yes, the announcements or updates should be more regular, more info on what to expect, more info on timeframes, less power metal announcements... But would I pay more for that? No, except for the last one. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:15 am

Memnoch wrote:
    Yes, the announcements or updates should be more regular, more info on what to expect, more info on timeframes, less power metal announcements... But would I pay more for that? No, except for the last one. :lol:

:lol: was this a love letter to me ? :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:33 am

I chose the 'should be included in the current price' option. I think it's a bit obvious that if they are up to their :boobs: in work, they definitely need some extra hands to handle the workload. Although it has been said before that if they were to put some time into regular public updates, they would save themselves a huge amount of time not having to deal with single emails coming through all about the same concerns. Even copy + paste can be time consuming when you have to do it 2000 times. :roll:
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:01 am

I wouldn't change a thing... Whining and complaining is part of the process of waiting for the cruise to start :lol: :lol:
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:19 am

pablov8 wrote:I wouldn't change a thing... Whining and complaining is part of the process of waiting for the cruise to start :lol: :lol:

HAHAHA - it kinda is becoming a bit of a 70000 Tons 'tradition', isn't it :D

Seriously cannot do it to myself again though - looking forward to watching it all from the sidelines as a lurker and not a 'sailor' once this one is over :D :bangers:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:23 am

My $0.02:
    Methinks we're paying enough as it is already, especially considering that we're actually paying a little bit more for the 2012 voyage than the 2011 voyage. Whether this is due to an overall loss for UMC, or an effort to gain more equity to book more "big" bands, I dunno... but that's part of the main issue I would bring up. It does seem like there is not much in the way of communication from UMC about what's going on. The time between announcements over the past couple months or so without any hints whatsover (i.e. setting sail that way!) was pretty weak. However, as others appear to have mentioned, I do feel that part of the excitement does come from the fact that we're never sure when an announcement is going to take place, or who to expect to be announced. Really quite a catch 22 almost...

An idea that can think of would to perhaps have a "paying customer" section of the forums, hidden from the general public, where UMC folks could perhaps be a tiny bit more interactive with us. Granted, there'd be nothing to stop anyone from sharing any posts there with the general public, except maybe some for of non-disclosure agreement...

All that said, I think the UMC crew have been doing a fantastic job putting all this together, again, and I look forward to what they'll put together in the future!
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Emperor-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Candlemass-/-DarkTranquillity-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:29 am

nekrobarr wrote:My $0.02:
    Methinks we're paying enough as it is already, especially considering that we're actually paying a little bit more for the 2012 voyage than the 2011 voyage. Whether this is due to an overall loss for UMC, or an effort to gain more equity to book more "big" bands, I dunno... but that's part of the main issue I would bring up. It does seem like there is not much in the way of communication from UMC about what's going on. The time between announcements over the past couple months or so without any hints whatsover (i.e. setting sail that way!) was pretty weak. However, as others appear to have mentioned, I do feel that part of the excitement does come from the fact that we're never sure when an announcement is going to take place, or who to expect to be announced. Really quite a catch 22 almost...

An idea that can think of would to perhaps have a "paying customer" section of the forums, hidden from the general public, where UMC folks could perhaps be a tiny bit more interactive with us. Granted, there'd be nothing to stop anyone from sharing any posts there with the general public, except maybe some for of non-disclosure agreement...

All that said, I think the UMC crew have been doing a fantastic job putting all this together, again, and I look forward to what they'll put together in the future!

couldn't have said it better myself
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:48 am

cowboy71 wrote:Seriously cannot do it to myself again though - looking forward to watching it all from the sidelines as a lurker and not a 'sailor' once this one is over :D :bangers:

Yeah, same here :| , after this one, I'll come just to say hi for the next 2 or 3 years at least.
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:58 am

gnoff wrote:In the end we are the biggest ambassadors of this festival, when we come back shouting about how fucking awesome this festival is, potential new cruisers are listening.
    That being said, if I ran this festival I'd want to have the cruisers happy and well informed if I could.

I agree with all, but this is the one I agree the most. I mostly joined the cruise because of all the great comments I read here from all maiden voyagers, If I had only entered to 70K site and see the lack of information for weeks I would probably have doubted on booking.
    Specially because of the risks I'm taking by booking both cruise and plane tickets, in a currency that's 4 and a half more expensive than the currency in my country.

I could said that I'm here 80% because of maiden voyagers comments and 20% because of seeing photos from last cruise and saying "I so wanna be there"
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:48 am

Michaelage wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:

I do too :viking:
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:11 am

I'm not gonna fork over more cash if they're gonna take their sweet time to get something important like the full band lineup up.
    It's common sense when marketing your product. Sure there are some great bands that have been announced right from the start, but by December or at the very least the beginning of January, those line ups should be final. I think it's silly they have deadlines for when you can call and get your money back, but they don't give themselves deadlines for when the band lineup should be up there. I mean, that's cheating the customer because they don't know exactly what they're paying for and if it looks disappointing in the end they can't get their money back which they should be able to.

It helps in the sale of tickets when people know exactly what to expect from the music side of it. Other than that, UMC has been pretty awesome.
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:23 am

This cruise has been the most stressful vacation we have ever planned, last year, not so much since didn't book as early and didn't "partake" in the agonizing announcement drought thru out the summer. Plus the clues were fun and eased the tension.

I honestly think anyone that thinks their announcement system and customer service is "fun", most likely has too much disposable income ( which I could help them with! :twisted: ), doesn't care about being in debt, or is going for other reasons than what bands are booked. Sadly I am none of the above.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:54 am

I'm pretty sure everyone here is aware of this but, for any who aren't and just to be super clear, the suggestion that perhaps a slight price increase might allow/inspire UMC to provide improved customer service is completely the product of me trying to imagine what could be keeping them from doing so. In no way, shape or form did this idea come from UMC themselves or anything I've heard or read from them directly or indirectly. I just figured that the fact that they run a pretty small crew over there with so much to do left them little time to do these things but, as has been pointed out already, the simple act of providing these improvements would free up more than enough time from what is now being used to deal with incoming complaints and requests for information.

Just wanted to throw that out there as a bit of a thread disclaimer and will add it to the original post as well. It seems that my suggestion of a price increase has added to the pre-existing ire of some folks and the last thing I wanna do is piss anyone off any more than they already are. Sorry about that. :oops:

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:57 am

I'd be willing to pay a little more if it meant they could hire and extra person or two to help things go along smoother
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:02 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone here is aware of this but, for any who aren't and just to be super clear, the suggestion that perhaps a slight price increase might allow/inspire UMC to provide improved customer service is completely the product of me trying to imagine what could be keeping them from doing so. In no way, shape or form did this idea come from UMC themselves or anything I've heard or read from them directly or indirectly. I just figured that the fact that they run a pretty small crew over there with so much to do left them little time to do these things but, as has been pointed out already, the simple act of providing these improvements would free up more than enough time from what is now being used to deal with incoming complaints and requests for information.

Just wanted to throw that out there as a bit of a thread disclaimer and will add it to the original post as well. It seems that my suggestion of a price increase has added to the pre-existing ire of some folks and the last thing I wanna do is piss anyone off any more than they already are. Sorry about that. :oops:

You didn't add anymore ire to my comment. No harm done as far as I am concerned.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:04 am

I think the line up should be finalized by August.
    UMC wants people to commit AND pay way in advance with out knowing who they are paying to see.
    Normal concert venues do not do that.
    If UMC can not announce bands by August they should refund in full to any one who does not like the line up after it is announced.
    If we have to make plans and payments way in advance so should UMC.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 am

Lack of information/updates can be annoying, but I'm not paying for the customer service in the end. I'm paying specifically for the onbroad experience. It's not worth it to stress out about lack of band announcements. I had a blast last time. I will have a blast this time. As long as the lineups continue to have bands I want to see and as long as I have a great time onbroad, the buildup to the cruise won't affect my plans at all.

To boot, I've had great experiences with UMC when I've had questions about the cruise and whatnot. Allison and Blake have been very helpful on the phone and over email these past two cruises. I freaked out a bit early after booking because I had an issue with my bank transfer but once I got in touch with Allison all was fine. Haven't worried since. :beerwink:

Now just get me on broad already!!!!
    I should get around to updating my signature
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:27 am

mooyagi wrote:Lack of information/updates can be annoying, but I'm not paying for the customer service in the end. I'm paying specifically for the onbroad experience. It's not worth it to stress out about lack of band announcements. I had a blast last time. I will have a blast this time. As long as the lineups continue to have bands I want to see and as long as I have a great time onbroad, the buildup to the cruise won't affect my plans at all.

To boot, I've had great experiences with UMC when I've had questions about the cruise and whatnot. Allison and Blake have been very helpful on the phone and over email these past two cruises. I freaked out a bit early after booking because I had an issue with my bank transfer but once I got in touch with Allison all was fine. Haven't worried since. :beerwink:

Hey!! This cruise is not past yet!! :bitch: :bitch: :viking:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:28 am

pablov8 wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Lack of information/updates can be annoying, but I'm not paying for the customer service in the end. I'm paying specifically for the onbroad experience. It's not worth it to stress out about lack of band announcements. I had a blast last time. I will have a blast this time. As long as the lineups continue to have bands I want to see and as long as I have a great time onbroad, the buildup to the cruise won't affect my plans at all.

:lol: Good point
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 am

pablov8 wrote:

no no no no
    it's :viking: :bitch:
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:13 am

STACH100 wrote:I think the line up should be finalized by August.
    UMC wants people to commit AND pay way in advance with out knowing who they are paying to see.
    If UMC can not announce bands by August they should refund in full to any one who does not like the line up after it is announced.

I have never heard any festival giving full refunds if the lineup wasn't what a pre-ticket buyer wanted. If one wants to be sure to go on a cruise that will meet his expectations, he can always wait until the lineup is finished. Sure, there won't be any cheap pre-sale tickets (or, in this case, cabins) on sale anymore.

Besides, this is not a "normal concert venue". This is a festival, and a unique one at that. Show me a festival with at least 40 bands on the bill that has all the bands announced six months in advance.
    Wishlist:
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 am

Memnoch wrote:

I have never heard any festival giving full refunds if the lineup wasn't what a pre-ticket buyer wanted. If one wants to be sure to go on a cruise that will meet his expectations, he can always wait until the lineup is finished. Sure, there won't be any cheap pre-sale tickets (or, in this case, cabins) on sale anymore.

Besides, this is not a "normal concert venue". This is a festival, and a unique one at that. Show me a festival with at least 40 bands on the bill that has all the bands announced six months in advance.

http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2012/main-b ... ing-20120/

:P
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:24 am

Memnoch wrote:

Sure but they announced the Cruise in early spring I don't think August is to soon for them to announce the line up.
    I didn't decide to go till they announced Overkill, if they had announced them sooner, I would have signed on sooner.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 am

I chose the second option (as did most it seems). Not because I'm upset with how UMC have been handling it, but because I think (hope) it will get better. Putting together a festival from the ground up can't be easy, the second time round they only had a year to do it and they may have bit off more than they could chew with adding BTH but I don't know anything that happens behind the seems. Basically, I think, almost every festival either announces the majority of the lineup up front or tells us when they are going to make an announcement and has better communication via facebook, etc. I'm not upset with how UMC handled things this year because they are getting swamped right now and they are probably still learning about the ins and outs of festival organizing. I do think that it is going to get better in the future and we will know when announcements will be made and it will be a lot less stressful for everyone. I hope. I don't think a price increase is necessary because it's probably not a money issue.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:51 am

Stained Class wrote:I chose the second option (as did most it seems). Not because I'm upset with how UMC have been handling it, but because I think (hope) it will get better. Putting together a festival from the ground up can't be easy, the second time round they only had a year to do it and they may have bit off more than they could chew with adding BTH but I don't know anything that happens behind the seems. Basically, I think, almost every festival either announces the majority of the lineup up front or tells us when they are going to make an announcement and has better communication via facebook, etc. I'm not upset with how UMC handled things this year because they are getting swamped right now and they are probably still learning about the ins and outs of festival organizing. I do think that it is going to get better in the future and we will know when announcements will be made and it will be a lot less stressful for everyone. I hope. I don't think a price increase is necessary because it's probably not a money issue.

tend to agree with the wise young man here.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 am

pablov8 wrote:http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2012/main-bands/billing-20120/

So that's the final lineup? Ok, where do I buy tickets?
    Wishlist:
    Ogre
    Petty Officer

by Ogre » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 am

Early on I booked with an employee named Hillary and she was great to me, very cool. I think she may no longer be with UMC, anymore, though. Otherwise, I've had no problems with e-mails, contact, etc, and I'm not what one would call a "squeaky wheel." I tend to wait with questions and do my own research or just see if the info is forthcoming later. It usually is.

I am hoping, however, that the B2H bookings are announced more rapidly. I'd like to go, but two cruises in a year is a lot of money. I'd like to have a bigger picture on who's going to play before I book. The thing I have working in my favor is that I don't expect B2H to sell as quickly as 70K, being a more specialized genre' bill and the second cruise of the year, so perhaps I can wait a bit and see whom they have booked before committing. If UMC comes out in the first week and announces Hypocrisy, Bloodbath, Rotting Christ, Autopsy, At the Gates & Bolt Thrower then, derp, the fam and I are all in. Otherwise, we can always just hit a festival in Europe, instead. :headbanger:
    2012 - You never forget your first time. And MDB.
    Barge - Ruled. Period.
    2015 - Booked early, soft lineup.
    2016 - Awesome. Best lineup since Barge.
    2018 - Great time.
    2020 - Hypocrisy or bust.
Post Reply 160 posts