Post Reply 36 posts Page 1 of 1
Rain or shine?
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

Rain or shine?

by Malaka » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:13 am

I hope this isn't a bad omen or anything, but what happens to the pool deck performances if we run into a rain storm? As of right now, there's a 30% chance of rain on Tuesday the 24th in the Gulf.
    :viking:
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Rain or shine?

by Bentz! » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:23 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:I hope this isn't a bad omen or anything, but what happens to the pool deck performances if we run into a rain storm? As of right now, there's a 30% chance of rain on Tuesday the 24th in the Gulf.

I doubt that they'll have enough flexibility in the schedule to move the show to an indoor venue. I don't remember if there was a cover on the stage at all during the last cruise, but I'm sure that they have a cover for the outdoor stage same as many other outdoor festivals.

I'm bringing a couple of those $1 plastic ponchos just in case. :party:
    Jöhn&Melönius
    Crewman

by Jöhn&Melönius » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:26 am

I think it sprinkled for about 30 seconds one night last time. I don't anticipate it will be much of a problem.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:31 am

I've been curious about this for a while too. The pool stage was not covered last time as I can recall.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:34 am

One night it was so windy I said, F**k it I'm going to the lounge stage.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:44 am

mooyagi wrote:I've been curious about this for a while too. The pool stage was not covered last time as I can recall.

My guess is that based on weather forecasts they did not cover it as that would have impeded viewpoints for people unnecessarily. But that they have a contingency plan in place if they know something is coming.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:44 am

STACH100 wrote:One night it was so windy I said, F**k it I'm going to the lounge stage.

Yea that night my girl and I decided to watch the pool deck shows from the viking crown lounge. Perfect spot to stay cozy and still see/hear everything.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:54 am

KevinP wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I've been curious about this for a while too. The pool stage was not covered last time as I can recall.

My guess is that based on weather forecasts they did not cover it as that would have impeded viewpoints for people unnecessarily. But that they have a contingency plan in place if they know something is coming.

Very possible. Wonder what would happen if it's rainy and windy. I was wondering about a tarp or something like that they could cover the stage with, but wind could really screw things up there.
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:56 am

It drizzled a few times that I remembered, nothing long or hard, but I remember thinking the equipment was screwed if there was a down pour since there was no top.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    kCJ
    Crewman

by kCJ » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:21 am

If you all where one time in you live at a festival in Germany you will have the experience with rain, storm (y weather) and other things that could happen. Just cool down and bring the clothes for this weather with you. It is like it is: rain or shine, I had all of them. :shock: ;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Metaluke17
    Crewman

by Metaluke17 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 am

Rain or Shine belong to Wacken, the year I went there (2007) I got lucky I believe, the week before the festival was kinda rainy and the Wacken staff got hard time to drain the soil using hay. The first day started with scattered rain showers but by the time we got either Sodom or Saxon the sky went clear until the end of the festival. From what I heard, the 2006 edition never got that luck.
    2012: 4065
    Returning in 2014 cabin 3029

wishlist: D.R.I., King Diamond, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Necrophobic, Malevolent Creation, Brutality, Vreid, Suicidal Angels, Exumer, Hatchet, Myrath.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:12 am

Oh no Rain!!!
    Anybody who doesn't go see a band they like because of rain is a complete pussy
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:31 am

Rain is metal
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:35 am

cycosurgeon wrote:long or hard, screwed .

Metalwrath wrote:Oh no Rain!!!
    Anybody who doesn't go see a band they like because of rain is a complete power weenie

:heavydrink: :heavydrink: :heavydrink:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:43 am

KevinP wrote:
    cycosurgeon wrote:long or hard, screwed .

Anybody who doesn't go see a band they like because of rain is a complete power weenie

:heavydrink: :heavydrink: :heavydrink:

I saw what you did there.
    And funily enough it's usually the power metal bands who are willing to play out in the rain and lightning unlike all those death metal bands who get all girls if water touches them. :lol:
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:44 am

Anybody who doesn't go see a band they like because of rain is a complete pussy

one of those weird times where I'm 100% in agreement with Metalwrath... we might be metal, but we won't rust... and even delicate flowers can handle a little rain... so if you can't, well.. that's pretty weak
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:51 am

I endured the wind and the tiny sprinkle plus the cold that night which really added to the Amon Amarth’s pool set and made it more visual. Really cool.
    So I think that I can handle it if it rains this year. I lived through this concert and it rained for almost the entire 2 hour show. http://youtu.be/morjMjHuX1k
    I’m sure (hope) they have a plan in place.
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:53 am

Monmisreal wrote:
    STACH100 wrote:One night it was so windy I said, F**k it I'm going to the lounge stage.

Yea that night my girl and I decided to watch the pool deck shows from the viking crown lounge. Perfect spot to stay cozy and still see/hear everything.

The sound from the Viking Lounge was amazing. The windows seemed to muffle the bass to a point where you could hear everything perfectly from there. I passed out early in the morning after the 10:00 AM Swashbuckle set and watched Sanctuary up there with the keyboardist from Sabaton and the sound was better than being down on the deck itself.

And as long as the equipment is safe, I can't imagine anything too bad. Just watch your step -- it gets slippery as hell on the pool deck WITHOUT rain.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:57 am

At Masters of rock festival in Czech Republic in 2010 there was basically a fucking monsoon.Well might aswell have been when Bloodbound were playing the rain was that fucking heavy.people in the beer garden were actually sitting on the tables so they could drink their beers because the beer garden actually got flooded with about a foot of rain.there was lightning lurking around too.
    Thor must be a big fan of Bloodbound too :mrgreen:
    Anyway yeah i got compeletly drenched in the rain but it was worth it to see a band i've been trying to see for years.
  • Mindcrime
    Petty Officer

by Mindcrime » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Monmisreal wrote:

Good to know, thanks!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:01 pm

metalwrath I would have endured anything to see bloodbound too: -)

Love that band.

I remember some light rain fell during gamma ray's set on the pooldeck last year but that was it.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021(?) 2022(??) Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:10 pm

It was quite cloudy the day that we docked in Mexico, but then it cleared up. Pretty sure the night before was the one that was really windy and we had some rain as the pool deck was slightly damp when we woke up.

Hopefully this year's weather will be as good as last year's. :beerbang:
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:34 pm

I figure it there was a really bad storm they would postpone the set for a bit and then just push everything back
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:55 pm

gnoff wrote:
    SlaytanicE21 wrote:I hope this isn't a bad omen or anything, but what happens to the pool deck performances if we run into a rain storm? As of right now, there's a 30% chance of rain on Tuesday the 24th in the Gulf.

we will get wet

We weren't already?
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Ea-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Krypts-/-Kull-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Strigoi-/-TombofFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-DarkTranquillity-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-SymphonyX-/-Thyrfing
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:00 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:I figure it there was a really bad storm they would postpone the set for a bit and then just push everything back

Nope metalheads p;ay through storms like real men ^^
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:07 pm

Metalwrath wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:I figure it there was a really bad storm they would postpone the set for a bit and then just push everything back

Nope metalheads p;ay through storms like real men ^^

:deathhorns: :deathhorns: :deathhorns:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:13 pm

gnoff wrote:At least the mud will be less than at Wacken

But then no mud wrestling broads :cry:

That Wacken mud is disgusting, by the way
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:14 pm

1 more of my wishlist bands is all it will take for me to get "wet & giggly" :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:15 pm

mooyagi wrote:

That's what the hot tub is for!
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Ea-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Krypts-/-Kull-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Strigoi-/-TombofFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-DarkTranquillity-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-SymphonyX-/-Thyrfing
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:04 pm

gnoff wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

smells like death

eww. i think i'm now too old to go to that fest! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:34 am

Damn, I forgot I made this thread. :lol: It looks like rain may not be in the forecast now, but of course I'm sure that will change again.
    Just to clarify, I don't care if it rains. I'm not afraid of getting wet. The best shows are made in storms! But I am concerned about shows getting delayed/postponed/cancelled, because of weather. I'm sure some bands don't want their equipment destroyed, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed I guess. Do they have a contingency plan in place?

By the way, I saw Cannibal Corpse at a festival in '06, and as soon as they hit the stage it starting pouring rain, lightning, wind... it was awesome! And again in '09, a dust storm blew over a shitload of merch tents and the canopy over the sound booth right before Cannibal went on. Shit, the stage almost collapsed too, but it held up. Those were memorable shows. :twisted:
    And I think every time I've seen Slayer, it has rained. Every time.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:43 am

Yeah, I'm sure there's a backup plan. Andy/Allison, want to chime in here? :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Ogre
    Petty Officer

by Ogre » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Metalwrath wrote:And funily enough it's usually the power metal bands who are willing to play out in the rain and lightning unlike all those death metal bands who get all girls if water touches them. :lol:

Death metallers prefer to be dirty, that's all. :P :D
    2012 - You never forget your first time. And MDB.
    Barge - Ruled. Period.
    2015 - Booked early, disappointing lineup.
    2016 - Awesome. Best lineup since Barge.
    2018 - Good lineup, great time.
    2021 - Hypocrisy or bust.
Post Reply 36 posts Page 1 of 1