Post Reply 21 posts Page 1 of 1
RIP Mark Reale (Riot)
    cowboy71
    Commander

RIP Mark Reale (Riot)

by cowboy71 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:45 am

I don't believe its been mentioned here. Lost in the excitement perhaps.

But, its with heavy heart that I read when I returned home today, that Mark passed away while we were cruising with his band :(

http://www.markreale.com/

I really regret not seeing Riot now :( Viathyn told me I would love them, but their second set was a direct clash with Therion and I couldn't pass up seeing Therion again.

RIP Mark.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Re: RIP Mark Reale (Riot)

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:56 am

He passed sometime Wednesday night as it was during Virgin Steele's set on Thursday that they announced it and dedicated their performance that day to him and his music. It was being discussed quite a bit on the ship but I can see how it would be easy to not be at one of the places where that was happening in such a short time.

I wasn't sure they'd still play their 4:30 set after finding out but apparently they did. Would've been a nice gesture to see that set bumped to the pool deck but can see how that would have been a logistical nightmare as well. Either way, I wouldn't have missed Jeff's guitar clinic to see it but wish I could have avoided that conflict and attended.

The world has certainly lost another amazing musician. Comforting to know he had such great and talented bandmates who will carry his music and legacy onward.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:21 am

Didn't get to see Riot either. Heard about it during Hammerfall's set in the Chorus Line as they dedicated their performance of Glory to the Brave to him. RIP
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Metaluke17
    Crewman

by Metaluke17 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:24 am

I missed first set because I had to Attend Venom at the same time, but the second set was mandatory even if I had to miss the Jeff Waters guitar clinic or Therion. Damn, it was an hard choice to do and I would never regret it, this show was so emotional and great, I shed a tear on the end of Thundersteel. RIP Mark Reale
    2012: 4065
    Returning in 2014 cabin 3029

wishlist: D.R.I., King Diamond, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Necrophobic, Malevolent Creation, Brutality, Vreid, Suicidal Angels, Exumer, Hatchet, Myrath.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Such sad news :cry: :cry: :cry: RIP Mark Reale
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:41 pm

It was pretty emotional for me when Hammerfall did Glory To The Brave in honor of him during their second set...one of my most vivid memories from the trip...
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    AntonioRJ
    Crewman

by AntonioRJ » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 pm

tmcasper wrote:It was pretty emotional for me when Hammerfall did Glory To The Brave in honor of him during their second set...one of my most vivid memories from the trip...

It was really amazing!
    Rip mark reale...!!!
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 am

I shed a tear for Mark when they made a pause before last song to make that announcement. Somehow, I just knew what they were going to say. RIP Mark

PS: Regarding Jeff's clinic - I think it was sooooooooooooo bad compared to last year's clinic there are no words to describe it. I mean, OK, from Annihilator fan point of view, it was like third set, but from a guitar observer... come on, you can't just play a few of your songs with background music on playback, and then have Q&A stating "don't ask me any guitar stuff". Bad clinic was bad.
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
  • vaderite666
    Petty Officer

by vaderite666 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:28 am

Metal definitely lost another great musician that day.

Did anyone have the opportunity to meet Riot on the ship? By chance I was seated with them and the nicer restaurant (I can't remember the name). Some of the nicest people and a very talented band. I really hope they keep Mark's music alive by playing on.

Also-Immortal Soul is a GREAT album. I don't think it has been released yet in the U.S., but I was able to buy it in Europe earlier this year. I definitely recommend it.
    In Extremo/Saltatio Mortis/Old Man's Child/Cathedral/Thrudvangar/Thulcandra/Iron Fire/Hyberia/Catamenia/Eisbrecher/Varg/Forefather/Nomans Land/Accept/Angel Witch/Ghost/Burning Saviors/Electric Wizard/Hollenthon/Kalmah/Power Wolf/Black Pyramid/Running Wild
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:18 am

vaderite666 wrote:Did anyone have the opportunity to meet Riot on the ship? By chance I was seated with them and the nicer restaurant (I can't remember the name). Some of the nicest people and a very talented band. I really hope they keep Mark's music alive by playing on.

I saw Bobby inline as we were debarking but for whatever reason did go up to him.

I saw Don outside and thanked him for their performances and offered my condolences. He couldn't have been nicer or more appreciative :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:18 am

KevinP wrote:
    vaderite666 wrote:Did anyone have the opportunity to meet Riot on the ship? By chance I was seated with them and the nicer restaurant (I can't remember the name). Some of the nicest people and a very talented band. I really hope they keep Mark's music alive by playing on.

I saw Bobby inline as we were debarking but for whatever reason did go up to him.

I saw Don outside and thanked him for their performances and offered my condolences. He couldn't have been nicer or more appreciative :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I talked to Donny and Mike quite a bit on the ship but I found Bobby and Tony to be a bit more reserved (whenever I saw them). But as I found out last year, it really does depend on the time you meet them. Some times are better than others. I was so touched to have Mike approach me at my table at breakfast specifically to give me one of his picks and thank me for my support. It meant so much to me.

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 am

NuuX wrote: "don't ask me any guitar stuff". Bad clinic was bad.

He seriously said that? What a waste of time...
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:17 am

Jeff Waters is a total fucking douche clown and a disgrace to Canadians.

Both Riot sets were absolutely legendary and anyone who missed them should be ashamed of themselves because they were fucking glorious, totally deserving of all praise they receive. I hope they tour a bit more as a four-piece and donate proceeds to Mark's family or something, and then continue to make music together under a different name, because those guys are too good to just stop.
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:58 am

Element0s wrote:Jeff Waters is a total fucking douche clown and a disgrace to Canadians.

Both Riot sets were absolutely legendary and anyone who missed them should be ashamed of themselves because they were fucking glorious, totally deserving of all praise they receive. I hope they tour a bit more as a four-piece and donate proceeds to Mark's family or something, and then continue to make music together under a different name, because those guys are too good to just stop.

I agree on the second point but I'm curious about that first one. He did make fun of us a lot but hell I love making fun of Canadians. If anyone's a douche it's his singer (I couldn't get over that haircut).
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:55 am

NuuX wrote:PS: Regarding Jeff's clinic - I think it was sooooooooooooo bad compared to last year's clinic there are no words to describe it. I mean, OK, from Annihilator fan point of view, it was like third set, but from a guitar observer... come on, you can't just play a few of your songs with background music on playback, and then have Q&A stating "don't ask me any guitar stuff". Bad clinic was bad.

My recollection was that Jeff was asking for guitar-related questions, but didn't get much from the crowd. He even mentioned it when he got a decent one. Granted, not your typical clinic.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    kcanja14
    Crewman

by kcanja14 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm going to be a bitch... but if you want to complain about Jeff Waters start a freaking thread. This one was set up to remember a great musician. We don't need your comments here.

I am sincerely sorry that I missed the second Riot set, but their first was one was extremely good. I hope they continue to produce music despite their extremely tragic loss. RIP Mark Reale.
    2012/13/14: Survivor

Wishlist: -Alestorm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ayreon-/-Bolt.Thrower-/-Devin.Townsend.Project-/-Equilibrium-/-Firewind-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody.Of.Fire-/-Snowy.Shaw-/-Striker-/-Tarot-/-Therion-/-Unleash.The.Archers-/-Wintersun
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:28 pm

No offense intended to Mark whatsoever I am sure. Typically, no thread is fully 70K embraced until it has been derailed and rerailed a cpl times or more. I'm sure Mr Reale would approve of his thread consisting of mixups and bashing of another great musician's attempt to provide unique entertainment :lol:

Oh and, Jeff... You rock but you also suck! Them there's fightin words but I'll come atcha on FB or yer bombass Garmin thread instead of here ;)
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:34 pm

RERAIL

Did anyone take a video of any tributes done to Mark? Obviously Riot did, Virgin Steele, Hamerfall, anyone else?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for rerailing this thread back to important topic.

RIP and so sad. I think I found out after the cruise. Was surprise4d I did not hear about it on broad. But it makes me sad because the first time I saw Mark play was in 1980 on the Black and Blue Tour. Black Sabbath (with RJD) RIP, Molly Hatchet (with Danny Joe Brown (RIP)), and Riot...

A classmate of mine Dana passed away from Crohns at age 38 ten years ago.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Stained Class wrote:RERAIL

Did anyone take a video of any tributes done to Mark? Obviously Riot did, Virgin Steele, Hamerfall, anyone else?

Again (like the Fabio video) -- I have a perfect quality 'Glory to the Brave' Hammerfall tribute to Mark Reale that I have yet to upload because of my restricted upload speeds and the amount of time it takes to put things on YouTube.

I'll try to upload this one over night tonight and have it good to go in the morning. That was one of the best moments of the cruise IMO.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Ecliptica wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:RERAIL

Again (like the Fabio video) -- I have a perfect quality 'Glory to the Brave' Hammerfall tribute to Mark Reale that I have yet to upload because of my restricted upload speeds and the amount of time it takes to put things on YouTube.

I'll try to upload this one over night tonight and have it good to go in the morning. That was one of the best moments of the cruise IMO.

Cool, i was just wondering if neone had it, no rush on that!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
Post Reply 21 posts Page 1 of 1