Post Reply 174 posts
Which are you choosing: Barge to Hell OR 70K 2013 ?
  • Which cruise are you going on?

Barge to Hell - definite
    6%
    Barge to Hell - pending lineup
    5%
    70K 2013 - definite
    29%
    70K 2013 - pending lineup
    13%
    Both - definite
    7%
    Waiting to choose based on lineup
    36%
    Neither - due to finances
    2%
    Neither - due to other reasons
    3%

Total votes: 101
    KevinP
    Commander

Which are you choosing: Barge to Hell OR 70K 2013 ?

by KevinP » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm

Based on almost all the 2X veterans I've spoke with, most are taking a "wait and see" attitude towards future endeavors at this time. It makes sense though, after the 1st cruise we were all on such a high that we wanted to recapture that feeling again and were going to book no matter what. Now after 2 cruises, it's human nature that reality sets in and the brain calms down. Finances become a big issue for some and the want of a different experience for others.

My situation is that I really really want to go on Barge to Hell but will NEED certain bands for me guarantee it (My Dying Bride, Madder Mortem or Bolt Thrower)

Even though I like many styles of metal and enjoy the variety of bands and people it brings, I would like a better chance of seeing more "hard to see bands" on my wishlist. And an overwhelming majority of those bands fall into the death/thrash/doom spectrum.

Finances are an issue though. I can't really justify ANOTHER solo venture while our family doesn't take any "family trips". Was going to try and rope the wife into coming so it's at least a "alone time away from the kid", which we don't get enough of either. And she enjoys cruises and drinking. And maybe she'll be able to put a faces to names instead of hearing me tell her stories about this person and that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Absent of MY DYING BRIDE, MADDER MORTEM or BOLT THROWER (my brain tells me the more I repeat the names the more chance it can become a reality) I guess I would need a good chunk of the bands in my Signature.

What say you ?
    Last edited by KevinP on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Metalwrath

Re: Which are you choosing: Barge to Hell OR 70K 2013 ?

by Metalwrath » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm gonna wait and see.To be honest if they put 70000 tonnes of metal on a bigger ship i might opt with the barge.I'm uncomfortable at festivals with higher than 2k cap.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Metalwrath wrote:I'm gonna wait and see.To be honest if they put 70000 tonnes of metal on a bigger ship i might opt with the barge.I'm uncomfortable at festivals with higher than 2k cap.

Oh the glorious joy of seeing you on a extreme metal cruise. The pure joy I would have.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Barge is going to be on the Majesty, I thought there was talk of 70K being on a larger/different ship.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Wow. First and only so far for definite on Barge.

Now before, more out of frustration than anything else with delay in announcements (whatever, this is the UMC "time frame" that one has to respect when booking which is fine) I was in the "we'll see who gets booked" category but from all of the rumored bands, I can see Barge being it for me. Which mean I would not be on 70K. Argh. I wish I knew the bands.

Right now I would say definite due to the rumors and wanting a smaller ship.

I'm gonna miss everyone who decides to go on 70K instead :cry:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    ZnIpE !
    Wiper

by ZnIpE ! » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:27 pm

I'd do 70k again, since i like the varied bill. .
    But then again, i don't care _that_ much about which bands they rope in, since there is always going to be something worth listening to.

If i go back, it will be for the same reason as every other festival - the people ! (I'll accept a roaring cheer now)
    The mood and atmosphere on a metal festival is what gets me there, the bands are really just a big bonus :)
    I buy so many festival tickets without even looking at the lineup . . It's all about the mood and the experience.

So, if i go again - it's all your fault ! ! !

:metalguy:
    Viking Lord and Professional drunkard, will entertain for beer.

Face: http://www.facebook.com/Zn1pE
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Depends on the lineup, but more likely I'll do 70k since I like all kinds of metal.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:37 pm

KevinP wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote:I'm gonna wait and see.To be honest if they put 70000 tonnes of metal on a bigger ship i might opt with the barge.I'm uncomfortable at festivals with higher than 2k cap.

Oh the glorious joy of seeing you on a extreme metal cruise. The pure joy I would have.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Barge is going to be on the Majesty, I thought there was talk of 70K being on a larger/different ship.

I heard the same thing Kevin - one of the staff mentioned that they were doing it on a "bigger ship" next year. That would be a big 'negative' for me as I think the size of the Majesty is perfect. If the ship was bigger, I would need to see a reduction in cost for it to be an option for me.

Maybe if the dates are changed slightly (ie. not the first week of the school year for us), and maybe if there are about 15 bands from my wishlist added I'll consider it. But at this stage, unfortunately, its a definite NO :cry:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:47 pm

I will be on 70K 2013 if it happens for sure!
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:52 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:I will be on 70K 2013 if it happens for sure!

Me too!
    I should get around to updating my signature
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:54 pm

on paper, the barge seems up my alley, but... the rumored bands thusfar don't draw me in, and 70k actually managed to give me a perfect balance of bands I was crazy happy to see and free time... so, barring announcements yet made, 70k seems more likely...

...of course, Metalfest Croatia is on my radar as well
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    kvanderwyk
    Crewman

by kvanderwyk » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:58 pm

I think it will depend on the lineup for me, but it will be really hard to not go on 70K again just because the atmosphere on that boat was so fucking amazing! If a heavier lineup changed the feel of the boat I don't think I would want it, even if I would prefer the bands. The hard part will be convincing my BF to pick 70K over the Barge because he was really wanting a heavier lineup for 70K already, so he's very excited about the idea of the Barge. Hmmmmmmm!
    70K 2012 Survivor
    70K 2013 Wishlist: Allegaeon|Amon Amarth|Bolt Thrower|Dark Tranquility|Devin|Dimmu Borgir|Ensiferum|Equilibrium|Fleshgod Apocalypse|Forefather|Ghost|Gojira|Katatonia|Obscura|Revocation|Scar Symmetry|Týr|Vildhjarta|Wintersun
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:04 pm

cowboy71 wrote:I heard the same thing Kevin - one of the staff mentioned that they were doing it on a "bigger ship" next year. That would be a big 'negative' for me as I think the size of the Majesty is perfect. If the ship was bigger, I would need to see a reduction in cost for it to be an option for me.

Maybe if the dates are changed slightly (ie. not the first week of the school year for us), and maybe if there are about 15 bands from my wishlist added I'll consider it. But at this stage, unfortunately, its a definite NO :cry:

I agree that getting it any larger COULD hurt the intimate vibe. I guess UMC knows that a varied bill will bring in more people so can sell out a larger boat (they have the sales numbers that we don't have access to).

And I'd be surprised if 70K 2013 was in January again. I don't think they can count on 2 completely separate customer bases. So between giving time for some people to have $$$ for both, if they get a different ship and port, they would have a different time frame. (it would burn my britches if it went out of Port Canaveral, which is 45 minutes from my house) :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:13 pm

70k 2013 definite for me. Don't care about what bands are announced. Would hate if it moved to a bigger boat though.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:28 pm

i didn't choose it but if the lineups are at all decent you can count me in for BOTH.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Neck-Wrecker
    Petty Officer

by Neck-Wrecker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Ecliptica wrote:70k 2013 definite for me. Don't care about what bands are announced. Would hate if it moved to a bigger boat though.

A bigger boat wouldn't bother me so long as the cap wasn't rediculous. Are we talking 4000+ sailors? I would need to know those details before making a decison.

If the boat remains the same, and I can scrap enough cash....I will be there
    Wishlist: HYPOCRISY, INTESTINE BAALISM, SIGH, MANOWAR, IMMORTAL, EQUILIBRIUM, MUNICIPAL WASTE, ACCEPT, HEATHEN, HOLY GRAIL, MANEGARM, PAGAN REIGN, DISMEMBER

Josh
    Ogre
    Petty Officer

by Ogre » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 pm

vikingbitch wrote:Wow. First and only so far for definite on Barge.

Two, now. Actually, four, since I'll bring the girls with, as well.
    :deathmetal: :deathmetal: :deathmetal: :deathmetal: :deathmetal: :deathmetal: :deathmetal:
    2012 - You never forget your first time. And MDB.
    Barge - Ruled. Period.
    2015 - Booked early, soft lineup.
    2016 - Awesome. Best lineup since Barge.
    2018 - Great time.
    2020 - Hypocrisy or bust.
    nikki1077
    Oiler

by nikki1077 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm

If they stager the two cruises out a bit, I'll try to do both, but barge sounds like a for sure thing for me.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:12 pm

nikki1077 wrote:If they stager the two cruises out a bit, I'll try to do both, but barge sounds like a for sure thing for me.

Hi Nikki! it was nice hanging with you for a bit in the coming SOON special surprise event :mrgreen:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 pm

I would like to go on both but that is not likely to happen because of the expense. I am planning on 70K. Not too excited about a bigger boat either. If Immortal and Dimmu Borgir are on Barge to Hell I may have to rob a bank or something. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 am

Which ever one AHAB plays on.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    CaptOblivious
    Ensign

by CaptOblivious » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:26 am

i will be on both regardless BTH 2013 and 70k 2014 are when i will pick one or the other
    You can't have slaughter without laughter
    2012-cabin # 4519
    2012-BtH cabin# 2563
    2013-cabin # 3015
    2014-cabin # 2515
    2015-cabin # 8659
    Merch Whore .... you name it at a show ill try to buy it >.>
    Hockeyagi 2013 champ
    WallieWallie
    Chief Petty Officer

by WallieWallie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 am

Cost is an important factor as the flight to Miami is almost the same price for me as a ticket to get onbroad. And taking time off when you also got a relationship abroad is going to be quite a thingie. So doing both is a definite NO for me.

Knowing my girlfriend wants to come with me next time. And knowing the style of metal she is into. Then BTH is not up her alley so 70ToM it would be then. Personally I like the variety in styles of metal as well.

Now if the rumour is true it will be held on a bigger ship...then I would say MY BOAT SUCKS!!! I'm fine with the size as it is right now.

Personally I like to see all my favourite forumites on the same cruise as me. But I know this can't be done every year...adding more (different style) cruises will only divide us I fear. :| <- that one is for you DrinkMoxie.

//EDIT//
    BTW, the skipper might want to rethink his marketing strategy concerning the bandannouncements. Especially if there are multiple cruises and people start to decide which one to take bandwise.
    Survivor: 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2017 / 2018 / 2020
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:46 am

I plan on doing both, barring any financial issues. Considering that I don't have to worry about the added expense of airfare and hotels, I can just use the money to pay for the cruise itself. And needless to say, Pre and Post Parties all around :heavydrink:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    angelyuyo
    Petty Officer

by angelyuyo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:38 am

Already going this fall to disney land with my wife and kid 2 weeks so,time off work would
    Be an issue for me so I stay with 70K.i like variety too. :lol:
    2011DONE
    2012 DONE
    BARGE TO HELL DONE
    2013 DONE
    2014 DONE
    2015 DONE
    2016 BEST LINEUP EVER DONE
    2017 DONE
    2018DONE
    2019 Done
    2020 I need my booking code
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:41 am

While I initially thought the Barge was a no-brainer, after attending 70K this year, I don't know. There were plenty of bands I didn't want to see on 70K, and I still had difficulty getting to all the shows I wanted to see. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to see 40+ bands I want to see, since I'm assuming it's more in my sweet spot.

I don't really like the idea of a bigger ship, now that I've seen what more people entails.

However, with both, I want to see how the lineups shape up. And with the dates so close together, I wouldn't be surprised if 70K gives it a miss until 2014. (Or has that rumor already been shot down?)
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:06 am

I hope I can make it to Barge To Hell :)

More the genres that I like! :)
    www.metal-exposure.com
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 am

EvilDan wrote:However, with both, I want to see how the lineups shape up. And with the dates so close together, I wouldn't be surprised if 70K gives it a miss until 2014. (Or has that rumor already been shot down?)

Interesting point as I never even thought of that as a possibility. I just don't see cruises happening in December and then January. No idea when they will divulge details about 70K 2013 as time is already ticking re: Barge details.

Maybe another question would be: IF 70K wasn't until mid 2013 or beyond, are you doing both, or not waiting and going for Barge?

I'm not too worried about Barge having "too many" bands I want to see. That would be a nice problem to have. Plus there are plenty of crappy bands in every genre that I can't stand and will easily skip.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:14 am

EvilDan wrote:However, with both, I want to see how the lineups shape up. And with the dates so close together, I wouldn't be surprised if 70K gives it a miss until 2014. (Or has that rumor already been shot down?)

I've been curious about that too. Once UMC gets home and a bit settled I intend on finding out whether or not a 70K cruise is in the plans for 2013. If 70K is indeed on hold until 2014, I'd consider the Barge to Hell. Then again, it may be a good thing to miss a year. I can use the money and time to go to one of the many places around the world I'd like to visit.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:24 am

I think a bigger cruise would not just be more uncomortable for fans but also for the bands aswell and that should be taken into consideration.
    There is one very negative for me about the Barge to hell about the time of year though.It's in December the busiest time of the year.I know myself and a lot of others could have a very hard time getting a week off during that month of trade.
    Ogre
    Petty Officer

by Ogre » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:38 am

Given the rumor about a 70K hiatus, perhaps UMC will begin alternating cruises from year to year: Barge one year featuring death/black/thrash metal, and 70K the next featuring more power metal acts with a little variety sprinkled in. Maybe that would also create a bit more demand from bands given that their genre' would be represented only once every two years, and make it easier on UMC to book acts now that they're focusing on genre' a bit more, but doing so every other year rather than annually. I, too, think it's unlikely for Barge to cruise in Nov/Dec then turn around and have another 70K in Jan. But, we'll see. If Barge & 70K cruises are alternating every year, then I'll be doing both, that much is certain. :headbanger:
    Barge - Ruled. Period.
    2018 - Great time.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:46 am

Ogre wrote:Given the rumor about a 70K hiatus, perhaps UMC will begin alternating cruises from year to year: Barge one year featuring death/black/thrash metal, and 70K the next featuring more power metal acts with a little variety sprinkled in. Maybe that would also create a bit more demand from bands given that their genre' would be represented only once every two years, and make it easier on UMC to book acts now that they're focusing on genre' a bit more, but doing so every other year rather than annually. I, too, think it's unlikely for Barge to cruise in Nov/Dec then turn around and have another 70K in Jan. But, we'll see. If Barge & 70K cruises are alternating every year, then I'll be doing both, that much is certain. :headbanger:

Where is this rumour from? This is the first I've heard of it. That wouldn't be a horrible idea I suppose.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:51 am

Stained Class wrote:
    Ogre wrote:Given the rumor about a 70K hiatus, perhaps UMC will begin alternating cruises from year to year: Barge one year featuring death/black/thrash metal, and 70K the next featuring more power metal acts with a little variety sprinkled in. Maybe that would also create a bit more demand from bands given that their genre' would be represented only once every two years, and make it easier on UMC to book acts now that they're focusing on genre' a bit more, but doing so every other year rather than annually. I, too, think it's unlikely for Barge to cruise in Nov/Dec then turn around and have another 70K in Jan. But, we'll see. If Barge & 70K cruises are alternating every year, then I'll be doing both, that much is certain. :headbanger:

Where is this rumour from? This is the first I've heard of it. That wouldn't be a horrible idea I suppose.

Yeah I've never heard any rumor about it, just some random hypotheticals from random people like myself.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:53 am

Well, I chose Barge to Hell (pending line-up) - mainly because of a few of the rumored bands (Immortal and/or Dimmu would be an insta-sale for me! :beerhorns: ), plus after two 70K ToM, I think it would be cool to do something different.

But, having said that....part of me kinda wants to do something completely different. I did five major metal fests in the past two and half years (2 Wackens, 1 Hole in the Sky, and 2 70K ToM)....and god, did I have a great time!

But, shit...I'm gonna be 51 this year, and although I hope to live another 50 :P .....my time is certainly more limited than it once was, and several deaths of friends around my age in the past few years underscored that thought. :? :death: :beerwink: :lol: I've got several festivals I still want to experience (remember the "bucket list" thread? :P ) such as return to my 70s hippie freak roots at Burning Man in Nevada http://www.burningman.com/ , return to my 80s goth roots at Wave Gotik Treffen in Leipzig http://www.wave-gotik-treffen.de/english/ and last, but top on my list....dance with the nomads at The Festival of the Desert in Africa (pending security concerns in the region of course) http://www.festival-au-desert.org/

Add to that....in 5.5 years, we'll have 2 kids in college, so those looming expenses are pretty daunting..... :beerwink:

But, as I always say.....if you can dream it, you can do it!!!!
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Ogre
    Petty Officer

by Ogre » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:53 am

Stained Class wrote:Where is this rumour from? This is the first I've heard of it. That wouldn't be a horrible idea I suppose.

What Dan, Kev & Moo are talking about above. It's probably all just idle speculation, but it gives us something to do until we get on the next boat. :D :cheers:
    Barge - Ruled. Period.
    2018 - Great time.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:14 am

Ogre wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Where is this rumour from? This is the first I've heard of it. That wouldn't be a horrible idea I suppose.

What Dan, Kev & Moo are talking about above. It's probably all just idle speculation, but it gives us something to do until we get on the next boat. :D :cheers:

True, any rumour has merit until there's an official announcement. Someone told me we'll get more BTH information in a week or so and last year 70k was announced around easter weekend.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:58 am

Stained Class wrote:
    Ogre wrote:

True, any rumour has merit until there's an official announcement. Someone told me we'll get more BTH information in a week or so and last year 70k was announced around easter weekend.

Well first night when Laura and I met Andy he said they were announcing tons of bands for Barge and Barge announcement the week we were on the cruise. After patiently ( :lol: ) waiting in Boleros during that teasing time slot of "SOOOON..." I had run into Andy again and many were firing questions at him. He said very clearly that we would get bands announced in 10 days. I'm not holding my breath but its hope and damn it, I will take it.
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Ogre
    Petty Officer

by Ogre » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:00 am

vikingbitch wrote:Well first night when Laura and I met Andy he said they were announcing tons of bands for Barge and Barge announcement the week we were on the cruise. After patiently ( :lol: ) waiting in Boleros during that teasing time slot of "SOOOON..." I had run into Andy again and many were firing questions at him. He said very clearly that we would get bands announced in 10 days. I'm not holding my breath but its hope and damn it, I will take it.

Marlo to the rescue. :cheers: 4 :viking: :bitch:
    Barge - Ruled. Period.
    2018 - Great time.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:17 am

Laura wrote:Well, I chose Barge to Hell (pending line-up) - mainly because of Kevin choosing this one

Sound logic if you ask me :death: :lol: :death:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Mika
    Wiper

by Mika » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:53 am

I still don't know if it is a good idea to have two similar events like this. What I liked about 70k is the mix of genres and not being limited to one type of music.
    A cruise like this will probably be a once-a-year event for us, and we'll just choose the one with the lineup that fits our taste. Which is sad, since it splits the community a bit, because I am sure that not everybody can afford two big fat cruises per year.
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 am

Kevin,

I brought my wife (non-metal fan) with me on the this year's 70K cruise and it worked out wonderfully. She chilled on 7 or the room to read and relax and I got to "be metal." I don't have kids (yet) though so that would probably be an issue. You would personally need to sacrifice some time to not be as social to spend time with the fam, but it's better than not going. I realize it's also alot more money to bring the fam...... depends on your financial situation.

-------------

I'm very confused on Barge to Hell Vs. 70K. At first I thought Barge was only extreme death and black metal fans, which I am mostly not a fan of. However, when I'm reading Barge also includes Thrash and Doom (my favorite subgenres) I start getting really confused.

Would a band like Amorphis be on 70K or Barge? What about My Dying Bride? What about Testament? What about a band like Arch Enemy or Moonspell? It's all band related to me. Where do these bands fit? I hope it's a clear choice for me. Very concerned about this. I also have no issue with 70K being on a bigger boat ESPECIALLY if the 3rd stage is bigger / higher and Johnny Rockets was replaced with something else :)
Post Reply 174 posts