Post Reply 148 posts
NO Smoking in the Spectrum lounge
  • NO Smoking in the Spectrum lounge?

1) PLEASE NO SMOKING! It is WAAY to smokey in the Spectrum lounge for non-smokers like me.
    71%
    2) PLEASE NO SMOKING! It is WAAY to smokey in the Spectrum lounge even for a SMOKER like me.
    9%
    3) I don't care either way.
    13%
    4) No, I would rather we continue to allow smoking in the Spectrum lounge. I can't go a whole 45 min without one.
    8%

Total votes: 79
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

Re: NO Smoking in the Spectrum lounge

by EvilDan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:10 am

KevinP wrote:
    stoverkill wrote:This is why I think our family would be a lot happier if we just took it to Kevin's cabin and smoked in there.

I'm never there, so if that's the compromise that needs to be made, I'll take one for the "Clear Lungs Team" :headbanger: :lol: :headbanger:

And Dan still seems to take me literally even after meeting me. :shock: :? :shock:

Sorry, Kevin. Sometimes I'm unsure, as text is a poor communication medium. I guess it's just a hot button for me, and I was already a bit irritated by other things, and lately I seem to keep running into people that have no concept of individual freedom.

Not wanting to get into a whole political discussion about it, but it should be up to the business to determine whether or not they allow smoking. Don't like their policy? Go somewhere else. You have the freedom to choose to skip something. Yes, smoke smells, is annoying, stings my eyes, etc., but it's all blown out of proportion. If being in The Spectrum for numerous shows, as I was, had the cumulative effect of 1 cigarette, I would have had a heart attack. I didn't.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:28 am

EvilDan wrote: If being in The Spectrum for numerous shows, as I was, had the cumulative effect of 1 cigarette, I would have had a heart attack. I didn't.

:lol: You my dear, just won points with that comment!

We're starting to get off topic folks, I'm finding it somewhat ironic that its the smokers being/wanting to be considerate of other people in this thread at this point and it has turned into just bashing smoking and those who choose to partake. At the end of the day its a choice, as much as you don't like other people's decisions you still have to respect them.

Play nice "children" :P
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:10 am

EvilDan wrote:Sorry, Kevin. Sometimes I'm unsure, as text is a poor communication medium. I guess it's just a hot button for me, and I was already a bit irritated by other things, and lately I seem to keep running into people that have no concept of individual freedom.

No worries, eh (as Marlo, Rob, Jeff, Jake, etc, would say) :lol: It doesn't bother me, just didn't want you to get all worked up over it for no reason, that's all :mrgreen:

vikingbitch wrote:We're starting to get off topic folks, I'm finding it somewhat ironic that its the smokers being/wanting to be considerate of other people in this thread at this point and it has turned into just bashing smoking and those who choose to partake. At the end of the day its a choice, as much as you don't like other people's decisions you still have to respect them.

Play nice "children" :P

I do find it refreshing that most/all of the smokers are considerate (in this thread). I may not agree with the choice at all (huge understatement) but I'm totally biased and closed minded when it comes to the talk of non smokers having to deal with the smoke in any way shape or form. But like 99% of what I post, I'm busting chops and not intending to rag on anyone or have it be a personal attack. :D

Though I still wouldn't be adverse to beating you with an organic carrot if it came to that :lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:58 am

EvilDan wrote:Not wanting to get into a whole political discussion about it, but it should be up to the business to determine whether or not they allow smoking. Don't like their policy? Go somewhere else. You have the freedom to choose to skip something.

Agreed but we also have the right as a customer base to try and influence the company's decision (though it's most likely up to Royal Caribbean in the end), which is why we are trying to voice our concerns here. The go somewhere else comment is kind of unfortunate since 70K is the only major cruise option in town right now.

That being said, if smoking continues in the Spectrum, as I expect it will, I'm not going to avoid booking the cruise, I'll just do whatever I can to avoid the Spectrum. Hopefully UMC can do something about the running order so no band has to play in there twice.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:45 am

Another thread brought this to my attention. The smoke in the spectrum was fine, I can deal with it. No more smoke in the Chorus Line!!!! (you know, that big non smoking venue on the ship? That one.)
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Eternity
    Petty Officer

by Eternity » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:59 am

Stained Class wrote:Another thread brought this to my attention. The smoke in the spectrum was fine, I can deal with it. No more smoke in the Chorus Line!!!! (you know, that big non smoking venue on the ship? That one.)

That probably annoyed me more than anything. Walking into a smoking venue - my choice, I knew what I was getting myself into. But those big signs were just decoration, I guess.
    Non-Repeat Wishlist: Apocalyptica, Cellador, Gloryhammer, Haggard, Mortemia, Northern Kings, Powerglove, Rhapsody/Of Fire, Sirenia, Tarot, The Unguided, Van Canto, Viathyn, Violet Sun, Wintersun
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:08 pm

KevinP wrote:Though I still wouldn't be adverse to beating you with an organic carrot if it came to that :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you get carrots, I'll counter with tomatoes. 70K food fight next year anyone? :lol:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
  • Yost
    Oiler

by Yost » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Eternity wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Another thread brought this to my attention. The smoke in the spectrum was fine, I can deal with it. No more smoke in the Chorus Line!!!! (you know, that big non smoking venue on the ship? That one.)

That probably annoyed me more than anything. Walking into a smoking venue - my choice, I knew what I was getting myself into. But those big signs were just decoration, I guess.

Probably what annoyed me the most on the entire cruise. You could be somewhere enjoying a show, in a non-smoking area, then someone would come in, sit down a row over and light up. I even saw people out out cigs on carpeted floors on the ship. I just will never get it.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:09 am

mooyagi wrote:The go somewhere else comment is kind of unfortunate since 70K is the only major cruise option in town right now.

I didn't mean the whole cruise, just the Spectrum.

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 am

EvilDan wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:The go somewhere else comment is kind of unfortunate since 70K is the only major cruise option in town right now.

Gotcha. It's a fair comment then, as long as we have the option to see each band outside of the smoking lounge.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:13 am

mooyagi wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:

Gotcha. It's a fair comment then, as long as we have the option to see each band outside of the smoking lounge.

Which we didn't. I think Channel Zero, Sapiency, Tristania, and maybe one or 2 others only played the spectrum. I didn't care for any of them neways. :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 am

Stained Class wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:I didn't mean the whole cruise, just the Spectrum.

Which we didn't. I think Channel Zero, Sapiency, Tristania, and maybe one or 2 others only played the spectrum. I didn't care for any of them neways. :mrgreen:

According to the running order posted on the 70K site, the following bands played in the Spectrum twice:

Pestilence
    Vicious Rumors
    Moonsorrow
    Sapiency
    Diamond Plate
    Tristania
    Riot
    Channel Zero

I think that's all of them
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 am

Just for shits and giggles, here are the bands from 2011 that played twice in The Spectrum Lounge:

Circle II Circle
    Witchburner
    The Absence
    Blackguard

Only 4 in 2011 compared to 8 in 2012
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:38 am

I was kind of dissapointed Moonsorrow only played in the spectrum.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:49 am

I think it has something to do with the negotiations. Every band gets a different deal for playing the cruise (nicer room vs. more money) and I think they get to say which stage(s) they would prefer to play. That's why some bands only played the spectrum versus playing spectrum and pool deck and Kamelot, for example, only played the theater. Some bands might have prefered to only play the smaller venue, or some prefered only bigger so that gives smaller bands the shaft. That's my theory anyways.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 am

Jebus_Cripes wrote:I was kind of dissapointed Moonsorrow only played in the spectrum.

Me too! And it wasn't their choice, they didn't know where they were playing until the running order came out. We talked to Mitja the morning before the cruise and he told us that they were quite disappointed that they were not going to play on the pool deck.
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 am

MadameLePink wrote:
    Jebus_Cripes wrote:I was kind of dissapointed Moonsorrow only played in the spectrum.

Me too! And it wasn't their choice, they didn't know where they were playing until the running order came out. We talked to Mitja the morning before the cruise and he told us that they were quite disappointed that they were not going to play on the pool deck.

Could be they got bumped by bigger bands, or could be completely random with the schedule and that's just how it worked out.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:01 am

Stained Class wrote:
    MadameLePink wrote:

Could be they got bumped by bigger bands, or could be completely random with the schedule and that's just how it worked out.

I'm sure the delay the first night out on the pool deck had something to do with it as well....
    SURVIVOR:
    70K1 | 70K2 | BTH | 70K3 | 70K4 | 70K5 | 70K6 | 70K7 | 70K8 | 70K9

WISH LIST: Dust Bolt | Toxic Holocaust | Lich King | Violator | Bewitcher | Haunt | Hellfire | Nuclear Assault | Xentrix | Hatchet | Power Trip | Terrifier
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:22 am

Stained Class wrote:
    MadameLePink wrote:

I have an idea that Moonsorrow's management or booking agency does not do a very good job for them. They always get the bad spots/stages and the bad time slots. Smaller bands ofter gets better deals than them :(

But I guess Therion must have someone good working for them as I think they were the only band playing the pool deck twice!
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 am

MadameLePink wrote:But I guess Therion must have someone good working for them as I think they were the only band playing the pool deck twice!

According to the running order online, that appears to be the case! I don't believe anyone played outside twice last year
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:37 am

MadameLePink wrote:I have an idea that Moonsorrow's management or booking agency does not do a very good job for them. They always get the bad spots/stages and the bad time slots. Smaller bands ofter gets better deals than them :(

But I guess Therion must have someone good working for them as I think they were the only band playing the pool deck twice!

Yeah, I saw them at Wacken and they played the main stage at noon. The crowd had no energy. Their first set in the spectrum was fucking great though!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:02 am

Stained Class wrote:
    MadameLePink wrote:I have an idea that Moonsorrow's management or booking agency does not do a very good job for them. They always get the bad spots/stages and the bad time slots. Smaller bands ofter gets better deals than them :(

Yeah, I saw them at Wacken and they played the main stage at noon. The crowd had no energy. Their first set in the spectrum was fucking great though!

Yeah, the first set was really awesome :mrgreen: But they are a solid band, they always deliver a good show no matter where they are or what time it is :)
    Btw I never managed to say hello to you on the boat. I saw you a few times from a distance but never close enough!

Beer and bananas!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:06 am

MadameLePink wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

Yeah, the first set was really awesome :mrgreen: But they are a solid band, they always deliver a good show no matter where they are or what time it is :)
    Btw I never managed to say hello to you on the boat. I saw you a few times from a distance but never close enough!

Did we not have a short talk up on the sports deck when everyone was meeting eachother? I was drunk so... :mrgreen: next time.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:13 am

Stained Class wrote:
    MadameLePink wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Yeah, I saw them at Wacken and they played the main stage at noon. The crowd had no energy. Their first set in the spectrum was fucking great though!

Did we not have a short talk up on the sports deck when everyone was meeting eachother? I was drunk so... :mrgreen: next time.

I am quite sure we never talked, but I wasn't completely sober either, so I might be wrong... :party:

Beer and bananas!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:17 am

MadameLePink wrote:I am quite sure we never talked, but I wasn't completely sober either, so I might be wrong... :party:

Either way, I'll make sure to say hi next year!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:25 am

Yeah we did talk at that meeting, but all in Swinnish.

Skippis! :heavydrink:
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:52 am

Tuup wrote:Yeah we did talk at that meeting, but all in Swinnish.

Skippis! :heavydrink:

A very alcoholic language :bangers: Sköl!

Beer and bananas!
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:06 pm

I don't even remember what was exactly discussed at that table, but I do remember that the bottom of my first bottle of wodka was already in sight and a lot of hilarious bullshit was going over that table :mrgreen:
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Tuup wrote:I don't even remember what was exactly discussed at that table, but I do remember that the bottom of my first bottle of wodka was already in sight and a lot of hilarious bullshit was going over that table :mrgreen:

Me neither, but it was lots of fun :party:

Beer and bananas!
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 pm

EvilDan wrote:
    KevinP wrote:
    stoverkill wrote:You really are a commie bastard. :smoking:

No, I'm just right. It's not being an elitist or close minded when you're right :death: :P :death:

It is when you FORCE others into your idea of what is "right". I hate smoking, but I would never limit anyone's freedom just because it makes me uncomfortable.

It's a lost cause now anyway because too many people are willing to give (really have already given) up other people's freedoms for their own selfish reasons.

Those willing to give up freedom for security will receive, and deserve, neither. - Ben Franklin

Once again, I'm with you EvilDan! No wonder we got along on the cruise so well. :cheers:
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:39 am

In general I agree with you that it is preferable to let everyone make their own choices, but with the addition that it should not trouble others. In fact, so many smokers in a small room limit other people's freedom as well: during the last night, I was forced to leave Boleros a lot of times because I physically couldn't handle the huge amount of smoke in there anymore. Every time I walked back in I started feeling sick again. Looking at the votes in this topic, it seems I'm not the only one who really has problems with it.
    Last edited by Tuup on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:54 am

Agreed, the smokers have the right to smoke, but the rest of us have the right to smokefree air. It's like saying mooyagi has the right to fart in public, in elevators, everywhere, and we shouldn't complain about it because we'd be limiting his freedom. :lol:
    It's not like 70k was advertised as "70,000 tons of metal - the world's biggest smoking festival". No-one's asking for complete ban on smoking (well, Kevin might). And yes, there were restrictions on smoking and some inconsiderate smokers didn't obey. It should be the other smokers taking care that people only smoke where it's allowed.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:04 am

Memnoch wrote:Agreed, the smokers have the right to smoke, but the rest of us have the right to smokefree air. It's like saying mooyagi has the right to fart in public, in elevators, everywhere, and we shouldn't complain about it because we'd be limiting his freedom. :lol:
    It's not like 70k was advertised as "70,000 tons of metal - the world's biggest smoking festival". No-one's asking for complete ban on smoking (well, Kevin might). And yes, there were restrictions on smoking and some inconsiderate smokers didn't obey. It should be the other smokers taking care that people only smoke where it's allowed.

I was looking for a 'like' button, but there's only one with 'quote' on it, so I'll use that one instead ;)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:04 am

Exactly. The idea of everyone being completely free to do whatever they want sounds like a great thing, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Like it or not, we do not all exist within our own independent bubbles, we live in society, we share our personal space with many, many others. We have to come to decisions as a collective group that we feel benefit the most people in the end. Again, I'd be fine with a compromise that allows the smokers to have a place where they can light up to see a show, I just think it would be unfair if I don't have the option to see one of the bands I paid for perform outside of that venue.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:52 am

There seems to be some confusion between freedom and rights. I suggest a completely independent thread elsewhere, if people seriously want to debate it. I'm under the weather at the moment, so I'm not thinking clearly enough to articulate what I want to say.

stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:14 am

I never intended this to be an ideological debate. The poll was a simple up or down vote... smoke or no smoke in the Spectrum.
    SURVIVOR:

WISH LIST: Dust Bolt | Toxic Holocaust | Lich King | Violator | Bewitcher | Haunt | Hellfire | Nuclear Assault | Xentrix | Hatchet | Power Trip | Terrifier
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:16 am

stoverkill wrote:I never intended this to be an ideological debate. The poll was a simple up or down vote... smoke or no smoke in the Spectrum.

But that's boring. I want arguments damn it!
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:22 am

mooyagi wrote:
    stoverkill wrote:I never intended this to be an ideological debate. The poll was a simple up or down vote... smoke or no smoke in the Spectrum.

No you don't!
    SURVIVOR:

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:23 am

stoverkill wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

No you don't!

Yes I do!
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:40 am

:smoking:
    SURVIVOR: