Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1
Any other U.S. Marines going on BTH?
    Skwizgar
    Petty Officer

Any other U.S. Marines going on BTH?

by Skwizgar » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:16 am

Because the Barge is headed for New Providence, where the Continental Marines made the United State's first amphibious assault 236 years ago on 3 March 1776. They took Fort Nassau and Fort Montague without firing a shot or having to hurt anyone, nabbed a bunch of ordnance and ammo, captured the British governor (but we were nice to him, my British fellow metalheads), and then sailed back to the colonies (probably drunk as monkeys on British Rum). I'm planning on going to old Fort Nassau and Fort Montague to take pictures to share with my old USMC buddies. I'm planning on getting spun up on the history of the operation so I can have an understanding of what happened and where, in order to take the most meaningful and interesting photographs, so I guess that might make me an unofficial tour guide. The offer's open to anyone else who's a history nut like me.

Here's an idea of what happened there (From Leatherneck Magazine online):

"Marines took Nassau in amphibious assault

By Don Burzynski
    Special to the Times

At the onset of the American Revolution, Congress, particularly the New England delegates, insisted on having a continental fleet. The Southern delegates balked at the idea but approved it if the fleet’s first mission would be an incursion on the British Bahamas, in what would become the Marine Corps’ first amphibious assault.
    New Providence, the capital, was known to have a huge arsenal of artillery, ammunition and military equipment.

Marine Capt. Samuel Nicolas commanded the 234 Marines on board the six ships — Alfred, Columbus, Andrea Doria, Cabot, Hornet and Wasp.

In early 1776, the fleet set sail for the Bahamas from the Delaware Capes near Philadelphia. Nassau was the administrative center of the islands with a defense of 300 provisional militia.

The Americans anchored 50 miles north of Nassau. Fort Nassau and Fort Montagu protected the city on the west and east. With these two forts, the British considered the island their strongest possession in North America.

Three ships surprised the town while the other ships kept out of sight. The Marines stayed hidden below deck until loading for the amphibious assault.

On March 3, after hearing of the nearby fleet, the island’s governor sounded the alarm with three cannons, which promptly collapsed on their mounts. Fifty sailors and 234 Marines landed in whaleboats at New Guinea, two miles east of Fort Montagu. The landing was unopposed.

The British meanwhile spiked all the cannon except three guns. This would have been the perfect moment to resist the Americans, but the moment was lost.

The British retreated to Fort Nassau and asked their black slaves to fight alongside them. A few agreed and were armed with pistols. Marine Lt. John Trevett, under a flag of truce, told the townspeople that the American forces were coming for the stores and would spare the town.

The next day, the Marines took Fort Nassau without firing a shot. The flag of the United Colonies was run up in place of the British colors. Marines captured the governor, who appeared to be ready to escape.

The Marines also captured a total of 46 iron cannons, 140 hand grenades, 9,831 round shot, 154 bolts of double-headed shot, 11 canisters of grape, two mortars, 24 barrels of powder, 220 gun carriages and 355 British pounds sterling.

On March 16, the Marines embarked for home. By attacking outside the continental United States, the Americans had internationalized the war. British supremacy on the sea was challenged, and Marine amphibious assaults were possible anywhere."

:viking: <-- Old School Marines

Cpl. Wilson, S.M
    1983-1987; 1990-1991
    0352 Infantry Anti-Tank Assaultman
    2nd Marine Division Combat Squadleader: Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Desert Calm

Amon Amarth - Gorgoroth - (the reanimated corps of) Celtic Frost - Bloodhag -[b] [b]- um, what where we talking about?
  • Laura
    Commander

Re: Any other U.S. Marines going on BTH?

by Laura » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:26 pm

^^^
    Very cool Steve!
    You know I'm a big history nut as well, so I definitely will consider taking you up on your tour offer.
    :cheers:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Skwizgar
    Petty Officer

by Skwizgar » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Awesome, Laura. Of course, I just read recent tourists reviews on Google about how Ft. Montagu (the proper spelling , apparently) smelled of urine and the area was was strewn with random clothing, used condoms and empty beer bottles, so be warned: Not much has changed since the Marines were last there. Apparently, tradition prevails in the Bahamas.

Meh. Maybe we should just go molest, er, pet dolphins.
    Amon Amarth - Gorgoroth - (the reanimated corps of) Celtic Frost - Bloodhag -[b] [b]- um, what where we talking about?
  • Lil' Stovie
    Oiler

by Lil' Stovie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:25 pm

me like jerky, not spambotz
    Rocking in my crib and eating dead animals
Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1