Post Reply 4880 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2013 Megathread
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21294
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by mooyagi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 am

    last_candle wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Kate just reminded me, wasn't there a jam session with Jeff on the previous 70K too?

    it's either yes or no :lol:
    there was a workshop, but a jam session? I don't know...


    Jam session as part of the workshop maybe? I can't remember since I didn't see it. I assume this counts towards on broad clinics/special events as opposed to an actual lineup spot.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    athun
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 168
    Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:00 pm
    Location: san diego

    Re: Your Trip Of A Lifetime Begins In 6 Weeks!

    by athun » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 am

    Electrichead wrote:So much light metal/ euro poppy metal chick singer stuff. I know there is kreator and in flames but where are the heavy bands like the venom/overkill/pentagram/death angel/COB/cannibal corpse/crowbar? This is my first metal festival ill be going to and spent alotta money to go to. Would love to see some more heavy stuff instead of bands playing neil diamond covers

    13 bands to go. Turn it up to 11 now.


    Concur!!! :death: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred:
  • User avatar
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am
    Location: Mexico City, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Your Trip Of A Lifetime Begins In 6 Weeks!

    by X-Thor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 am

    Memnoch wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:He has a point, though. It seems the majority of those buying tickets are power/folk metalheads, while the "extreme" fans seem to be a very vocal minority (just ask Sam Dunn and his failure to raise even a third of the money he needed for the extreme metal episode of Metal Evolution).

    Did Sam Dunn have to raise the money for every episode from the fans? Thought so.


    No, but he got a HUGE ammount of e-mails and FB posts asking for an extreme metal episode. And he only asked for crowdfunding because VH1 and other executives thought the episode wouldn't be well-recieved among "mainstream" audiences and wouldn't be watched by that many people. I think the fact that about 700 persons supported him proves them right.

    Memnoch wrote:Maybe the series were so poorly made that no-one wanted to see him do an episode on extreme metal?


    Well, then maybe that's the problem. In my experience with the "I only listen to real TRVE metal!" crew (not saying you are one of them, you certainly aren't), they tend to have such narrow specific tastes and ideas that pretty much nothing said or written about heavy metal pleases them. Maybe that's why there were complains even about the BTH line-up. And yes, maybe that explains the lack of support for Sam Dunn's iniciative. "What, he is not talking the full 40 minutes about X, Y and Z bands? What a poser!".

    Besides, in my opinion, the series was, in general, very good. Sure, the power metal episode wasn't that good, but I think that's because Sam knows next to nothing about it, which is not the case for extreme metal. Moreover, it'd mean more interviews with artists I like (and that extreme metal fans are supposed to like) and maybe discovering new things about them or their contribution to the genre. I would've liked to see that.

    (Disclaimer: I did contribute to the episode, because [1] I like Dunn's work, even though the Power Metal episode was kind of meh and [2] I like to see all things metal going into the mainstream. Maybe with that series, some people got to know more about metal, and that's always a good thing, in my opinion).

    Memnoch wrote:And Statsman could tell us how many categories have sold out after which announcements. I think the most sections were sold out when the tickets came on sale, so that was veterans, not folk fans (sure, there might've been some in there, but you get the idea). I did however notice that there was one category back on available after the Arkona announcement - does that mean that folk metal sell cabins back to UMC? :mrgreen:


    That'd imply an immediate causal relationship that I'm not so sure really holds (i.e. people only book based on the latest announcement). Maybe statsman and I could play with the numbers enough and come with an econometric model for that, but that'd depend on the data we had...

    And as much as you hate Arkona, just check out the wishlists. Most of us had them in ours, and not just the more vocal folk metal fans, but more of what you'd call the "Variety" crew.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

    In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

    Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • User avatar
    Stained Class
    Commander
    Posts: 9589
    Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am
    Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Stained Class » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 am

    Ooh! I would actually probably be interested in joining. Just don't put it during someone awsome like Orphaned Land this time :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

    I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

    I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21294
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by mooyagi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:32 am

    What would be the most awkward band lineup we can produce with the current artists? Also, the orchestra should be involved. Not like my opinion matters, I'm not on Facebook so can't vote. :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am
    Location: Mexico City, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by X-Thor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:37 am

    mooyagi wrote:What would be the most awkward band lineup we can produce with the current artists? Also, the orchestra should be involved. Not like my opinion matters, I'm not on Facebook so can't vote. :lol:


    Charlotte Wessels and the guitarist from Dragonforce, maybe?
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

    In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

    Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • User avatar
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 616
    Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 am
    Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Jebus_Cripes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 am

    mooyagi wrote:
    last_candle wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Kate just reminded me, wasn't there a jam session with Jeff on the previous 70K too?

    it's either yes or no :lol:
    there was a workshop, but a jam session? I don't know...


    Jam session as part of the workshop maybe? I can't remember since I didn't see it. I assume this counts towards on broad clinics/special events as opposed to an actual lineup spot.


    There was indeed a jam session following the workshop. I really enjoyed it personally.

    I'd be all for Annihilator being on in full force again. At least bring Dave again if we are going to be bringing Jeff.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
  • User avatar
    Ecliptica
    Ensign
    Posts: 1431
    Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:35 pm

    Re: Your Trip Of A Lifetime Begins In 6 Weeks!

    by Ecliptica » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

    X-Thor wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:He has a point, though. It seems the majority of those buying tickets are power/folk metalheads, while the "extreme" fans seem to be a very vocal minority (just ask Sam Dunn and his failure to raise even a third of the money he needed for the extreme metal episode of Metal Evolution).

    Did Sam Dunn have to raise the money for every episode from the fans? Thought so.


    No, but he got a HUGE ammount of e-mails and FB posts asking for an extreme metal episode. And he only asked for crowdfunding because VH1 and other executives thought the episode wouldn't be well-recieved among "mainstream" audiences and wouldn't be watched by that many people. I think the fact that about 700 persons supported him proves them right.

    Memnoch wrote:Maybe the series were so poorly made that no-one wanted to see him do an episode on extreme metal?


    Well, then maybe that's the problem. In my experience with the "I only listen to real TRVE metal!" crew (not saying you are one of them, you certainly aren't), they tend to have such narrow specific tastes and ideas that pretty much nothing said or written about heavy metal pleases them. Maybe that's why there were complains even about the BTH line-up. And yes, maybe that explains the lack of support for Sam Dunn's iniciative. "What, he is not talking the full 40 minutes about X, Y and Z bands? What a poser!".

    Besides, in my opinion, the series was, in general, very good. Sure, the power metal episode wasn't that good, but I think that's because Sam knows next to nothing about it, which is not the case for extreme metal. Moreover, it'd mean more interviews with artists I like (and that extreme metal fans are supposed to like) and maybe discovering new things about them or their contribution to the genre. I would've liked to see that.

    (Disclaimer: I did contribute to the episode, because [1] I like Dunn's work, even though the Power Metal episode was kind of meh and [2] I like to see all things metal going into the mainstream. Maybe with that series, some people got to know more about metal, and that's always a good thing, in my opinion).

    Memnoch wrote:And Statsman could tell us how many categories have sold out after which announcements. I think the most sections were sold out when the tickets came on sale, so that was veterans, not folk fans (sure, there might've been some in there, but you get the idea). I did however notice that there was one category back on available after the Arkona announcement - does that mean that folk metal sell cabins back to UMC? :mrgreen:


    That'd imply an immediate causal relationship that I'm not so sure really holds (i.e. people only book based on the latest announcement). Maybe statsman and I could play with the numbers enough and come with an econometric model for that, but that'd depend on the data we had...

    And as much as you hate Arkona, just check out the wishlists. Most of us had them in ours, and not just the more vocal folk metal fans, but more of what you'd call the "Variety" crew.


    Quoting for posterity.

    This is the best post on the forums.

    EDIT: I'm only playing devil's advocate with my posts. I have no problem with more black metal (I used to play it), death metal, thrash (okay, maybe a little problem with thrash =P), or anything else. I have a problem with people complaining about things non-stop. Like I mentioned earlier, it's a big first-world problem: "WAAAAAH, I HAVE MONEY TO GO ON A 2000-PERSON LUXURY CRUISE AND MY FAVORITE BAND THAT ONLY I LISTEN TO ISN'T PLAYING, WAAAAH!". Just enjoy what we have, jeeez.
  • User avatar
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1589
    Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:46 pm

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by STACH100 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:54 am

    I am a BIG Jeff Waters fan and will most likely attend the jam but this is yet another Non announcement.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
  • User avatar
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 541
    Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:18 am
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Captain Alex » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:54 am

    mooyagi wrote:What would be the most awkward band lineup we can produce with the current artists? Also, the orchestra should be involved. Not like my opinion matters, I'm not on Facebook so can't vote. :lol:


    I got that one:

    Charlotte Wessels, Cristina Scabbia, Masha Scream, Leïlindel meet & greet at the jacuzzi...

    ..and yes the orchestra should be involved (out of the jacuzzi) to make it more epic !! :lol: :lol:
    Iced Earth-Avantasia-Ayreon-Nightwish-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Syrens Call-Epica-Satyricon-Powerwolf-Sonata Arctica-Tarot-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-LuciferianLightOrchestra
  • User avatar
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am
    Location: Mexico City, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Your Trip Of A Lifetime Begins In 6 Weeks!

    by X-Thor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:56 am

    Ecliptica wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:Did Sam Dunn have to raise the money for every episode from the fans? Thought so.


    No, but he got a HUGE ammount of e-mails and FB posts asking for an extreme metal episode. And he only asked for crowdfunding because VH1 and other executives thought the episode wouldn't be well-recieved among "mainstream" audiences and wouldn't be watched by that many people. I think the fact that about 700 persons supported him proves them right.

    Memnoch wrote:Maybe the series were so poorly made that no-one wanted to see him do an episode on extreme metal?


    Well, then maybe that's the problem. In my experience with the "I only listen to real TRVE metal!" crew (not saying you are one of them, you certainly aren't), they tend to have such narrow specific tastes and ideas that pretty much nothing said or written about heavy metal pleases them. Maybe that's why there were complains even about the BTH line-up. And yes, maybe that explains the lack of support for Sam Dunn's iniciative. "What, he is not talking the full 40 minutes about X, Y and Z bands? What a poser!".

    Besides, in my opinion, the series was, in general, very good. Sure, the power metal episode wasn't that good, but I think that's because Sam knows next to nothing about it, which is not the case for extreme metal. Moreover, it'd mean more interviews with artists I like (and that extreme metal fans are supposed to like) and maybe discovering new things about them or their contribution to the genre. I would've liked to see that.

    (Disclaimer: I did contribute to the episode, because [1] I like Dunn's work, even though the Power Metal episode was kind of meh and [2] I like to see all things metal going into the mainstream. Maybe with that series, some people got to know more about metal, and that's always a good thing, in my opinion).

    Memnoch wrote:And Statsman could tell us how many categories have sold out after which announcements. I think the most sections were sold out when the tickets came on sale, so that was veterans, not folk fans (sure, there might've been some in there, but you get the idea). I did however notice that there was one category back on available after the Arkona announcement - does that mean that folk metal sell cabins back to UMC? :mrgreen:


    That'd imply an immediate causal relationship that I'm not so sure really holds (i.e. people only book based on the latest announcement). Maybe statsman and I could play with the numbers enough and come with an econometric model for that, but that'd depend on the data we had...

    And as much as you hate Arkona, just check out the wishlists. Most of us had them in ours, and not just the more vocal folk metal fans, but more of what you'd call the "Variety" crew.


    Quoting for posterity.

    This is the best post on the forums.


    :oops: :oops: :oops:

    Ecliptica wrote:EDIT: I'm only playing devil's advocate with my posts. I have no problem with more black metal (I used to play it), death metal, thrash (okay, maybe a little problem with thrash =P), or anything else. I have a problem with people complaining about things non-stop. Like I mentioned earlier, it's a big first-world problem: "WAAAAAH, I HAVE MONEY TO GO ON A 2000-PERSON LUXURY CRUISE AND MY FAVORITE BAND THAT ONLY I LISTEN TO ISN'T PLAYING, WAAAAH!". Just enjoy what we have, jeeez.


    :lol: Like I said, the ultimate first world problem. :lol:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

    In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

    Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • User avatar
    Lala
    Midshipman
    Posts: 846
    Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:54 am
    Location: Bochum - Germany
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Lala » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:57 am

    i would like a Jam with Jeff, Herman Li, Viktor Smolski and Gus G ......
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived - 2021 - definetly maybe NO

    www.lalasreisen.de
  • User avatar
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 616
    Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 am
    Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Jebus_Cripes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:57 am

    Captain Alex wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:What would be the most awkward band lineup we can produce with the current artists? Also, the orchestra should be involved. Not like my opinion matters, I'm not on Facebook so can't vote. :lol:


    I got that one:

    Charlotte Wessels, Cristina Scabbia, Masha Scream, Leïlindel meet & greet at the jacuzzi...

    ..and yes the orchestra should be involved (out of the jacuzzi) to make it more epic !! :lol: :lol:


    I like the way you think,
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
  • User avatar
    pablov8
    Midshipman
    Posts: 854
    Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:25 pm
    Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by pablov8 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:03 pm

    Captain Alex wrote:Charlotte Wessels, Cristina Scabbia, Masha Scream, Leïlindel meet & greet Pablo at Pablo's cabin


    Fixed
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
  • User avatar
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 4412
    Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 pm
    Location: switzerland

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by last_candle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:04 pm

    Lala wrote:i would like a Jam with Jeff, Herman Li, Viktor Smolski and Gus G ......

    four guitars, no drums, no bass, no keys :D
    there are definitely a few very talented guitarists onbroad (but at least one not announced...YET)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • User avatar
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am
    Location: Mexico City, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by X-Thor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:05 pm

    pablov8 wrote:
    Captain Alex wrote:Charlotte Wessels, Cristina Scabbia, Masha Scream, Leïlindel meet & greet Pablo at Pablo's cabin


    Fixed


    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

    In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

    Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • User avatar
    KevinP
    Commander
    Posts: 8612
    Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 pm

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by KevinP » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 pm

    I'm not giving Sam Dunn a dime of my money. Not that I have a problem with him or the series. If he did an extreme metal episode I would watch it. But I have better things to do with my money to help self fund a TV show. Puh-lease :oops:

    I'd blame Barge sales mainly on time of year. You swap 70K and Barge dates and you'd see almost the same issues with 70K.

    And if the Rainbow Brigade was so strong, why haven't they sold out the ship? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

    BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

    The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Electrichead
    Crewman
    Posts: 67
    Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:44 pm
    Location: Winnipeg, MB

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Electrichead » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 pm

    gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:(and taking care of the ship)


    You weren't on the ship (Barge to Hell) so I would assume you are reading far too much into people's post cruise stories. In general, most people were fine. There were a few incidents, but I saw property damage on previous 70Ks as well.



    this

    If people are breaking shit on the shit and gettin that rowdy thats a security issue. Not an issue of bands are too heavy so lets water the lineup down.
    2013, 2014, 2015 survivor
  • User avatar
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am
    Location: Mexico City, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by X-Thor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 pm

    KevinP wrote: I'd blame Barge sales mainly on time of year. You swap 70K and Barge dates and you'd see almost the same issues with 70K.

    And if the Rainbow Brigade was so strong, why haven't they sold out the ship? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


    That makes sense. We should wait and see if 70K sells out before previous 70Ks (which I don't think likely because of BTH).
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

    In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

    Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • User avatar
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 616
    Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 am
    Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Jebus_Cripes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:35 pm

    KevinP wrote:I'm not giving Sam Dunn a dime of my money. Not that I have a problem with him or the series. If he did an extreme metal episode I would watch it. But I have better things to do with my money to help self fund a TV show. Puh-lease :oops:

    I'd blame Barge sales mainly on time of year. You swap 70K and Barge dates and you'd see almost the same issues with 70K.

    And if the Rainbow Brigade was so strong, why haven't they sold out the ship? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


    I know I would have went on barge instead if the dates were reversed.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
  • User avatar
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign
    Posts: 1074
    Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:02 am
    Location: Midgar
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Blackfhyre » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:39 pm

    Jebus_Cripes wrote:
    KevinP wrote:I'm not giving Sam Dunn a dime of my money. Not that I have a problem with him or the series. If he did an extreme metal episode I would watch it. But I have better things to do with my money to help self fund a TV show. Puh-lease :oops:

    I'd blame Barge sales mainly on time of year. You swap 70K and Barge dates and you'd see almost the same issues with 70K.

    And if the Rainbow Brigade was so strong, why haven't they sold out the ship? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


    I know I would have went on barge instead if the dates were reversed.


    I would try to swing 70k over Barge no matter what time of the year because 70 encompasses my taste way better. I am not a big extreme metal guy. That being said, if the timing was reversed it would have been a lot harder to make it in that first week in December. I liked the one cruise (like the first 2) because it was great variety and I had some downtime to eat and sleep. I don't want all 42 bands that I wouldn't want to miss.

    Bottom line: book 4 more bands I really want and the rest that I don't care for. Thanks! :beerbang:
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
  • User avatar
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1589
    Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:46 pm

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by STACH100 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:42 pm

    "I know I would have went on barge instead if the dates were reversed."

    Same here, I just could not go in DEC!
    If Barge had been in Sep I would probably have gone on both cruises.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11160
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Your Trip Of A Lifetime Begins In 6 Weeks!

    by ShoreSlayer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:05 pm

    Electrichead wrote:Gotthard. Delain? You trying to put me to sleep? What the hell man. Bring the fuckin metal. Make a stop in BC and find some BISON! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLDGgYxpvC8

    'Atta boy! More love for Vancouver Metal!!! :shred:

    I know some folks around here would drool to have 3IOB or DTP added but I'd forever worship the church of Andy if he added Mendozza, Bison and Unleash the Archers!! :death:

    *EDIT* Oh, oh, oh... And Black Wizard too! Fuckin' hell I love Black Wizard! :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2899
    Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:05 am
    Location: Dallas

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by EvilDan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 pm

    I've made a point of not complaining about bands I don't care for (which is why I haven't been in this thread in a few months) and not bugging Andy when I see him on-broad. Even though Andy looked far more relaxed and was smiling a lot more on Barge than I've seen before, he deals with everyone else's bullshit. He doesn't need mine. (Plus, I'd be probing him about business shit, rather than discussing the timing of announcements and sub-genre representation.) I haven't seen/recognized any of the other UMC people on-broad, but I'd probably bug them. :twisted:
    Never take anything I say seriously.

    Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
  • User avatar
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign
    Posts: 1074
    Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:02 am
    Location: Midgar
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Blackfhyre » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:29 pm

    EvilDan wrote:I've made a point of not complaining about bands I don't care for (which is why I haven't been in this thread in a few months) and not bugging Andy when I see him on-broad. Even though Andy looked far more relaxed and was smiling a lot more on Barge than I've seen before, he deals with everyone else's bullshit. He doesn't need mine. (Plus, I'd be probing him about business shit, rather than discussing the timing of announcements and sub-genre representation.) I haven't seen/recognized any of the other UMC people on-broad, but I'd probably bug them. :twisted:

    i never complain about announcements that arent great for me. I need the downtime and everyone should get a couple bands they love
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21294
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by mooyagi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 pm

    EvilDan wrote:I've made a point of not complaining about bands I don't care for (which is why I haven't been in this thread in a few months) and not bugging Andy when I see him on-broad. Even though Andy looked far more relaxed and was smiling a lot more on Barge than I've seen before, he deals with everyone else's bullshit. He doesn't need mine. (Plus, I'd be probing him about business shit, rather than discussing the timing of announcements and sub-genre representation.) I haven't seen/recognized any of the other UMC people on-broad, but I'd probably bug them. :twisted:


    Andy always seemed quite approachable and interested in talking to everyone (even drunk Rhia). Same with Allison and Aaron. Very friendly folks at UMC.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    alex_canada
    Ensign
    Posts: 1151
    Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm
    Location: Winnipeg

    Re: Your Trip Of A Lifetime Begins In 6 Weeks!

    by alex_canada » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:38 pm

    Electrichead wrote:Gotthard. Delain? You trying to put me to sleep? What the hell man. Bring the fuckin metal. Make a stop in BC and find some BISON! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLDGgYxpvC8

    MESHUGGAH starts a north america tour on feb 11th in orlando. Bring em down earlier for a boat ride and to wake everyone up! Do it!


    You will now be known as "Rainbow Ron"
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • Electrichead
    Crewman
    Posts: 67
    Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:44 pm
    Location: Winnipeg, MB

    Re: Your Trip Of A Lifetime Begins In 6 Weeks!

    by Electrichead » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:47 pm

    alex_canada wrote:
    Electrichead wrote:Gotthard. Delain? You trying to put me to sleep? What the hell man. Bring the fuckin metal. Make a stop in BC and find some BISON! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLDGgYxpvC8

    MESHUGGAH starts a north america tour on feb 11th in orlando. Bring em down earlier for a boat ride and to wake everyone up! Do it!


    You will now be known as "Rainbow Ron"


    Hahah. Did you get your justin bieber tickets yet? I know how badly you wanted to go see him
    2013, 2014, 2015 survivor
  • User avatar
    alex_canada
    Ensign
    Posts: 1151
    Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm
    Location: Winnipeg

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by alex_canada » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:48 pm

    I did, I sold them to your girlfriend
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • User avatar
    alex_canada
    Ensign
    Posts: 1151
    Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm
    Location: Winnipeg

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by alex_canada » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:49 pm

    I don't think I like the idea of regular passengers partaking in this unless there's a talent filter. I know it's a lot of people's dream to share the stage with whoever, but when the inevitable scenario of the shitty guitarist who thinks he's amazing comes on, there will be an awkward exodus from the room.

    And I'm saying this as a musician who would really, really love to share the stage with some of these guys.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • User avatar
    Stained Class
    Commander
    Posts: 9589
    Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am
    Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Stained Class » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:58 pm

    alex_canada wrote:I don't think I like the idea of regular passengers partaking in this unless there's a talent filter. I know it's a lot of people's dream to share the stage with whoever, but when the inevitable scenario of the shitty guitarist who thinks he's amazing comes on, there will be an awkward exodus from the room.

    And I'm saying this as a musician who would really, really love to share the stage with some of these guys.

    I see where you're coming from, but I actually don't think it'll be an issue. They did sort of a trial run of this on last 70k and it apparently went off well. It was up against Orphaned Land in the Spectrum so I of course chose them, but I would've liked to have seen this.
    9 time cruiser

    I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

    I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • User avatar
    alex_canada
    Ensign
    Posts: 1151
    Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm
    Location: Winnipeg

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by alex_canada » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:06 pm

    Well, you missed me hammered and drumming two minutes to midnight with who I think was Jeff Waters :lol:
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • User avatar
    stoverkill
    Midshipman
    Posts: 867
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:54 pm
    Location: DALLAS TEXAS
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by stoverkill » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:12 pm

    alex_canada wrote:Well, you missed me hammered and drumming two minutes to midnight with who I think was Jeff Waters :lol:


    I call rhythm guitar for Seek n Destroy!
    SURVIVOR:
    70K1 | 70K2 | BTH | 70K3 | 70K4 | 70K5 | 70K6 | 70K7 | 70K8 | 70K9

    WISH LIST: Dust Bolt | Toxic Holocaust | Lich King | Violator | Bewitcher | Haunt | Hellfire | Nuclear Assault | Xentrix | Hatchet | Power Trip | Terrifier
  • User avatar
    Stained Class
    Commander
    Posts: 9589
    Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am
    Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Stained Class » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:25 pm

    alex_canada wrote:Well, you missed me hammered and drumming two minutes to midnight with who I think was Jeff Waters :lol:

    :lol: Nice. I better start brushing up on some Maiden :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

    I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

    I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • xLeahx
    Wiper
    Posts: 5
    Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:32 pm

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by xLeahx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:41 pm

    Jeff Waters is an excellent addition! Now my fingers are crossed for the rest of Annihilator. As for Delain, I was totally taken aback by that announcement. I thought FOR SURE the next female lead band would be Leave's Eyes or Within Temptation. Oh well. Heidevolk is a great addition, though. I never thought I would get to see them live so I think this is great! :viking:
  • User avatar
    Tuup
    Midshipman
    Posts: 956
    Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:06 am
    Location: Wijlre (NL)
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by Tuup » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:45 pm

    That's cool, but it would be even more awesome if the rest of the band would join again!
  • User avatar
    KDibildeaux
    Captain
    Posts: 13904
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by KDibildeaux » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:43 pm

    gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:Let's be real for a second.

    We just had Barge to Hell because all the extreme metal fans complained that there wasn't enough death/thrash/black metal, etc. on 70K. And, guess what? It didn't sell tickets. As nice as it is to have a cruise dedicated to this, the bottom line is always going to be important.

    Folk/power metal fans are buying the cruise tickets and not destroying the ship. That's a win-win.

    The death/thrash/black/extreme fans are a VERY vocal minority, but until they start buying tickets (and taking care of the ship), why cater to that demographic?

    Seriously.


    well boohoo
    seriously

    the first two 70k didn't sell then?
    the first two destroyed the ship?

    Barge sold less due to when it was in time, seriously

    Are you saying if I don't like Folk/power metal and I do like death/thrash/black/extreme I should not have booked 70k, even though the first two were great?

    I find it kind of funny how all the people who are acting like barge was full of hoodlums are the ones who weren't even on the ship. I've been on all 3 cruises and I didn't see a difference in destruction of the ship or people being disrespectful. Both 70ks had some stuff broken and assholes on it, too. Barge was an amazing experience and if it is in any month other than December I plan on going. I can say arguably I had an even better time on Barge than 70k 2012.
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • User avatar
    KDibildeaux
    Captain
    Posts: 13904
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by KDibildeaux » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:52 pm

    KevinP wrote:I'm not giving Sam Dunn a dime of my money. Not that I have a problem with him or the series. If he did an extreme metal episode I would watch it. But I have better things to do with my money to help self fund a TV show. Puh-lease :oops:

    I'd blame Barge sales mainly on time of year. You swap 70K and Barge dates and you'd see almost the same issues with 70K.

    And if the Rainbow Brigade was so strong, why haven't they sold out the ship? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

    I think the folk metal crew isn't as much of a majority as they are vocal (hell I find them louder than the vocal minority of extreme fans they are always bitching about :lol:). I believe most of us would agree with Memnoch that variety would be the best route to go. Personally I don't consider myself part of any genre "crew". If I like a band I like it, though there are certain genres that don't appeal to me at all.

    Okay, enough from me. I'm just a bit tired of hearing people who weren't on the Barge putting it down all the time :P. You weren't on it, move on already. 70K will be as amazing as always but I really do hope the variety it has had in the past stays, as we were told it would.

    :heavydrink:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • User avatar
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am
    Location: Mexico City, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by X-Thor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:58 pm

    KDibildeaux wrote:
    gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:Let's be real for a second.

    We just had Barge to Hell because all the extreme metal fans complained that there wasn't enough death/thrash/black metal, etc. on 70K. And, guess what? It didn't sell tickets. As nice as it is to have a cruise dedicated to this, the bottom line is always going to be important.

    Folk/power metal fans are buying the cruise tickets and not destroying the ship. That's a win-win.

    The death/thrash/black/extreme fans are a VERY vocal minority, but until they start buying tickets (and taking care of the ship), why cater to that demographic?

    Seriously.


    well boohoo
    seriously

    the first two 70k didn't sell then?
    the first two destroyed the ship?

    Barge sold less due to when it was in time, seriously

    Are you saying if I don't like Folk/power metal and I do like death/thrash/black/extreme I should not have booked 70k, even though the first two were great?

    I find it kind of funny how all the people who are acting like barge was full of hoodlums are the ones who weren't even on the ship. I've been on all 3 cruises and I didn't see a difference in destruction of the ship or people being disrespectful. Both 70ks had some stuff broken and assholes on it, too. Barge was an amazing experience and if it is in any month other than December I plan on going. I can say arguably I had an even better time on Barge than 70k 2012.


    Yeah, assholes are pretty much universal. I see where Greg is coming from, though. From an outsider's perspective, and working only with the info at the forums, it seems that BTH caused slightly more trouble than 70K (because of the chair mosh pit). I understand that it might not be actually true or that the difference is probably too small to even be marginally relevant. I'm just saying that's the image that I perceived here.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

    In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

    Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • User avatar
    KDibildeaux
    Captain
    Posts: 13904
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ

    Re: Jamming With Waters In International Waters

    by KDibildeaux » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:01 pm

    But the very first chair mosh actually happened on 70K this year, before Pestilence, I believe. Honestly barge was just as awesome, if not more than one of the 70ks for me, at least. And that is a veeeeery high bar I've set
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
Post Reply 4880 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests