Post Reply 461 posts
How fast will 70K 2013 sell out?
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: How fast will 70K 2013 sell out?

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:58 am

Melusine wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:I think the addition of what are often referred to as 'hot topic' bands (Lacuna, In Flames, Dragonforce) will fill a lot of cabins with newbies.

And I'm not too sure I want to be on a boat filled with those kind of fans :P Don't get me wrong, I like Lacuna and Dragonforce, but those 3 bands in particular attract fans that I would not describe as 'metal' fans.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/tar ... roject4914

In my experience Lacuna and Dragonforce tend to draw a very young teen crowd on their own at least in comparison to most of the shows I attend. Now this being my first cruise I don't know, but am I correct in guessing that it draws a little bit older group, hence weeding out some of the folks you are referring to?

It draws a mix of people, from their 20s to 60s. There are some younger ones that make it too.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:07 pm

http://www.full-metal-cruise.com/

I guess this won't boast Majesty's the ticket sales. At least there will probably be less Germans at 70000 Tons. I'm already think about going too. A full week, a one hour flight and no hotels probably makes it cheaper depending on the ticket price. On the other hand, one week in Florida in January is hard to beat.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 pm

Tobbe wrote:http://www.full-metal-cruise.com/

I guess this won't boast Majesty's the ticket sales. At least there will probably be less Germans at 70000 Tons. I'm already think about going too. A full week, a one hour flight and no hotels probably makes it cheaper depending on the ticket price. On the other hand, one week in Florida in January is hard to beat.

Saw that earlier today. Looks like it could be fun (depending on lineup). No way I can book early for that but perhaps in future years it would be worth trying out.
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:11 pm

looks like it will be very cool but way more expensive for us americans
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Free beer 24/7 and free drinks after 6 PM makes me wonder how much the tickets will be.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Tobbe wrote:Free beer 24/7 and free drinks after 6 PM makes me wonder how much the tickets will be.

For a quad, it's a bit less than 1000 Euros per person. It was discussed here: http://70000tons.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2697

Looks like it's similar to 70K/Barge in terms of price per day. The overall cost is more because it's 7 days. The free booze makes up for that though.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Blackfhyre wrote:looks like it will be very cool but way more expensive for us americans

Depends on where in the US you are. Flying from major ports, it may not be too expensive to get to Germany. I've flown to Germany twice (from Boston and New York) for less than $500 round trip. I've stayed at a cheap, nice hostel in Hamburg as well.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 pm

I wonder if this cruise will actually cause some people to cancel their 70K bookings and go on the Full Metal Cruise instead.
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:24 pm

mooyagi wrote:Depends on where in the US you are. Flying from major ports, it may not be too expensive to get to Germany. I've flown to Germany twice (from Boston and New York) for less than $500 round trip. I've stayed at a cheap, nice hostel in Hamburg as well.

That is very good!
    ALthough it is out of the question for this year maybe in the upcoming years I can swing it. I'd love to go overseas as I've never been
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Comparing sales to around this time last year:

All that is left now, are doubles and the Suites!

Interior N - 103
    Interior M - 83
    Interior L - 81
    Interior K (Triple, Quad) - 32
    Ocean View I - 98
    Ocean View H (Triple,Quad) - 18
    Ocean View G (Triple, Quad) - 10
    Ocean View F (Triple, Quad) - 36
    ALL Grand Suites Deck 10 - 8

Total - 469

REMAINING:

Interior K - 123 (double)
    Ocean View H - 104 (104 double)
    Ocean View G - 88 (88 double)
    Ocean View F - 226 (226 double)
    Superior SO - 84
    Junior Suite JS - 50

So we've got 89 less cabins in sold-out categories compared to this time last year - but obviously sales had been open a lot longer.

So I guess sales are moving slightly quicker. I'm sure that with all the competition coming from other cruises now, sales will slow down considerably.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:44 pm

cowboy71 wrote:So I guess sales are moving slightly quicker. I'm sure that with all the competition coming from other cruises now, sales will slow down considerably.

my thoughts exactly
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Blackfhyre wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:So I guess sales are moving slightly quicker. I'm sure that with all the competition coming from other cruises now, sales will slow down considerably.

my thoughts exactly

Dammmm Youuu Wackeeeeeenn!!!! I wonder how many sales Andy would need to get in order to not cancel. I wasn't worried at all last year but this year may actually be in jeopardy.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Blackfhyre wrote:

my thoughts exactly

Dammmm Youuu Wackeeeeeenn!!!! I wonder how many sales Andy would need to get in order to not cancel. I wasn't worried at all last year but this year may actually be in jeopardy.

I'm more worried about Barge. Not worried about 70K
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:35 pm

mooyagi wrote:

Same. Would not be concerned for 70k AT ALL.

Just look at the numbers - BARE MINIMUM, 380 cabins SOLD. 784 cabins remaining MAX, and even if only quarter of those are sold at the moment that puts the ship at 50% capacity with half a year til sailing and almost 30 bands left to announce.

Barge on the other hand...........
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • vaderite666
    Petty Officer

by vaderite666 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Probably before Barge sells out, given that Barge has a more specific audience. As much as I am looking forward to Barge, if I had to pick, I'd go with 70k. :metalguy:
    In Extremo/Saltatio Mortis/Old Man's Child/Cathedral/Thrudvangar/Thulcandra/Iron Fire/Hyberia/Catamenia/Eisbrecher/Varg/Forefather/Nomans Land/Accept/Angel Witch/Ghost/Burning Saviors/Electric Wizard/Hollenthon/Kalmah/Power Wolf/Black Pyramid/Running Wild
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:27 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    Blackfhyre wrote:my thoughts exactly

I'm not worried about 70k though honestly I think the Barge lineup is waaaaaaay better so far
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:30 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:I'm not worried about 70k though honestly I think the Barge lineup is waaaaaaay better so far

I like the Barge lineup better, definitely. Most of the 70K bands I gave a 1 to are very low 1s. :lol:
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Me too, so far though I have faith in UMC
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:21 pm

So, Barge versus 70K *deep breath*

*begin rant*
    I think the problem is, "extreme metal" (and I use the term broadly) fans are a (VERY) vocal minority.

Every time a Nightwish or a Blind Guardian or a Hammerfall or an Epica (for example) got announce for 2011/12 there was a small group that would whine like babies very vocally on the forum or facebook about how crap an announcement it was, fairy music, unicorn music, their sets would be nap time/food time/masturbate time.

While the people that LIKE this kind of music just chill out, and don't jump up and down for the announcement. NOR do they moan when extreme bands like BurnChurchKillPuppies or ILookKvltInMakeup or whatever gets announced.

And UMC have seen 'ALLLLLL' these crying extreme fans and gone "hmmmm there must be a big market for this - lets give them their own cruise!".

Yet - have a look at the size of the crowds on broad. I think Nightwish and Guardian probably had the biggest crowds both years...

So yeah, maybe if they downsize Barge to an ACTUAL barge it might sell out :P

Otherwise unless they drop prices drastically or announce some bands that are more 'commercial' I reckon it will be 75% full at the most.

*end rant*

And yes, that was a rant, and I've used sweeping generalisations. Fact is, the elitist bullshit of fans of all metal genres shits me to tears :P

And I'm not wishing ill of UMC or Barge - I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong and see it sold out, but I just don't see it happening.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:38 pm

cowboy71 wrote:
    So we've got 89 less cabins in sold-out categories compared to this time last year - but obviously sales had been open a lot longer.

Quoting myself hahaha :)

Not 100% of the date, but I think sales last year opened up Late April. And by May 15th categories representing 315 cabins were listed as sold out.

So comparing figures on a days-on-sale basis, sales for 2013 are actually slightly higher. Not by much though.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:45 pm

That was a pretty funny rant :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, Barge does have some pretty commercially successful bands on it that do have decent fanbases. I'm hoping that sales pick up once 70K slows down and we get Barge back in the forefront of everyone's minds. I know a lot of people were waiting to see which of the two cruises to go on. A few Barge announcements (or non-announcement announcements) can help remind people of it. I'm looking forward to it right now since I like the lineup better. There are some really good bands on it.
    Last edited by mooyagi on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:46 pm

UMC must be very happy, they can just come here to get all their statistics, and for free too. One less job they have to do.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Conrad wrote:UMC must be very happy, they can just come here to get all their statistics, and for free too. One less job they have to do.

Cowboy should be hired as their official record keeper
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:50 pm

cowboy71 wrote:So, Barge versus 70K *deep breath*

*begin rant*
    I think the problem is, "extreme metal" (and I use the term broadly) fans are a (VERY) vocal minority.

Every time a Nightwish or a Blind Guardian or a Hammerfall or an Epica (for example) got announce for 2011/12 there was a small group that would whine like babies very vocally on the forum or facebook about how crap an announcement it was, fairy music, unicorn music, their sets would be nap time/food time/masturbate time.

While the people that LIKE this kind of music just chill out, and don't jump up and down for the announcement. NOR do they moan when extreme bands like BurnChurchKillPuppies or ILookKvltInMakeup or whatever gets announced.

And UMC have seen 'ALLLLLL' these crying extreme fans and gone "hmmmm there must be a big market for this - lets give them their own cruise!".

Yet - have a look at the size of the crowds on broad. I think Nightwish and Guardian probably had the biggest crowds both years...

Otherwise unless they drop prices drastically or announce some bands that are more 'commercial' I reckon it will be 75% full at the most.

*end rant*

And yes, that was a rant, and I've used sweeping generalisations. Fact is, the elitist bullshit of fans of all metal genres shits me to tears :P

And I'm not wishing ill of UMC or Barge - I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong and see it sold out, but I just don't see it happening.

Awesome post!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:10 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:Awesome post!

Why thanks :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:31 pm

I much prefer extreme music over the power metal stuff on 70k, but I like some of everything. I get more excited about the more extreme bands, but I still find things to like in whoever is on 70k. As long as they keep the mix good, I'm fine. Given the ability to choose one of them, I would pick Barge and I would actually enjoy the smaller crowds. Crowds after the first day on the boat are already great because you can walk right up to the front without pushing through people and get good pictures or a good spot no matter what band it is. I think that is how Barge is going to be as soon as multiple sets start going at once. Sounds like heaven to me. Plus less people on the boat means you probably get to know even more new friends than on 70k where it is already a big part of it.

So outside of probably UMC who of course wants to maximize profits, you really would have a win/win whether it sells out or not. I'm jealous of Barge, so I hope it does well enough that I can go on it at least once.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:56 pm

haven't read through all of of the above carefully yet.....

so excuse the general blab.....

but...I am a huge fan of "extreme metal" and extreme push the envelope kinda stuff generally....to the point where I actually am REALLY frustrated sometimes when I go to so-called extreme metal shows or the like and feel there are very few people with (truly) similar taste and/or are there for the same reasons I am. Haha - sometimes I imagine there exists a kind of music/scene/expression that I'm seeking that either doesn't exist or I just haven't discovered *where* it is yet. My experience at Hole in the Sky in Bergen, Norway came somewhat close last summer, but there was even something missing there. Barge to Hell is looking pretty cool and promising in that regard....we'll see...

Having said that, I like many kinds of music and I try hard to never diss other peoples' tastes. I find the whole power vs. death metal bitch charade, for example, really tiresome. :P
    Last edited by Laura on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:59 pm

The power vs death metal thing is done jokingly, it's not really a serious thing ;)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:00 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:The power vs death metal thing is done jokingly, it's not really a serious thing ;)

yes and no....
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Laura wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:The power vs death metal thing is done jokingly, it's not really a serious thing ;)

yes and no....

Who do you think is actually serious about it? Personally I don't like power metal, but it really doesn't affect me in any way that others like it
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:07 pm

I concur with Laura - there are some in "the scene" that are very serious about it. Yes, there is some joking element to it, but if there is not at least a hint of truth to it, it wouldn't be said in the first place.

Ever heard the saying "many a true word is spoken in jest"?
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 pm

cowboy71 wrote:I concur with Laura - there are some in "the scene" that are very serious about it. Yes, there is some joking element to it, but if there is not at least a hint of truth to it, it wouldn't be said in the first place.

I guess though I'm just referring to this forum. In general I think it's all friendly jest. Though if people choose to get offended when that clearly isn't the intent, that's kinda their own issue :bangers:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:12 pm

joking, serious, or not....I just find it really tiresome (the bitch charade here, that is). That's just me - I was never a major kidding/joking around kind of person. What I enjoy and get out of this forum is (for the most part) discussing bands, new recordings, gig reviews, and a lot of miscellaneous. So, I have no interest in bitching (again, kidding or not) about how this or that band or genre sucks, or farting or god knows what else. :lol: Sorry, but it's just not my thing or my interest.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:13 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:I concur with Laura - there are some in "the scene" that are very serious about it. Yes, there is some joking element to it, but if there is not at least a hint of truth to it, it wouldn't be said in the first place.

I guess though I'm just referring to this forum. In general I think it's all friendly jest. Though if people choose to get offended when that clearly isn't the intent, that's kinda their own issue :bangers:

The people that make the anti-power metal jokes genuinely don't like power metal, but they are just doing it to have some fun. I don't see it as a big deal. I think it's kind of funny.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Laura wrote:joking, serious, or not....I just find it really tiresome (the bitch charade here, that is). That's just me - I was never a major kidding/joking around kind of person. What I enjoy and get out of this forum is (for the most part) discussing bands, new recordings, gig reviews, and a lot of miscellaneous. So, I have no interest in bitching (again, kidding or not) about how this or that band or genre sucks, or farting or god knows what else. :lol: Sorry, but it's just not my thing or my interest.

And that's your prerogative but it's something that will always be a part of public Internet forums, whether you like it or not. It's the Internet, we kinda get a bit of every thing. There's stuff on here that I'm not interested in but that's just the way it is when you get a large group of people. It's pretty hard for everyone to agree on everything or anything.

:heavydrink:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:12 am

^That's the way people should act, don't take everything so damn seriously.

I know I've made a lot of fun about power metal weenies and The Unicorn Overlord in particular, but it's all in good fun. I wouldn't pick on someone if I noticed they don't like it or just to be mean. I get my fair share of jokes about my liking in girlie bands, but I don't mind it. I don't like any genre because it's cool or I'm "supposed" to like it. I'm pretty open about my favourite genres in metal and other music and mostly I just find it funny how it confuses, and even seems to irritate some, people that I have such a varied taste. Yes, I don't like power metal - I might listen to a song or two every now and then from some bands, like Blind Guardian even. If a friend of mine wants to listen to power metal, fine, I can tolerate it, but I expect them to tolerate, say, technical death metal, because it is my greatest love in metal, in return.
    Even my hate for Arkona isn't that strong actually. I don't want to listen to them and don't get why so many people fuss so much about them. I don't like thrash. Most black metal is lost on me. I love The Cardigans. And girlie bands. And the ultra technical death metal. In Kevinish, put that in your pipe and smoke it. :smoking:

Seems to me that it's the same people complaining every year about the lineup. If you only like three bands in the world, why the hell are you even going on a cruise with 40 or 42 bands on it? First time round I only had four bands I really cared about (Arsis, Epica, Malevolent Creation, Twilight of the Gods) onbroad, last time about ten (Atheist, Candlemass, Cannibal Corpse, God dethroned, Massacre, My Dying Bride, Nightwish, Pestilence, Samael, Therion), but for me the lineup was ok on both cruises. For 2013 I already have two wishlist bands on (Nile and Immolation), and will no doubt catch at least one set of Lacuna Coil (maybe both, depending on the running order) and In Flames (if they man up and do a special "oldies" set). I have faith in Andy&co to book some more bands I like for 70k, so I'm not worried. If I won't get any more wishlist bands, it's all good, more time for other things. And who knows, maybe I even end up liking some of the bands I wasn't liking before the cruise.

So, in conclusion, I'm sorry if I've mocked anyone's favourite band. It's only because I have better taste in music than you. :mrgreen:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:42 am

Thanks God, there are people who like different kinds of metal. Some prefer the extreme one, so they will go to the Barge and some other ones prefer other kinds and would prefer the 70K. I would never judge someone for their taste, we are all free to go to one gig and not to some other ones while the cruise.

Actually, there are only 13 bands announced for the 70K, more to come, so, some other bands can attract a lot of fans later in the year. Personally, the 2013 line-up is, for me, very interesting. I can't say that I want to see every bands - I don't know all of them either and as I don't like the extreme metal, I wont to go to see the bands who play that music, for sure -, but I'll be in the Turisas gigs first, then I will see who else while on the ship :headbanger: Thanks of my taste for metal music and my radio show, I discovered a lot of bands I never heard about, so, the cruise is for me a huge opportunity to see several bands I played in my shows and never seen live :wank:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:54 am

cowboy71 wrote:So, Barge versus 70K *deep breath*

*begin rant*

*end rant*

Well known facts and I'm surprised UMC didn't know. Or maybe they did know, but decided to go for it anyway?
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:19 am

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:

The people that make the anti-power metal jokes genuinely don't like power metal, but they are just doing it to have some fun. I don't see it as a big deal. I think it's kind of funny.

Some people like to joke about it, like on this forum, and that's fine, you can tell when it's all in good fun. But some people are just assholes. A black metal cunt once threatened to stab me because he didn't like the band t-shirt I was wearing. They're the worst type, fuckin' elite "kvlt" black metal bullshit.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:54 am

gnoff wrote:On 70k this year I got a few comments when I wore my pink T-shirt and pink fluffy backpack and bought a Corona whan I watched Dark FUNeral
    The fun police was there to make sure we were all taking the black metal band serious.

Yeah, they are everywhere. I was wearing a Lady Gaga t-shirt at Metalcamp and at least a dozen persons came to me and told me I'm not allowed to wear that on a metal festival. I'm not? Fuck that.
    At least on 70k no-one said anything about my lime green "Hello Cthulhu" t-shirt. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • Post Reply 461 posts