Post Reply 34 posts Page 1 of 1
Diving in Grand Turk
  • Nolli
    Wiper

Diving in Grand Turk

by Nolli » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Hii!

Anyone else planning on going for a dive in Grand Turk?
    Has there been arranged diving trips on the past Cruises? If not, the following company offers dive trips for cruise passengers:
    http://www.grandturkscuba.com/index.htm
    "What trip options does Blue Water Divers offer for cruise ship passengers?
    Certified Scuba Diving (max 6 divers): Only for certified divers who have at least one logged dive within the last 18 months. Requires a minimum of two certified divers. $110 per person for a one tank dive or $150 per person for a two tank dive, including tanks, weights, weight belt and dive guide. Gear rental is $30 per person including BCD, regulator, mask, fins and snorkel."

Minimum of 2.. I have PADI OWD Certification, so looking for people to dive with :)

- Olli
    VorpalBunny
    Petty Officer

Re: Diving in Grand Turk

by VorpalBunny » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:44 pm

A diving certification has been on my to do list for a few years... Haven't gotten around to it yet sorry. Hope you find people!
  • lampropelma
    Chief Petty Officer

by lampropelma » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:24 am

Do you think it should be possible to go to Salt Cay to see the Humpback whales?
  • Nolli
    Wiper

by Nolli » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:13 am

lampropelma wrote:Do you think it should be possible to go to Salt Cay to see the Humpback whales?

I'm sure there are some whale watching tours available, but for diving I've read the best place is at the Wall: "The action is at the "Wall," where the western edges of the island (and its necklace of coral reef) plunge dramatically 2,134m (7,000 ft.) into deep water, actually the leeward side of the Turks Island Passage (also known as the Columbus Passage), which lies between the Turks islands and the Caicos islands. Scuba divers flock here to enjoy panoramic wall dives on the vertical sides of the reefs."
    Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/gr ... z220Mv5Adw
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:14 am

Oh, that would be great to see some humpback whales, could eventually see the accessibility. I'll see all what is possible to do as a disabled person and see what I can do.

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

http://www.bandspromo.biz/home.html
  • lampropelma
    Chief Petty Officer

by lampropelma » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:22 am

We must know if it's possible to go to Salt Cay and take a boat to see whales.

But maybe it should be possible to see them from Cockburn
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:49 am

I know there were a few divers last cruise... I don't know is Imaygo plans to go again, but he was a diver
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:03 pm

I have my PADI, I'll probably look into diving closer to the cruise
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:54 am

I would love to go scuba diving but am not certified.

That being said, I still think snorkeling would be another really fun alternative. I have not researched this at all but does anyone know anything about snorkeling over there in the Cockburn region? :lol:
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    mikrima
    Wiper

by mikrima » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 am

Hi Nolli!
    Are you still looking for fellow divers?
    My friend and I will be on the cruise and since we just got our PADI OWD this July, we were hoping to go diving on this cruise as well.

The only worry I have is that last year we arrived at the island later than expected, resulting in a few people missing their booked tours.
    Then again, if we can get a full group of six together just from this ship, we should be fine and they might not make a fuss if we are late - because we will ALL be late.

So who would be up for it? With my friend, you and me, we would already be three people (if you are still in). Potentially alex_canada too?
    mikrima
    Wiper

by mikrima » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:20 am

Nolli just got back to me - we will try and organize something, research prices etc.
    Post here if anyone is interested in joining in. I also contacted a few people via PM that I have seen posting about Scuba in this or other threads.
  • JARI
    Petty Officer

by JARI » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Too drunk to dive. :shots: :shots:
    70k survivor 2013
    70k survivor 2015
    2017 cabin 6223
    ArlequinA
    Petty Officer

by ArlequinA » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:45 pm

I wanna go, but what if I don't have a diving certification? Is that mandatory?
    Korpiklaani | Alestorm | Cruachan | Adorned Brood | Vintersorg | Einherjer | Metsatöll | Diablo Swing Orchestra | Therion | Haggard | Kultur Shock | Orphaned Land | Moonspell | Twisted Sister | Blind Guardian | Lacrimosa | In Extremo | Andre Matos
  • Nolli
    Wiper

by Nolli » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:53 am

ArlequinA wrote:I wanna go, but what if I don't have a diving certification? Is that mandatory?

I contacted Grand Turk diving and they have room for divers. I'm not sure if they offers introduction dives for cruise passengers. I'll ask them on my next mail.
    So far I've informed them on 3 divers + 1 snorkeler. Need more! Reply here or send me PM!

- Nolli
    mikrima
    Wiper

by mikrima » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 am

Besides ArlequinA, X-Thor and torpedo20 have replied to me, saying that their interested.
    I will forward them the info you send me, ok?

EDIT: By the way, this is company we are looking at: http://www.gtdiving.com/
    Last edited by mikrima on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    VorpalBunny
    Petty Officer

by VorpalBunny » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:12 pm

I have no certifications (still), but am still interested in joining the diving group in whatever way I'm able to. (Snorkelling perhaps?)
    IMayGo
    Petty Officer

by IMayGo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:22 am

This year I went shore diving in Cayman and it was great

So maybe 3 of us will join you

Dragor (he told me about this thread)
    HKarath
    IMayGo
    IDidGo! Twice!
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:12 pm

VorpalBunny wrote:I have no certifications (still), but am still interested in joining the diving group in whatever way I'm able to. (Snorkelling perhaps?)

This is my case. I'll try and get it by the time of the cruise, but I can't guarantee it.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    torpedo20
    Petty Officer

by torpedo20 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:53 pm

mikrima:

I got your PMs thanks!
    Just don't want to deal with this right now while the Barge is ON!!!
    Definitely want to dive on Turks though so count me in for 70k cruise :headbanger:
    70,000 Tons of Metal: 2011(cabin: 6031), 2012(cabin: 2551), 2013(cabin:3023), 2014(cabin:2019), 2015(cabin:6455),2016(cabin:8369), 2017(cabin:8663), 2018(cabin:9227), 2019(cabin:2358), 2020(cabin:6703)
    Barge to Hell: 2012 (cabin: 2563)
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:48 am

Me + 4 are definitely trying to do a snorkeling adventure. I had a very good website for it but lost it
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    athun
    Petty Officer

by athun » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:55 am

im also in for some snorkel action. anyone finds anything good, please post. :death:
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 pm

i'll try to find the site, it had like 5 different options for snorkeling also had scuba options (but none of us are certified). Will post if i find it
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
  • Nolli
    Wiper

by Nolli » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:01 am

Hi all

So far with our group we have 6 confirmed divers and 1 snorkeler. There is room for 20 people on boats, so PM me for info if you want to join us!
    Little bonus for divers: I will be (actually my friend is) bringing new GoPro camera with me, so we can have nice high quality videos and pictures from our dives :)

- Nolli
    rockhound
    Petty Officer

by rockhound » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Nolli wrote:Hi all

So far with our group we have 6 confirmed divers and 1 snorkeler. There is room for 20 people on boats, so PM me for info if you want to join us!
    Little bonus for divers: I will be (actually my friend is) bringing new GoPro camera with me, so we can have nice high quality videos and pictures from our dives :)

- Nolli

One more confirmed snorkeler. ImayGo already booked me.
    wishlist:AmberianDawn-Andromeda-Ayreon-BeyondTheBridge-EchoesOfEternity-Leprous-LordOfMushrooms-LucaTurilli-[color=#40FF00]Kamelot[/color]-MistyWays-Nighwish-Pentagram-Rishloo--ShadowGallery-Sólstfir-ThoughChamber-VanCanto-VanGough-Viathin
    mikrima
    Wiper

by mikrima » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Ha, awesome! I did not see your last post, Nolli, about the GoPro camera. It just so happens that I have ordered one for myself for this trip (after spending several months of debating with my inner self, and then having my regular camera die on me and making the decision easier).
    So we will have two GoPro cameras onboard, very cool. Bet we can make a nice memento of our combined footage :) That way each of us is on the pictures/film too!
    That is IF mine arrives in time for the cruise.
    rockhound
    Petty Officer

by rockhound » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm

mikrima wrote:Ha, awesome! I did not see your last post, Nolli, about the GoPro camera. It just so happens that I have ordered one for myself for this trip (after spending several months of debating with my inner self, and then having my regular camera die on me and making the decision easier).
    So we will have two GoPro cameras onboard, very cool. Bet we can make a nice memento of our combined footage :) That way each of us is on the pictures/film too!
    That is IF mine arrives in time for the cruise.

I'm also bringing my GoPro camera. Hope we can get some good shots there. :shred: :shred: :shred:
    wishlist:AmberianDawn-Andromeda-Ayreon-BeyondTheBridge-EchoesOfEternity-Leprous-LordOfMushrooms-LucaTurilli-[color=#40FF00]Kamelot[/color]-MistyWays-Nighwish-Pentagram-Rishloo--ShadowGallery-Sólstfir-ThoughChamber-VanCanto-VanGough-Viathin
  • dragonbiker17
    Wiper

by dragonbiker17 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:20 pm

i would like to go snorkeling but i dont want to buy the boat tour. those are too expensive , id rather go get one in person on the street wherever the snorkeling place is. its cheaper that way and its probably the same tour. i was told you can just walk from the pier,.no need to even take a taxi. who is with me?
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:42 pm

dragonbiker17 wrote:i would like to go snorkeling but i dont want to buy the boat tour. those are too expensive , id rather go get one in person on the street wherever the snorkeling place is. its cheaper that way and its probably the same tour. i was told you can just walk from the pier,.no need to even take a taxi. who is with me?

I understand that's how Nolli et al are doing it. PM them if you want to join us! :bangers:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    mikrima
    Wiper

by mikrima » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:10 am

Exactly, we are not booking the tour via the boat/Royal Carribean official tour service - those are indeed a lot more expensive usually. We are booking directly from one of the shops on the island.
    PM Nolli if you need more details.
    torpedo20
    Petty Officer

by torpedo20 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Ok, since I let my diving lapse and they don't have instructors on that date to do a refresher course it's only snorkeling for me. :oops:
    (last time I took a dive was in Cuba '010. 3 freaking years ago... ouch!)

I booked the snorkeling with the same company you guys booked:

http://www.gtdiving.com/cruise.htm#cert-d

Snorkel only costs $40 US :headbanger:
    Apparently, we will need to get to the dive shop from the boat ourselves but they will drive us back.
    Hopefully, there will be some time to local brew tasting as well :cheers: :pound: :3drunks:

Cya all soon sailors! :headbanger: :beerbang:
    70,000 Tons of Metal: 2011(cabin: 6031), 2012(cabin: 2551), 2013(cabin:3023), 2014(cabin:2019), 2015(cabin:6455),2016(cabin:8369), 2017(cabin:8663), 2018(cabin:9227), 2019(cabin:2358), 2020(cabin:6703)
    Barge to Hell: 2012 (cabin: 2563)
    Jani
    Wiper

by Jani » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi guys,

I'd be interested in diving. I got certified recently. Do you have any spots left and any more details? I mean I can see the prices and requirements but what time and how long it's going to take etc.. Diving is amazing but I definitely want to explore the island and enjoy that lager in a beach bar as well. :)

thanks,
    Jani
    mikrima
    Wiper

by mikrima » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:31 am

We meet up at the dive shop at 8:30 I think, and most or all of us are doing two dives. From what I have read, the surface time between the two dives will be spend back on land though, so you could just join for the first dive and then explore the island after that. You should write to them (mention the 70.000 tons) and ask if there is more room on that boat, as I am not sure whether there are spots open or not.
    Jani
    Wiper

by Jani » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 am

ok, thanks! I'll check with the dive shop. So you are diving with GT diving and not with that option, "Blue water divers"?
  • Nolli
    Wiper

by Nolli » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:22 am

Hi

Yes, we booked with GTDiving. I'm already in Miami so don't know if there are any spots available. Earlier they said they have spots for 20 people total, but that was months ago. We have 12 people booked with our group. If you can still get a spot hooray!

We are also having a meet on the cruise 2 hours after muster drill. Location Upper pool bar. I will be wearing my diving gloves so its easy to spot me :)
Post Reply 34 posts Page 1 of 1