Post Reply 59 posts
Chances of "big" last minute announcements?
  • Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

Chances of "big" last minute announcements?

by Blumpkin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:00 pm

I suppose it's a matter of opinion of what you think of the bands, but I thought a lot of the "bigger" announcements (or announcements for "bigger" bands) for Barge happened at the last minute (like a week or two before the date). For example, I think Exodus was announced like 5 days before departure. What do you think the chances for this repeating for 70K? I know they tend to announce a few "smaller" bands to fill up the last remaining spots at the last minute, but I can't remember about the "bigger" bands for the last two 70K's.
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

Re: Chances of "big" last minute announcements?

by X-Thor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Yeah, I think we'll get one "I'M SO GLAD I BOOKED" band few days before the cruise. I'm looking forward to see which "smaller" bands we get.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Master Killer
    Crewman

by Master Killer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:36 pm

That of course depends very much if you are into the band or not. But on all previous cruises there were some "big" announcements very close before sailing.

On the first 70000tons Destruction got announced just a few weeks before or so. For any Thrash fan certainly a highlight. For some others this probably didn't do much. On the second 70000tons Candlemass got announced just a few days before sailing and Edguy also. For any Doom or Power Metal fan certainly a total wow effect. For people that are only into Thrash probably rather a meh. Didn't also Venom get announced very late in the game last year?
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Master Killer wrote:That of course depends very much if you are into the band or not. But on all previous cruises there were some "big" announcements very close before sailing.

On the first 70000tons Destruction got announced just a few weeks before or so. For any Thrash fan certainly a highlight. For some others this probably didn't do much. On the second 70000tons Candlemass got announced just a few days before sailing and Edguy also. For any Doom or Power Metal fan certainly a total wow effect. For people that are only into Thrash probably rather a meh. Didn't also Venom get announced very late in the game last year?

Well, I think we could agree on wether or not a band is "big", regardless of wether we like it or not...

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Master Killer
    Crewman

by Master Killer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:38 am

X-Thor wrote:
    Master Killer wrote:That of course depends very much if you are into the band or not. But on all previous cruises there were some "big" announcements very close before sailing.

Well, I think we could agree on wether or not a band is "big", regardless of wether we like it or not...

What is a big band? One that usually plays to 1,000 people? 5,000? 10,000? and over all where and also when?

If Helloween plays somewhere in the US they proably have what 500 people, maybe 1,000 when they are lucky. If they play in Sao Paolo or Rio they play to 8-10,000 people.

On the last 70000tons Nighwish was one of the "headliners" and I know that in Europe, at least in parts, they are huge, their albums go to No. 1 in some European charts! When they play the States they are a club band.

Lacuna Coil are pretty big in the US but back in Europe no-one cares.

Sabaton are headlining some pretty big Festivals in Europe, in the US they are a support band...

That is only the geographic part. You can do the same for the time line. Past January we had Exciter for example. Now they sold a couple of million records some decades ago. Newer generations of Metal fans don't even know the name. Do they count as a "big" band, because they were actually really "big" long time ago?

All relative, isn't it?
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:47 am

Master Killer wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:

What is a big band? One that usually plays to 1,000 people? 5,000? 10,000? and over all where and also when?

If Helloween plays somewhere in the US they proably have what 500 people, maybe 1,000 when they are lucky. If they play in Sao Paolo or Rio they play to 8-10,000 people.

On the last 70000tons Nighwish was one of the "headliners" and I know that in Europe, at least in parts, they are huge, their albums go to No. 1 in some European charts! When they play the States they are a club band.

Lacuna Coil are pretty big in the US but back in Europe no-one cares.

Sabaton are headlining some pretty big Festivals in Europe, in the US they are a support band...

That is only the geographic part. You can do the same for the time line. Past January we had Exciter for example. Now they sold a couple of million records some decades ago. Newer generations of Metal fans don't even know the name. Do they count as a "big" band, because they were actually really "big" long time ago?

All relative, isn't it?

Yes, all relative. But even the hardesy european power metal loving person would agree that Exodus (for example) is a big band. Similarly, I'd say that any US thrasher (OK, most) would admit that (again, for example) Blind Guardian or Helloween are big bands, even if they're not popular in their country.

--
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:53 am

Master Killer wrote:On the last 70000tons Nighwish was one of the "headliners" and I know that in Europe, at least in parts, they are huge, their albums go to No. 1 in some European charts! When they play the States they are a club band.

Before the cruise, Nightwish played a sold-out show in Los Angeles (that my ex-girlfriend managed to get us free tickets to) and it was a sold out show with tickets going for $300+ towards the last few days. That's a 6,000 person theater. . .
    I don't where in the US they're playing in clubs these days -- they sold out the show in San Francisco about a month ago for $75ish a ticket too.

I know that's just one example though; you're pretty dead-on on the others. It's mostly that metal just isn't big in the US. I feel like Helloween is, by name recognition, the "biggest" band we have on the cruise (maybe Dragonforce due to video game popularity?). Then you guys are telling me that Helloween probably isn't even a headliner and my mind is blown.

EDIT: That said, just about every Wintersun/Eluveitie show this current tour has sold out and it's really not for Eluveitie. If Wintersun was announced, I think that'd be a "big" name. Maybe I'm wrong again though.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:42 am

I wouldn't expect any headliners to be announced last minute (unless the ship sells out early and we get a reward from the Skipper) but certainly a band with a decent amount of name recognition can be one of the last ones.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:29 am

They have to sell Cabins - to there is no Reason to announce any "Big" Band a few Minutes before Departure, this must be done earlier under a Business Aspect. On the other Side - it seems to me that Andy never did anything under a Business Aspect......
    The biggest Bands in Germany - depending on the Size of the Venues they play here - are Sabaton, In Flames, Helloween and ...... Subway to Sally ......

Last Year Dec 20th it looks like this:
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived
    2023 - NO

www.lalasreisen.de
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:51 am

The chances of you getting an actual blumpkin are greater
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:05 am

I go for a 0,1%
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:29 am

following the first question, well the last year Nightwish was announced few weeks after the first announcement, Children of Bodom and Venom months later and Edguy near to the departure I think
    Frozen Crown-Therion-Iced Earth-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Powerwolf-Nanowar of Steel-Alestorm-Wintersun-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-Kalmah-Skeletonwitch-Mago de Oz-LuciferianLightOrchestra-Scepticflesh
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:59 am

Maybe not a headliner but certainly a 1 hour set band. Look at the lineup, we don't even have any "small" bands yet! I had at least heard of every single band on the lineup, except maybe Die Apokwhatever, who apparently has a following in Germany.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:08 am

Stained Class wrote:Maybe not a headliner but certainly a 1 hour set band. Look at the lineup, we don't even have any "small" bands yet! I had at least heard of every single band on the lineup, except maybe Die Apokwhatever, who apparently has a following in Germany.

That's because only Germans can pronounce that name! :lol: :lol:

--
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:09 am

Lala wrote:They have to sell Cabins - to there is no Reason to announce any "Big" Band a few Minutes before Departure, this must be done earlier under a Business Aspect. On the other Side - it seems to me that Andy never did anything under a Business Aspect......
    The biggest Bands in Germany - depending on the Size of the Venues they play here - are Sabaton, In Flames, Helloween and ...... Subway to Sally ......

I think we are doing that wrong. We should see how were we 39/40 days before departing, not on the same date (because this cruise departs one week later than last years', I think).

Not that it'd make any diference. It's just the proper way to do it, in my opinion.

--
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am

X-Thor wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Maybe not a headliner but certainly a 1 hour set band. Look at the lineup, we don't even have any "small" bands yet! I had at least heard of every single band on the lineup, except maybe Die Apokwhatever, who apparently has a following in Germany.

wonder if they can :lol:
    Frozen Crown-Therion-Iced Earth-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Powerwolf-Nanowar of Steel-Alestorm-Wintersun-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-Kalmah-Skeletonwitch-Mago de Oz-LuciferianLightOrchestra-Scepticflesh
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 am

Apo Reiter are shit.They play at a lot of festivals in Germany though and i think they play in Switzerland every year too for a concert i think.I can imagine though that the popularity of them and Subway to Sally is due to the fact that they play nearly every single Wacken and there are a large amount of people worldwide who go to that festival.So i kind of guess they eventually have gained a higher reputation than other bands just because of the Wacken festival.

To me as a European i would consider Metal Church as a big announcement.Reason why.Great Heavy metal band.Have been split up.Live in America so never had to many concerts in Europe and quite a hard band to catch.

I think to people in America and Canada going on this cruise what they would consider a 'Big' announcement would be a long established European act that doesn't play many gigs and especially don't really come to the U.S. for concerts.

Oppinions on what a big announcments obviously is different to other people but to me it defines a band that you think.'Holy shit i never thought i'd get to see this band' or 'what are the chances of this band comeing here ever'
    To me a big announcment isn't about how popular a band is among common metalheads.
  • Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:49 am

X-Thor wrote:

Just call them the Apocalyptic Riders. The translation is easier to pronounce. I started doing this after my gf who speaks German kept making fun of me when trying to pronounce their name.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:10 am

Metalwrath wrote:To me as a European i would consider Metal Church as a big announcement.Reason why.Great Heavy metal band.Have been split up.Live in America so never had to many concerts in Europe and quite a hard band to catch.

I think to people in America and Canada going on this cruise what they would consider a 'Big' announcement would be a long established European act that doesn't play many gigs and especially don't really come to the U.S. for concerts.

Opinions on what a big announcements obviously is different to other people but to me it defines a band that you think.'Holy shit i never thought I'd get to see this band' or 'what are the chances of this band coming here ever'
    To me a big announcement isn't about how popular a band is among common metal heads.

^^ +1 (after spelling corrections :cheers: )
    13 time survivor
  • KeithYorkMetal
    Petty Officer

by KeithYorkMetal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Personally, I think that if 70k put a band like Metallica or Slayer on the cruise, people would go somewhat nuts, but honestly, I haven't seen very many bands on here who spark my interest, except for Kreator, Helloween, Lacuna Coil, Tyr, In Flames and Dragonforce. But shit, put a band like Overkill or Exciter or Vektor on here....damn....i would give a fucking BJ for a lineup like that hahahahahaha :)
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 pm

^Well, the girls have tried that already with no luck. Who knows, maybe you can get Andy to book the bands. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • KeithYorkMetal
    Petty Officer

by KeithYorkMetal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:11 pm

i was more saying to get on the ship to see them..but holy shit really? xD
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Memnoch wrote:^Well, the girls have tried that already with no luck. Who knows, maybe you can get Andy to book the bands. :lol:

It worked with Kataklysm. Luckily though Andy never tried to collect :lol:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:12 pm

KeithYorkMetal wrote:Personally, I think that if 70k put a band like Metallica or Slayer on the cruise, people would go somewhat nuts, but honestly, I haven't seen very many bands on here who spark my interest, except for Kreator, Helloween, Lacuna Coil, Tyr, In Flames and Dragonforce. But shit, put a band like Overkill or Exciter or Vektor on here....damn....i would give a fucking BJ for a lineup like that hahahahahaha :)

DUDE...NO BRO-JOBS...PLEASE!!! GROSS!!!!

Also, you forgot Immolation on your interest list
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:12 pm

2 of those 3 were on last cruise without any BJs envolved (or at least that I am aware of).
    I say yes to Vektor :shred:
  • KeithYorkMetal
    Petty Officer

by KeithYorkMetal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:13 pm

meshuggah wrote:
    KeithYorkMetal wrote:Personally, I think that if 70k put a band like Metallica or Slayer on the cruise, people would go somewhat nuts, but honestly, I haven't seen very many bands on here who spark my interest, except for Kreator, Helloween, Lacuna Coil, Tyr, In Flames and Dragonforce. But shit, put a band like Overkill or Exciter or Vektor on here....damn....i would give a fucking BJ for a lineup like that hahahahahaha :)

DUDE...NO BRO-JOBS...PLEASE!!! GROSS!!!!

Also, you forgot Immolation on your interest list

Oh indeed i love Immolation!! :)
    and Bro-Jobs? xD hahahahahaha ;)
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:15 pm

To be honest if i had booked for 70k and they booked Slayer or Metallica i'd go nuts.I'd be outraged by them being booked as i know the kind of retarded fans they would bring on the ship.
    No offence to people i know who like those bands but you know the other kind of fans i'm talking about.
    Exhibit A : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLfvDG3B79s
  • KeithYorkMetal
    Petty Officer

by KeithYorkMetal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 pm

By the gods... :(
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Metalwrath wrote:To be honest if i had booked for 70k and they booked Slayer or Metallica i'd go nuts.I'd be outraged by them being booked as i know the kind of retarded fans they would bring on the ship.
    No offence to people i know who like those bands but you know the other kind of fans i'm talking about.

Agree, don't want enormous bands (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Iron Maiden) on the ship. It would just lose that special thing it has, and transform it into a ship full of groupies and musician/divas.
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Nobody has to worry about Slayer, Metallica, or Iron Maiden being booked. Not going to happen.
    13 time survivor
  • KeithYorkMetal
    Petty Officer

by KeithYorkMetal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Hmmm, maybe possibly Testament again? It would be interesting :)
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:21 pm

KeithYorkMetal wrote:Hmmm, maybe possibly Testament again? It would be interesting :)

They already have dates in US for that week, so it's ruled out :(
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Exhibit A : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLfvDG3B79s

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--
  • KeithYorkMetal
    Petty Officer

by KeithYorkMetal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Ahhh sad face :(
    Violator?
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Exhibit A : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLfvDG3B79s

OMG! that's too much :mrgreen:
    but he's by far not the worst...
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:23 pm

X-Thor wrote:
    Lala wrote:They have to sell Cabins - to there is no Reason to announce any "Big" Band a few Minutes before Departure, this must be done earlier under a Business Aspect. On the other Side - it seems to me that Andy never did anything under a Business Aspect......

I think we are doing that wrong. We should see how were we 39/40 days before departing, not on the same date (because this cruise departs one week later than last years', I think).

Not that it'd make any diference. It's just the proper way to do it, in my opinion.

Dates are the exact same.
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Metalwrath wrote:To be honest if i had booked for 70k and they booked Slayer or Metallica i'd go nuts.I'd be outraged by them being booked as i know the kind of retarded fans they would bring on the ship.

Will the band at the end of the video be the next announcement?
    athun
    Petty Officer

by athun » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:27 pm

that guy is awesome! i think he is looking to share a cabin. :death:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Blumpkin wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:

Dates are the exact same.

Wrong. First cruise was Jan 24-28, second was 23-27, this one will be 28-1.

--
  • Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:10 am

Wrong. First cruise was Jan 24-28, second was 23-27, this one will be 28-1.

Oh, guess I should've paid more attention to the dates. I was thinking this one is 24-28 as well.
Post Reply 59 posts