Post Reply 4744 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2014 Megathread
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: An Album World Premiere In The Caribbean!

by STACH100 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:35 am

Really good announcement! :death: :death: :death: :death: :death:
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:37 am

Obituary is a band that in a way symbolize when I just didn't get that death/black metal thing.

The year was 1997 and I was on my first festival ever. Midfyn festival in Denmark (16 years old)
    Me and my "hard rock" friend made it a competition to read what all those metal-heads t-shirts or flags said. What was the band that no one could read!?
    The festival lasted 5 days if i remember correctly and the ONLY band we could decipher was an OBITUARY flag (no one won the contest)

Today I rejoice in that this awesome band will be playing and that I will travel over the Atlantic to be on a cruise ship filled with music I didn't understand at all in 1997.
    Melisandre
    Oiler

by Melisandre » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:42 am

Cardest wrote:Now, the next band will be....

yes??

hehe

Yes, please!
    AHAB / Primordial / Prong / Shape of Despair
    mgrock
    Petty Officer

by mgrock » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:54 am

I´m fine with that announcement :deathmetal: but it looks like we get 70 % of the 2011 line up. :shred:
    2012 survivor in 4010
    2013 survivor in 4010
    2014 survivor in 4010
    2015 survivor in 9242
    2016 survivor in 9242
    2017 survivor in 9242
    2018 booked in 7252
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:17 am

"2011 had by FAR the best lineup.
    We have too many repeat bands from 2011!"
    - Too Many People :P
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:34 am

Solid announcement. :death:
    Sixth band from 2011 cruise, puts it as 30% of what has been announced. 1 from 2012. I haven't heard many complaints about these bands outside of the fact that they are repeats, quite the opposite... most people seem to embrace it.
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 am

Just might be my favorite line up so far but we got many more bands to ruin it
    I am happy with what we got :shred:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • mfrap
    Petty Officer

by mfrap » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:39 am

Looking so far I got tickets to the wrong year :shock: bring on the clean melodic grooves I love!!! :cheers:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:56 am

bodomdragon wrote:
    gnoff_the_creep wrote:Ah now I have seen plenty of moaning and bicthing from the "non grunting bands fans" too!

I understand everyone wants their band on and if teh next announcement wasnät that badn our their "genre" they get frustrated.

But I just get so tired when there's bitching about not getting anything announced, then there's bitching about what gets announced, or how fast it is getting announced now.

What would happen if all 40 bands were announced day 1?
    Probably bitching about all 40 bands announced at once...

There are plenty of ppl that used to come here and have a good time, and many of them are not here now, not due to no announcements, but due to too much negative feelings aired.

I've been close a few times to just drop the forum all together, why visit a place where I feel the main reason for going is to be sad or angry?

I'm gonna leave aside my personal music taste here, and I will just try to point some facts.

What people have paid:
    - Around $1000/$1500 for a ticket to the festival
    - Around $2000/$2500 for the whole experience when coming from out of the US.

What some/most people expect for that price:
    - An all-metal-genre festival
    - Good, reasonably renowned bands
    - Early announcements which give enough time to know the whole lineup - or at least most of it - and get familiar with it

What people have got so far:
    - 6 months of complete silence
    - Ridiculous customer service
    - 4/5 announcements since the silence which are totally BTH-focused.
    - Nothing weenie (in almost every possible definition of weenie :D) for the past 7 months.
    - Less than half of the lineup announced when the cruise departs next month!

And you seriously don't understand why people complain/moan/bitch about it?? I admire your positiveness and everything. Lately I'm also trying to stay positive, and as I got my plane tickets yesterday right now I'm super excited about the whole thing, but I can perfectly understand every single moaning, bitching and complaint around this festival people show. They have my full understanding and support. And I'm sorry that makes the experience in this forum for the veterans not as exciting as in previous years. But dude, blame it on UMC, not on the customers.

PS. If this can be considered a bitching post in any way, sorry about it :D Just wanted to point out some stuff.

Thing is, brutal folks were bitching about the lineup being too weenie last cruise and now weenie folks are bitching about the lineup being too brutal this year. Can't please everyone. The problem is that there is always bitching on this forum nowadays. It damn near never stops and I don't recall it being so bad back in the early days.

Still over half the lineup to go so hopefully we get some good weenie stuff coming up.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    jurjenmetal
    Oiler

by jurjenmetal » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:07 am

great announcement have seen them many times live love to see them on the poolstage :deathmetal: :deathmetal:
    2014 cabin 2026
    2016 cabin 7300
    2019 cabin 9401
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:07 am

All right Skipper. Its deal making time. Announce SPEEDWOLF and you won't hear another utterance of bitching from me. Done. Finito. I'll be a happy little floppy headed Canuck.

SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:24 am

vikingbitch wrote:All right Skipper. Its deal making time. Announce SPEEDWOLF and you won't hear another utterance of bitching from me. Done. Finito. I'll be a happy little floppy headed Canuck.

That makes it 2 reasons to hope for them onbroad :mrgreen: :P
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:42 am

mooyagi wrote:Thing is, brutal folks were bitching about the lineup being too weenie last cruise and now weenie folks are bitching about the lineup being too brutal this year. Can't please everyone. The problem is that there is always bitching on this forum nowadays. It damn near never stops and I don't recall it being so bad back in the early days.

Still over half the lineup to go so hopefully we get some good weenie stuff coming up.

I guess long waits and periods of silence get people more anxious. Can't really blame them.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:07 am

...I was going to complain about complaining. But whatever. In the great words of Nick Culmer, "So fucking what".
    Don't like it, don't go. It'll probably all turn out something like it has in the past. It'll be fine. Drink more beer. That's what I'll do.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:13 am

mooyagi wrote:Thing is, brutal folks were bitching about the lineup being too weenie last cruise and now weenie folks are bitching about the lineup being too brutal this year. Can't please everyone. The problem is that there is always bitching on this forum nowadays. It damn near never stops and I don't recall it being so bad back in the early days.

Yeah, it's getting better but yeah. I'm gonna try and phrase everything as a rejoice of what is happening rather than a counter bitch or counter counter bitch or whatever

Metal bands on a cruise ship. Greatest thing ever, no matter the lineup!!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:16 am

mooyagi wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:
    gnoff_the_creep wrote:Ah now I have seen plenty of moaning and bicthing from the "non grunting bands fans" too!

I understand everyone wants their band on and if teh next announcement wasnät that badn our their "genre" they get frustrated.

But I just get so tired when there's bitching about not getting anything announced, then there's bitching about what gets announced, or how fast it is getting announced now.

What would happen if all 40 bands were announced day 1?
    Probably bitching about all 40 bands announced at once...

There are plenty of ppl that used to come here and have a good time, and many of them are not here now, not due to no announcements, but due to too much negative feelings aired.

I've been close a few times to just drop the forum all together, why visit a place where I feel the main reason for going is to be sad or angry?

I'm gonna leave aside my personal music taste here, and I will just try to point some facts.

What people have paid:
    - Around $1000/$1500 for a ticket to the festival
    - Around $2000/$2500 for the whole experience when coming from out of the US.

What some/most people expect for that price:
    - An all-metal-genre festival
    - Good, reasonably renowned bands
    - Early announcements which give enough time to know the whole lineup - or at least most of it - and get familiar with it

What people have got so far:
    - 6 months of complete silence
    - Ridiculous customer service
    - 4/5 announcements since the silence which are totally BTH-focused.
    - Nothing weenie (in almost every possible definition of weenie :D) for the past 7 months.
    - Less than half of the lineup announced when the cruise departs next month!

And you seriously don't understand why people complain/moan/bitch about it?? I admire your positiveness and everything. Lately I'm also trying to stay positive, and as I got my plane tickets yesterday right now I'm super excited about the whole thing, but I can perfectly understand every single moaning, bitching and complaint around this festival people show. They have my full understanding and support. And I'm sorry that makes the experience in this forum for the veterans not as exciting as in previous years. But dude, blame it on UMC, not on the customers.

PS. If this can be considered a bitching post in any way, sorry about it :D Just wanted to point out some stuff.

Thing is, brutal folks were bitching about the lineup being too weenie last cruise and now weenie folks are bitching about the lineup being too brutal this year. Can't please everyone. The problem is that there is always bitching on this forum nowadays. It damn near never stops and I don't recall it being so bad back in the early days.

haha you know what's funny? On facebook there are actually more brvtals complaining about having Xandria and Leaves' Eyes than weenies complaining about the lineup.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:19 am

Stained Class wrote:haha you know what's funny? On facebook there are actually more brvtals complaining about having Xandria and Leaves' Eyes than weenies complaining about the lineup.

We need something like a Freedom Call announcement to really set them off :lol: Also, please no Freedom Call.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:31 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:haha you know what's funny? On facebook there are actually more brvtals complaining about having Xandria and Leaves' Eyes than weenies complaining about the lineup.

We need something like a Freedom Call announcement to really set them off :lol: Also, please no Freedom Call.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:32 pm

TOO MANY BANDS I WANT TO SEE! I NEED TIME TO SLEEP! ANDY, BOOK SOME LOUSY BANDS :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:43 pm

mooyagi wrote:

You raise a valid point.

I looked back over 70k 2013's lineup, and in my opinion there were probably 13....maybe 15 at most?.... 'barge-to-hell-like' bands. Compare that to about 22 on the 2012 and probably about 25 on the 2011 one.

Maybe Andy is over-compensating for that? Or maybe he is just getting the more br00tal announcements out of the way first to keep the extreme fans happy :heavydrink:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Obituary announcement is just fine with me even though I've seen them a few times, I'm looking forward to hearing thier new album.

Bring some more heavy bands!

Incantation
    Gorguts
    Autopsy
    Broken Hope
    Bolt Thrower

More heavy, less weenie! :deathmetal: :deathmetal:
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    scyll
    Petty Officer

by scyll » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:04 pm

onenight wrote:Obituary announcement is just fine with me even though I've seen them a few times, I'm looking forward to hearing thier new album.

Incantation
    Gorguts
    Autopsy
    Broken Hope
    Bolt Thrower

See, that's exactly what annoys me about "extreme" metal fans. They don't seem to want their share of the cake, the want the whole cake. As a weenie metal fan (and some other harder genres too), I'm happy when a band I don't like gets announced if it pleases many people (for example, Obituary or Satyricon). Where I get pissed, though, is when a weenie band gets announced and the extreme fans are all like "fuck you all and your false, boooooring, they suck, bla bla bla". Can't they just be happy about some sleeping time and also about bands being added for all tastes? When I answered on FB yesterday "Good one. I think we deserve a weenie announcement now though!", I was replied by someone "Don't be greedy, you have enough." There are, what, 3 weenie bands right now out of 18? Come on. I know crying about the crying is stupid, but at some point, all we should try to do is respect other people's tastes and opinions, that's all I'm saying.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Yeah, there will always be ones like that unfortunately.

But like everything, you shouldn't be selective and proclaim that they are all like that. There are at least a few understanding ones already proclaiming that they have too much awesome and need some nap time :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:17 pm

scyll wrote:See, that's exactly what annoys me about "extreme" metal fans. They don't seem to want their share of the cake, the want the whole cake. As a weenie metal fan (and some other harder genres too), I'm happy when a band I don't like gets announced if it pleases many people (for example, Obituary or Satyricon). Where I get pissed, though, is when a weenie band gets announced and the extreme fans are all like "fuck you all and your false, boooooring, they suck, bla bla bla". Can't they just be happy about some sleeping time and also about bands being added for all tastes? When I answered on FB yesterday "Good one. I think we deserve a weenie announcement now though!", I was replied by someone "Don't be greedy, you have enough." There are, what, 3 weenie bands right now out of 18? Come on. I know crying about the crying is stupid, but at some point, all we should try to do is respect other people's tastes and opinions, that's all I'm saying.

THIS. I would just add the word "some" between "about" and ""extreme"" in the first sentence.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 pm

bernabeit wrote:Good announcement!! We do need more range though......Bring on:

Sirenia
    Revamp
    Midnattsol
    Battlelore
    Wintersun
    Hypocrisy
    Kalmah
    Sylosis
    Equilibrium
    Battle Beast
    Persuader
    Artillery
    Warbringer
    Legion of the Damned
    Testament
    Blind Guardian
    Amorphis
    Brainstorm
    Threshold
    Pagan's Mind

That'll do nicely!!

Dude i LOVE that list!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:24 pm

I dont 'get' the narrow-minded nature. That's the one thing I don't get, but unfortunately you find this in every facet of life.

I mean, I just did a random shuffle on my itunes and these are the ten artists that came up:

queensryche, royal hunt, jakalope, dream theater, the donnas, running wild, municipal waste, brand new, alison krauss, every mothers nightmare

Got some classic metal, some prog, some alt, some glam, some country even. And I love each and every one of those artists and genres.

Do extreme music fans ONLY listen to extreme music?

I could never *JUST* listen to 'weenie' metal no matter how much I love it!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Yeah, people are going to complain and that's their problem. I only get annoyed when people say they want NO weenie metal. That's not very many people though and half the time they're just joking anyways.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:27 pm

scyll wrote:
    onenight wrote:Obituary announcement is just fine with me even though I've seen them a few times, I'm looking forward to hearing thier new album.

Incantation
    Gorguts
    Autopsy
    Broken Hope
    Bolt Thrower

See, that's exactly what annoys me about "extreme" metal fans. They don't seem to want their share of the cake, the want the whole cake. As a weenie metal fan (and some other harder genres too), I'm happy when a band I don't like gets announced if it pleases many people (for example, Obituary or Satyricon). Where I get pissed, though, is when a weenie band gets announced and the extreme fans are all like "fuck you all and your false, boooooring, they suck, bla bla bla". Can't they just be happy about some sleeping time and also about bands being added for all tastes? When I answered on FB yesterday "Good one. I think we deserve a weenie announcement now though!", I was replied by someone "Don't be greedy, you have enough." There are, what, 3 weenie bands right now out of 18? Come on. I know crying about the crying is stupid, but at some point, all we should try to do is respect other people's tastes and opinions, that's all I'm saying.

:lol: :lol: I knew I'd get a reaction out of someone, just did'nt think they would take it so personally. I for one like all genres of metal. I missed Helloween on the last cruise and would love to see them on this one. Also Angra and Gotthard which are 2 bands I've never seen. If you would look at my wishlist you would see it's not all death metal. I was'nt bashing anyones taste, if there's a band that gets announced that I don't like I really don't care, I'm going regardless and I'm going to have a great fucking time! :cheers: :3drunks:
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:33 pm

onenight wrote:
    :lol: :lol: I knew I'd get a reaction out of someone, just did'nt think they would take it so personally. I for one like all genres of metal. I missed Helloween on the last cruise and would love to see them on this one. Also Angra and Gotthard which are 2 bands I've never seen. If you would look at my wishlist you would see it's not all death metal. I was'nt bashing anyones taste, if there's a band that gets announced that I don't like I really don't care, I'm going regardless and I'm going to have a great fucking time! :cheers: :3drunks:

YOU. I like. And I'm not just saying that because you have a Savatage avatar :)

GOOD attitude my friend.

I just think some people have taken the 'i hate weenie' thing waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far, which is why we weenie fans can get a bit defensive at times.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:41 pm

cowboy71 wrote:
    I just think some people have taken the 'i hate weenie' thing waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far, which is why we weenie fans can get a bit defensive at times.

THIS is an important point that some people miss I think, which leads to the annual summer bitchception event :lol:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    scyll
    Petty Officer

by scyll » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:48 pm

bodomdragon wrote:
    scyll wrote:See, that's exactly what annoys me about "extreme" metal fans. They don't seem to want their share of the cake, the want the whole cake. As a weenie metal fan (and some other harder genres too), I'm happy when a band I don't like gets announced if it pleases many people (for example, Obituary or Satyricon). Where I get pissed, though, is when a weenie band gets announced and the extreme fans are all like "fuck you all and your false, boooooring, they suck, bla bla bla". Can't they just be happy about some sleeping time and also about bands being added for all tastes? When I answered on FB yesterday "Good one. I think we deserve a weenie announcement now though!", I was replied by someone "Don't be greedy, you have enough." There are, what, 3 weenie bands right now out of 18? Come on. I know crying about the crying is stupid, but at some point, all we should try to do is respect other people's tastes and opinions, that's all I'm saying.

THIS. I would just add the word "some" between "about" and ""extreme"" in the first sentence.

Oh absolutely, I didn't mean to imply they are all like that, I know they aren't! :P I'm just talking about the vocal minority that yaps every time a power metal band is mentionned in a conversation. And I did not take it personal, I just felt like gnoff a little; the constant bitching annoys me and I would just like everyone to get along. I won't judge anyone's tastes, and I feel it should just be the same the other way around! :beerwink:
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:27 pm

scyll wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:

Oh absolutely, I didn't mean to imply they are all like that, I know they aren't! :P I'm just talking about the vocal minority that yaps every time a power metal band is mentionned in a conversation. And I did not take it personal, I just felt like gnoff a little; the constant bitching annoys me and I would just like everyone to get along. I won't judge anyone's tastes, and I feel it should just be the same the other way around! :beerwink:

Please bring more weenie bands. I like what we have all ready and if we get to many more bands I really want to see I will have to start missing sets I want to see besides the fact I like some time to eat and rest
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:31 pm

scyll wrote: vocal minority that yaps every time a power metal band is mentionned in a conversation

Some current comments from Hatebook:

"Would not feel bad if we left the dock without victory,leaves eyes and xandria."

"Leaves Eyes should just leave."

REALLY? IS that necessary?
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    bernabeit
    Petty Officer

by bernabeit » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Leaves Eyes and Xandria are bands I really want to see as well Dark Tranquillity, Carcass, Obituary and other heavier bands. Bring on all types of metal I reckon \m/
    Wishlist: Battlelore, Bloodbath, Borknagar, Communic, Dimmu Borgir, Dying Fetus, Gojira, Hypocrisy, Legion of the Damned, Midnattsol, Nightwish, Persuader, Power Trip, Suidakra, Warbringer, Whispered, Within Temptation.
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:42 pm

bernabeit wrote:Leaves Eyes and Xandria are bands I really want to see as well Dark Tranquillity, Carcass, Obituary and other heavier bands. Bring on all types of metal I reckon \m/

I can not be a "Bring on all types of metal " guy, but if 13 to 15 of the 40 are bands I like, then I am happy. I don't think that is too much to ask.
    Right now I am at 6 of 16, so right on course I guess.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:19 pm

bernabeit wrote:Leaves Eyes and Xandria are bands I really want to see as well Dark Tranquillity, Carcass, Obituary and other heavier bands. Bring on all types of metal I reckon \m/

Its all about diversity.
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:30 pm

I like the line-up so far. Lots of "new" bands (to me!) or bands that I really should have listened to more carefully and/or earlier. I know I'll have a great time at any show I go to. Even if it's by a band I definitely don't like, I will enjoy the company of some of the most awesome people in the history of the universe, at a place that I feel is very close to what I think Heaven is (and I'm Catholic! :P ). The cruise could have only Justin Bieber and One Direction and I'd STILL have an awesome time (though I'd probably skip the merch stand).

That being said, I would like a few more weenie bands. Including Freedom Call.

Oh, and if Blind Guardian gets onbroad, you won't find a happier guy than me. :cool: (And I'll buy Jake and Joey drinks)
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:12 pm

This forum has become so wayward since it first started, most of the "brutals" quit the forum and there's been more "weenie" bitching about "brutals" (and with being so few "brutals" left there has been more than one occasion where I've taken some of the bashing quite personally but have brushed it off as much as its attributed to being quite done with these cruises) than ever this past year and some. I've liked to think my personal bitching has been how announcements etc have been handled rather than the bands announced for the vast majority - hell, I was crushed for a lot of you that were looking forward to Kamelot and still hope you get a great replacement.

A lot of those into more extreme music are a bit more sensitive this time around but understandably to an extent - no word about another Barge to Hell, as shown in Dallas's numbers above extreme metal had the short end of the stick on the last cruise. Add on to the anxiety those six months of silence caused... yeah.

I think we need to find a new way to deal with our frustrations to help break down the brutal vs weenie divide. Sometimes we can get carried away, I do and I know many of you do as well. Bitching about semantics of the cruise is fair game but if you see someone saying something you find offensive or overtly negative about a band or genre call them on it with a safety word. Safety words as follows (must include the smiley shown to encourage good humor):

Bitching about extreme metal: APPLE :boobs:

Bitching about weenie metal: ORANGE :wank:

Who's up for giving this method at least a small try to clean this up?

So uhhh.... SPEEDWOLF? SPEEDWOLF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GZsdp-ZmZo

:shred: :shred: :shred:

Seriously, you can't like Motorhead and not like this band.
    Last edited by vikingbitch on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 pm

X-Thor wrote:The cruise could have only Justin Bieber and One Direction and I'd STILL have an awesome time (though I'd probably skip the merch stand).[/size]

Don't you think that might be pushing it a bit?
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:53 pm

meshuggah wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:The cruise could have only Justin Bieber and One Direction and I'd STILL have an awesome time (though I'd probably skip the merch stand).[/size]

Don't you think that might be pushing it a bit?

Indeed!!!!
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
Post Reply 4744 posts