Post Reply 4744 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2014 Megathread
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: FIREWORKS!

by Azazel101 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:39 pm

markku1 wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:For those complaining about the unbalanced nature of the lineup, I've done an analysis (yes I have too much time on my hands - I'm on holidays!!)

I've generalised a lot in places, but it gives a general idea. Basically it is fair to say that Thrash and Power Metal fans are definitely being short changed this year.

Genre - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014
    Death - 3 - 6 - 4 - 5
    Black - 2 - 3 - 2 - 1
    Doom - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2
    Thrash - 13 - 9 - 8 - 5
    Melodeath - 5 - 4 - 2 - 4
    Power - 6 - 6 - 6 - 3
    Folk - 4 - 4 - 7 - 3
    Hard Rock/Heavy Metal - 4 - 3 - 8 - 3
    Symphonic - 1 - 3 - 3 - 2
    Industrial - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1
    Pirate - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0

5 Death this year ??? I count only 2 And 8 Thrash !

DTA, Obituary, Carcass, Puget Stench make 4 and maybe Izagrim?
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:07 pm

I could stand a few folk additions.

I am not very big on splitting hairs with genre labeling, but I feel the line up is pretty close to the first two cruises in balance between "extreme metal" and others(prog/power/folk/glam/whateverthefuckelse).

Also, I am surprised there isn't a beer sponsor for this thing...
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:43 pm

Chris wrote:I could stand a few folk additions.

I am not very big on splitting hairs with genre labeling, but I feel the line up is pretty close to the first two cruises in balance between "extreme metal" and others(prog/power/folk/glam/whateverthefuckelse).

I totally agree on all notes :dreams:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    mindgrind
    Petty Officer

by mindgrind » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Stone Brewing Co. Escondido, CA :heavydrink: :belly: :pound: :chug: :cheers: :beerhorns: you WI. GUY'S ARRR all right.......
    2019 - Deck 2
    2018 - Deck 10
    2017 - Deck 7
    2016 -
    2015 - Deck 9
    2014 - Deck 4
    2013 - Deck 3
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 6
    2011 - Deck 7
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Azazel101 wrote:DTA, Obituary, Carcass, Puget Stench make 4 and maybe Izagrim?

Bingo. Like I said. I. HAVE. GENERALISED!!

I love it how you say something like that, yet people still feel the need to correct you :roll: :lol:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    SwallowYourSun
    Crewman

by SwallowYourSun » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:36 pm

I love Stone beer... One of America's Best breweries.... I also love Cynic..... can Mercenary be Kamelots replacement?
    2018 wishlist:
    Finntroll, Wintersun, Wolfheart, In mourning , Interbeing, Aether Realm , Ne OBLIVISCARIUS , Eternal tears of sorrow, Dark Tranquillity, Swallow the sun, Thurisaz, Anathema, Devin Townsend Project, Shade Empire
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:55 pm

Chris wrote:

After the first cruise I'm surprised Foster's wasn't all over that :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:10 am

cowboy71 wrote:

I love it how you say something like that, yet people still feel the need to correct you :roll: :lol:

Hey, death metal is a serious matter. Btw, Izegrim is thrash, not death. Carcass has some death, thrash and grind elements, but I'd put them in the melodeath category, because that is their most dominant side nowadays. So, DTA, Obituary and Pungent Stench are the only death metal onbroad.

Looking at the list I think it's obvious that thrash has been over represented in the past and this time round it's closer to what it should be. First year we had almost one third of the lineup being thrash and that is waaaaaaaaaay too much, no matter how you slice it. We've been lacking in death metal, except in 2012 which was a rather good year in that respect.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:43 am

Memnoch wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:

Hey, death metal is a serious matter. Btw, Izegrim is thrash, not death. Carcass has some death, thrash and grind elements, but I'd put them in the melodeath category, because that is their most dominant side nowadays. So, DTA, Obituary and Pungent Stench are the only death metal onbroad.

Looking at the list I think it's obvious that thrash has been over represented in the past and this time round it's closer to what it should be. First year we had almost one third of the lineup being thrash and that is waaaaaaaaaay too much, no matter how you slice it. We've been lacking in death metal, except in 2012 which was a rather good year in that respect.

Really?
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:01 am

STACH100 wrote:Oh yeah Helix would be great!!!
    And Cowboy so far everyone is being shortchanged.

I wouldn't mind Helix being added .... many great hits in the 80's I think it was the 80's :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:31 am

SwallowYourSun wrote:can Mercenary be Kamelots replacement?

THIS.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:39 am

STACH100 wrote:I definitely do not put GraveDigger in the powermetal genre.

Me either . I guess I'm a lover of power metal. I like. 11 of the bands categorized as power metal on the previous page.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    epartos
    Petty Officer

by epartos » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:05 am

Memnoch wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:

Now now.. there is no such thing as to much thrash!! :viking:
    Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Get these guys on the boat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKLKzE77YrM
    epartos
    Petty Officer

by epartos » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:06 am

Stained Class wrote:So I'm just throwing this out there. I'm really happy with the lineup myself but it's true that we are lacking in power metal. This band is really really good and American and not very big, so I imagine they'd be pretty easy to book. If Andy reads this maybe you'll consider them :mrgreen: Armory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5t-r7v-qIk

Wahey!! That was damn good. Wouldn´t mind seeing them at all!

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:17 am

epartos wrote:Now now.. there is no such thing as to much thrash!!

Yes, there is. And to me personally even 1 thrash band is too much. But I can live with a few onbroad. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    epartos
    Petty Officer

by epartos » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:21 am

Memnoch wrote:
    epartos wrote:Now now.. there is no such thing as to much thrash!!

Yes, there is. And to me personally even 1 thrash band is too much. But I can live with a few onbroad. :beerwink:

I have my roots firmly set in the thrash genre, but I thoroughly love death as well, so I am happy either way! :shred:

carlynjason
    Petty Officer

by carlynjason » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:23 am

The phrase power metal makes me cringe, as an old fart ,power metal to me is what i call "nursery rhyme metal" where everything bounces along and has clever rhymes, and sunshine flows from unicorn asses with dragons cutting keys with swords of awesomeness, love to cliche :)
    when metal was king the thing that killed it was segregation , im sure lemmy said "its all rock n roll" i can feel the same elitist attitude again where labels take over, stop stop stop, its not to hard to say i like metal, and if pressed say..........mmmmm heavy :) rant over :) ok so who has the most specific genre of metal name ? like black metal symphonic grindcore sleaze stoner powerpop, thats the only metal i like :)
    Dimma
    Petty Officer

by Dimma » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:08 am

Power Metal morphed into symphonic pop something, just like 'hair' metal morphed into MTV ballads.

Both changes were cringeworthy.
    2013 Wishlist : Doro
    2014 Wishlist : Bands
    2015 Wishlist : Money
    2016 Wishlist : Majesty
  • headlinerluxi
    Petty Officer

by headlinerluxi » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:56 am

2011 2012 2013 2014
    Power 6 6 6 3
    Hard Rock/Heavy Metal 4 3 8 3

so hopefully 3 more powermetal and 3 more heavy metal bands....that would be great
    2012 survivor
    2013 survivor
    2014 survivor
    2016 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2019 !!!
    Savatage Queensryche Powerwolf Dokken Megadeth Mob Rules UDO Wasp Ripper Owens Tesla Y&T Armored Saint Testament Iced Earth Sabaton DAD Tesla Cinderella Brainstorm
  • lampropelma
    Chief Petty Officer

by lampropelma » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:46 am

headlinerluxi wrote:2011 2012 2013 2014
    Power 6 6 6 3

so hopefully 3 more powermetal and 3 more heavy metal bands....that would be great

I agree
    MLH
    Crewman

by MLH » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 am

Power 6 6 6 3

I don't really see 3 PM bands around. The few bits that i've heard from Haggard or Rising Storm aren't really power metal. Xandria seems to be more towards the symphonic metal side too. SO imo both EU and US power metal are currently non-excistant onBoard. For me European PM is at least something like Helloween/Rhapsody or older Statovarius and Us having Jag Panzer, Omen and such.

But indeed could use more both along those lines.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 am

MLH wrote:
    Power 6 6 6 3

I don't really see 3 PM bands around. The few bits that i've heard from Haggard or Rising Storm aren't really power metal. Xandria seems to be more towards the symphonic metal side too. SO imo both EU and US power metal are currently non-excistant onBoard. For me European PM is at least something like Helloween/Rhapsody or older Statovarius and Us having Jag Panzer, Omen and such.

But indeed could use more both along those lines.

Here's how I look at it:
    Symphonic/Power: Xandria
    Prog/Power: Symphony X, Rising Storm
    Heavy/Power: Vicious Rumors

So there are no "pure" power metal bands yet.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:54 am

SwallowYourSun wrote:I love Stone beer... One of America's Best breweries.... I also love Cynic..... can Mercenary be Kamelots replacement?

Did a tasting dinner last weekend of the first 4 of Stone's Vertical Epic 2002-2005. Incredible beer!
  • broegaard
    Chief Petty Officer

by broegaard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:03 am

pure power metal = Iced Earth?
    metal4ever
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:06 am

broegaard wrote:pure power metal = Iced Earth?

I think so. Depends on people's perceptions. I'm hoping for a power metal band for all the people that really want them (not including me) so one of them should answer that :mrgreen: I'm fine with the lineup, don't care if the rest are bands I like.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • broegaard
    Chief Petty Officer

by broegaard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:24 am

Stained Class wrote:

I think so. Depends on people's perceptions. I'm hoping for a power metal band for all the people that really want them (not including me) so one of them should answer that :mrgreen: I'm fine with the lineup, don't care if the rest are bands I like.

the "new" Insomnium EP is so good!!!!
    metal4ever
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:29 am

broegaard wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

the "new" Insomnium EP is so good!!!!

Insomnium is definitely near the top of my wish list. Never seen them and they aren't playing any fests I'm going to yet.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • broegaard
    Chief Petty Officer

by broegaard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:36 am

the "new" Insomnium EP is so good!!!![/quote]
    Insomnium is definitely near the top of my wish list. Never seen them and they aren't playing any fests I'm going to yet.[/quote]

Saw them while I was living in Denver (November 2012) - Epica, Alestorm

This festival is very interesting....maybe, just maybe....

10.07.2014 | (D) Rockharz festival - Amorphis, Wolfheart, Helloween, Primal Fear, Sabaton, Insomnium, Sodom, Soilwork, Powerwolf, Gloryhammer, Children Of Bodom,.....
    metal4ever
    RootOfAllEvil
    Crewman

by RootOfAllEvil » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 am

broegaard wrote:This festival is very interesting....maybe, just maybe....

10.07.2014 | (D) Rockharz festival - Amorphis, Wolfheart, Helloween, Primal Fear, Sabaton, Insomnium, Sodom, Soilwork, Powerwolf, Gloryhammer, Children Of Bodom,.....

Ticket is arleady hanging at my pinboard...
    Fortunately it's only one hour's drive from where I live.

Don't forget to mention Legion of the Damned, Unleashed and Equillibrium (one of my faves).

http://www.rockharz-festival.com/en/
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 am

RootOfAllEvil wrote:
    broegaard wrote:This festival is very interesting....maybe, just maybe....

Ticket is arleady hanging at my pinboard...

on mine too - even i have to drive 5 or 6 hours to east Germany......
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived - 2021 - definetly maybe NO

www.lalasreisen.de
  • broegaard
    Chief Petty Officer

by broegaard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:55 am

for me is a 11 hours flight + train....But..........!!!!!!

Next week I will arrange my 2014 vacation.....
    metal4ever
  • mfrap
    Petty Officer

by mfrap » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:I love beer

:wank:
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:32 am

Where is this festival ? :lol:
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
  • broegaard
    Chief Petty Officer

by broegaard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:39 am

jodionline wrote:

Where is this festival ? :lol:

germany :cheers:
    metal4ever
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:43 am

Of course where else. I had to know this, because I was born in Duisburg and from there comes König Pilsner. :D
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
  • Electrichead
    Crewman

by Electrichead » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Needs more HIGH ON FIRE!
    2013, 2014, 2015 survivor
    athun
    Petty Officer

by athun » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:35 pm

epartos wrote:Now now.. there is no such thing as to much thrash!! :viking:

:bangers:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Stained Class wrote:

I think so. Depends on people's perceptions

To your first sentence Joey, I say, 'Surely you jest!!!' :shock:

Then I read the second sentence and am, like, yeah okay, I guess so :oops: :?
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Beeeeeeeeeer :3drunks:
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Will be plenty of drinking for me this cruise!! And lots of 'yeeeah I'll go see that gig if I feel like it', rather than staying semi-sober as I need to run back and forth between stages to catch 'must see' shows like I've had to do previous cruises.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
Post Reply 4744 posts