Post Reply 25 posts Page 1 of 1
Leaves' Eyes...WTF?
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

Leaves' Eyes...WTF?

by meshuggah » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:32 am

So, I've been listening to Leaves' Eyes for the past couple of days, since I've never heard them. How is this band in any way considered "metal". To my ears they are pop rock. I'm not saying it's bad music...actually it's catchy and the lead vocalist has good range and expression (even though she sings through her nose which drives me crazy), but how is this METAL???
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: Leaves' Eyes...WTF?

by Stained Class » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:41 am

They have guitar distortion and they sing about vikings? I don't know...
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 am

I just checked them out. Froya's Theme sounds fairly metal to me. It's even got a silk and gravel thing going halfway through the song. This is the only song of theirs I've heard so far, but it brings Epica to mind.
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Liv Kristine (singer) will always be associated with the metal scene because she used to be in a much better metal band called Theatre of Tragedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C22hWHK0Qo

Leaves Eyes are terrible. However, I heavily prefer dark/doom styled metal to fantasy/symphonic styled metal.
    Pyramus
    Crewman

by Pyramus » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Hmm what album are you listening to that's not metal?

I'm listening to their album Meredead and ~80% of the songs I would consider "metal". They even have death vocals on the song Sigrlinn.

I think they'll be interesting to see.
    2013 Survivor, 2014 booked.
    Apocalyptica - Tristania - Nemesea - Dark Tranquillity - Lacuna Coil - Arch Enemy
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Well, we had Gotthard onbroad (and they kicked all kinds of ass!)... I'd say Leaves' Eyes are way closer to metal than Gotthard, so...
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:44 pm

rwalters wrote:Liv Kristine (singer) will always be associated with the metal scene because she used to be in a much better metal band called Theatre of Tragedy.

Leaves Eyes are terrible. However, I heavily prefer dark/doom styled metal to fantasy/symphonic styled metal.

I didn't know Theatre of Tragedy, and listened to some of the link you sent. That band's guitar sound and other vocals compliment her much better. Thanks for the enlightenment :cheers:
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Ill probably leave the set after I hear New Found Land. Besides for that one, theres only a very select few I enjoy.
    Krys
    Chief Petty Officer

by Krys » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:09 pm

I'll admit I have not heard of them but might check them out depending on the scheduling. We'll see. I won't knock it until I hear it live.
    2014 - Cabin 4537!
    2015 - Cabin 6471!
    2016 - ???
    2017 - Likely my return :D .
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Not a band I want to see but I welcome them!
    I need time to nap :heavydrink:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    Badgerbomb300
    Petty Officer

by Badgerbomb300 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Damn... I guess I'll have some elbow room when I see them :lol:

Listening to 'Emerald Island' and it's Metal, so looking forward to seeing them finally after listening to them for three albums.
    Wishlist: Chthonic,Bifröst,Hamatom,HeavenShallBurn,Hirax,HolyGrail,Hypocrisy,IgnisFatuu,
    LegionOfTheDamned,Mokoma,Powerwolf,Schelmish,Suidakra,TenggerCavalry,UnleashTheArchers

UMC 2012,B12,13,14,15,16,17
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:43 pm

X-Thor wrote:Well, we had Gotthard onbroad (and they kicked all kinds of ass!)... I'd say Leaves' Eyes are way closer to metal than Gotthard, so...

I can only agree. Just more for the women on board.
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board 2020!
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:12 am

Certainly not the heaviest band on the planet, but certainly metal.

I must admit that I'm excited for them to be on broad more for the prospect that Atrocity will perform though :beerbang:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:33 am

I'm a big fan of Leaves' Eyes, as well Liv's former band Theatre of Tragedy. Guess I have to agree that LE is not metal - certainly NOT according to my highly personal definition of what metal is. Metal to me is the stuff that took 70s-style rock & hard rock to a whole new level of heavy - the stuff that feels like it's literally grabbing you by the throat while making your heart beat really fast & furious (and it feels great!). Like when I saw Opeth for the first time in 2005 (not knowing their music and having never heard death growls - went strictly because of the Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree connection) and hearing songs like Deliverance - I was like - this is different, this is amazing - I need to hear more of THIS (metal) and I was pretty much an instant addict. The heaviest stuff (what bands I associate the most with the word metal) is what grabs me the the most, if you will. I mean - good god - I saw Bolt Thrower last Saturday - they are total kick-ass METAL!! Haha - don't think anyone could argue with that.

Having said that, I love many bands that fall all over the spectrum of the super broad umbrella term metal...as well, of course - tons of bands & music that fall way outside of metal.

Back to Leaves' Eyes, I especially love Liv's voice....it has such a soft, gentle, beautiful quality to it. Favorite songs of mine off the top of my head are Irish Rain, Lovelorn, Norwegian Lovesong, My Destiny, Scarborough Fair (cover), and especially For Amelie http://youtu.be/74RD2JpGDhc
    Last edited by Laura on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:44 am

Liv's solo album on massacre records is amazing.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:24 pm

I really like bands with girls singing, specially if they have something really special and original to offer as sound or lyrics.. but I just can´t find a single song I really like from this band, nothing sound really good and original to me from them..I mean:

-The voice.. well is the same voice kind as Within Temptation or Delain for example, but the last 2 sounds much better
    -The lyrics well nothing original, nothing elaborated, reminds me old Xandria
    -The music well.. to me has absolutely nothing to offer.. no good riffs, no good solos, no epic or surprising parts, just very horizontal songs, all very boring to me, in contrast I can mention Xandria which on their last album I think they have many sound contrasts, good riffs, lyrics and solos.. not too original, as it seems an album from old Nightwish but it do have many good elements to listen at their songs
    Avantasia-Ayreon-Nightwish-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-ReVamp-Syrens Call-Iron Maidens-Epica-Satyricon-Mägo de Oz-Powerwolf-Sonata Arctica-Tarot-Lacuna Coorius-Sabaton-Visions of Atlantis-Amaranthe-Lande-Sabaton
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Hmmm - Alex - kinda surprised you don't care for Leaves' Eyes. Don't know how many of you have seen this video for My Destiny from the album Njord (2009)....

Leaves' Eyes: My Destiny http://youtu.be/b15yaPYNDRU

...complete with hokey, romanticized Viking stuff (love that kinda thing personally). :P :viking: I just realized I do not have all of their full albums - shame on me! I have Lovelorn (2004), Vinland Saga (2005) & Njord (2009), but have never listened to Meredead from 2011. It looks like they've got a new one coming out this year call Symphonies of the Night.

Need to put in another plug for Liv's former band Theatre of Tragedy - especially the album Aegis (1998 - Lorelei: http://youtu.be/nq9jbh2LX1I ) but I like them all very much including the electronica albums and in particular the electro-poppish album Musique (2000 - Image: http://youtu.be/Arxo7-WtItI ).

And one last plug (for now) for Liv - absolutely love her in this guest appearance on Cradle of Filth's song & video Nymphetamine. I am not big into Cradle of Filth (have seen them but haven't taken the time to listen to much of their music - I generally find Dani Filth annoying - haha) - but I think this song & video is brilliant.

Cradle of Filth: Nymphetamine (featuring Liv Kristine) http://youtu.be/CfQWk_gPGNw
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 am

meshuggah wrote:So, I've been listening to Leaves' Eyes for the past couple of days, since I've never heard them. How is this band in any way considered "metal". To my ears they are pop rock. I'm not saying it's bad music...actually it's catchy and the lead vocalist has good range and expression (even though she sings through her nose which drives me crazy), but how is this METAL???

I actually haven't heard the band, but I just wanted to comment on the general topic of "not metal" in that, part of what bothers me about some of those "goth" metal bands or whatever they're called as well as the -- at least the newer breeds of -- Swedish "melodic death" metal bands or Gothenburg metal bands or whatever THOSE are called is they seem to sort of loosely use metal as a base and then just throw poppy, somewhat generic riffs on top of it. It's like they take the "catchy-ness" theme too far and end up watering it down. It's kinda like how those hair bands in the 80's used metal to disguise the pop music they were really playing (e.g. Poison, Warrant, Dokken, etc.), but not nearly as bad or extreme. I haven't heard a lot from them by far, so I could VERY well be wrong on this, but one example of this that comes to mind is Soilwork. Yeah, I consider it metal, but only from a very general sense, if you know what I mean. This sounds somewhat like what you're saying about Leaves' Eyes, only even more so.
  • Sepp-das-Wiesel
    Oiler

by Sepp-das-Wiesel » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:56 pm

the Band behind Leaves Eyes is calles Atrocity.
    Atrocity was 1990 on tour with Carcass and recorded the first Album at the well known Morrisound Studios in Tampa, Florida.
    AND - Liv is married with Alexander Krull - singer of Atrocity!

At the end, you can say, when Liv isn´t on Stage, the Band is Atrocity - with Liv, it is Leaves Eyes
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Sepp-das-Wiesel wrote:the Band behind Leaves Eyes is calles Atrocity.
    Atrocity was 1990 on tour with Carcass and recorded the first Album at the well known Morrisound Studios in Tampa, Florida.
    AND - Liv is married with Alexander Krull - singer of Atrocity!

At the end, you can say, when Liv isn´t on Stage, the Band is Atrocity - with Liv, it is Leaves Eyes

Yep, when I went to Dynamo 1998, Theatre of Tragedy played (They were fucking way awesome) and then Atrocity after them, and Liv Kristine came out for 2 songs from Atrocity's most excellent "Werk 80" cover tunes LP. "Shout" (Tears for Fears) and "Send me an Angel" (Real Life). The later song drove me to tears, Liv's operatic notes in Send me an Angel sent my skin in goosebumps and my eyes welled up......

There is some footage of that show on YouTube.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:19 pm

http://youtu.be/4Oer4BP4zXA

The sound was MUCH better in person inside the tent. :)
    Bloodycanadian
    Petty Officer

by Bloodycanadian » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm going to lay this down right now. When Vinland Saga came out I listened to it on repeat for weeks. I still consider it one of the more amazing cd's I own.
    Now let's go get banjaxxed.
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:53 am

Bloodycanadian wrote:I'm going to lay this down right now. When Vinland Saga came out I listened to it on repeat for weeks. I still consider it one of the more amazing cd's I own.

I feel the same way about Boulez' recording of Schoenberg's "Moses und Aron", but that's not "metal" either.
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Just heard 45 seconds of Gotthard.

They might be cool live, but definately not my thing.

Leaves Eyes are way more metal than them.
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:04 pm

rwalters wrote:Liv Kristine (singer) will always be associated with the metal scene because she used to be in a much better metal band called Theatre of Tragedy.

Yeah Theatre of Tragedy were great back in the day! and I am totally with you on your preference!
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
Post Reply 25 posts Page 1 of 1