Post Reply 410 posts
Stuff You Wish You Knew Before Your 1st Cruise
    Samhain
    Petty Officer

Re: Stuff You Wish You Knew Before Your 1st Cruise

by Samhain » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:59 am

alex_canada wrote:I wouldn't risk it. They confiscate bullet belts, so that gives you an idea.

You just answered one of my oldest and unanswered questions. Dammit.
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:12 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    I'm going to break into your cabin and poop in your toilet :mrgreen:

This reminds me of something that happened the first or second cruise...someone was exiting our cabin's bathroom and ducked as a big brownie from the windjammer was thrown at their head. It stuck to the door and then slid down slowly, leaving a trail. We were in a rush to catch a show so we left, and I didn't realize how bad, on the inside of a bathroom door, a wet brown trail of mush would look. Felt bad for whoever saw it and didn't realize it was just chocolate.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    RootOfAllEvil
    Crewman

by RootOfAllEvil » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:14 pm

Maso wrote:They definitely won't allow Leatherman. Ours was taken away but ofcourse we got it back when returned to the port. Because of my electric wheelchair we had just in case a toolset but knife was too much for them. Screwdriver (not the drink) was OK. There's a desk at port of Miami where you can check in stuff that's not allowed.

Thanks, Maso!

Would you recommend risking it and have the security guys take it away if they find it or just going to the counter to check it in beforehand?
    I mean, what's less time-consuming?
    Last edited by RootOfAllEvil on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Sherlock
    Oiler

by Sherlock » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:17 pm

Very useful thread. Thank you ....
    Survivor of : 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    Dimma
    Petty Officer

by Dimma » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:45 am

To pack Savlon. Nothing in The US comes close.
    2013 Wishlist : Doro
    2014 Wishlist : Bands
    2015 Wishlist : Money
    2016 Wishlist : Majesty
    Maso
    Petty Officer

by Maso » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:40 am

RootOfAllEvil wrote:
    Maso wrote:They definitely won't allow Leatherman. Ours was taken away but ofcourse we got it back when returned to the port. Because of my electric wheelchair we had just in case a toolset but knife was too much for them. Screwdriver (not the drink) was OK. There's a desk at port of Miami where you can check in stuff that's not allowed.

Thanks, Maso!

Would you recommend risking it and have the security guys take it away if they find it or just going to the counter to check it in beforehand?
    I mean, what's less time-consuming?

Hazy memories but some flashbacks... :gulp:

The desk you can check-in confiscated stuff is in same area where security check is done. The desk where you can get 'em back was elsewhere (in same building thou).
    2012 - offshore
    2013 - Survivor
    2014 - Survivor
    2015 - booked and paid

Wishlist:
    Girlie & tech death
    RootOfAllEvil
    Crewman

by RootOfAllEvil » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:07 am

Maso wrote:The desk you can check-in confiscated stuff is in same area where security check is done. The desk where you can get 'em back was elsewhere (in same building thou).

Thanks very much for the info!
    dinki
    Petty Officer

by dinki » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:32 am

someone know a cheap way from the airport to South Beach (Hostel) ?
    Emperor-Mayhem-Midnight-Night Demon-Savage Master
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:34 am

dinki wrote:someone know a cheap way from the airport to South Beach (Hostel) ?

Bus 150 leaves from the bus terminal (take the MIA mover to the rental car center/bus terminal) and takes you straight to South Beach. Costs $2.65 per person.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:04 am

Memnoch wrote:

Bus 150 leaves from the bus terminal (take the MIA mover to the rental car center/bus terminal) and takes you straight to South Beach. Costs $2.65 per person.

The other option (which I did last year) is to take one of the mini-vans. Cost around $10 if I remember correctly - much cheaper than a taxi, and gets you there much quicker than the bus.

The mover/bus option will take at least an hour. Minibus about 30 minutes.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:00 am

Do you know the name of the cheaper mini bus? I assume you mean shared shuttle? I'm staying south beach and go shuttle quoted me $62 :bitch:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:08 am

biertroll wrote:Do you know the name of the cheaper mini bus? I assume you mean shared shuttle? I'm staying south beach and go shuttle quoted me $62 :bitch:

Yeah - shared shuttle is what I mean :)

I cannot remember the name - I just wandered outside the airport and spoke to the guys outside.

This lists shuttles as being roughly $20 from the airport to south beach:

http://www.miami-airport.com/hotel_shuttles.asp

And these guys - $25:

http://www.go-airportshuttle.com/airport-shuttle
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:14 am

cowboy71 wrote:
    biertroll wrote:Do you know the name of the cheaper mini bus? I assume you mean shared shuttle? I'm staying south beach and go shuttle quoted me $62 :bitch:

I cannot remember the name - I just wandered outside the airport and spoke to the guys outside.

And these guys - $25:

Yeah those guys. I guess it is if you prepay. I will just have to wing it once I get there then. Thank you! :cheers:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    mgrock
    Petty Officer

by mgrock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:05 pm

biertroll wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:

And these guys - $25:

Yeah those guys. I guess it is if you prepay. I will just have to wing it once I get there then. Thank you! :cheers:

If you take a taxi the flat rate to SoBe is 32 $. We are party of two and taking a taxi was always the best choice. :beerhorns:
    2012 survivor in 4010
    2013 survivor in 4010
    2014 survivor in 4010
    2015 survivor in 9242
    2016 survivor in 9242
    2017 survivor in 9242
    2018 booked in 7252
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:49 pm

For all the people about to embark on their first UMC cruise, I would think the answer would be THE BANDS.
    dinki
    Petty Officer

by dinki » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:59 am

just to make sure. As an german/european i got the ESTA from my travel agency and printed check-in of UMC? thats all i need to bring with on board/usa ?
    RootOfAllEvil
    Crewman

by RootOfAllEvil » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:18 am

dinki wrote:just to make sure. As an german/european i got the ESTA from my travel agency and printed check-in of UMC? thats all i need to bring with on board/usa ?

If your ESTA was approved, you don't really need a printout of that. Maybe it helps, but usually they don't need it because it's all in their system.
    But don't forget your fingers, 'cause immigration won't let you into the country if they can't take your fingerprints. :D

For the cruise, you should probably print a couple of those luggage tags (also to be found on your online check-in page, at the bottom).
    Plus: passport & credit card, but that should be a no-brainer.
  • LauraW
    Crewman

by LauraW » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:15 am

This is my first time on the cruise. I am wondering how the gym is there. Do they still offer any of the classes are offered on regular cruises? Yes I know there are a lot of other things I'm going to want to do on the cruise but I will not feel good enjoy them if I'm not getting in at least some exercise
    Mal2000
    Chief Petty Officer

by Mal2000 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:18 am

Don't know the gym on THIS cruise.
    My best exercises were running stairs 10 times a day from pool deck to Theater and back :mrgreen:
    70K 2012, Barge to Hell, 70K 2014, 70K 2016, 70K 2018, 70K 2019
  • Neo
    Oiler

by Neo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:25 am

you can use the gym on your own.
    its not the best gym - of course, why should it on a ship? - but its really enough for the morning-beer-head :)
    Cabine 2013: 9564
    Cabine 2014: 9536
  • LauraW
    Crewman

by LauraW » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:28 am

Neo wrote:you can use the gym on your own.
    its not the best gym - of course, why should it on a ship? - but its really enough for the morning-beer-head :)

That's why I plan on really needing it. Was hoping for some yoga to help make up for the lack of sleep.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 am

LauraW wrote:
    Neo wrote:you can use the gym on your own.

That's why I plan on really needing it. Was hoping for some yoga to help make up for the lack of sleep.

Haven't visited the gym! Maybe I should go and have a look this time :)

Apparently it looks something like this:

Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
  • sask
    Wiper

by sask » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:23 pm

The express bus from MIA to South Beach is one of the best-kept secrets there. It runs every half hour, costs less than $3, takes about 30-35 minutes to get from the airport to Lincoln Road. To get the bus is very quirky (typical Miami), you have to go to the top level of the arrivals area, take the free MIA Mover train to the car rental centre, where the bus terminal is. More details are here: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/bus-airport-flyer.asp

I highly recommend it, especially if you're solo, it'll save you a bundle and isn't much slower than a taxi.
  • LauraW
    Crewman

by LauraW » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:33 pm

I have another newbie question. We are having a family health emergency going on right now and I would really like to be able to stay in touch. Will my cell phone work on the boat even if it cost me a fortune? If that won't work will I be able to use wifi even if its expensive?
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:45 pm

LauraW wrote:I have another newbie question. We are having a family health emergency going on right now and I would really like to be able to stay in touch. Will my cell phone work on the boat even if it cost me a fortune? If that won't work will I be able to use wifi even if its expensive?

Plenty of options available on broad - don't think your own mobile will work at all.

http://70000tons.com/faq.php#question23

Note - SUPER expensive!!! Pricing details here:

http://cruiseadvice.org/CruiseShips/WiF ... f+the+seas
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    carlynjason
    Petty Officer

by carlynjason » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:14 pm

super noob question :( is band merch set up in a specific area or do they sell at the gigs, like normal ??

also i would say as a general travel tip........... bring spare stuff you need, can bet if lose sunglasses they sell em onboard at about 10000000% mark-up

Peace out dudes, see ya in a week :)
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 pm

carlynjason wrote:super noob question :( is band merch set up in a specific area or do they sell at the gigs, like normal ??

also i would say as a general travel tip........... bring spare stuff you need, can bet if lose sunglasses they sell em onboard at about 10000000% mark-up

Peace out dudes, see ya in a week :)

Specific area (normally same location as the meet and greets) - on deck 3 in the Moonlight Dining Room. This area has all the band specific merch and 70k merch.

Then they have an area on one of the upper decks that just sells 70k merch.

Some bands will have merch specificly designed for 70k, others will at least have the 70k tour dates on the back, others will have no merch at all.

And the merch will all be heaps cheaper than at gigs here in Australia. :)
    Last edited by cowboy71 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    carlynjason
    Petty Officer

by carlynjason » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:05 pm

TY cb71, i owe ya a drink, can chat about the awesome epica gig in brisbane :)

got 400 photos from melb show if want any :)
    D.T. Metal
    Crewman

by D.T. Metal » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:09 pm

LauraW wrote:I have another newbie question. We are having a family health emergency going on right now and I would really like to be able to stay in touch. Will my cell phone work on the boat even if it cost me a fortune? If that won't work will I be able to use wifi even if its expensive?

And in case you have AT&T they offer a cruiseship plan

http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?cruise
  • LauraW
    Crewman

by LauraW » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:15 pm

D.T. Metal wrote:

I have U.S. Cellular. Looks like I can call and receive them for $2.99/min. No texting unfortunately. My phone will also work when docked in Mexico for $0.65/min w/ free texting. I'm thinking I'll be able to avoid that ridiculously expensive internet
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:18 pm

LauraW wrote:
    D.T. Metal wrote:

I have U.S. Cellular. Looks like I can call and receive them for $2.99/min. No texting unfortunately. My phone will also work when docked in Mexico for $0.65/min w/ free texting. I'm thinking I'll be able to avoid that ridiculously expensive internet

My phone will work perfectly when we dock in Mexico. :mrgreen:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Tips I learned from being a 6 time cruiser (counting all cruises i've been on, 2 "normal" and 4 UMC)

1) Bring a power strip. not enough outlets in room!
    2) put your phone on airplane mode or else you could get charged for expensive roaming. i turned my phone OFF, for some reason it powered itself on while i had it stored away and i got stuck with a crappy phone bill
    3) Don't have a lot of cash. there's no need to have it and losing money SUCKS - i know all about it
    4) bring fun props. silly clothes, unique stuff, flags, stuffed animals, wigs, buttons, etc - makes things extra fun esp. for karaoke
    5) don't eat lunch before you get on the ship, i did the first year and didn't know that there's lunch in the windjammer all set up for free!
    6) get to the port before noon. they let you right on the ship and the line isn't that long, and again there's lunch
    7) rumrunners are never detected! sneak in booze if you want! i bought rumrunners (plastic bags for storing liquid) and so i just buy booze from a liquor store in miami, fill the bags up, put in bottom of suitcase, and bam, booze on broad! save $$ off seapass
    8) if you use hair conditioner, bring it. there's none on broad.
    9) bring throat lozenges. there's lots of yelling and singing and cheering and throats get dry and hoarse! esp. with all the smokers!
    10) a sweatshirt is a must for pool deck at night PLUS the a/c is pretty cold in the Spectrum lounge
    11) fancy dining room food isn't that amazing
    12) if you're worried about working out, mosh, use stairs, you'll be active all day WITHOUT going into the lonely gym
    13) if you're sharing a room with 2-3 others, bring a small flashlight so you can use the bathroom and get in and out of the cabin without turning on the overhead lights when people are sleeping.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:55 pm

mgrock wrote:If you take a taxi the flat rate to SoBe is 32 $. We are party of two and taking a taxi was always the best choice. :beerhorns:

I am 1 person, I will have to do bus or shuttle I do not want to spend that much on transportation until I need to get to Flannigans :cheers: :lol:

Deck ? 2020
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:34 pm

Is it really strict like TSA for liquids? (Can I take a normal size conditioner/lotion?)

All my stuff last time was packed for going on an airplane but I think I may like to supersize those items this time..

Deck ? 2020
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:59 pm

You can take normal sized things we did last time anyway...there is crap on the interweb out there. I am too lazy to find it for you...

Thing I wish I new before first cruise: It's a blast, don't sweat the small stuff, just drink and be merry. :bmhorns:
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Chris wrote:You can take normal sized things we did last time anyway...there is crap on the interweb out there. I am too lazy to find it for you...

Thing I wish I new before first cruise: It's a blast, don't sweat the small stuff, just drink and be merry. :bmhorns:

This is my second & I couldn't find it, I tried looking :beerwink:

Deck ? 2020
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:51 am

Yeah, I guess all I can find is not so official: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070719184620AAwwokj
    Only restrictions on smuggling spirits/wine/beer.
    I guess there is less concern with cruise ships exploding, more concern with losing drink sales.
    dinki
    Petty Officer

by dinki » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:22 am

someone can recommend a day trip to bahamas in the week after the cruise? freeport i guess? will it be much fun?
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:33 am

Just finished doing the online check in with Royal Carribean and noticed one of the packages that you could book beforehand was "The Barbie Premium Experience" which includes: Barbie Stateroom Package, Tiaras and Teacup Party, Mermaid Dance Class, Fashion Designer Workshop, and a Fashion Show.

I don't know about any of you but I'd love to see a dozen drunk germans in metal attire trying out a Mermaid Dance Class. Wouldn't mind a tiara and teacup party myself LOL.
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:35 am

Talked with the wife about doing something like that with our daughters sometime. I don't think I could stomach that much of it, seems nauseating at best. Leaning toward a Disney cruise for them though...
Post Reply 410 posts