Post Reply 4260 posts
THE OFFICIAL 70000TONS OF METAL 2011 MEGA THREAD
  • Rayzor
    Petty Officer

Re: 21 OUT OF 40 AND COUNTING...

by Rayzor » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:55 am

Very disappointed about Startovarious, but not nearly as much as my wife is. The double whammy is that this means Helloween are out of the running too. I also re-read Andy's post and wanted to point out that it doesn't sound like Ensiferum are specifically the Startovarious replacement. Hopefully, this will mean the replacement would be along the lines of GammaRay, Edguy, BlindGuardian (hell yeah, Demons and Wizards potential) etc.
  • satanicfog
    Wiper

by satanicfog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:18 am

Get more BLACK METAL BANDS.!!!oneone11!! and no fucking dimmu shit either. get some watain/marduk/anaal nathrakh/nargaroth/urgehal/lord belial or Immortal there, they will love it and everyone will be so metal that people will die for dethklok.
    Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:22 am

well to be honest... id rather see dimmu... those guys wont try to sacrifice witch bear for the sake of tradition:O
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:04 pm

uhmmm mike, I made a booboo :D
    we DIDN't see ensiferum at paganfest, that was Eluveitie :lol:

ensiferum is coming @ heidenfest
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:05 pm

dammit tim.... u drink too little... u dont even know how to be a boo boo u just f*cked up hard...

damn dude...

AARRGGH

i knew i hadn't seen them in like 4 years...
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:09 pm

yeah, it's s ahame i can't drink during working hours :roll:
    luckily i helping myself right now will delicous cold Hertog Jan! Proost :beerwink:
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    Michaelage
    Chief Petty Officer

by Michaelage » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:11 pm

cheers:D
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Rayzor wrote:Very disappointed about Startovarious, but not nearly as much as my wife is. The double whammy is that this means Helloween are out of the running too. I also re-read Andy's post and wanted to point out that it doesn't sound like Ensiferum are specifically the Startovarious replacement. Hopefully, this will mean the replacement would be along the lines of GammaRay, Edguy, BlindGuardian (hell yeah, Demons and Wizards potential) etc.

Okay, if EDGUY
    and (fantasy of fantasies here) Destroyer666
    both somehow got booked

I'd be happy to die the moment the cruise ends.
    Metal Heart
    Crewman

by Metal Heart » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:06 pm

I would love to see edguy or my favs gamma ray but I want something more radom in the power metal slot, how about freedom call or insaina, dare to dream for rhapsody of fire as well, nocturnal rites and ive yet to see storm warrior
    chilakill56
    Oiler

by chilakill56 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:45 pm

hmm Rhapsody would be a nice choice, would fit nicely with the drinkin mayhem heh :cheers:
    "We’re not God. Not only are our powers limited, but we sometimes are driven to become the devil himself"
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Metal Heart wrote:I would love to see edguy or my favs gamma ray but I want something more radom in the power metal slot, how about freedom call or insaina, dare to dream for rhapsody of fire as well, nocturnal rites and ive yet to see storm warrior

I will not argue with bands I haven't seen yet...
    Looking forward to Agent Steel for that reason.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:42 pm

vainglory wrote:
    Metal Heart wrote:I would love to see edguy or my favs gamma ray but I want something more radom in the power metal slot, how about freedom call or insaina, dare to dream for rhapsody of fire as well, nocturnal rites and ive yet to see storm warrior

I will not argue with bands I haven't seen yet...
    Looking forward to Agent Steel for that reason.

Nocturnal Rites would kill, would be a worthy replacement for Strato IMO
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Rayzor wrote:Very disappointed about Startovarious, but not nearly as much as my wife is. The double whammy is that this means Helloween are out of the running too. I also re-read Andy's post and wanted to point out that it doesn't sound like Ensiferum are specifically the Startovarious replacement. Hopefully, this will mean the replacement would be along the lines of GammaRay, Edguy, BlindGuardian (hell yeah, Demons and Wizards potential) etc.

I don't imagine it will be - maybe their booking fee says otherwise, but I haven't seen Stratovarius as relevant or exciting for over a decade. Any of the bands you listed pull off 10x the live excitement that Strato does. I'm not saying that completely blindly either, I've seen them a few times on different tours in the last 5 or 6 years.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:18 pm

f1canada2000 wrote: oh well maybe Heavenly wil show up!

I'm down with that!

I'm pretty bummed about Stratovarius cancelling. I've seen them already but I really enjoy them a lot. Jens Johansson is just too good. However, Ensiferum is so fucking fun, that I can't be disappointed for too long. Easily my favorite band through high school. This will be my 4th time seeing them.
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    karlsberg
    Oiler

by karlsberg » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:46 pm

How about Tyr, Immortal, Eluveitie, Arch Enemy, Warbringer, Alestorm, Anthrax, Amorphis, Paul Dianno, Clutch, Equilibrium, Gwar, Hammerfall, Motorhead, Sacrifice, Steel Panther, 1349, Tenacious D, Burzum, and Helfahrt, to round it off.

Just some late night musings. I'll probably change my mind tomorrow...except about Tyr. They rule! :metalguy:
    sharr077
    Wiper

by sharr077 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:08 am

Excited about Ensiferum. Had swine flu last time they came around.

but now I wanna see some more extreme stuff in the mix like Morbid Angel, the Crown, Autopsy, Mayhem, Hypocrisy, Tenet, Asphyx, Entombed, or Witchery.

a few more "feel good" bands like Tankard, Korpiklaani, Alestorm, or even Birdflesh would be cool.

Motorhead for sure as a headliner.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:16 am

alex_canada wrote:

I don't imagine it will be - maybe their booking fee says otherwise, but I haven't seen Stratovarius as relevant or exciting for over a decade. Any of the bands you listed pull off 10x the live excitement that Strato does. I'm not saying that completely blindly either, I've seen them a few times on different tours in the last 5 or 6 years.

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with you on this one.

They came through here 6 years ago and they played to a packed house.

This past year they came through again and played at the same venue. I opened for them and there were more people there when we were playing than when strato was playing. They just seemed tired... washed up almost.
    I mean, don't get me wrong, it was a totally wicked experience and they were decent guys to talk to.. but ensiferum delivers energy and good spirit every time. I never get sick of their live shows! In fact, they've one-upped all of their previous performances each time I've seen them.

Though, on a side note.. Timo's replacement fucking SHREDS!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:03 am

I saw Stratovarious play at Metalway last year and it was their best show i've seen.
    They were full of energy and there was a great atmopshere.
    Wonder what Stratovarious you saw play :P
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:08 am

Kotipelto was sick... that could have had a lot to do with it!!

Either way, the rest of the band was way more into it the time before.
    Maybe it had to do with the crowd being half the size.. but that's got to be a reflection of decreased relevance lately.

I've only seen then the two times though.. it could have just been an off day.

Please check out my band

Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:30 am

Have only seen Strato once (Polaris), was packed and a pretty good showing, Kotipelto's range seems to be suffering a bit with age though. aAlso saw Sonata recently and they were far more enjoyable (energetic) live, although I am positive that Tony Kakko is completely insane. In the same vein, Symphony X (last tour) just wiped the floor with both of them, just f'ing amazing.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:31 am

Motorhead
    Arch Enemy
    Armored Saint
    Blind Guardian
    Judas Priest
    Godsmack
    Edguy
    Gamma Ray
    Primal Fear
    Axel Rudi Pell
    Iron Maiden
    Slayer
    Black Label Society
    Lillian Axe
    Wolf
    Running Wild
    Within Temptation
    Deep Purple
    Uriah Heep

just bands I'd like to see if anyone really cares ......... some before I die or they do (sucks getting old) so many bands to see so little time and money lol :cheers: :givebeer: :lol:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:35 am

Hoping that Armored Saint are not booked. Their new album is the worst album of 2010. They should go out on tour with Papa Roach, Shinedown or Disturbed
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:39 am

Disaster Area wrote:Have only seen Strato once (Polaris), was packed and a pretty good showing, Kotipelto's range seems to be suffering a bit with age though. aAlso saw Sonata recently and they were far more enjoyable (energetic) live, although I am positive that Tony Kakko is completely insane. In the same vein, Symphony X (last tour) just wiped the floor with both of them, just f'ing amazing.

Dude.. I'm so jealous.

I've never gotten to see symphony X!

They were supposed to come through here on Gigantour 1 in '05 and dropped off the tour before the calgary date :evil:

Please check out my band

• cg138
    Petty Officer

by cg138 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 am

Is Elvenking any good anymore? I quite liked their somewhat earlier work, haven't listened to too much recently. Anyway, Hypocrisy I'd love to see, Enslaved, please. Hell, some black metal needs to get on board. I would really like to see In Flames and Children of Bodom, only if they were to do a "Somewhere Back in Time" type thing where they only stuck to their first 3 albums. Man how they've fallen.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 am

cg138 wrote:Is Elvenking any good anymore? I quite liked their somewhat earlier work, haven't listened to too much recently. Anyway, Hypocrisy I'd love to see, Enslaved, please. Hell, some black metal needs to get on board. I would really like to see In Flames and Children of Bodom, only if they were to do a "Somewhere Back in Time" type thing where they only stuck to their first 3 albums. Man how they've fallen.

I intended to see them play at Dong Open Air but was really tired and took a nap instead.
    My friend said that they were good live in terms of performance but that they ddin't play anything off the first few albums.Only the new stuff that sounds a bit Triviumish
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:37 pm

viathyn wrote:Yeah I'm going to have to agree with you on this one.

They came through here 6 years ago and they played to a packed house.

This past year they came through again and played at the same venue. I opened for them and there were more people there when we were playing than when strato was playing. They just seemed tired... washed up almost.
    I mean, don't get me wrong, it was a totally wicked experience and they were decent guys to talk to.. but ensiferum delivers energy and good spirit every time. I never get sick of their live shows! In fact, they've one-upped all of their previous performances each time I've seen them.

Though, on a side note.. Timo's replacement fucking SHREDS!

On Stratovarius:
    I didn't see them the first time they came through our way, but I did see them the second time. After comparing the performance I saw for Polaris and some other videos from later Wacken performances I can say that they were much more on the ball than they were a few years back with Timo Tolkki. Kotipelto mentioned that he had gotten the flu and had seen a doctor in Calgary about it and was apparently not even supposed to be talking much, but he actually sounded great and performed better and better as the show went on. The rest of the band seemed in really high spirits and it was just a lot of fun, barring a strange choice of opening tune. I dunno, Polaris is one of my favorite disks that came out in 2009 and it just sounds so fresh and inspired.

I think Stratovarius has had quite a few issues in regards to releasing some sub-par albums with Tolkki, all the drama that ensued afterwards and so on and I think that if they released a new album next year and came back on tour, they'd probably fare much better. It really slows down a band when you've got lineup issues and a bunch of stupid bullshit to sort out.
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
  • satanicfog
    Wiper

by satanicfog » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:10 pm

if in flames and children of wanktard get confirmed the true metal-head count will go down and you will get only rich wannabe kids that will cry because someone half moshed into their new shoes. so none of that shit. no commercial wank like failtallica or half shitera Down eeeeeewwwww! get some good band. and yes motorhead and hypocrisy can totally headline. but immortal headlines more. gief plox
    R8R55
    Crewman

by R8R55 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:48 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:Hoping that Armored Saint are not booked. Their new album is the worst album of 2010. They should go out on tour with Papa Roach, Shinedown or Disturbed

Yea it kinda made me thow up in my mouth a little. They have never been the same since Dave Prichard died.
    BANG THE HEAD THAT DOES NOT BANG!
    R8R55
    Crewman

by R8R55 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:51 pm

They almost had to replace Fear Factory. They almost didn't get out of there tour bus that was on fire.
    BANG THE HEAD THAT DOES NOT BANG!
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:28 pm

R8R55 wrote:They almost had to replace Fear Factory. They almost didn't get out of there tour bus that was on fire.

Probably because Dino gotstuck in the door and the rest of the band was trapped inside the bus :lol:
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Ok, the band announcement refractory period (for Deb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractory_period :shock: ) is over. Time for another announcement! :D

:givebeer: because my cardiologist says I ain't dying woohoo!

onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:45 pm

King Diamond or Mercyful Fate would be a great addition to the cruise.

...........I hate waiting
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:47 pm

onenight wrote:King Diamond or Mercyful Fate would be a great addition to the cruise.

in that case, feel free to join in the virtual rioting. It soothes my impatience well!

careful though, the Skipper may scold you (right Deb) :lol: :lol: :lol:

debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:05 pm

jUST REMEMEBR ITS ALL IN GOOD FUN......NO NEGATIVITY.....thanx Craig :trashdrink:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Disaster Area wrote:careful though, the Skipper may scold you (right Deb) :lol: :lol: :lol:

debborah1 wrote:jUST REMEMEBR ITS ALL IN GOOD FUN......NO NEGATIVITY.....thanx Craig :trashdrink:

Debb got scolded and I wasn't involved??? Curse my need for sleep!!!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:25 am

onenight wrote:King Diamond or Mercyful Fate would be a great addition to the cruise.

Would really love to se them both.Unfortunaly King Diamond seems to be too busy making his own brand of shoes :lol:
    Jöhn&Melönius
    Crewman

by Jöhn&Melönius » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:04 am

!!!!!!! Where can I acquire such satanic footwear? I can only imagine what a pair of KD's would look like, but I must have them. :death:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:13 am

If you go to his site it'll give you a link of where to buy them.
    They are basically just those vans with Mercyful fate or King Diamond Artwork.
    sabaton
    Petty Officer

by sabaton » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:59 am

I just listened to the last work of Limbonic Art, they should come on board !!!
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:23 am

Should bring Ripper and Malmsteen.
    Then when Iced Earth play Ten Thousand Strong Ripper can sing it as special guest :shred:
Post Reply 4260 posts