Post Reply 10 posts Page 1 of 1
Our Ship is in the News and it is not Good.
  • Some1Wicked
    Oiler

Our Ship is in the News and it is not Good.

by Some1Wicked » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:28 am

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/17/travel/cruise-line-passengers-sickened/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- It's not a fun way to end a dream vacation.

Dozens of passengers on a four-night cruise aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship became sick with a stomach illness, according to a company statement.

The Majesty of the Seas docked in Miami Friday after a Caribbean journey that included port calls at Nassau and CocoCay, Bahamas, and Key West, Florida.

Sixty-six of the more than 2,500 passengers aboard experienced gastrointestinal issues, such as vomiting and diarrhea, Royal Caribbean International said.

Two of the more than 800 crew members also fell ill, the company said.

The cruise line suspects the cause to be norovirus, according to the company's statement.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta describes norovirus as a very contagious bug that can be spread by infected persons, in contaminated food or water, or through contact with contaminated surfaces. The CDC says norovirus affects nearly 20 million people in the U.S. each year, and results in between 570 to 800 deaths.

The cruise line said passengers affected by the illness had responded well to over-the-counter medication administered on board the ship.

The company said it enhanced cleaning on board the ship during the cruise to help prevent the spread of the illness.

After the ship docked, the company said it "conducted an extensive and thorough sanitizing on board the ship and within the cruise terminal, to help prevent any illness from affecting the next sailing."

Passengers who boarded The Majesty of the Seas Friday received a letter asking if they had experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms within the last three days. Those who felt uncomfortable were allowed to reschedule their trip, the cruise line said.

This is the latest setback to hit the cruise industry.

Last May, a fire broke out on the Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas cruise ship, forcing passengers to fly home.

In February, an engine-room fire left the Carnival Triumph adrift in the Gulf of Mexico.

This is just f'n great...
    slash1962
    Crewman

Re: Our Ship is in the News and it is not Good.

by slash1962 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:03 am

I am confident they' manage it...
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    2012: Deck 6 - survived
    2013: skipped because of F:M:C
    2014: Deck 3
    Wishlist 2014: Arch Enemy, Hell, RAM, Graveyard, Hardcore Superstar, Opeth, Anvil, Pentagram, Steelwing,
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:25 am

The good news, it was only a small fraction of the passengers. And there is time to clean and disinfect.
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
  • Neo
    Oiler

by Neo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:44 am

then lets us more drink than eat :mrgreen: :belly:
    Cabine 2013: 9564
    Cabine 2014: 9536
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:26 am

Every time one of these viruses happen on a cruise ship, they scrub it from stem to stern.
    The Majesty will probably be cleaner than any of the other UMC sailings.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:31 am

Not worried at all. Looking at the number of affected passengers, they seemed to contain the breakout quite well.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    samlanda
    Oiler

by samlanda » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:28 pm

This happens on cruises more often than we'd like to think…mostly because it's so contained and easy for viruses to spread. Not worried about this at all--there's probably been some kind of outbreak on most ships at least once. Fingers crossed we don't become a statistic though.
    70k 14/15/16/17/19

facebook.com/deadasylum
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Like I said on facebook, this is probably good for us as they're gonna do a more thorough cleaning this time.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    gietz
    Oiler

by gietz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:59 pm

These sorts of things are required to be reported by ship staff no matter the severity. So even a few cases of any gastro symptoms and they have to make it known.
    But then as others have said, they ship will be very thoroughly cleaned and disinfected with harsher solvents than normal.

We will all safe :mrgreen:
    Besides alcohol is a magnificent disinfectant for us all anyways! :cheers:
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:30 pm

I'm with Joey, this is great for us. I'm not worried, and I'm damn sure RC will go the extra mile for cleanliness because of this issue. Nothing wrong with that! :D .
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • Post Reply 10 posts Page 1 of 1