Post Reply 16 posts Page 1 of 1
Opeth and their potential for two unique headline sets
  • Spence
    Oiler

Opeth and their potential for two unique headline sets

by Spence » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:06 pm

One entirely death/black metal Opeth, with no mellow tracks, just straight Opeth metal.

The other being an entirely clean vocals set mainly focused on their mellow prog stuff.

Two 100% different sets. I think Opeth could easily pull off two 75 or 90 minute sets. I mean, this is the same band that was doing four hour sets on their 2010 anniversary tour where they did BWP in entirety.

Thoughts?
  • hiphopsucks
    Wiper

Re: Opeth and their potential for two unique headline sets

by hiphopsucks » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:21 pm

That would make things easy since I would skip the 2nd set.
  • Spence
    Oiler

by Spence » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:31 pm

hiphopsucks wrote:That would make things easy since I would skip the 2nd set.

I wasn't necessarily referring to like, Heritage only material. Anything from Damnation, as well as songs like A Fair Judgement, Porcelain Heart, Burden, Atonement, Credence, Harvest, maybe To Bid You Farewell, etc.

I really don't get the Opeth fandom. You have all these people who claim they love everything Opeth has done, but they do one tour focusing on just their clean vocal stuff, and everyone on the internet has a temper tantrum. :?
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Spence wrote:
    hiphopsucks wrote:That would make things easy since I would skip the 2nd set.

I wasn't necessarily referring to like, Heritage only material. Anything from Damnation, as well as songs like A Fair Judgement, Porcelain Heart, Burden, Atonement, Credence, Harvest, maybe To Bid You Farewell, etc.

I really don't get the Opeth fandom. You have all these people who claim they love everything Opeth has done, but they do one tour focusing on just their clean vocal stuff, and everyone on the internet has a temper tantrum. :?

Damnation is one of my favorite Opeth albums and it would be great to see them perform a song or two off of it but as a whole set it just wouldn't work for me live. Good for a change of pace but not as a whole show to me. Plus, you'll get the songs with about 40 minutes of Akerfeldt blabbing.

I'm kind of done with them live after their last US tour but maybe that would change for one set on the ship.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:56 pm

mooyagi wrote:Damnation is one of my favorite Opeth albums and it would be great to see them perform a song or two off of it but as a whole set it just wouldn't work for me live. Good for a change of pace but not as a whole show to me. Plus, you'll get the songs with about 40 minutes of Akerfeldt blabbing.

I'm kind of done with them live after their last US tour but maybe that would change for one set on the ship.

They did the co-headlining tour with Porcupine Tree in 2003 where they played Damnation in it's entirety & one other mellow song (Deep Purple cover "Soldier of Fortune"). The show was alright, but for me, it dragged as it was too mellow.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:54 pm

Spence wrote:One entirely death/black metal Opeth, with no mellow tracks, just straight Opeth metal.

The other being an entirely clean vocals set mainly focused on their mellow prog stuff.

Two 100% different sets. I think Opeth could easily pull off two 75 or 90 minute sets. I mean, this is the same band that was doing four hour sets on their 2010 anniversary tour where they did BWP in entirety.

Thoughts?

I don't think Mikael would agree to do a set like the first one now days.

The second set you describe would be like the 2011 North American tour. It didn't just focus on clean vocals, it was all clean vocals. I saw three shows on that tour. I don't need to see that set again.

The 2010 Anniversary shows were around 3 hours long. At least the LA show was that long. :cool:
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
  • Spence
    Oiler

by Spence » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:20 pm

I've seen Opeth seven times now, including the 2010 anniversary tour in NYC(I think the show was four hours, but there was a 30 minute intermission at one point. Idk)

And easily my favorite experience seeing them was the 2011 tour. It felt like I was seeing King Crimson or something, it was excellent.

While I agree that JUST Damnation material, or JUST Heritage material would make a set lame - adding in some other songs(like the heavy-but-clean vocal songs A Fair Judgment and Porcelain Heart) as well as loads of amazing classics like Burden, To Bid You Farewell, etc. would make for a beautiful set.

Besides, some mellower shows at festivals are great. Whenever Alcest or Scale the Summit or Anathema or Ulver or anyone is announced for metal fests, people are always excited. *shrug*

As for Mikael not agreeing to do an entirely metal set, I think that's obviously not true. He has stated in the past that he'd love to do Orchid in entirety for a festival or one-off show in 2015 for the anniversary, and that his main priority is providing a different experience every tour. Oh well.

I personally would love to see Opeth as a headliner, especially if this was the kind of deal. I'm not the kind of person who wants nonstop guitar solos for 45 minutes anyway. :P
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 pm

I think it would be really interesting and I would definitely attend both sets but I think a lot of people wouldn't bother with the clean set.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:56 pm

I still say his pretentiousness would sink the boat. So on that note I pass on wasting a headliner spot on Opeth.

Fuck you and your acoustic demon of the fall
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:36 am

I'd love to see a mellow set, like the first half of the Lamentations DVD when they played Damnation in its entirety, which is my favourite half. I'd love to just chill and listen to some mellow Opeth. I'd enjoy it more than their heavier stuff.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:03 pm

I'd be up for one heavy/ one light set from Opeth
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:41 am

I thought Opeth were out for the cruises. Somehow I remember they were approached for 2011 and 2012 but they declined both times, stating something in the lines of "Mikael doesn't want to be stuck on a boat with a bunch of fans".
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
  • Spence
    Oiler

by Spence » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:01 pm

NuuX wrote:I thought Opeth were out for the cruises. Somehow I remember they were approached for 2011 and 2012 but they declined both times, stating something in the lines of "Mikael doesn't want to be stuck on a boat with a bunch of fans".

That was Michael Kiske(ex-Helloween, Unisonic, Avantasia, etc.) NOT Mikael of Opeth / Storm Corrosion.

Edit to add: I have no idea if they were or weren't ever approached for any of the cruise fests though.

I know for a fact that MDF has tried to get Opeth in past years but never could because Opeth are ridiculously expensive. But they'd be worth it, IMO. (Andy definitely has stated in the past that these 70 Tons cruises aren't providing paychecks big enough to ALONE make major bands want to play, and so they also have to genuinely want to play it. So who knows if Opeth wants to or not.)
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 am

Well Opeth have done a couple of cruises before, so at least they're not averse to the idea.

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:21 am

Only seen them live once and I all most fell asleep.
    For me, I have zero interest in seeing them again.
    Just my opinion

If they are booked I will do my best to record at least one song.
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:48 pm

Azazel101 wrote:I have zero interest in seeing them again.

I will do my best to record at least one song.

:?

2019 Wishlist:
Post Reply 16 posts Page 1 of 1