Post Reply 48 posts
How are the mosh pits?
    TheSalamanizer
    Crewman

Re: How are the mosh pits?

by TheSalamanizer » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:28 pm

The folk/pagan metal type of mosh pits on broad are the most fun... no real slamming against people mostly jumping around, doing jigs and whatever. The thrash pits on broad are way lighter than anything you'd see in the US. Hardly anyone on the boat will purposely slam into the edges of the pit, and I don't think I've seen anyone doing those BS karate moves on the boat. I personally like to hang around the edges, and jump in during a favorite song or 2. Or when Eric throws me in.

The pool stage does get slippery. The indoor stages can get slippery too, but it's often the people who insist on bringing a bucket of beer, putting it on the floor right in the middle, and it naturally ends up getting kicked over. Don't be the person who does that.
    2015 - cabin 9375
    feanorfelagund
    Crewman

by feanorfelagund » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:46 am

TheSalamanizer wrote:The pool stage does get slippery. The indoor stages can get slippery too, but it's often the people who insist on bringing a bucket of beer, putting it on the floor right in the middle, and it naturally ends up getting kicked over. Don't be the person who does that.

Sounds like the pool stage needs a bit of salt spread on the deck each day. Easy fix.
    "Mirror mirror on the wall
    True hope lies beyond the coast
    You're a damned kind, can't you see
    That tomorrow bears insanity?"
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:46 am

meshuggah wrote:I stay away from the moshers. Do they actually hear what the bands are playing...or does only the brutality register? If I'm concerned with getting slammed into, or wondering when the next karate idiot is going to plant a foot in my ribs, there's no way I can really appreciate the music the bands are playing. I love the energy, I love to move around to the music...but I also want to listen and understand how the bands put their songs together. A lot of the musical craftsmanship in metal is amazing...metal is truly the present day cutting-edge musical avant garde the way Stravinsky was in the 1900's.

Yes, we do hear the music being played. :lol: Also, I've never seen any Karate on the boat which is what I think helps makes this fest so damn great. I love the musical craftsmanship in metal too and understand how the bands put their songs together...that's why I buy the CDs. :P Then I'll mosh to them when they're playing a song I really love in a live setting.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:45 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    meshuggah wrote:I stay away from the moshers. Do they actually hear what the bands are playing...or does only the brutality register? If I'm concerned with getting slammed into, or wondering when the next karate idiot is going to plant a foot in my ribs, there's no way I can really appreciate the music the bands are playing. I love the energy, I love to move around to the music...but I also want to listen and understand how the bands put their songs together. A lot of the musical craftsmanship in metal is amazing...metal is truly the present day cutting-edge musical avant garde the way Stravinsky was in the 1900's.

Yes, we do hear the music being played. :lol: Also, I've never seen any Karate on the boat which is what I think helps makes this fest so damn great. I love the musical craftsmanship in metal too and understand how the bands put their songs together...that's why I buy the CDs. :P Then I'll mosh to them when they're playing a song I really love in a live setting.

I get it about buying CDs (too many to count), but my problem is that there is so much good music being created that I want to go into a fetal position because of there not being enough time in the day to hear it all even if I listened 24/7/365 :cry: I haven't seen the Karate crap on the boat either, and am thankful for that.
  • mushoomhead666
    Oiler

by mushoomhead666 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:25 am

I am going to start hardcore dancing in the middle of every single pit................................... :shred:

very much kidding, but I will be in the pit as much as possible
    2015 CABIN 6563
    2016 CABIN 7629
    Leprechaun
    Oiler

by Leprechaun » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:25 am

Why should the people who actually want to SEE the band performing stay in the back to give room to the moshers? It should be the other way around, as the moshers do not watch the band most of the time.

If you are my size, just about 5ft 3, you need to stay in the frontrow to be able to see the band actually performing most of the time. It seems i always attract the windmilling, karatetype moshers, where ever i stand. Be it more to the side or be it in the middle.

Having had a broken nose, broken ribs, bruises and steeltoe boots on the back of my head, while trying to escape, i would appreciate if the moshers would respect the non-moshers as much as they want to be respected.
    70k 2014
    70k 2015
    70k 2016
    70k 2017
    Wacken since 1998
    Bang your Head since 1998
    Member of the Wacken Metal Battle Judges
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:39 am

Leprechaun wrote:Why should the people who actually want to SEE the band performing stay in the back to give room to the moshers? It should be the other way around, as the moshers do not watch the band most of the time.

I've always thought exactly like this, but don't try to convince the moshers, you will fail. I like to jump into mosh pits from time to time, but I think in general it's a disrespectful tradition, as they tend to happen in the best viewing area. I'm absolutely not against mosh pits, I just think they happen in the wrong place.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:54 am

bodomdragon wrote:
    Leprechaun wrote:Why should the people who actually want to SEE the band performing stay in the back to give room to the moshers? It should be the other way around, as the moshers do not watch the band most of the time.

I've always thought exactly like this, but don't try to convince the moshers, you will fail. I like to jump into mosh pits from time to time, but I think in general it's a disrespectful tradition, as they tend to happen in the best viewing area. I'm absolutely not against mosh pits, I just think they happen in the wrong place.

*shrug* My friends and I crowd the stage every chance we get at shows. We will occasionally get accosted by moshers (who give up unless we actually want to mosh) but find that the people that want to mosh move back from the stage a little. Is it different on the boat? Because that's literally EVERY show we've tried this tactic.
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-