Post Reply 27 posts Page 1 of 1
Phone Reception in the Cruise
  • brunoredsox
    Crewman

Phone Reception in the Cruise

by brunoredsox » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:40 am

Hi guys, not sure if this has been posted or asked before, so I'll go ahead and do that for us cruise noobs.

How's the phone reception on the boat? I'm getting a T-mobile (or similar) pre-paid plan with internet for my phone (I'm from Brazil) and I was wondering if the phone/internet packages will work on the cruise.

Can you guys shed me some light?

Thanks!
    pablov8
    Midshipman

Re: Phone Reception in the Cruise

by pablov8 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:51 am

Last year I was able to send some SMS while we were on the sea, so you have reception. I'm not sure how frequently though.
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    mikijonas
    Crewman

by mikijonas » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:02 am

Reception is good, bit BLOODY EXPENSIVE... Remember that you wil be outside the US!
    Make love, not war... and while you are at it, listen to metal!

2012 - Survivor (Don´t remember)
    2015 - 9561
    2016 - 6500
    2017 - 9561
  • brunoredsox
    Crewman

by brunoredsox » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:03 am

Oh shit, that's right! I heard that the Cruise Wi-Fi is expensive as f*#k too.
    Dimma
    Petty Officer

by Dimma » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:07 am

Seriously. Just do without it for 3 and a bit days.
    2013 Wishlist : Doro
    2014 Wishlist : Bands
    2015 Wishlist : Money
    2016 Wishlist : Majesty
  • erik13
    Oiler

by erik13 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:08 am

These are the T Mobile rates:
    Rates for Royal Caribbean: Liberty.
    Data $15/MB
    Text SENDING $0.50/txt RECEIVING Deducted from your domestic texting plan’s allotment.*
    Talk $5.99/min.

I called and the T Mobile rep told me to take the sim card out it's so expensive!
  • brunoredsox
    Crewman

by brunoredsox » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:11 am

Guess I'll have to remove the SIM card ahhahahahahahaa no problem

Thanks guys!
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:16 am

The best part of the cruise is nobody is on a cell phone ,however there has been free wi-fi service somewhere at our ports of call.So you should be able to get one time to check though e-mails etc.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
  • erik13
    Oiler

by erik13 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:58 am

Would airplane mode be the same as removing the sim card? That way you can still take pictures?
    manamachine
    Crewman

by manamachine » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:08 am

Dudes, definitely turn that reception off. It is not worth the bill you could end up with. Because you're traveling in international waters, you could be looking at thooouuuuusands of dollars in bills. If you need wifi, use what's available on the ship.

I'm buying a package through my provider for the US, but as soon as I'm on board, it's going on Airplane Mode. And yes, this should stop any charges. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Wishlist:
    All the power/symphonic/thrash.
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:20 am

manamachine wrote:as soon as I'm on board, it's going on Airplane Mode. And yes, this should stop any charges. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're absolutely right ;)
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • brunoredsox
    Crewman

by brunoredsox » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:22 am

Airplane mode it is, then. So I can take some photos with you guys! :3drunks:
  • SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:25 am

I for one welcome not having any ability to use my cell or wifi. I've already warned people not to bother even trying to contact me. Thank god. Too many of my coworkers stay on Skype and/or do work while on vacation. Not me.
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    Lordmarioh
    Oiler

by Lordmarioh » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:01 pm

I'm only using my phone for pictures during the cruise! :bangers:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Yea just leave it on airplane mode. Phones are fine for pictures but don't be that douchebag in the middle of the floor during a show holding up an iPad.
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:02 pm

I have left my phone on the last two years so people can reach me in am emergency. No charge unless you use the phone. Make sure that data roaming is off.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Shelton
    Crewman

by Shelton » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Speedy wrote:I have left my phone on the last two years so people can reach me in am emergency. No charge unless you use the phone. Make sure that data roaming is off.

I've given people the number for the ship in case of emergencies. But I'm a newbie, so I don't know if that's how it works. Hopefully I won't need to test it (not like I'll be able to do anything while in the middle of the Caribbean anyway...)
    Wishlist - Sabaton, Turisas, Tyr, Within Temptation
    2015 - Cabin #7234
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:25 pm

Speedy wrote:I have left my phone on the last two years so people can reach me in am emergency. No charge unless you use the phone. Make sure that data roaming is off.

Yeah, that last part is REALLY important. You can get reamed pretty badly if you're not careful.

The best rule of thumb is, "When the land drops below the horizon, put your phone in airplane mode."
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:35 pm

Looking at the web page for the Jamaican cell phone company,data is $581.03 USD per MB ,if you don't have any international roaming on your phone.So yeah make sure data is off except wi-fi when you get there.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:45 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:Looking at the web page for the Jamaican cell phone company,data is $581.03 USD per MB ,if you don't have any international roaming on your phone.So yeah make sure data is off except wi-fi when you get there.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Aaaaaaand I'm not even gonna bring my phone. Holy crap.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Tono_Fyr
    Crewman

by Tono_Fyr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:14 pm

We'll be on a fucking cruise ship with a bunch of awesome bands! There are better things to do than sit on the internet/call people! Save that shit for later!

I look forward to being completely unreachable.
    Wishlist:
    --Æther_Realm--Alarum--Amon_Amarth--Arcturus--Arjen_Luccassen--Atheist--Battlecross--Blind_Guardian--Borknagar--Candlemass--Cynic--Devin_Townsend--DOLL$BOXX--Dread_Crew_of_Oddwood--Dysrhythmia--Ensiferum--Freak_Kitchen--Gamma_Ray--Glittertind--Goatwhore--Gojira--Gordian_Knot--Green_Carnation--Holy_Grail--Ihsahn--Katatonia--Leprous--Machinae_Supremacy--Ne_Obliviscaris--Nightingale--Nile--Opeth--Pain_Of_Salvation--Raintime--Riverside--Sigh--Skeletonwitch--Steel_Panther--Symphony_X--Tengger_Cavalry--Thank_You_Scientist--Three--Turisas--Tyr--Unleash_The_Archers--Winds--Wintersun--Words_of_Farewell--Zimmer's_Hole--

2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:42 pm

Tono_Fyr wrote:We'll be on a fucking cruise ship with a bunch of awesome bands! There are better things to do than sit on the internet/call people! Save that shit for later!

Exactly! And I know some people from work will probably try to reach me so this thing's going on airplane mode until I get back home
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    gundiesalvo
    Petty Officer

by gundiesalvo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Tono_Fyr wrote:We'll be on a fucking cruise ship with a bunch of awesome bands! There are better things to do than sit on the internet/call people! Save that shit for later!

Yep, just let people back home know you'll be off-grid for a few days, shouldn't be a biggie. All stories I hear from cruisers who used their phones seem to lead to astronomical ammounts of money being paid at the end.
    70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
    70000 Tons 2016 ?
    Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
    EpidemicReign
    Petty Officer

by EpidemicReign » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:36 pm

I've got a digital camera to take photos, phone is staying OFF and in the cabin.
    2018 Booked
    2017 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 am

Absolutely agree!!!!

Except that my girlfriend doesn't.

If I don't text her from time to time she'll cut my balls off when I get back.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • SavaShip
    Wiper

by SavaShip » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:38 am

AT&T Has a add-on package specifically for cruises.

$30 gets you 50 talk minutes
    $60 gets you 50 talk minutes and 100 text messages
    $120 gets you the above plus 100MB of data.

Normal rates on the cruise AT&T published as: $0.50 per text. $1.30 per picture text. $2.50 per minute talk, and $19.97 per MegaByte of data.

Source: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/intern ... 0exTTadZzB
    Wishlist: Alestorm:Blind Guardian:Circle II Circle:Edguy:Ensiferum:Equilibrium:Falconer:Galloglass:Helloween:Jon Oliva's Pain:Manowar:Nightwish:Orden Ogan:Persuader:Powerglove:Savatage:Savage Circus:Serenity:Sonata Arctica:Turisas:TYR:Wintersun
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:57 pm

bodomdragon wrote:

Absolutely agree!!!!

Except that my girlfriend doesn't.

If I don't text her from time to time she'll cut my balls off when I get back.

Sounds like someone needs a new girlfriend. :P :beerwink:
    I should get around to updating my signature
Post Reply 27 posts Page 1 of 1