Post Reply 77 posts
Too many bands!
  • picolic
    Wiper

Too many bands!

by picolic » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:00 pm

First of all and once again, thank you guys for making this possible. This is absolutelly fantastic! Pls book me already for next year!
    However, and I say this as positive critic, 60 bands it is just to much! We end up exhausted of trying to squeeze in to all possible show and there is no time to eat or to talk to other people. You just run from one stage to the other...
    Ther wordt is that, with 60 bands, there are a lot of overlaping bands between stages and you end up by having some shows with almost no one attending to it. It is just sad ti get to one stage and see that there will be like 10 persons watching the show.
    AS na exemple, pls notice what happened on the first annihilator show. When it started the platinum was crowded. By the end, as arch enemy were already playing, it was less then half full.
    I think, and I met a lot of people that agree with this, that the cruise would be a lot better if we go back to 40 bands only. It is best for the cruisers and for the bands.
    Also, I leave a suggestion for next year destination... Why not being the first metal crowd in Cuba!?
    Up the irons metalheads! :viking: :death:
    EpidemicReign
    Petty Officer

Re: Too many bands!

by EpidemicReign » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:41 pm

2018 Booked
    2017 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Wouldn't be "too many bands" I don't think, if they had the balance right.

Due to the lack of Power metal bands and symphonic bands I had a really easy time seeing all the shows I really wanted to see.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:16 pm

I know what you mean. I was one of the 20 people watching Claim the Throne during Blind Guardian. I wish we could have an extra day but Andy told me that it would cost around an extra 25% of the cost.
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:51 pm

either go back to 40 bands and a smaller boat (Majesty served us fine) or go to a 7 day cruise and add a 2nd port and space things out a bit more.
    just my suggestion
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    Shelton
    Crewman

by Shelton » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:49 pm

Jotunheimr wrote:I know what you mean. I was one of the 20 people watching Claim the Throne during Blind Guardian. I wish we could have an extra day but Andy told me that it would cost around an extra 25% of the cost.

But we were still an awesome crowd for that set. Our circle pit was great. It was easy to crowd surf since you could give the front row warning before you passed the guy over their heads, and the keyboardist came off stage and we crowd surfed her. It's not the size of the crowd, it's the enthusiasm
    Wishlist - Sabaton, Turisas, Tyr, Within Temptation
    2015 - Cabin #7234
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:18 pm

Shelton wrote:
    Jotunheimr wrote:I know what you mean. I was one of the 20 people watching Claim the Throne during Blind Guardian. I wish we could have an extra day but Andy told me that it would cost around an extra 25% of the cost.

But we were still an awesome crowd for that set. Our circle pit was great. It was easy to crowd surf since you could give the front row warning before you passed the guy over their heads, and the keyboardist came off stage and we crowd surfed her. It's not the size of the crowd, it's the enthusiasm

I died laughing when we were kicking around the innertube and it got stuck in the rafters :lol:
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    Shelton
    Crewman

by Shelton » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:07 am

Jotunheimr wrote:
    Shelton wrote:

I died laughing when we were kicking around the innertube and it got stuck in the rafters :lol:

wish I saw you, would have said hi. I think it was just you and Phoenix that I said I would say hi to but missed out.
    2015 - Cabin #7234
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:54 am

Hey Shelton, you are the guy who talked to my friend about his Voyager t-shirt, aren't you??
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Shelton
    Crewman

by Shelton » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:03 am

bodomdragon wrote:Hey Shelton, you are the guy who talked to my friend about his Voyager t-shirt, aren't you??

There is a high likelihood that was me, during the line to get on? I was also the fool who was running around for the first 2 days saying he was not going to sleep all cruise
    2015 - Cabin #7234
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:17 am

Fuck I wish I saw you guys, but I went straight to Equilibrium after the muster drill and was either at shows, sleeping, in then hot tubs with the Canadians or laying down feeling sick the entire cruise. So yeah, there were a few too many bands, since the only food you could eat in a hurry was pizza.

I am never having that many carbs again.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Mr.Kito
    Midshipman

by Mr.Kito » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:46 am

Too many bands.

Too many people.

But the great issue, to me, was: the small bands were announced too late!

Andy should give a few big bands to make people run for the early booking, and then go to the "cripper award" bands. Would give people enough time to check them out.

If you give to the cruisers the small bands without time, they won't be able to check and the'll not want to see those bands. If you give the bands with almost sold out festival, few people will book because of them

Results: you get empty shows at the sphinx and overcrowded shows at the platinum and studio B. (specially if you have 60 bands, 3000 people and only 3 stages, because the 4th - and biggest - isn't ready.)

Also.. balancing the line up would help a lot. (and NOT changing the running order all the time, i know there was technical issues, but still... i was already sad about choosing between Annihilator and Arch Enemy, and Andy puts Amorphis at the same time.. 3 two setters happening all the same.. what a bummer)
    2024 Wishlist: Accept-Ad.Infinitum-After.Forever-Alestorm-Amon.Amarth-Amorphis-Angra-Angus.McSix-Ankor-Annihilator-Arch.Enemy-Brainstorm-Bruce.Dickinson-Body.Count-Cradle.Of.Filth-Crypta-Chaoseum-Cynic-Danko.Jones-Dark.Lunacy-Dark.Tranquillity-Deathless.Legacy-Deathstars-Destruction-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-Dimmu.Borgir-Edguy-Edu.Falaschi-Equilibrium-Epica-Evergrey-Feuerschwanz-Final.Disaster-Frog.Leap-Grand.Magus-Gotthard-How.We.End-Infected.Rain-In.Flames-Insomnium-James.LaBrie-Jinjer-KKs.Priest-Kontrust-Korpiklaani-Kreator-Lacuna.Coil-Lords.Of.The.Lost-Megara-Mors.Principium.Est-Myrath-Nailbomb-Nanowar.Of.Steel-Nervosa-Nightwish-Onslaught-Overkill-Perzonal.War-Primal.Fear-Poisonblack-Psychostick-Queensryche-Rammstein-Raven.Black-Rotting.Christ-Reclaim.The.Silence-Sabaton-Saltatio.Mortis-Scar.Symmetry-Sepultura-Seven.Kingdoms-Solution.45-Slashy.Sue-Soilwork-Splintered.Halo-Spoil.Engine-Swashbuckle-Tarot-Testament-The.Dark.Side.Of.The.Moon-The.Halo.Effect-Torture.Squad-TrollFest-Tuatha.De.Danann-Turisas-Wind.Rose-Within.Temptation
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2018-Survivor
    2011, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2023- :(
    2021, 2022- F### CORONAVIRUS
    2024 - BOOKED!! :shred:
    Shelton
    Crewman

by Shelton » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:48 am

Phoenix wrote:Fuck I wish I saw you guys, but I went straight to Equilibrium after the muster drill and was either at shows, sleeping, in then hot tubs with the Canadians or laying down feeling sick the entire cruise. So yeah, there were a few too many bands, since the only food you could eat in a hurry was pizza.

Likewise ran away to see Equilibrium and as such missed the meetup. But was worth the show. I think I spent the 2nd night in one of the hot tubs with the Canadians. We are now forever water friends
    2015 - Cabin #7234
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:50 am

Shelton wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:Fuck I wish I saw you guys, but I went straight to Equilibrium after the muster drill and was either at shows, sleeping, in then hot tubs with the Canadians or laying down feeling sick the entire cruise. So yeah, there were a few too many bands, since the only food you could eat in a hurry was pizza.

Likewise ran away to see Equilibrium and as such missed the meetup. But was worth the show. I think I spent the 2nd night in one of the hot tubs with the Canadians. We are now forever water friends

Which hot tub? The second night was the one where I jumped in the hot tub on the pool stage. The Canadians/Calgarians had it claimed that night, it was a very nice hot tub to be in.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Shelton
    Crewman

by Shelton » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:58 am

Phoenix wrote:
    Shelton wrote:

Which hot tub? The second night was the one where I jumped in the hot tub on the pool stage. The Canadians/Calgarians had it claimed that night, it was a very nice hot tub to be in.

I did the pool stage tub quickly during Ensiferum while I was meant to be grabbing drinks for my friends. Otherwise I think it was the Port side tub. By that stage I had been awake for like 36 hours so everything was kind of a blur.

Actually now that I think about it, the reason I didn't get to catch up with you all is because I was either trying to figure out who to see next or running between stages. Lots of bands, but I wouldn't say too many, maybe just poor scheduling?
    2015 - Cabin #7234
    Dimma
    Petty Officer

by Dimma » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:01 am

60 is way too much. 40 was hard enough. If you even have 6 must see 2 setters you're still screwed.
    2013 Wishlist : Doro
    2014 Wishlist : Bands
    2015 Wishlist : Money
    2016 Wishlist : Majesty
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:26 am

I think there could have been a couple more bands... had that hockey game not been scheduled the band schedules would have been a little looser, and ', frankly, I had a lot of down time a couple days. Yeah, Thursday I was from band to band right after the muster drill and had my only major conflict of the cruise... but Friday because of the 2 earlier bands I wanted to see on the Pool Deck being canceled, I spent most of the day wandering around, played minigolf, and only had a few sets to watch. Saturday after getting back on the boat it was easy to catch all the bands I wanted to see, even with the extras added that were carried over from Friday. And Sunday it was easy to go from band to band pretty much all day with only a couple of minor conflicts. And I'm not even one of the people who was complaining they didn't like enough bands, I liked plenty and was happy with the lineup... so I'm kinda surprised people want less bands...
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 am

60 bands is ok. Yeah, sure, I missed sets. I couldn't catch even one set from Arch Enemy or Primal Fear, and they were both must-sees for me. So what?? That means I was doing something even better! More bands = more fun. You won't see everything you want anyway.
    Wishlist:
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

EpidemicReign
    Petty Officer

by EpidemicReign » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:09 pm

bodomdragon wrote:60 bands is ok. Yeah, sure, I missed sets. I couldn't catch even one set from Arch Enemy or Primal Fear, and they were both must-sees for me. So what?? That means I was doing something even better! More bands = more fun. You won't see everything you want anyway.

Agree. I'd say there were about 10 bands on the cruise that I would call "two-setters", and I only saw one of them twice. The spontaneous nature of the social environment had me doing other things that I never anticipated doing and I don't regret any of it.
    2018 Booked
    2017 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
  • thrsher
    Oiler

by thrsher » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:43 pm

being that a saw several 2 sets from the bands i wanted, i didn't really need to since they all pretty much played the exact set again. 60 on the boat can work well if the logistics were handled better. i had a killer time.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:57 pm

would much prefer 30-50 bands MAX. 42 -ish was already more than enough!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Shelton
    Crewman

by Shelton » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:49 pm

EpidemicReign wrote:Agree. I'd say there were about 10 bands on the cruise that I would call "two-setters", and I only saw one of them twice. The spontaneous nature of the social environment had me doing other things that I never anticipated doing and I don't regret any of it.

I was really looking forward to 2 sets of Ensiferum, but got distracted by some awesome people in the pool and just ended up listening through the wall. And I'm not even mad!
    2015 - Cabin #7234
  • SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:05 pm

I didn't have any problems with the number of bands. If there's more bands than I have time to see, then I get to decide on my favorites and leave it at that, right? Some of the big, open air festivals have around 100 bands.

The only band I wanted to see and missed was Masacre. I would've made it if I hadn't foolishly decided to take a late-night nap. There were definitely a few I got to see twice, including ones where I hadn't been planning on it.
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:00 pm

I may have bitched a bit but I missed more than I wanted too and that kind of sucks, but I will get over it and it is better than all those whom did not get what they may have liked.
    If the rumors are correct, The first couple bands will be enough for me to book again.
    60 bands or 40, I will make it work :beerhorns: :bmhorns: :beerbang:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Personally I think 50 bands would have been sufficient. That way band set times wouldn't overlap. I missed a lot of full sets cause I had to leave one show early to catch the beginning of another.
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:48 pm

90 bands! More of a chance to get one from my list. :P
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    EpidemicReign
    Petty Officer

by EpidemicReign » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Razor Ramon wrote:90 bands! More of a chance to get one from my list. :P

That or 30 more chances for Andy to screw you :lol:
    2018 Booked
    2017 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:28 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Wouldn't be "too many bands" I don't think, if they had the balance right.

Due to the lack of Power metal bands and symphonic bands I had a really easy time seeing all the shows I really wanted to see.

i saw 32-37 Bands on the Cruises before, this time 27, but many of them 2 times. All other Bands were Bargies and not for my Ears.....
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived
    2023 - NO

www.lalasreisen.de
  • broegaard
    Chief Petty Officer

by broegaard » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:24 am

I had to choose between PM and Artillery on the second show but I could catch Future World and Fear of Tommorrow.

I like more bands. Bigger boat and 90 bands are ok with me but UMC cant sell 6.000 tickets.
    metal4ever
  • broegaard
    Chief Petty Officer

by broegaard » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:27 am

Mr.Kito wrote:Too many bands.

Too many people.

But the great issue, to me, was: the small bands were announced too late!

Andy should give a few big bands to make people run for the early booking, and then go to the "cripper award" bands. Would give people enough time to check them out.

If you give to the cruisers the small bands without time, they won't be able to check and the'll not want to see those bands. If you give the bands with almost sold out festival, few people will book because of them

Results: you get empty shows at the sphinx and overcrowded shows at the platinum and studio B. (specially if you have 60 bands, 3000 people and only 3 stages, because the 4th - and biggest - isn't ready.)

Also.. balancing the line up would help a lot. (and NOT changing the running order all the time, i know there was technical issues, but still... i was already sad about choosing between Annihilator and Arch Enemy, and Andy puts Amorphis at the same time.. 3 two setters happening all the same.. what a bummer)

Kito your problem is because you are a short guy and you like to be in front of the band . See you at Monster of Rock in april. I will be there on sunday to see UNISONIC!!!!! :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred:
    metal4ever
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:13 am

broegaard wrote:I had to choose between PM and Artillery on the second show but I could catch Future World and Fear of Tommorrow.

I like more bands. Bigger boat and 90 bands are ok with me but UMC cant sell 6.000 tickets.

I would never go for a bigger boat. I think Liberty is the biggest we can go for without losing a big deal of the magic this festival has. 6000 spectators and it would be much, much harder to meet people, we'd lose the "intimate atmosphere" that 70k provides.
    Wishlist:

• broegaard
    Chief Petty Officer

by broegaard » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:56 am

bodomdragon wrote:
    broegaard wrote:I had to choose between PM and Artillery on the second show but I could catch Future World and Fear of Tommorrow.

I would never go for a bigger boat. I think Liberty is the biggest we can go for without losing a big deal of the magic this festival has. 6000 spectators and it would be much, much harder to meet people, we'd lose the "intimate atmosphere" that 70k provides.

I understand
    metal4ever
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:10 pm

I understand Andy's want or need to go bigger, but there is such a thing as too big .... he proved it this year.
    We already lost the magic of the event in my opinion ... I'm not saying I didn't have a good time (by far it was awesome) just not as good as any of the Majesty and those who are new will never have that. Those who are new to the event I can see them being very excited it is a great vacation and I won't take that away. UMC have an awesome crew and worked their asses off trying to please us. Majesty had many problems also the first time and improved on it in many ways.
    If we are getting a new ship again (sister ship) I hope that crew (RC) appreciate us more and all UMC's hard work can easily be adapted to the new ship to improve on it. :givebeer: :beerhorns: :cheers:

Would really like to know the bands a lot sooner so I can decide if I like them enough to check 'em out or watch something I know I'll like. 60 bands in the time frame didn't allow this :cry:

On a happier note here's to 2016 \m/ forever together in METAL \m/ :givebeer: :viking:
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:51 am

I agree, too many bands. I planned to see at least 32 bands and was finally able to see the half of them. 60 bands on 4 stages it is just impossible, mostly when they are singing in the same time or almost in the same time when you have to walk between two stages. Imagine the thing: you are in the Studio B for a show, the next one begins at the Platinum just when the first one finishes, you have to go to the deck 4 or 5 to go to the other side of the ship and go down to the deck 3 to the Platinum and you walk slowly because you are disabled :roll: I walked so much that the last day I used to take my energy I don't know where :?

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:26 am

PERFECT SOLUTION!

Have one cruise just for veterans on the Majesty, and another open for anyone on the Liberty :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:39 am

I think the perfect solution would be to use the Sphinx (if there's no better venue) for the smallest bands, then have, say, weenie/girlie/folk bands play in the theater and death/thrash/black in the ice rink venue (or vice versa) and only the biggest names on the pool deck (and the second set in the theater or ice rink). That way there could be a balanced lineup with probably 40 somewhat well-known bands and 20 small, Cripper award -worthy bands.

That would minimize unfortunate clashes that we saw this year. Sure, there'd always be clashes, but for most fans this should work quite nicely.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:39 am

Or, you know, arrange a "70k girlie band edition" on the Majesty. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:57 am

Memnoch wrote:Or, you know, arrange a "70k girlie band edition" on the Majesty. :lol:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:07 am

cowboy71 wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:Or, you know, arrange a "70k girlie band edition" on the Majesty. :lol:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Ok, my bank account is FI12 1207...wait, you meant Andy, right? :lol:
    Wishlist:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:08 am

70,000 Tons of Girlie Bands would definitely be the first festival where I'd be attending meet and greets. :lol:
    Wishlist:
Post Reply 77 posts