Post Reply 3265 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2017 Megathread
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Interview Your Favorite Artists on 70000TONS.tv!

by General Zod » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:50 am

Memnoch wrote:And they really aren't on a "small label", because Spinefarm is a part of Universal Records.

Understood. However, being part of the Universal family and having Universal invested in your success are two very different things (as I suspect you know). A song like the one in question would require a serious push on Top 40 radio for it to be a game-changer and I imagine Universal have bigger fish to fry.

Memnoch wrote:Even if they did try and make music that sells, it's unfair to say that's the band's main motivation. Disco and metal are so far apart that, if anything, daring to mix those two together is stupid from a financial point of view.

What you’re calling “disco”, I would call “pop”. And while distilled versions of each are indeed far, far apart on a musical spectrum, it’s hardly a new idea to dress up pop melodies in a metal aesthetic. It’s actually a combination that’s often proved very financially viable (see the mid to late 1980s).

Memnoch wrote:There's a lot less money in metal, so why on earth would anyone in their right mind use metal to make money?

I think there are bands that view metal as a good place to become a big fish in a small pond, especially those that are commercially minded. It’s also easier to do than to break through the unflinching machinery of the Top 40 universe. That usually requires the types of connections that most musicians simply don’t enjoy.

Memnoch wrote:It would be a lot easier to do what Slayer is doing: make the same album time and time again to get the metalheads' cash.

To say it’s “easier” is to ignore that “Step 1” to getting to make the same album over and over again is you first need to write a genre redefining record. That’s a little tougher. If Amaranthe can churn out a record that rivals “Reign in Blood” I’ll forgive them their transgressions. And while I’ll confess to having never been a Slayer fan, I do give them a pass for writing the same record over and over, as I don’t think they’re capable of much else.

Memnoch wrote:It's almost that, in my opinion, staying true to your roots or style is the money-hungry approach - if you've got that first taste of success with it.

Although I think that’s an interesting thought, I still disagree. Let’s take for example the band most often criticized for writing the same record over and over again; Amon Amarth. For starters, Amon Amarth defined their own sound in a sub-genre where there isn’t a lot of flexibility. Second, they persevered with that style long before it started making them any money. Third, who’s to say they’re capable of sounding any different? Perhaps this is simply who they are? Fourth, although the quality varies from record to record, by and large they keep delivering quality records. And how can anyone consider writing a quality record, which is also the exact type of record the fanbase wants, money-hungry? I mean, does anyone want a record called “Amon Amarth sings the Blues”? Perhaps Amon Amarth presents “Dancehall Days”? :lol:

Although I will agree there are bands who release records on a pre-defined cycle to justify another tour and keep the machinery rolling, I don’t view that in the same negative light. I think Slayer (for example) would love to write another classic record, they’re just not capable. They’re being true to who they are. The problem is that who they are just isn’t very good any more.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:06 pm

Ha, so the thing I've missed with my low board activity is an argument about Amaranthe?

A metal head can like a band and also admit they are pretty much just cosplaying metal, and that's not being an elitist, it's just pointing out a reality. Also, though I like many non-metal bands, I still think they suck. I also don't really care if they're on the boat.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:08 pm

sara wrote:Ha, so the thing I've missed with my low board activity is an argument about Amaranthe?

A metal head can like a band and also admit they are pretty much just cosplaying metal, and that's not being an elitist, it's just pointing out a reality. Also, though I like many non-metal bands, I still think they suck. I also don't really care if they're on the boat.

I'd be happy if Andy just booked your whole wishlist for some of the remaining bands.
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:09 am

bodomdragon wrote:Btw, I don't know if anyone cares, but yesterday I watched Dynazty live (you don't know them? You should!!) and I talked to the guys for a while afterwards. According to what they said, unfortunately it seems extremely unlikely that they'll be onbroad.

I lately discovered them thanks of a friend of mine and really love their music. Sad that they shouldn't be onbroad :cry: Andy, you definitely should consider to book them in the futur and also Volbeat :cheers:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: 5 Months Until Sailing!

by cowboy71 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:55 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Longest gaps between band announcements in days
    2011 - 35
    2012 - 52
    2013 - 60
    2014 - 175
    2015 - 92
    2016 - 89
    2017 - 45 days and counting

So 2011 will maintain its record for having the shortest long-gap between announcements. One more week and we'll 'beat' 2012 too!

Okay we've equaled the 2012 longest gap of 52 days. Now shooting for 2013's figure of 60 days :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    PlagueofBabylon
    Oiler

by PlagueofBabylon » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Memnoch wrote:Seeing how Amaranthe are quite a big deal here, I thought I'd chime in. Having seen them live quite a few times, I can say they do attract a very mixed crowd. There's a lot of non-metalheads and of course lots of metalheads as well, and on club shows the atmosphere is nowhere near what one's accustomed to at metal shows. Yes, the band is unashamedly pop and disco, but also very much a metal band.
    And they really aren't on a "small label", because Spinefarm is a part of Universal Records. The band gets quite a lot of radio play here in Finland and I'd think it's the same in Sweden, and their upcoming album seems to be advertised a lot as well, so their record label is definitely investing in marketing them. Ok, fair enough, the Nordic market isn't much of indication to what their success is like elsewhere.

Even if they did try and make music that sells, it's unfair to say that's the band's main motivation. Disco and metal are so far apart that, if anything, daring to mix those two together is stupid from a financial point of view. There's a lot less money in metal, so why on earth would anyone in their right mind use metal to make money? It would be a lot easier to do what Slayer is doing: make the same album time and time again to get the metalheads' cash. It's almost that, in my opinion, staying true to your roots or style is the money-hungry approach - if you've got that first taste of success with it.

I've seen Amaranthe live three times and am friends with the band. I don't know how it is in Europe but in the states a lot of the mixed crowd comes from the bands they play with. The last time I saw them I Prevail and Santa Cruz opened. Santa Cruz is a fun throwback band, but I Prevail is absolutely awful and the crowd was split pretty much down the middle for Amaranthe fans and I Prevail fans. In fact, most of the barricade opened up once they finished playing. I've told them that they need better openers over here and threw out some suggestions but even being a friend of band doesn't mean they need to take my advice... it's not like I know shit lol.

"That Song", however, was atrocious. I hate it. I hate that that's what they presented as a first single when I've heard the teaser and know something like Fireball is being held back. For me, they fill a niche, just like Stuck Mojo does and I don't see the outcry over them (admittedly I haven't looked very hard).
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:29 am

I don't like That Song either, even if I do like Amaranthe and do like a lot of pop music as well. :beerwink:

But I think it's silly to claim the band (any band) is in it for the money, if they themselves haven't said they are or aren't acting like they are. I could understand it if a brutal death metal band all of a sudden recorded a melodic death metal album and called it "natural evolution of their sound" or some crap like that when the it's not a step but a giant leap in another direction. Obviously, they still might not be financially motivated in that leap, but it would be perfectly understandable to question their motives. With Amaranthe that's silly seeing how they've been playing that same style from the very beginning. Also questioning their passion for the music is stupid while at the same time applauding bands of other genres being true to themselves and playing the kind of music they want to. In the end we're all just guessing and judging bands based on our own tastes.
    Any band that wants to make their music a profession is in it for the money. So while a band like Slayer might have started with the guys playing the kind of music they love, they are now financially dependent on the band and will have to act accordingly. True, they might not have the skills or talent to evolve, but because the band brings them their income, they are understandably reluctant to change. Same goes for Amon Amarth; if that kind of music sells, why change? To me the reasoning that this is what their fanbase wants is the exact reason for them to put out similar records with minimal creative effort to maximise the money they make.

So, yeah, could we all just agree that That Song is horrible, and clearly a mistake from the band to include on their upcoming album, no matter what the motives were?
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:28 am

Memnoch wrote:But I think it's silly to claim the band (any band) is in it for the money, if they themselves haven't said they are or aren't acting like they are.

Obviously everyone is welcome to their own opinion. In my mind, when I see a band make (what appears to be) a conscious move to expand their audience by making their music more accessible, it feels like a financial play. When taken in the context of a Hot Topic band like Amaranthe it just seems all the more likely.

Memnoch wrote:In the end we're all just guessing and judging bands based on our own tastes.

I agree 100%. This is merely my guess and my judgement.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:36 am

General Zod wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:But I think it's silly to claim the band (any band) is in it for the money, if they themselves haven't said they are or aren't acting like they are.

Obviously everyone is welcome to their own opinion. In my mind, when I see a band make (what appears to be) a conscious move to expand their audience by making their music more accessible, it feels like a financial play. When taken in the context of a Hot Topic band like Amaranthe it just seems all the more likely.

Absolutely agree.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • CFH
    Crewman

by CFH » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:30 am

I'm kind of bugged by this whole 'no announcements during the fall' thing. I mean, especially in the northern countries, this is the time of year when there isn't really much to do with your free time. The weather sucks, vacatioins are over and there isn't much to look forward to. So to me, these mounths would be the best ones for some announcements and hype for the cruise before the preparations for the holidays get underway.

I know that logic and Andy don't really go hand in hand, and that people living in climate that's actually suitable for people to live in don't have this problem, but I would happily have some announcements in these mounths and a silent December with a couple of last minute adds in January. But yeah, I know that it wont be happening..
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:25 am

70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:47 am

How dead the forums are -

There was for a fair amount of time a stickied thread about a contest to interview the bands. That thread is now gone, but the post Andy made here is still present. I think Stained Class was the only one that entered, the show in question came and went, and to my knowledge he didn't hear anything.

Andy is actually just not present, at all :P

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:00 pm

We had our first spam sighting recently,kitchens are out -lush green lawns are in!This is pretty predictable,we are nearly at 40 bands which was the entire Majesty line up so it isn't so bad.I like some news on the magazine leaks but other than that no worries.I can say that for once a band was announced not so late that I had never known but now liking.Orden Ogan is that band ,also this cruise is well stocked with bands for me.Hope for a few bands before end of November but usually last 2 months has the remaining bands announced.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:21 pm

The current silence now breaks the 2013 figure of 60 days for longest gap between announcements that year.

Now chasing down the silence we experienced for this year's cruise of 89 days between start of October 2015 and end of December.

That puts this current drought ahead of the longest silences experienced for 2011, 2012 and 2013. We cannot break the 2014 figure of 175 days but are looking good to beat 2015 (92 days) and 2016 (89 days).
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:10 pm

92 days? Pfft, that's nothing to our skipper. If we play nice, he might even postpone the cruise to break the 2014 record. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:50 am

cowboy71 wrote:We cannot break the 2014 figure of 175 days but are looking good to beat 2015 (92 days) and 2016 (89 days).

Come on Skipper! You can do it! We are rooting for you! :lol:
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:23 pm

Holy crap, I missed an argument last week.
    My two cents too late: why the hell would anyone pursue a career in music for the money? Especially metal music? The odds of making a decent living (like, enough money to have a lifestyle that most of us would consider normal) as an original band are so low there's no point in even considering it.
    Musicians might like the travel, the rush of performance, even the fame if they're lucky enough to achieve that, but I'd be really surprised if money is anyone's primary motivation in our little genre. Pop music sounds like selling out to some people, but pop metal doesn't sell for much in the land of Spotify.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:56 pm

Cannot believe that it is nearly ONE MONTH since Psycroptic and Candlemass were leaked via adverts in the metal press, and still not officially announced!!!! :lol: :roll:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:30 pm

General Zod wrote:...when I see a band make (what appears to be) a conscious move to expand their audience by making their music more accessible, it feels like a financial play.

And bam!

We're right back to the part that prompted my initial contribution to the discussion...

When was it that some unknown authority signed off saying it's wrong for artists to make career or creative choices based on financial return?

All (or at least most) the other criticisms carry decent weight for me but this one. Oh, he or she's a 'sellout' or they sold out. If Slayer released a country album, the only people who have any real right to say they shouldn't have is the guys in the band. Hate the material, burn your merch, skip their sets on 70,000 Tons of Cow Dung but if you somehow confirm that they did it for money and it makes them more money than yet another BloodBibleBadBlarggh... I say mission accomplished

Okay, playing the devil's advocate a bit heavy here but I'm bored and the forums seem to be at least enjoying some banter haha

:wank:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:45 am

acidbasement wrote:My two cents too late: why the hell would anyone pursue a career in music for the money? Especially metal music? The odds of making a decent living (like, enough money to have a lifestyle that most of us would consider normal) as an original band are so low there's no point in even considering it.

And yet there are more bands releasing metal records than ever before. Granted, some of these bands do so with more realistic expectations than others. However, most don''t. I interview a lot of bands. I always finish those interviews with the same question; what goals do you have as it pertains to your music? Almost everyone says the same thing, "To make a living off the music."

ShoreSlayer wrote:When was it that some unknown authority signed off saying it's wrong for artists to make career or creative choices based on financial return?

1984. That's when I started listening to music. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, everything about music is subjective; what's good, what's bad, when an artist has compromised his/her integrity, etc. Everything is up to the individual listener. If you think Amaranthe releasing a Pink cover song for their first single doesn't strongly suggest a desire to push for a wider, more lucrative audience, you're welcome to that opinion. My rantings only reflect my opinion.***

***NOTE: My opinions are always correct and should be accepted by all. :D
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:30 am

I have huge respect for anyone who tries to make a living from music, even if I don't like the music. I couldn't do it. I love playing, and I'm pretty good, but I don't have that kind of work ethic, nor could I sacrifice things like stability and family to pursue my art.

So, I'm a sellout. Amaranthe aren't.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:28 am

acidbasement wrote:I have huge respect for anyone who tries to make a living from music, even if I don't like the music.

I can't say I feel the same. Most people who play music do so poorly. And to my mind, I can't justify respecting someone I feel is poor at their craft.
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:45 pm

I was at the Metal Female Voices Fest this weekend and Battlelore, Liv Kristine/Raymond Theatre Of Tragedy, Tristania, Feridea, and Blackthorn want on the ship badly. I got to meet Speedy too.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Razor Ramon wrote:I was at the Metal Female Voices Fest this weekend and Battlelore, Liv Kristine/Raymond Theatre Of Tragedy, Tristania, Feridea, and Blackthorn want on the ship badly. I got to meet Speedy too.

Man I'd love to see Battlelore on broad.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:45 am

I'm sure Scott Ian's recent comments about bands reuniting for money will go over well here...
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:50 am

I think mostly what Scott is referring to is much larger bands.Here is article http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/anthra ... ney-talks/ but the smaller bands really never get that kinda money to unite so if the do the love of playing is still a part.As to musicians,if any band wants to take their music is a different direction that is their decision.Had many bands I loved and when they made shifts ,mostly stuck with them.I don't mind any attempt to release more radio friendly music.Look at "Ghost" people are just mad at them for becoming more popular but their music just grew.Also the labels decide to put more promotional money or recording money behind a band.After struggling and playing for basically nothing just to get signed,few bands will be unhappy with more help.An expensive video or other promotional stuff is rare these days.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:22 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:I think mostly what Scott is referring to is much larger bands.Here is article http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/anthra ... ney-talks/ but the smaller bands really never get that kinda money to unite so if the do the love of playing is still a part.

That's how I read it as well.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:11 pm

General Zod wrote:If you think Amaranthe releasing a Pink cover song for their first single doesn't strongly suggest a desire to push for a wider, more lucrative audience, you're welcome to that opinion.

No, my point exactly is that I DO believe that's why they did it. I just fully support and respect their (or any artist's) right to do so, even if the end product makes my stomach turn when I hear it.

General Zod wrote:My rantings only reflect my opinion.***

***NOTE: My opinions are always correct and should be accepted by all. :D

Love this haha!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:48 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:No, my point exactly is that I DO believe that's why they did it. I just fully support and respect their (or any artist's) right to do so, even if the end product makes my stomach turn when I hear it.

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics, but when you say you "support" this decision, would you also say you "respect" it? Because I would also say I support a musician's right to pursue any path they wish. However, not all paths garner my respect (not that it really matters to anyone but me).

ShoreSlayer wrote:Love this haha!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gracias. :heavydrink:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:12 pm

General Zod wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:No, my point exactly is that I DO believe that's why they did it. I just fully support and respect their (or any artist's) right to do so, even if the end product makes my stomach turn when I hear it.

...when you say you "support" this decision, would you also say you "respect" it?

Lol... Actually, that IS exactly what I said haha (re-read my post bro) :lol: :lol: :lol:

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:19 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Cannot believe that it is nearly ONE MONTH since Psycroptic and Candlemass were leaked via adverts in the metal press, and still not officially announced!!!! :lol: :roll:

really i havent heard that, where did you hear it
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:44 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:Cannot believe that it is nearly ONE MONTH since Psycroptic and Candlemass were leaked via adverts in the metal press, and still not officially announced!!!! :lol: :roll:

really i havent heard that, where did you hear it

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5082 its all there.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:19 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:really i havent heard that, where did you hear it

Each has leaked from different sources. But both rumors seem very well substantiated.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:56 pm

... So if we don't get something TODAY, I guess we won't expect a band announcement until Christmas? Or are we trying to break all the records?

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:16 am

I'm not expecting any announcements in November either. I'm ready, Andy.
    Wishlist:
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

• alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:46 am

So every year, I loosely plan which bands I want to see and then I end up seeing maybe half of what's on my list. And then I hear people talking about bands that surprised them, like Nightmare or Cripper.

Therefore, I propose that one day has a schedule contains only start times, and not band names. You don't know what you're getting until they come on stage. It willl be an enriching experience to broaden our horizons. Please, contain your applause. I am brilliant
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

Re: Snappin' Necks All The Way To Labadee

by deathmetalpat » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:21 pm

sara wrote:
    deathmetalpat wrote:Never heard of Stuck Mojo but they are supposed to be a more Right -wing rap metal band.Another USA band and if Hillary wins they could play this song about Bill
    Lyrics to Crooked Figurehead
    "You lied connived and pressed flesh till 1600 was
    your address.
    The chameleon at the podium whose words cause pandemonium.
    A nation under stress, you must confess about an executive mess "
    But Trumpy will be president so even that won't matter :bmhorns:

Good god damn, I just threw up in my mouth a little!

So what does that taste like :beerhorns:
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

Re: Snappin' Necks All The Way To Labadee

by meshuggah » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:06 am

deathmetalpat wrote:
    sara wrote:
    deathmetalpat wrote:Never heard of Stuck Mojo but they are supposed to be a more Right -wing rap metal band.Another USA band and if Hillary wins they could play this song about Bill
    Lyrics to Crooked Figurehead
    "You lied connived and pressed flesh till 1600 was
    your address.
    The chameleon at the podium whose words cause pandemonium.
    A nation under stress, you must confess about an executive mess "
    But Trumpy will be president so even that won't matter :bmhorns:

Good god damn, I just threw up in my mouth a little!

So what does that taste like :beerhorns:

Probably tastes like the puke and bile that tRUMP has been spewing out during the last year.
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:18 pm

alex_canada wrote:So every year, I loosely plan which bands I want to see and then I end up seeing maybe half of what's on my list. And then I hear people talking about bands that surprised them, like Nightmare or Cripper.

Therefore, I propose that one day has a schedule contains only start times, and not band names. You don't know what you're getting until they come on stage. It willl be an enriching experience to broaden our horizons. Please, contain your applause. I am brilliant

If this plan gets implemented and I somehow miss Amorphis and got stuck watching Xandria, I'm blaming the ensuing violence solely on you. :mrgreen:
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:27 am

On Sunday it will be three months since the last announcement, thus becoming the second longest streak EVER without announcements. Good job once again :D
    Wishlist:

Post Reply 3265 posts