Post Reply 13 posts Page 1 of 1
Accommodation Recommendations (Hollywood Beach area)
    amera_ffxi
    Wiper

Accommodation Recommendations (Hollywood Beach area)

by amera_ffxi » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:31 am

Hi everyone,

Another first timer here!

Myself and my other half are travelling in from Ireland around the 30th January and are planning on staying in the Hollywood beach area for the first few days before boarding.

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for accommodation around the area. I have seen the Riptide come up a lot throughout the forums, but that is unfortunately fully booked up.

We're also hoping to join any pre-parties around the area also, so don't want to be too far, that we'd have to do do a lot of travelling to/from.

I’ve had a quick browse around Tripadvisor, Expedia etc. But it’s hard to tell if these places are any use, so figured I’d just ask here.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Rachel
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Accommodation Recommendations (Hollywood Beach area)

by metalmaciejmetal » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Last year I stayed at Ramada inn Fort Lauderdale. Not the best place, I don't necessarily suggest it. You can't really walk anywhere from there, kind of a shitty area. One important thing the hotel did offer is a free shuttle to and from the airport and to the cruise ship. It something worth considering when selecting a hotel. That in itself is worth about 100 bucks in my estimation. Many hotels offer that but not all. That's my tip. Obviously the closer to the beach the more expensive.

Cabs aren't cheap there and transit is non-existent. They do have Uber though, I saved a lot of money with that.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
  • AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:32 am

metalmaciejmetal wrote:transit is non-existent.

By transit do you mean public transport? - buses / trains etc.

We're staying a couple of miles from the beach. about an hour's walk by google's estimation & it suggested a bus as it's pretty much a straight road all the way ( the 858)
    It seems that there's a bus stop right by our hotel. the Broward county transit site seems pretty thorough,
    http://www.broward.org/bct/Pages/default.aspx
    initimating that buses shouldn't be an issue and that the 72 bus will take us the entire way.
    http://www.broward.org/BCT/Documents/SystemMap.pdf

I would like to understand your viewpoint on this though (as I've never been personally, so I'll bow to the expertise of someone who has!)

thanks,
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:00 am

If you want to participate in the pre-parties, I'd suggest getting there no later than Tuesday. I arrived Wednesday late afternoon after a full day of travel, after the pig roast had already happened, etc. Was too wiped out to really enjoy the beach party by that time when it got dark.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    amera_ffxi
    Wiper

by amera_ffxi » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:17 am

Thanks for the input guys!

I've been driving myself mad looking around trip advisor for accom. around the beach area.
    Have to say, none of the affordable hotels/motels are doing it for us!

Might start looking more inland and source buses, as AceHugger has.

One important thing the hotel did offer is a free shuttle to and from the airport and to the cruise ship.

Must have a look to see what places are offering this around the area, as this would be extremely handy!

I'd suggest getting there no later than Tuesday.

We're hoping to get in on the Monday, so after jet-lag and all that fun stuff, we should hopefully get to the
    pre-parties...all going well ofc!

Thanks again for your advice!

Rachel
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:05 pm

Indeed, Public Transit is what I'm referring to. Obviously there is a public transit system but it isn't very good. Its not a big city network with subways and buses like you would see in London or Chicago. You'll have some buses come by on major streets but they don't show up too often. The geographic area is very sparse so it takes forever to get anywhere. The only good side is it only costs a dollar to get on the bus. What i'm saying is its not reliable.

When it comes to the hotels with shuttles service here's an incomplete list: https://www.sunny.org/cruise-and-play/h ... -shuttles/ Double check with the hotels website if they offer such a thing. Most of the big chains do like Ramada, Days Inn, Best western, Hilton, etc.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:20 pm

We're staying at the Quality Inn CruisePort South (it's in Hollywood/Dania Beach), which has shuttles to and from the pier, and it's basically due west of the Riptide. It's by I-95 and on a major road so I'm sure there's bus service.
    For us the pier shuttle is free (we're using a park-stay-cruise deal), but I think it's only $10/pp each way normally. Cheaper than a taxi.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Hollywood Beach is pretty hit and miss for good hotels--most are very old and shabby. There is the new Margarita Ville--but it starts around $250 USD a night. I stayed at the Hollywood Beachside Suite http://www.hollywoodbeachside.com/
    Nice clean, apartment rooms. Close to everything. The beach, lots of pubs/restaurants and 15 mins from Riptide(walking).

Lots of cruisers stay here and you'll notice them against the old, orange skinned locals! LOL... nice boardwalk right on the beach/

DO not stay at the Marlin!!..... believe me....
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:47 am

AceHugger wrote:

We're staying a couple of miles from the beach. about an hour's walk by google's estimation & it suggested a bus as it's pretty much a straight road all the way ( the 858)
    It seems that there's a bus stop right by our hotel. the Broward county transit site seems pretty thorough,
    initimating that buses shouldn't be an issue and that the 72 bus will take us the entire way.

I would like to understand your viewpoint on this though (as I've never been personally, so I'll bow to the expertise of someone who has!)

thanks,

Native here. The Broward bus system is pretty extensive, and at a high level (routes, times, etc.) they do a good job, as you've seen from the website. Unfortunately, that doesn't extend to the buses themselves. They're routinely late and have been known to not make it to schedule stops at all. That being said, if you leave enough time, they're obviously the cheapest way to get around, and plenty of people do rely on them even to get to work. Just don't expect to show up 5min before the scheduled stop you want and have an easy time the way you might somewhere like NYC.

Given that you're presumably not strapped for a few bucks and have luggage to deal with, I'd recommend you just take an Uber. Incidentally, I'm a little confused - 858 is Hallandale Beach Blvd/Miramar Pkwy, but the 72 line runs on Oakland Park Blvd, quite a bit north of there. Neither will take you to the port, which is in between the two roads at the end of I-595.
    2017: 6523 | 2018: 2546

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
    mike314
    Oiler

by mike314 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:43 pm

A few of us are staying at The Caribbean Resort on Hayes St in Hoolywood Beach. It's more Like a studio apartment than a hotel room. Around $80 a night (at the time I booked in July), and it includes a full kitchen, which is fantastic for my vegan girlfriend who doesn't have as many dining options. Place is clean, well staffed, and close to the action
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:07 am

AceHugger wrote:

thanks,

If you're just using a bus to get to the beach, it's probably not bad, though kind of a pain. I've lived without a car in a city with just a bus system like this, and it takes good planning and can take awhile, especially if you miss a bus and the next is not for another hour or so. Since it's a vacation, it's better not to worry about that.

Cabs in Ft Lauderdale suuuuuuck. I think it's better to get a shittier room and be closer to the beach and be able to just walk to the boardwalk and have things to do right there. As for getting around when someplace is too far to walk, Uber is much better than cabs.

Every time I take a cab in FL, I am with a driver who is a rip-off and also wants to ask me 20 questions and act like I shouldn't be a single female traveler. One was very pushy on me about his religious views and then bitched about the baby momma he left behind in my hometown (ha, small world!). The Uber drivers I've had were much friendlier.

So stay right near the beach if you're staying in Hollywood and get Uber drivers, that's my take. It's shabby and full of old snow birds clutching tiny dogs, but it's also laid-back and has some good eats, the beach right there, etc.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    Amyphis
    Petty Officer

by Amyphis » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:37 pm

sara wrote:
    AceHugger wrote:

thanks,

If you're just using a bus to get to the beach, it's probably not bad, though kind of a pain. I've lived without a car in a city with just a bus system like this, and it takes good planning and can take awhile, especially if you miss a bus and the next is not for another hour or so. Since it's a vacation, it's better not to worry about that.

Cabs in Ft Lauderdale suuuuuuck. I think it's better to get a shittier room and be closer to the beach and be able to just walk to the boardwalk and have things to do right there. As for getting around when someplace is too far to walk, Uber is much better than cabs.

Every time I take a cab in FL, I am with a driver who is a rip-off and also wants to ask me 20 questions and act like I shouldn't be a single female traveler. One was very pushy on me about his religious views and then bitched about the baby momma he left behind in my hometown (ha, small world!). The Uber drivers I've had were much friendlier.

So stay right near the beach if you're staying in Hollywood and get Uber drivers, that's my take. It's shabby and full of old snow birds clutching tiny dogs, but it's also laid-back and has some good eats, the beach right there, etc.

I have had the same problem with FL cabs. Most are plain rude and they like to tell you their credit card machine is broken after they get you to your destination. Uber is much better.
    SWALLOW THE SUN, RAPTURE, AHAB, SATURNUS, DRACONIAN, KATATONIA, ESOTERIC, ISOLE, DAYLIGHT DIES, INSOMNIUM, AMORPHIS, GHOST BATH, HARAKIRI FOR THE SKY, OCEANS OF SLUMBER, EVERGREY

2012: 5578 2018: 7624
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016: 7320
    2017: 7624
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:23 pm

Yes to all above,stay near the beach ,very clean and laid back.There are much better places to eat at for the dollar compared to Miami in Hollywood beach area.Hollywood is great for a couple of days relax before the cruise place.Unless there is a concert at one of the Fort Lauderdale places before the cruise ,Miami is the better place for pre-cruise action,But Miami just isn't for me ,I am actually glad cruise doesn't leave from there anymore.Better airport because Southwest flies there and now Port Everglades has global entry ,which makes up for the crappy boarding experience (from what I hear).Everyone has different tastes and opinions as for me this describes Florida https://youtu.be/xiTM2HQ0g98 and Miami is the anus of the state.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
  • Post Reply 13 posts Page 1 of 1