Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1
Help me compose a playlist for my Fiancee! - Who to include?
    AceHugger
    Petty Officer

Help me compose a playlist for my Fiancee! - Who to include?

by AceHugger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:41 pm

OK, - so I've been listening to playlists on Spotify (both the one that I created and one listed on here by Jose Daniel Chaves (good work btw) and so I'm pretty up with who I'm into. - my Fiancee however is still researching. - as such I'm burning her some CD's this Staturday as part of a mini-xmas present (to replace the Metallica discography CD that has been in her car's CD player since Oct 2015 (seriously!!)

She's a Doom metal fanatic - her favourite band is My Dying bride. - the bands she's most excited about so far are Suffocation, Marduk, and a few others. We went to see Possessed & Absu on Tuesday, She also loves Satyricon & Vital Remains - that kind of stuff.

She's very up for new music though as long as it's HEAVY. - So the other night we got drunk & played Youtube roulette, - picking a track or two by a few bands on the playlist just for fun.

Here are a few examples of her responses:

Amaranthe - "ugh what is this shit..?"

Stuck Mojo - "Rap should NEVER be mixed with Metal" - my response " What about RATM" - she looked at me with disgust!

Arch Enemy - "Pretty awesome,... She's really good"

Equilibrium "Jesus,..... Are these guys for real??"

DevilDriver - " Yeah that's pretty good , that's not the real band though is it" (referring to the clouds over california video!)

Pain - " Oh no, another one of these" ( referring to the electronic nature of it , which I really like)

MoonSorrow - "ooh Yeah!, that's more like it"

Scar Symmetry - She turned off the moment the singer started singing

Grave - " Yeah, they're not bad. "

Vreid - "I could get into these"

Dying Fetus - just devil horns & a grin!

Anthrax - "Yeah, I want to see them, so gutted we only caught 2 songs before slayer last year"

So here's where you guys come in, - throw me some good heavy suggestions (either albums or the odd track) that I can include on the CD's because I could throw on a bunch of random songs here & there, but if there's particular stuff that people think might be representative of a band, that would be preferable I reckon.

P.S. - I'm asking you guys to do this because I'm familiar with a number of the bands playing but there's still quite a few I'm less au faix with.

I'll be sure to credit the 70,000 tons community on the CD.

Thanks

Really looking forward to partying with you all in a few weeks.

- AceHugger
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Help me compose a playlist for my Fiancee! - Who to incl

by General Zod » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:18 pm

Given your fiance's excellent taste, I would definitely throw the new Amorphis on there, "Under the Red Cloud".

With Moonsorrow, there's no good or bad starting point. Their songs are all epic to varying degrees and none of their records are bad. You might as well start with the new one, as I would expect they'll play a few songs from it.

With Vreid, go straight for "Milorg". Although it's all good, this is my favorite.

With Dying Fetus, "Reign Supreme".

She might also want to check out Omnium Gatherum and Kalmah.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Awesome,

Thx bud

I'll get those into the mix asap.
    jdch28
    Crewman

by jdch28 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:43 pm

I agree Kalmah might be a good suggestion (I first heard from them while I was creating the playlist. Still getting to know them, but so far I've loved the band).

Maybe she could like a couple song from Gojira?

Clone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skv4vioszuw

Oroborus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6qRFb2jisg

- - -
    AceHugger wrote:one listed on here by Jose Daniel Chaves (good work btw)

Thank you very much! :cheers:

2017 Survivor (9361)
    2018 Survivor (2618)
    2018 Booked (2332)
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Going a little deeper on Zod's suggestions...

Will also throw the Amorphis album "Circle" up for consideration - bit more of the doom coming through on that album (I'm thinking of Hopeless Days in particular but I like most of the album). Omnium Gatherum has a LOT of good stuff, but "New World Shadows" and their newest "Grey Heavens" are my particular standouts. For individual songs, Ego, New World Shadows, Everfields, Skyline and Frontiers.

If she likes heavy she may enjoy some of the Arch Enemy stuff with Angela (pre War Eternal), just as long as she knows that the vocalist is different.

How did she feel about Gojira? The new album can get to the heavy side, that might be worth an include. Stranded, Only Pain, Shooting Star, all solid.
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-November's.Doom-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-SOILWORK-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-

Gonna take a lot to get me back next year.
    Downvod
    Chief Petty Officer

by Downvod » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:55 pm

For Doom Metal on the lineup so far, Draconian would be your best bet I would think...
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402

Abbath-/-Aeternam-/-Aetherian-/-Aether.Realm-/-Alestorm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-At.the.Gates-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE’LAKOR-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carach.Angren-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Cruachan-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-DEATH.ANGEL-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-De.Profundis-/-Devin.Townsend-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Emperor-/-Enslaved-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Exodus-/-Finntroll-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghost.Ship.Octavius-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Havok-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Iced.Earth-/-IHSAHN-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-In.Mourning-/-Insomnium-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-MELECHESH-/-Mgla-/-MOONSORROW-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Obscura-/-Omnium.Gatherum-/-Oni-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-SOILWORK-/-Solution.45-/-Sunburst-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-Taake-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WINTERSUN-/-Witchery-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    Danny24601
    Crewman

by Danny24601 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Doom suggests Draconian and Amorphis to me. For Draconian, Arcane Rain Fell is their best traditional "MDB - Turn Loose The Swans" sort of record, and their newest record Sovran is a bit more gothic and slightly lighter, but still great. For songs by them I'd go with A Scenery of Loss, Heavy Lies the Crown, and Pale Tortured Blue. For Amorphis the consensus on Red Cloud and Circle (Hopeless Days and Shades of Grey especially) is spot on, though Tales From the Thousand Lakes is a death-doom classic and rumour has it they may play 2006's Eclipse from beginning to end on the boat.
    AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:21 pm

Cheers all, - Am looking into Draconian now.

Gojira. - YES. - I love them. - (very excited) - they're on there for sure.

Arch Enemy With both Angela and Alyssa. I Just added Heart of Darkness a few minutes ago

Amorphis - another one that seems spot on.

Stuck Mojo - just for a laugh, hahaha - although I did see them in '98 & they were actually pretty good - it was their original singer though

Keep 'em coming, - this is some good shit.
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:55 pm

Danny24601 wrote:Doom suggests Draconian and Amorphis to me. For Draconian, Arcane Rain Fell is their best traditional "MDB - Turn Loose The Swans" sort of record, and their newest record Sovran is a bit more gothic and slightly lighter, but still great. For songs by them I'd go with A Scenery of Loss, Heavy Lies the Crown, and Pale Tortured Blue. For Amorphis the consensus on Red Cloud and Circle (Hopeless Days and Shades of Grey especially) is spot on, though Tales From the Thousand Lakes is a death-doom classic and rumour has it they may play 2006's Eclipse from beginning to end on the boat.

To be fair, "rumour" in this case == "CaptainGabbeh's wishful thinking". Though they are doing a 10-year anniversary tour of Eclipse in Europe.

I'm not a great person to ask about heavy stuff, but if you and your fiancee liked Anthrax and Death Angel, I kinda think you'd both enjoy Annihilator and Testament. But I can't think of good individual songs for those bands

2015-2018, 2020
    Goth Cruise 2019?

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:06 pm

I'd give Stam1na a try. They're not doomy at all, but they're really eclectic - sort of progressive thrash. She'll probably either love it or hate it. I can't get enough of their most recent album, Elokuutio. They're going to be a fucking party.
    Brothers.of.Metal-/-Vintersorg-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Powerwolf-/-Finntroll-/-Eisbrecher-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Teräsbetoni-/-Avantasia-/-Edguy-/-Grai-/-Astral.Doors-/-Nodfyr-/-Scarab-/-Mono.Inc.-/-Kontrust-/-Heathen.Foray-/-The.Dread.Crew.Of.Oddwood-/-Turisas-/-Deathstars
    AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:21 pm

Wow! - Draconian..... Good call

:-)
    Danny24601
    Crewman

by Danny24601 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:50 pm

I had never heard of Draconian before they were announced, but they've snuck ahead of Amorphis and Kamelot to become my number one must see, they're amazing. And if you want really heavy you should also check out Nile, who are in fact really heavy. Check out Lashed to the Slave Stick :deathmetal:
    Hoppy McGee
    Chief Petty Officer

by Hoppy McGee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:30 am

I'll just mention the ones that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

You can't go wrong with almost anything by Unleashed, good Death/Viking metal with some thrashy elements, here's their latest album Dawn of the Ninehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAjCsuUH7sg

Revocation are awesome too, nice mix of tech. death and thrash. My favorite album from them is Existence is Futile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG99BQcLJM4&list=PL9F3D84AD75C30E80, their last two albums are really good too.

Check out Demolition Hammer as well. Old school super heavy thrash that have influenced a lot of bands. This album is a classic!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFN9x6yE-iw
    70k 2016 Cabin 9399
    70k 2017 Cabin 2364
    70k 2018 Cabin 9678
    70K 2019 Cabin 2358
    MY.LITTLE.WISHLIST_____**CAPS=MOST.WANTED**
    /-3.Inches.of.Blood.(Reunion)-/1914-/-ABBATH-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-Abysmal.Dawn-/-Aether.Realm-/-Alkaloid-/-ALLEGAEON-/-Anciients-/-AMON.AMARTH-/-Amorphis-/-ARCHSPIRE-/-Armored.Saint-/-Ash.Borer-/Asphyx-/-AT.THE.GATES-/-AUTOPSY-/-Barren.Earth-/-Battlelore-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Benighted-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Earth-/-Black.Fast-/-Blood.Incantation-/-Bloodhunter-/-Bolt.Thrower,(wishful.thinking)-/-Bölzer-/-Borknagar-/-Brymir-/-Cancer-/-Cannabis.Corpse-/-CARCASS-/-CATTLE.DECAPITATION-/-Cloak-/-Coffins-/-Cormorant-/Corrosion.of.Conformity-/-Craven.Idol-/-Crypt.Sermon-/-Critical.Mess-/-Cut.Up-/-Dark.Angel-/-DARK.FORTRESS-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-DAWN.OF.DISEASE-/-Daylight.Dies-/-Dead.Congregation-/-Damnation.Defaced-/-Death.Angel-/-Decapitated-/-Demolition.Hammer-/-Demonical-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Desaster-/-Deserted.Fear-/-DESTROYER.666-/-Desultory.(more.wishful.thinking)/-DISMEMBER.(wishful.thinking.that's.actually.possible.now!!!)-/-Draconian-/-Drakwald-/-Dying.Fetus-/-Dyscarnate-/-Emperor-/-Enforcer-/-Entombed-/-Entrails-/-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-/-Feral-/-FINNTROLL-/-Firespawn-/-Flotsam.&.Jetsam-/-GHOUL-/-Goatwhore-/-GOJIRA-/-Gorguts-/-Gorod-/-Grand.Magus-/-Grave-/-Grave.Miasma-/-Graveworm-/-Gruesome-/-Gutter.Instinct-/-Hallatar-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Hate.Eternal-/-Hatesphere-/-Hath-/-Haunt-/-Hellbringer-/-High.on.Fire-/-Hooded.Menace-/-HORRENDOUS-/-Horrified-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Ihsahn-/-Immolation-/-Inanimate.Existence-/-Insomnium-/-Jungle.Rot-/-Kadaver-/-Kaoteon-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Khemmis-/-King.Goat-/-King.of.Asgard-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-LEGION.OF.THE.DAMNED-/-LIK-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-Magic.Circle-/-Magoth-/-Mammoth.Grinder-/-Master-/-Mastodon-/-MGLA-/-Miasmal-/-MIDNIGHT-/-MISERY.INDEX-/-Moonspell-/-Morta.Skuld-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Necrophobic-/-Necrot-/-Nuclear.Assault-/-Okkultist-/-Orange.Goblin-/-Ossuarium-/-Outre.Tomb-/-Phlebotomized-/-Power.Trip-/-Powerwolf-/-PRIMORDIAL-/-Profanal-/-Protector-/-Psycroptic-/-Replacaire-/-Revocation-/-Ripper-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Ruby.the.Hatchet-/-Sacred.Monster-/-Sacrifice-/-SATAN-/-Satyricon-/-Skálmöld-/-Skeletal.Remains-/-SOEN-/-Suffocation-/-Sulphur-/-SULPHUR.AEON-/-Taake-/-TANKARD-/-Tau.Cross-/-Temple.of.Void-/-Terrorizer-/-Testament-/-The.Crown-/-The.Lurking.Fear-/-The.Wretched.End-/-THULCANDRA-/-Thyrfing-/-Tomb.Mold-/-Tribulation-/-Uada-/-Unleashed-/-VADER-/-Vampire-/-Vanum-/-Vektor-/-Venom.Inc.-/-Vesperia-/-Vredehammer-/-Watain-/-Xentrix/{white=booked}/{red=ruled.out}
  • Thrashmania
    Crewman

by Thrashmania » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:57 am

Her taste sounds similar to my girlfriends.

Put the following on the list:
    Draconian (Specifically stuff from Where Lovers Mourn and Arcane Rain Fell)
    Kalmah (Either of the Swamps)
    Moonsorrow
    Maybe Orphaned Land (Sahara)
    Amorphis (Tales from the Thousand Lakes)
    Unleashed (Where No Life Dwells)
    Vreid
    Nile
    70k 2012, Barge 2012, 70k 2015, 70k 2016, 70k 2017
    BlackToothGrin
    Crewman

by BlackToothGrin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Thrashmania wrote:Her taste sounds similar to my girlfriends.

Put the following on the list:
    Draconian (Specifically stuff from Where Lovers Mourn and Arcane Rain Fell)
    Kalmah (Either of the Swamps)
    Moonsorrow
    Maybe Orphaned Land (Sahara)
    Amorphis (Tales from the Thousand Lakes)
    Unleashed (Where No Life Dwells)
    Vreid
    Nile

That's the route I was going to go... sounds like she is leaning towards the darker, blacker stuff.
    She might particularly enjoy Vreid's album V and Moonsorrow's new one Jumalten Aika .
Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1