Post Reply 106 posts
Which will be the last band announced?
  • Which will be the last band announced?

Amon Amarth
    26%
    Candlemass
    10%
    Carcass
    29%
    Overkill
    7%
    Wintersun
    10%
    Others (specify)
    18%

Total votes: 72
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Which will be the last band announced?

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Phoenix wrote:2.2 million listens on last.fm - I guess they're big? I'd never heard of them.

That's LISTENS. Only 64,000 listeners. Not exactly huge - just means that some people that listen to Grand Magus have listened to them a LOT :P Certainly not huge enough to be a special final announcement.

When you look at the last two years, we had DIAMOND HEAD (160,000 listeners) and WINTERSUN (200,000 listeners) as the final announcements. Two, while not "massive" bands, certainly iconic. Dont think Grand Magus would be in the same ballpark as those guys.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Does Amon Amarth not tour where anybody else here lives? I mean, I like them and all. This is a halfway honest question. :P

I voted for Carcass, but I don't think it will be any of those bands.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
  • ExtraneouS
    Petty Officer

by ExtraneouS » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:34 pm

sara wrote:Does Amon Amarth not tour where anybody else here lives? I mean, I like them and all. This is a halfway honest question. :P

They don't tour near me, but that being said, no one does. we either get small bands that play in bars, or hyper popular bands that cost $100+ to see. The closest thing to a mid sized band that I saw was Steel Panther, and that was over a year ago.
    I need to move somewhere better. :lol:
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:40 pm

ExtraneouS wrote:
    sara wrote:Does Amon Amarth not tour where anybody else here lives? I mean, I like them and all. This is a halfway honest question. :P

They don't tour near me, but that being said, no one does. we either get small bands that play in bars, or hyper popular bands that cost $100+ to see. The closest thing to a mid sized band that I saw was Steel Panther, and that was over a year ago.

Yeah, I understand most of Canada and also Australia has this problem. Amon Amarth actually played my hometown last year. I was pretty shocked. They also played Syracuse the year before.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:42 pm

sara wrote:
    ExtraneouS wrote:

Yeah, I understand most of Canada and also Australia has this problem. Amon Amarth actually played my hometown last year. I was pretty shocked. They also played Syracuse the year before.

They've only toured Australia once I think. A couple of years ago. That was enough for me - would prefer the final announcement to be a weenie band but I think chances of that are remote :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Grand Magus
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Bands are absolutely allergic to Florida and especially South Florida. I regularly make trips to Tampa and Orlando which really interferes with work much of the time. I'm happy to do it because it's better than flying to Atlanta, but I do have to be selective if the band doesn't make it down here and Amon Amarth doesn't quite meet my "take time off work" threshold. I will be seeing them in Jacksonville in April though.

What's most infuriating is how many bands I love come to Fort Lauderdale EVERY YEAR because of a certain event in early February and rarely play a show here. I had to drive up to Orlando to see Epica last year even though we were both going to the same place after the show. (That said, they weren't originally scheduled to come to Florida and 70k definitely made that possible so thanks!)

Mostly they're on my wish list because I reserve it for bands I haven't seen.
    2017: 6523 | 2018: 2546

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:08 pm

General Zod wrote:
    acidbasement wrote:He's going to have a bonus band this year.

Is this merely wishful thinking or is there some concrete reason to believe this is the case?

I recall reading on this forum that last year Amon Amarth were "supposed" to be band no. 61, but there were visa problems for one of the members. Remember that Johan had the 70k hole in his US solo tour (I can't remember what he was touring)? Coincidentally, last year was the first year IIRC that there was no bonus band.
    This year we've got Carcass posting on Facebook, and the 70000 Tons marketing team has been egging people on on social media whenever they guess that Amon Amarth will be next. So, because math, Carcass will be no. 60 and Amon Amarth will be 61.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:15 pm

2015 didn't either, Xentrix had to cancel last minute IIRC.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:15 pm

In 2015 UMC had to scramble to find Gurd at the last minute, in 2016 it was Arkona.
    So they barely could make it to 60 bands in all years of the new format, due to cancellations. 61 bands is a myth.
  • ExtraneouS
    Petty Officer

by ExtraneouS » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:19 pm

macamatic wrote:

Bands are absolutely allergic to Florida and especially South Florida. I regularly make trips to Tampa and Orlando which really interferes with work much of the time. I'm happy to do it because it's better than flying to Atlanta, but I do have to be selective if the band doesn't make it down here and Amon Amarth doesn't quite meet my "take time off work" threshold. I will be seeing them in Jacksonville in April though.

What's most infuriating is how many bands I love come to Fort Lauderdale EVERY YEAR because of a certain event in early February and rarely play a show here. I had to drive up to Orlando to see Epica last year even though we were both going to the same place after the show. (That said, they weren't originally scheduled to come to Florida and 70k definitely made that possible so thanks!)

Mostly they're on my wish list because I reserve it for bands I haven't seen.

I remember hearing that part of the contract a band signs to play on boat says they can't play within 100 miles of the port for a month before or after the cruise. That's probably why all the bands show up, but don't play.
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Godflesh wrote:In 2015 UMC had to scramble to find Gurd at the last minute, in 2016 it was Arkona.
    So they barely could make it to 60 bands in all years of the new format, due to cancellations. 61 bands is a myth.

Even with any scrambling, they still would have had 61 bands in 2015 had it not been for Xentrix bailing literally less than 2 days before sailing due to someone in the band having a family emergency. So barring any incidents, 61 bands is absolutely plausible.

Although a scramble to book bands probably explains that one Cripper nominee with two songs to their name (what is their name again?). You know, the one from Vancouver.

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:00 am

As much as I personally would love Grand Magus being announced, I just don't see them being final announcement material
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: Don't even remember

Wishlist: Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Dzo-nga, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Primordial, Running Wild, Steel Panther
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:53 am

acidbasement wrote:I recall reading on this forum that last year Amon Amarth were "supposed" to be band no. 61, but there were visa problems for one of the members. Remember that Johan had the 70k hole in his US solo tour (I can't remember what he was touring)? Coincidentally, last year was the first year IIRC that there was no bonus band.

This year we've got Carcass posting on Facebook, and the 70000 Tons marketing team has been egging people on on social media whenever they guess that Amon Amarth will be next. So, because math, Carcass will be no. 60 and Amon Amarth will be 61.

Your logic seems sound. I'm hoping your right.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:28 am

AceHugger wrote:BloodSimple / Chimaira / Fear Factory / Machinehead / Spineshank
    Would give me a metal bonor, - but i have a feeling that most of these wouldn't hold water with a lot of the regular cruisers.

Likely, no. Fear Factory has been on twice, but there was nearly a riot when they booked Chimaira a few years ago (they ended up canceling). You'd probably find more of those types of bands on the Shiprocked cruise. Spineshank and Bloodsimple I could never see being on here, and Machine Head no longer does festivals of any type.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:48 am

Downvod wrote:
    AceHugger wrote:BloodSimple / Chimaira / Fear Factory / Machinehead / Spineshank
    Would give me a metal bonor, - but i have a feeling that most of these wouldn't hold water with a lot of the regular cruisers.

Likely, no. Fear Factory has been on twice, but there was nearly a riot when they booked Chimaira a few years ago (they ended up canceling). You'd probably find more of those types of bands on the Shiprocked cruise. Spineshank and Bloodsimple I could never see being on here, and Machine Head no longer does festivals of any type.

Good to know.

I nearly went one of the years that Fear Factory played (early cruise I think) It never panned out, - then after my wife & I separated I went travelling for a couple of years, last year my (current) fiancee & I saw that her favourite band 'My dying bride' were on, but it was too late to rally the funds really.

This year we booked on day of sale. :shred:

And why the hate for Chimaira?

Maybe I'm missing something with the cruise, but IMO it takes All different types of Metal to make up the sphere.
    Metallers get so hyper sensitive about their own niche-genre. Like when I used to DJ, - the Slayer fans only liked Slayer or very very similar., - the Marilyn Manson fans only like Marilyn Manson or very very similar & so on... after a track, if you play anything even slightly different, pretty much the entire dancefloor empties & re-fills with the new lot.

I always thought that I had an eclectic Metal knowledge, but being on this forum has highlighted that probably isn't the case these days.
    Maybe if I was still up on the bands playing at Metal festivals & stuff I might still feel like I know something, but I just don't really have the time.
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:11 am

ExtraneouS wrote:I remember hearing that part of the contract a band signs to play on boat says they can't play within 100 miles of the port for a month before or after the cruise. That's probably why all the bands show up, but don't play.

Interesting. That would make sense. At the Gates did start their tour in Fort Lauderdale the day after the cruise last year, but perhaps that was an exception.

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:18 am

AceHugger wrote:
    Downvod wrote:

Good to know.

I nearly went one of the years that Fear Factory played (early cruise I think) It never panned out, - then after my wife & I separated I went travelling for a couple of years, last year my (current) fiancee & I saw that her favourite band 'My dying bride' were on, but it was too late to rally the funds really.

This year we booked on day of sale. :shred:

And why the hate for Chimaira?

Maybe I'm missing something with the cruise, but IMO it takes All different types of Metal to make up the sphere.
    Metallers get so hyper sensitive about their own niche-genre. Like when I used to DJ, - the Slayer fans only liked Slayer or very very similar., - the Marilyn Manson fans only like Marilyn Manson or very very similar & so on... after a track, if you play anything even slightly different, pretty much the entire dancefloor empties & re-fills with the new lot.

I always thought that I had an eclectic Metal knowledge, but being on this forum has highlighted that probably isn't the case these days.
    Maybe if I was still up on the bands playing at Metal festivals & stuff I might still feel like I know something, but I just don't really have the time.

I don't disagree. The fact that most metal fans are rather elitist and stick to a particular sub genre is why, in 10-15 years, we won't have a band like Iron Maiden that brings us all together. It will all be seperate small shows, everybody checking out bands from their own niche. Generally, when a band gets big, it gets disowned by the metal community. That certainly doesn't help the genre as a whole.

As to your question about why there is so much hate toward particular bands... I think most of us have started with one of those bands, or someone similar, as a gateway band to get into metal. Once we go deeper into the rabbit hole, and are exposed to the wonderfully diverse world of underground metal, some of that stuff that originally drew us in becomes a lot less interesting in comparison. So I guess some of the emotion comes from seeing amazingly talented artists that can barely pay their bills playing in small clubs when bands like Korn play a few notes and represent metal in pop culture. Metal fans are very passionate and very defensive over the music they listen to. I'm not sure why it has to be a war, but that's just what it has become. Bands like Korn and Manson and Slipknot are seen as shopping mall trends while many underground metal fans are in it for life.

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:27 am

Kingslayer wrote:As much as I personally would love Grand Magus being announced, I just don't see them being final announcement material

Don't worry, if they are the last announcement I'll wooo! loud enough to make it worthwhile :lol:
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:05 am

I can say I am pretty impressed that anyone is asking for Spineshank. They had one song I heard in college and liked, and I havent heard from them since. I can appreciate some bands with a bit of Industrial sound, because that is where I started with heavy music.

I actually like Chimaira and DevilDriver. I have to be in the right mood to remember that and play them, but sure. And Fear Factory is great.

I dont think we need any large band to bring us all together. Large super bands are less fun. I get stressed by huge crowds and like the small dive bar shows a lot.

But back to the topic, I hope we get both Carcass and Amon Amarth, either or, or something else that is heavy and awesome.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:09 am

sara wrote:I can say I am pretty impressed that anyone is asking for Spineshank. They had one song I heard in college and liked, and I havent heard from them since. I can appreciate some bands with a bit of Industrial sound, because that is where I started with heavy music.

That might be because Santos left to spend more time on Silent Civilian, his other metal project. That project also recently announced that they're reforming and working on a new album (crowd funded). Which is great news for me, less than great news for Spineshank fans.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Thrashmania
    Crewman

by Thrashmania » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:04 am

Peter just needs to suck it up and do Hypocrisy sets. And fuck it, while we're dreaming here--throw Emperor in the mix. Emperor and Hypocrisy are my last two picks (For a total of 61 bands!)
    70k 2012, Barge 2012, 70k 2015, 70k 2016, 70k 2017
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:07 am

Thrashmania wrote:Peter just needs to suck it up and do Hypocrisy sets. And fuck it, while we're dreaming here--throw Emperor in the mix. Emperor and Hypocrisy are my last two picks (For a total of 61 bands!)

I was really hoping for Hypocrisy. Peter still needs to make up for the barge cancellation!
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Monmisreal wrote:
    Thrashmania wrote:Peter just needs to suck it up and do Hypocrisy sets. And fuck it, while we're dreaming here--throw Emperor in the mix. Emperor and Hypocrisy are my last two picks (For a total of 61 bands!)

I was really hoping for Hypocrisy. Peter still needs to make up for the barge cancellation!

Xentrix still needs to make up for the cruise I might have skipped if I'd known they weren't gonna make it
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • Thrashmania
    Crewman

by Thrashmania » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:49 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:

Xentrix still needs to make up for the cruise I might have skipped if I'd known they weren't gonna make it

Agreed on all fronts. Both are bands I was incredibly bummed cancelled, still had fun at the end of the day--but still.
    70k 2012, Barge 2012, 70k 2015, 70k 2016, 70k 2017
  • AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:57 am

Downvod wrote:As to your question about why there is so much hate toward particular bands... I think most of us have started with one of those bands, or someone similar, as a gateway band to get into metal. Once we go deeper into the rabbit hole, and are exposed to the wonderfully diverse world of underground metal, some of that stuff that originally drew us in becomes a lot less interesting in comparison. So I guess some of the emotion comes from seeing amazingly talented artists that can barely pay their bills playing in small clubs when bands like Korn play a few notes and represent metal in pop culture. Metal fans are very passionate and very defensive over the music they listen to. I'm not sure why it has to be a war, but that's just what it has become. Bands like Korn and Manson and Slipknot are seen as shopping mall trends while many underground metal fans are in it for life.

Really succinctly put & I agree with you on the gateway thing, - still it's nice to revisit those bands sometimes I think.

I remember my early days of Metal, & those albums I played to death, I never listen to anymore.

When I put them on now, I'm like "Fuck, yeah.."
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
  • CFH
    Crewman

by CFH » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:10 am

I have to admit, that one those things that I strongly dislike about metal community is that bs elitist/purist attitude. I mean, I used to be like that as well, when I was 11 - 18 years old and tryied my best to be a "proper" metal head. Had to dislike nu-metal, commercial music etc. Then at some point I grew up and nowadays I'm little under 30 years old, own a record collection of +1200 albums, have attented hundreds of shows and don't give a flying fuck wheter someone thinks I am a proper metal head or not. I can listen commercial radio stations in my car and dig some mainstream songs regardless of music genres and that doesn't make me feel any less of a metal head.

And then some wanker comes to me and starts rambling on how Devildriver are mallcore... To which I reply "Frankly my dear, I don't give a shit".

Oh yeah, on the topic, my answer is Carcass. The official merch guy was answering some questions on Facebook and he listed bands that are bringing cruise related merch with them. Happened to mention that the unannounced band is bringing some cruise specific merch as well. Now that I look at that Carcass post, which they put out a couple of days ago, it does really look like a shirt design to me..

And obviosly I'd be really excited to have them on board, so partly wishfull thinking as well.
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:45 am

Yeah I just checked out that post. Preposterous if they're not on after that.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:08 pm

alex_canada wrote:Yeah I just checked out that post. Preposterous if they're not on after that.

They did say "stow aways" though, which could imply that they won't be present "officially"?
    Perhaps they are the 61st band or something...
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:32 am

Godflesh wrote:They did say "stow aways" though, which could imply that they won't be present "officially"?

Someone on here very confidently stated that there would be a bonus band, so if that proves true this idea makes sense. AA and Carcass would be a hell of a way to close.

• Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:41 am

macamatic wrote:
    Godflesh wrote:They did say "stow aways" though, which could imply that they won't be present "officially"?

Someone on here very confidently stated that there would be a bonus band, so if that proves true this idea makes sense. AA and Carcass would be a hell of a way to close.

Both AA and Carcass definitely seems like a stretch to me. That would certainly set some difficult to follow expectations for years to come...

• Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:03 pm

We have two ex-members of Carcass from 2012 in Arch Enemy, so perhaps it will be more like a jam or something...
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:38 pm

I heard a rumor that the last band will be Golden Earring :mrgreen:
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:33 pm

meshuggah wrote:I heard a rumor that the last band will be Golden Earring :mrgreen:

Thats an unusual pick. I do wonder if they are still doing the casino circuit
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:30 pm

AA Carcass and Candlemass do not have a us tour at that time, Overkill and Nile tour starts February 14th, i am gonna say Overkill
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:32 am

Monmisreal wrote:

I want Hypocrisy too.
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    bernabeit
    Petty Officer

by bernabeit » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:29 am

I'm voting Hypocrisy!! :beerbang:
    Wishlist: Hypocrisy Be’lakor Necrot Borknagar Blood Red Throne Earth Rot Decapitated Gatecreeper Jungle Rot Sylosis Wolfheart Within Temptation Wintersun Battelore
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:17 am

At this point, I'll just be glad if it's a band I've actually heard of before.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:09 am

Warphine wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:

I want Hypocrisy too.

Good God, if we're going on requests I would love to vote for Emperor. They are not just my #1 wishlist band but my #1 favorite band in general. I don't think they'll play a cruise, though. That would be too cool and crazy to be true. :cry:
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:10 am

Warphine wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:

I want Hypocrisy too.

Good God, if we're going on requests I would love to vote for Emperor. They are not just my #1 wishlist band but my #1 favorite band in general. I don't think they'll play a cruise, though. That would be too cool and crazy to be true. :cry:
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial