Post Reply 34 posts Page 1 of 1
Seeing the "wrong" set
  • mjb7e
    Oiler

Seeing the "wrong" set

by mjb7e » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:10 pm

To the survivors, do you have any stories of seeing a "one-set" band, then hearing how you missed the better set? Competition, time, and venue must influence what single set people choose. What other factors play into the decision?
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Seeing the "wrong" set

by Phoenix » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Kind of the opposite for me - Amorphis played a Tales set in 2015, but I'm not a fan of the album so I made sure to catch the other set.

I forget how I knew which one to go to though... I think it may have said in the schedule? Either that or I asked around.
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-November's.Doom-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-SOILWORK-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-

Gonna take a lot to get me back next year.
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:28 pm

I feel like most of the times I say I'll catch "one set" I always catch the first and then end up at the second.

So it's pretty much been both sets or no sets for me. Total fear of missing out if I only see one.
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:42 pm

I guess I kind of had a near miss with Moonspell - I meant to catch only their first set last year, but when the storm hit they ended up reshuffled to play right before Turisas, so I ended up seeing both.

The first set was for the 20th anniversary of their Irreligious album, and the music and staging wasn't great IMO. Their second set was mainly supporting their new album, Extinct. Right from the intro I was hooked - the set was absolutely incredible.

I also ended up missing Twilight Force in the effort to catch Dragonforce's first failed set in 2016, so I guess that counts.

2015-2018, 2020
    Goth Cruise 2019?

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Some bands play an almost entire different show while others play the exact same set list.The worst thing is seeing a 2 setter while skipping a maybe band ,then see the same show down to stage cues and chatter between sets.This happened ,not going to name band but that is the worst thing that can happen.
    My wishlist 2019 A band just one band before Christmas!
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:55 pm

The very first year we missed blind guardians second indoor set. We just saw them twice because they played st Pete right before the cruise and were dead tired. Took a nap instead of seeing what everyone said was easily one of the best sets...still to this day

Not really a one set band for us, but we chose not to see the second.
  • mjb7e
    Oiler

by mjb7e » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:58 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:Some bands play an almost entire different show while others play the exact same set list.The worst thing is seeing a 2 setter while skipping a maybe band ,then see the same show down to stage cues and chatter between sets.This happened ,not going to name band but that is the worst thing that can happen.

Two of the same is weak, especially if the band has a big discography.
    Danny24601
    Crewman

by Danny24601 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Amorphis in 2015 for me, I was really excited to hear Circle material then ended up at their "Tales" set instead. They still killed it though. I'm a big fan of variety between the two sets, its the reason why Kamelot is not my number one must-see this year. I love them more than any other band on the boat, but they don't dig, pretty much ever. I'd absolutely encourage going to both sets of any band you really like, as even if they play the same material you can have a very different experience with the change in venue and vantage point. It can be a very different experience seeing a band while hanging off the railing, moshing in the pit, or watching from the balcony with a beer.

And I second Moonspell's second set being superior, Extinct is such a great record.
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:14 pm

mjb7e wrote:
    deathmetalpat wrote:Some bands play an almost entire different show while others play the exact same set list.The worst thing is seeing a 2 setter while skipping a maybe band ,then see the same show down to stage cues and chatter between sets.This happened ,not going to name band but that is the worst thing that can happen.

Two of the same is weak, especially if the band has a big discography.

Some of the bands don't, like Ghost Ship Octavius this year.

I'm okay with bands playing similar sets in two different venues as well. Haggard played a very, very similar set (I think they changed one song around) in 2014(?) and those were still the two best performances I've ever seen for any band ever.
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Danny24601 wrote: I'm a big fan of variety between the two sets, its the reason why Kamelot is not my number one must-see this year. I love them more than any other band on the boat, but they don't dig, pretty much ever.

Hint Hint *cough*
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:24 pm

I still deeply regret missing Blind Guardian's second set on the very first 70k. They opened with my absolutely favorite song, and I missed out on seeing a reportedly very inebriated Schaffer up there with them. I also regret missing the Finntroll set where the guitarist was playing a different song than the rest of the band :lol:
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-Ihsahn-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Annihilator maybe? LOL I love them but i couldn't believe the in-between-song banter was scripted!
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    Danny24601
    Crewman

by Danny24601 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:33 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:
    Danny24601 wrote: I'm a big fan of variety between the two sets, its the reason why Kamelot is not my number one must-see this year. I love them more than any other band on the boat, but they don't dig, pretty much ever.

Hint Hint *cough*

If Kamelot came out on stage during their first set and said they weren't repeating any songs (bands usually mention at their first set if they plan to change up much of their setlist) they would shoot to my number one over Draconian.
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Danny24601 wrote:
    deathmetalpat wrote:

Hint Hint *cough*

If Kamelot came out on stage during their first set and said they weren't repeating any songs (bands usually mention at their first set if they plan to change up much of their setlist) they would shoot to my number one over Draconian.

Can we start dreaming for this? Kamelot would instantly be number 2 for me, tied with Amorphis (and juuust behind Therion).

Alas poor Niki wouldn't be there for it

2015-2018, 2020
    Goth Cruise 2019?

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:21 pm

I talked to Aaron from My Dying Bride in 2012 and he stated his contract with 70k included the term "2 substantially different sets".And they played two very different sets,not sure if this is a band by band decision or the booking agent sets the terms.Some bands do tell you that the next set will be very different,if they don't I assume a almost total repeat.I will keep this in mind this year because I have many bands to see.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:39 pm

I dont think its ever happened to me. Perhaps Im lucky. Im also a bit of an over planner.

I wasnt into the first Amorphis set, to flip the script here a bit.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    Danny24601
    Crewman

by Danny24601 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:47 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:I talked to Aaron from My Dying Bride in 2012 and he stated his contract with 70k included the term "2 substantially different sets".And they played two very different sets,not sure if this is a band by band decision or the booking agent sets the terms.Some bands do tell you that the next set will be very different,if they don't I assume a almost total repeat.I will keep this in mind this year because I have many bands to see.

That's really interesting to hear! I'm not sure what contract law would define as "substantial" differences between sets, or if different bands are booked under different contracts. I've seen a number of bigger bands who "should" have the catalogue to dig a bit play identical or almost identical sets, so I'm pretty sure that means that either not every band signs that version of the contract or that that contract is as well enforced as every music-related contract my band has ever signed (which is to say, not at all).
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:24 pm

I missed the old school hammerfall set and saw the new one. Other than that I'm ok.

And my condolences for missing that guardian set...
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Danny24601 wrote:
    deathmetalpat wrote:I talked to Aaron from My Dying Bride in 2012 and he stated his contract with 70k included the term "2 substantially different sets".And they played two very different sets,not sure if this is a band by band decision or the booking agent sets the terms.Some bands do tell you that the next set will be very different,if they don't I assume a almost total repeat.I will keep this in mind this year because I have many bands to see.

That's really interesting to hear! I'm not sure what contract law would define as "substantial" differences between sets, or if different bands are booked under different contracts. I've seen a number of bigger bands who "should" have the catalogue to dig a bit play identical or almost identical sets, so I'm pretty sure that means that either not every band signs that version of the contract or that that contract is as well enforced as every music-related contract my band has ever signed (which is to say, not at all).

I think maybe some bands sign a "Festival Set" contract or something like that.This allows then to play the same set or same set with one or two song changes.If a band doesn't tour much then they don't get much rehearsal so it makes it easier.Other things to help people choose are if there are substitutes playing on the boat for regular members.Again just because of time and learning what to play.Some of the bands mentioned already here will do just about the same set twice,so unless you totally idolize them or nothing else interests you ,see them once.Smaller bands with limited catalogs usually repeat their sets also.This year I don't think there has been an"album in entirety,playing their new album set" announcement.I could be wrong but that also helps between seeing once or twice.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    Danny24601
    Crewman

by Danny24601 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:46 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:
    Danny24601 wrote:

I think maybe some bands sign a "Festival Set" contract or something like that.This allows then to play the same set or same set with one or two song changes.If a band doesn't tour much then they don't get much rehearsal so it makes it easier.Other things to help people choose are if there are substitutes playing on the boat for regular members.Again just because of time and learning what to play.Some of the bands mentioned already here will do just about the same set twice,so unless you totally idolize them or nothing else interests you ,see them once.Smaller bands with limited catalogs usually repeat their sets also.This year I don't think there has been an"album in entirety,playing their new album set" announcement.I could be wrong but that also helps between seeing once or twice.

Angra has been announced to be playing Holy Land in its entirety, and circumstantial evidence suggests Amorphis may play Eclipse as well (in 2015 they had just finished touring a full "Tales" set then played that record at one of their sets. They just finished an "Eclipse" tour....)
  • Godflesh
    Midshipman

by Godflesh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm hoping for a Among the Living 30th anniversary set, but 75% of Anthrax's set list is from this album anyway.
    However, they new album is their strongest in years, so they might do a set with more new songs.
    Agnostic.Front-/-Akercocke-/-Alien.Weaponry-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Anaal.Nathrakh-/-Animals.As.Leaders-/-Behemoth-/-Between.The.Buried.And.Me-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Star.Riders-/-Body.Count-/-Brujeria-/-Candiria-/-Candlemass-/-Cattle.Decapitation-/-Combichrist-/-Dark.Angel-/-Deicide-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-DRI-/-Entombed-/-Evile-/-Fear.Factory-/-Flotsam.and.Jetsam-/-Galakticon.-/-Ghost-/-Godflesh-/-Gojira-/-Green.Carnation-/-Hatebreed-/-Iron.Reagan-/-Jungle.Rot-/-KMFDM-/-Kvelertak-/-Lost.Society-/-Loudblast-/-Manowar-/-Melechesh-/-Memoriam-/-Ministry-/-M.O.D.-/-Morbid.Angel-/-Morgoth-/-Municipal.Waste-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Nails-/-Nuclear.Assault-/-Pig.Destroyer-/-Power.Trip-/-Protector-/-Rivers.Of.Nihil-/-Ross.The.Boss-/-Sacred.Reich-/-Saxon-/-Six.Feet.Under-/-Sleep-/-Stormtroopers.of.Beer-/-Suffocation-/-Suicidal.Tendencies-/-Tankard-/-Terrorizer-/-The.Crown-/-The.Faceless-/-The.Great.Old.Ones-/-The.Zenith.Passage-/-Thin.Lizzy-/-Triptykon-/-Trust-/-Tsjuder-/-Twelve.Foot.Ninja-/-UFO-/-Upon.A.Burning.Body-/-Vio-lence-/-Wrath-/-Xibalba
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:43 pm

Yep...happened 2 years ago...band's name starts with "A"
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:55 pm

Danny24601 wrote:I'm a big fan of variety between the two sets, its the reason why Kamelot is not my number one must-see this year. I love them more than any other band on the boat, but they don't dig, pretty much ever. I'd absolutely encourage going to both sets of any band you really like, as even if they play the same material you can have a very different experience with the change in venue and vantage point.

My main beef with Rhapsody of Fire last year was that the main difference between their two sets was like three songs. That being said, their Pool Deck was a whole other experience, having mainly to do with the general atmosphere of the deck and the crossover with the storm
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Kamelot effectively confirmed that Alissa and Elize would make guest appearances and also indicated that there were "surprises" coming. I bet that means some deeper cuts. I was already planning to go to both, but now I'm going to make a point point ​of it.
    2017: 6523 | 2018: 2546

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
    Danny24601
    Crewman

by Danny24601 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:08 am

Kingslayer wrote:
    Danny24601 wrote:I'm a big fan of variety between the two sets, its the reason why Kamelot is not my number one must-see this year. I love them more than any other band on the boat, but they don't dig, pretty much ever. I'd absolutely encourage going to both sets of any band you really like, as even if they play the same material you can have a very different experience with the change in venue and vantage point.

My main beef with Rhapsody of Fire last year was that the main difference between their two sets was like three songs. That being said, their Pool Deck was a whole other experience, having mainly to do with the general atmosphere of the deck and the crossover with the storm

That set was so cool! Even if it got shut down just before the end. That's what I mean when I say a different venue can lead to a whole different experience.
    Danny24601
    Crewman

by Danny24601 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:12 am

macamatic wrote:Kamelot effectively confirmed that Alissa and Elize would make guest appearances and also indicated that there were "surprises" coming. I bet that means some deeper cuts. I was already planning to go to both, but now I'm going to make a point point ​of it.

I really hope so, but it may just mean that Elize Ryd (Amaranthe) and Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy) come out for Angel of Afterlife, Liar Liar, and Revolution. They both have guested on Kamelot records and toured with them as backing vocalists (I saw Alissa with them in Montreal). It would be very cool, but may not mean deeper cuts. That said, we'll find out in a week! Fingers crossed!
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:22 am

Danny24601 wrote:
    macamatic wrote:Kamelot effectively confirmed that Alissa and Elize would make guest appearances and also indicated that there were "surprises" coming. I bet that means some deeper cuts. I was already planning to go to both, but now I'm going to make a point point ​of it.

I really hope so, but it may just mean that Elize Ryd (Amaranthe) and Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy) come out for Angel of Afterlife, Liar Liar, and Revolution. They both have guested on Kamelot records and toured with them as backing vocalists (I saw Alissa with them in Montreal). It would be very cool, but may not mean deeper cuts. That said, we'll find out in a week! Fingers crossed!

Very much looking forward to that! Since he'll be on board with Angra, is there any word on whether or not Fabio Lione will appear with them at any point? I know he was only ever performing with them between Roy and Tommy, but I do think it would be really neat
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:40 am

Danny24601 wrote:

Well, I did say they effectively confirmed that Alissa and Elize would be joining them. Amaranthe and Arch Enemy are both on my wish list - I am well aware who they are and their history with Kamelot, including the infamous Nightwish show. :)

Anyway, what they said was "Dont miss Kamelot at this year's 70000tons of Metal Cruise!! Some special guests and surprises in store!" It would be pretty lame if the special guests and the surprises were the same.

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:41 am

Don't think there's anything else. On the artists page, I don't think there's ever been adds after the "x out of y bands" disappears
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:30 am

captaingabbeh wrote:I guess I kind of had a near miss with Moonspell - I meant to catch only their first set last year, but when the storm hit they ended up reshuffled to play right before Turisas, so I ended up seeing both.

The first set was for the 20th anniversary of their Irreligious album, and the music and staging wasn't great IMO. Their second set was mainly supporting their new album, Extinct. Right from the intro I was hooked - the set was absolutely incredible.

I also ended up missing Twilight Force in the effort to catch Dragonforce's first failed set in 2016, so I guess that counts.

IMO the Irreligious set was absolutely amazing. And I'm not THAT much into that album anyway.
    Wishlist:
    ALLEGAEON--Amaranthe--Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Devin.Townsend.Project--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--Dream.Theater--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Epica--Fleshgod-Apocalypse--Fractal.Gates--Gamma.Ray--Gloryhammer--Haken--HELLOWEEN.REUNION--In.Vain--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--MOONSORROW--MORS.PRINCIPIUM.EST--NE.OBLIVISCARIS--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--Onslaught--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Power.Quest--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--Soilwork--Stratovarius--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Teramaze--Therion--Unisonic--Unleash.the.Archers--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Witherscape

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor
    Danny24601
    Crewman

by Danny24601 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:22 am

Kingslayer wrote:
    Danny24601 wrote:

Very much looking forward to that! Since he'll be on board with Angra, is there any word on whether or not Fabio Lione will appear with them at any point? I know he was only ever performing with them between Roy and Tommy, but I do think it would be really neat

No idea, since he very much sings in the same range as Tommy I'm not sure what he would guest on or how, but I'd be down. Fabio had a pretty strong live voice last year, I'm sure he'd do a good job with some Kamelot material.
    Danny24601
    Crewman

by Danny24601 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:41 am

macamatic wrote:
    Danny24601 wrote:

Well, I did say they effectively confirmed that Alissa and Elize would be joining them. Amaranthe and Arch Enemy are both on my wish list - I am well aware who they are and their history with Kamelot, including the infamous Nightwish show. :)

Anyway, what they said was "Dont miss Kamelot at this year's 70000tons of Metal Cruise!! Some special guests and surprises in store!" It would be pretty lame if the special guests and the surprises were the same.

Yeah, reading back over this I kinda just re-wrote your comment. It was late, I was tired :D I hope surprises means deep cuts too!
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:12 pm

Danny24601 wrote:Yeah, reading back over this I kinda just re-wrote your comment. It was late, I was tired :D I hope surprises means deep cuts too!

No worries. Honestly, even if they play the usual suspects both times, I'll enjoy it thoroughly - there would have to be something else really awesome happening elsewhere. I'm so excited! I legitimately have no idea how I'm going to get any work done this week.

Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Great topic! I remember seeing Seita on BTH and was underwhelmed. Then someone told me their second set was incredible. But Paradise Lost is probably the biggest "miss". I walked in during their Chorus Line set and walked out. Turned out it was their "softer" set and they played a better set later, from what I heard. :?
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
Post Reply 34 posts Page 1 of 1