Post Reply 58 posts
The Officially Unofficial Grand Turk topic
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

The Officially Unofficial Grand Turk topic

by Pellaz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:46 pm

I figured it would be a good time to start a topic about Grand Turk, our awesome port of call...especially since this just happened:

https://carnival-news.com/2017/11/02/gr ... l-ecstasy/
    I'm really happy they've finally been able to reopen.

We have quite a few Survivors who have not been to Grand Turk yet since 70K last visited there way back in 2013, but those longtimers who WERE there have often said it was the best port 70K had ever sailed to. So, ask any questions right here. :headbanger:

(As a disclaimer, I wasn't on 70K back in 2013, but I've been to Grand Turk four times so I know a little about it. And yeah, it's my favorite port of call, too. :twisted: )
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    jdch28
    Crewman

Re: The Officially Unofficial Grand Turk topic

by jdch28 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 am

So... I'm going with the default dumb question. What makes it so much better than the rest?

2017 Survivor (9361)
    2018 Survivor (2618)
    2018 Booked (2332)
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:56 pm

jdch28 wrote:So... I'm going with the default dumb question. What makes it so much better than the rest?

Wondered that as well.
    I've been there 2013 but really didn't find it very interesting. We walked around the port for about 20 minutes than went back to the boat because we got bored.
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:58 pm

It looks gorgeous. I see the Margaritaville has a swim-up bar, that's cool.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:45 pm

jdch28 wrote:So... I'm going with the default dumb question. What makes it so much better than the rest?

There's a few things.

No major "hassling" by overzealous "salespeople" at the port. If you wandered through the "straw market" last time at Labadee, you know what I'm talking about. And there are places that are worse. Nassau, anyone?

The entire island is only about 8 miles long and it's pretty safe. With a population of only 4,000 or so, it basically doubles when a cruise ship arrives. It's pretty hard to get lost even if you rent a golf cart and go off on your own.

The pool, pool loungers, beach and beach loungers are all free by the cruise center and are literally right at the end of the pier to the left, through Margaritaville. (It's the largest M'Ville in the Caribbean and one of the largest on Earth.) If you don't want the noise and partying from M'Ville, if you go to the right you'll find a much quieter beach and also the John Glenn commemorative exhibit. We tought the snorkeling was better by Jack's Shack, though.

You can snorkel right off the beach near Margaritaville and on up to Jack's Shack. When I was there last year the snorkeling had gotten much better once you get out past the surf zone. Due to the dredging for the ship-channel, there are spots where you can free-dive down to 40 ft. It wasn't easy, but I managed it. :beerbang:

Speaking of Jack's Shack, it's a bar further up (north) on the beach from Margaritaville, a lot less touristy and owned by an American ex-pat. If you visit their website you can get a coupon good for a free shot of rum. They're good people and their dog, Topher, may be the most famous canine in the Caribbean.

(There are more bars and stuff, I just know M'Ville and Jack's from experience.)

"Serious" scuba divers and such can book an excursion to go to "The Wall," which is a drop in the ocean floor from 40 ft to over 7,000 feet, really close to the island. It's a world-famous diving site.

If you'd rather do something a bit more immersive or cultural, you can take a taxi or rent a golf cart and visit Cockburn Town, which is the (small) town on the island. (It's pronounced "Co-Burn Town," but don't tell Andy. I think he enjoys saying it the other way. :lol: ) Cockburn Town is the capital of Turks & Caicos...which is kinda weird because most of the people and the resorts of T&C are on Providenciales, the much bigger island to the northwest. So, there are a few cultural places to visit there.

There's also a lighthouse you can visit at the northern tip of the island. All of this is easily accessible by renting a golf cart or full-day taxi tours. (Maybe bicycles and scooters, I'm not sure about that.)

Basically, there's a fair amount of things to do, and many of them are free and close.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Anyone who was on 70K 2015 remembers that the Margaritaville at Ocho Rios knew we were coming and blasted metal for us all day when we were there. They also made a one-time "event" t-shirt just for us. It was really cool. You could possibly hear Cannibal Corpse on the PA....while drinking at the bar with members of Cannibal Corpse. :whisky:
    When we went to Falmouth the following year they had no idea we were coming, and the place was pretty dead. I wuz disappoint. :roll:

So, I sent a message to the Margaritaville at Grand Turk a few weeks ago, telling them we were coming, 4,000-strong, and that it'd be cool (and good for their business) if they did something along the same lines as Ocho Rios did.

I haven't gotten a response. :evil:

Oh, well; I tried.
    2025 Wishlist:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Pellaz wrote:No major "hassling" by overzealous "salespeople" at the port. If you wandered through the "straw market" last time at Labadee, you know what I'm talking about. And there are places that are worse. Nassau, anyone?

This is the biggest point for me. I hate being bothered by hawkers. Labadee wasn't too bad because it was easy to avoid that area. Nassau certainly was the worst. Those people were super aggressive and would try to physically grab you to take you to their stall. Fuck that place.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    jdch28
    Crewman

by jdch28 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Pellaz wrote: No major "hassling" by overzealous "salespeople" at the port. If you wandered through the "straw market" last time at Labadee, you know what I'm talking about. And there are places that are worse. Nassau, anyone?

That's definitely an important issue; the less annoying 'salespeople', the more we can get drunk in peace.

Pellaz wrote:Basically, there's a fair amount of things to do, and many of them are free and close.

Okay, everything sounds pretty fun! Thanks for all the great info, didn't expect so much haha. I'm gonna start reading a little about the places you mentioned, maybe something catches my attention.

Pellaz wrote: If you visit their website you can get a coupon good for a free shot of rum. .

Yay, free rum! :cheers:

https://www.jacksshack.tc

2017 Survivor (9361)
    2018 Survivor (2618)
    2018 Booked (2332)
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:48 pm

We're considering doing some scuba while there, as it's supposed to be one of the best places in the world to dive. However, we'd have to seriously limit out alcohol the day before, so we probably will just snorkel.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:40 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:No major "hassling" by overzealous "salespeople" at the port. If you wandered through the "straw market" last time at Labadee, you know what I'm talking about. And there are places that are worse. Nassau, anyone?

This is the biggest point for me. I hate being bothered by hawkers. Labadee wasn't too bad because it was easy to avoid that area.

I had read warnings on CruiseCritic about that "avenue of annoyance" on Labadee. I still took that route to save some time and it was about as bad as I expected. There were ship security officers patrolling that section of Labadee, watching for "overzealous" hucksters. The scary part is, all of the hucksters had to be "approved" by Royal Caribbean to get inside the perimeter fence. --And they STILL feel a need to keep a watchful eye on them. :shock:

Nassau certainly was the worst. Those people were super aggressive and would try to physically grab you to take you to their stall. Fuck that place.

Yeah, I won't bother getting off the ship there unless I have a good reason to do so.
    What's funny is that the Bahamas' Minister of Tourism can't figure out why cruise people are so "down" on Nassau. All he needs to do is talk a walk down the pier and then act like an arriving tourist. :roll:
    2025 Wishlist:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Yippee38 wrote:We're considering doing some scuba while there, as it's supposed to be one of the best places in the world to dive. However, we'd have to seriously limit out alcohol the day before,

O the horror :lol:

so we probably will just snorkel.

If you DO decide to do scuba, I can recommend Oasis Divers on Grand Turk. I've used them twice (via ship excursions) for snuba there and they've been really good.
    2025 Wishlist:
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 am

Pellaz wrote:If you DO decide to do scuba, I can recommend Oasis Divers on Grand Turk. I've used them twice (via ship excursions) for snuba there and they've been really good.

I am seriously considering scuba diving - I am a certified diver. Do you think there's enough time to do it? Is this place very far from our port?
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Mr.Kito
    Midshipman

by Mr.Kito » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:39 am

It was my first 70k, my first time in the caribbean sea and its a real special place for me..

cant wait to be there again :headbanger:
    2024 Wishlist: Accept-Ad.Infinitum-After.Forever-Alestorm-Amon.Amarth-Amorphis-Angra-Angus.McSix-Ankor-Annihilator-Arch.Enemy-Brainstorm-Bruce.Dickinson-Body.Count-Cradle.Of.Filth-Crypta-Chaoseum-Cynic-Danko.Jones-Dark.Lunacy-Dark.Tranquillity-Deathless.Legacy-Deathstars-Destruction-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-Dimmu.Borgir-Edguy-Edu.Falaschi-Equilibrium-Epica-Evergrey-Feuerschwanz-Final.Disaster-Frog.Leap-Grand.Magus-Gotthard-How.We.End-Infected.Rain-In.Flames-Insomnium-James.LaBrie-Jinjer-KKs.Priest-Kontrust-Korpiklaani-Kreator-Lacuna.Coil-Lords.Of.The.Lost-Megara-Mors.Principium.Est-Myrath-Nailbomb-Nanowar.Of.Steel-Nervosa-Nightwish-Onslaught-Overkill-Perzonal.War-Primal.Fear-Poisonblack-Psychostick-Queensryche-Rammstein-Raven.Black-Rotting.Christ-Reclaim.The.Silence-Sabaton-Saltatio.Mortis-Scar.Symmetry-Sepultura-Seven.Kingdoms-Solution.45-Slashy.Sue-Soilwork-Splintered.Halo-Spoil.Engine-Swashbuckle-Tarot-Testament-The.Dark.Side.Of.The.Moon-The.Halo.Effect-Torture.Squad-TrollFest-Tuatha.De.Danann-Turisas-Wind.Rose-Within.Temptation
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2018-Survivor
    2011, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2023- :(
    2021, 2022- F### CORONAVIRUS
    2024 - BOOKED!! :shred:
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:47 am

Hey Pellaz, you've been there a bunch - what sort of excursions are usually on offer from RC? Curious if there's some sort of coastal tour like there was in Haiti - that was really awesome this year.

If not, I'd either be looking for some snorkelling or just some swimming if there's enough of a place to do that. Was a little disappointed by the area Haiti had roped off for swimming.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:04 pm

[quote="Pellaz"]
    I had read warnings on CruiseCritic about that "avenue of annoyance" on Labadee. I still took that route to save some time and it was about as bad as I expected. There were ship security officers patrolling that section of Labadee, watching for "overzealous" hucksters. The scary part is, all of the hucksters had to be "approved" by Royal Caribbean to get inside the perimeter fence. --And they STILL feel a need to keep a watchful eye on them. :shock: [quote]

We accidentally walked in that direction while heading back toward the ship. They were all salivating waiting for us to "cross the line" into their sell space. Made a hard turn out of there before trouble started. :lol:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:07 pm

bodomdragon wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:If you DO decide to do scuba, I can recommend Oasis Divers on Grand Turk. I've used them twice (via ship excursions) for snuba there and they've been really good.

I am seriously considering scuba diving - I am a certified diver.

Awesome! Most of my friends are shocked that I'm -- technically -- NOT certified. :lol:

Do you think there's enough time to do it? Is this place very far from our port?

Yes, there would be time. The island is only 8 miles long and The Wall is not far from the shore...in fact, I think I've read that it's swimmable from shore, although not a short swim.
    Scuba excursions are normally offered through the cruise line at Grand Turk, or you could arrange one "outside." The cruise line excursions were handled through Oasis Divers the last time I was there (about 13 months ago).
    2025 Wishlist:
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:11 pm

It'll be year six for me, only place I've got off the boat!

(It's fucking recovery day, having basically an empty ship makes for good relax time)
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Phoenix wrote:Hey Pellaz, you've been there a bunch - what sort of excursions are usually on offer from RC?

Absolutely NONE. It's a Carnival port. :lol: :lol:

Curious if there's some sort of coastal tour like there was in Haiti - that was really awesome this year.

Here's a list from Carnival of what they offer. It's difficult to know which ones Royal will be picking up for our visit, and also which -- if any -- were affected by hurricane damage.
    https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/grand-turk
    I also see some that are not listed, but were offered 13 months ago. :?

If not, I'd either be looking for some snorkelling or just some swimming if there's enough of a place to do that. Was a little disappointed by the area Haiti had roped off for swimming.

You and me both!

Luckily, Grand Turk has plenty of room for swimming and snorkeling.
    If the beach and the water from Margaritaville up to Jack's Shack gets too busy (not too likely, it's probably a quarter-mile long), then you can go further past Jack's Shack and the small pier next to it to Governor's Beach, which reportedly has good snorkeling. You have to walk up to the road, though; you're not allowed to walk or swim under the pier. When you see the wrecked ship to the left, as we approach the dock, you'll be looking at Governor's Beach.

We're the only ship scheduled in port that day, and right now Grand Turk is limited to only one ship per day due to hurricane damage and recovery.
    Last edited by Pellaz on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2025 Wishlist:
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Pellaz wrote:Absolutely NONE. It's a Carnival port. :lol: :lol:

Well, good. I'm glad we had this conversation :lol:

Here's a list from Carnival of what they offer. It's difficult to know which ones Royal will be picking up for our visit, and also which -- if any -- were affected by hurricane damage.

I think you forgot the link bud :P But thank you! I'm happy to hear that, in theory, there will be more freedom for us at port this year.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:Here's a list from Carnival of what they offer. It's difficult to know which ones Royal will be picking up for our visit, and also which -- if any -- were affected by hurricane damage.

I think you forgot the link bud :P But thank you! I'm happy to hear that, in theory, there will be more freedom for us at port this year.

Lol, I got so distracted reading the listings I forgot to paste it in. I've added it back.
    2025 Wishlist:
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:57 pm

According to the calendar the stay in port is 10 hours ,which might be longest scheduled stop in 70k history.8;00-18;00 ,might be extra long because 70k is only ship in port and history of extreme alcohol consumption for the cruise :lol:
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:16 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:According to the calendar the stay in port is 10 hours ,which might be longest scheduled stop in 70k history.8;00-18;00 ,might be extra long because 70k is only ship in port and history of extreme alcohol consumption for the cruise :lol:

Wow, if it's really a ten-hour visit, that's even extra awesome. That means that even if I do the snuba excursion there (for the third time), I'll have plenty of additional time to go snorkeling at the beach.
    The ship is so close* that you can go back on board for free lunch and then come back outside, and a ten-hour visit would make that pretty easy time-wise.

* and by close I mean, when you're snorkeling out at the line, farthest from the shore by Margaritaville, you can almost see the ship's hull underwater from where you are....it's THAT close.

gnoff_the_creep wrote:As for Grand Turks: That is one of the reasons I feel sad not to go next year, was the only place/port I've actually enjoyed over all my cruises.
    Perhaps not so "ooooh, look at that", but rather, you'll be left the fuck alone to do your business, not getting yelled at for not throwing your money at locals.

Yep. There are a few cruise ports I've been to where they don't hassle you (too much) and you don't have to "run the gauntlet" like in Nassau.
    Grand Cayman was good, the private islands (CocoCay, Half Moon Cay) are good.... Cozumel isn't too bad: they'll try to get you into their stores but they won't physically assault you. Ocho Rios was pretty bad ("No, dude, I don't smoke weed and I don't want my fucking hair braided!") and we never went past the port security gate at Falmouth so I don't know if there was a "gauntlet" to run there.

Speaking of private islands, Royal Caribbean is supposedly installing an actual pier at their private island, CocoCay (real name: Little Stirrup Cay), which would make it a possible 70K destination in the future. Right now big ships like ours can't go there because it's a tender port (requires smaller boats to ferry you back and forth to shore). That'd be awesome!
    2025 Wishlist:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Pellaz wrote:Speaking of private islands, Royal Caribbean is supposedly installing an actual pier at their private island, CocoCay (real name: Little Stirrup Cay), which would make it a possible 70K destination in the future. Right now big ships like ours can't go there because it's a tender port (requires smaller boats to ferry you back and forth to shore). That'd be awesome!

Grand Cayman was a tender port and that was a major pain. I didn't mind the town and beach itself but getting back to the ship took a long time.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:23 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:Speaking of private islands, Royal Caribbean is supposedly installing an actual pier at their private island, CocoCay (real name: Little Stirrup Cay), which would make it a possible 70K destination in the future. Right now big ships like ours can't go there because it's a tender port (requires smaller boats to ferry you back and forth to shore). That'd be awesome!

Grand Cayman was a tender port and that was a major pain. I didn't mind the town and beach itself but getting back to the ship took a long time.

Yeah, I kinda liked the town -- I was there last month -- but tendering back and forth is a huge time-waster. You might be scheduled to be there for seven hours, but when one hour is spent waiting to get off the ship and another hour is spent waiting in line to get back, it really reduces your time to enjoy the port.

Royal doesn't bring its bigger ships (like our Indy, and the Oasis-class ships) to CocoCay because by the time everyone was tendered off the boat, it would be time to start tendering people back. :shock:
    I really hope they install a pier there. I've only been there once (a few months before the first 70K) and it was great...and the snorkeling was awesome; had to be hundreds, maybe thousands of fish. 70K could definitely use a new port to visit, too. :D
    2025 Wishlist:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:53 am

For those of you who remember the special "metalheads" theme at the Margaritaville in Ocho Rios for 70K in 2015.....

I sent a message to the Margaritaville in Grand Turk asking if they were interested in maybe "welcoming" us there with 70K specials, metal on the PA, maybe a 70K event-only t-shirt like last time. They wrote back and said they were interested; they'll be contacting UMC about it. :beerbang:

Who knows? Maybe we'll have an even more metal time ashore at GT, and those of you who've been there know how awesome (and BIG) that Margaritaville really is.
    2025 Wishlist:
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:49 am

Sounds awesome--thanks!
    I was at the Ocho Rios Margaritaville and bought one the "Welcome Metalheads" shirts. Was a fun day there for sure.

When we were in Turks in 2013, we basically overran the beaches and bars, and the PA's that were playing dance, top 40 music slowly turned to metal..

The bar staffs could not believe how much we drank and tipped. Looks like the Margaritaville is really close to the port... I need to explore more of the island this time around.

:pound:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:04 am

I'm so jazzed about going to Turks & Caicos since I didnt make the 2013 cruise due to Barge to Hell. :boobs:
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:Sounds awesome--thanks!
    I was at the Ocho Rios Margaritaville and bought one the "Welcome Metalheads" shirts. Was a fun day there for sure.

Yep, me too. I'll sometimes wear my shirt to work. "Oh, cool, which Margaritaville was that-- Wait, does that say 'metalheads'?" :lol:

When we were in Turks in 2013, we basically overran the beaches and bars, and the PA's that were playing dance, top 40 music slowly turned to metal.

That's good to hear. --Literally.

The bar staffs could not believe how much we drank and tipped. :pound:

Yeah, I made sure I mentioned that in my email. :beerwink: We tend to drink a lot...and since Royal doesn't offer inclusive drink packages AND they've raised drink prices since last year, Margaritaville could really clean up. It may be cheaper for us to drink in the port. :shock:

Looks like the Margaritaville is really close to the port... I need to explore more of the island this time around.

The M'Ville is literally 50-100 yards from the end of the DuFry shop (the duty-free shop that you have to walk through when you pass the "Welcome To / Grand Turk" signs). Close enough that it's technically part of the Cruise Center.

For exploring more of the island, there are at least two companies still offering golf cart rentals just outside the cruise terminal gates; one other company, KaribCarts, isn't taking any reservations for 2018.
    Exploring is pretty easy, as the island is less than 8 miles in any direction. Or you can walk down along the beach to places like Jack's Shack. :D
    2025 Wishlist:
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:01 am

Pellaz wrote:AND they've raised drink prices since last year

:shock: That's not good news to us Canadians. Might not be drinking too much on broad this year.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:AND they've raised drink prices since last year

:shock: That's not good news to us Canadians. Might not be drinking too much on broad this year.

Not sure how much of an increase this actually is, but this is what Google Search says are the "new" drink prices:

•Mixed drinks/cocktails, martinis, frozens: $12.00.
    •Beers: $6.25 - $6.95.
    •House wines (by the glass): $8.00 - $12.00.
    •Soda: $1.95.
    •Juices: $3.95.
    •Fresh squeezed juice: $4.95.
    •Premium coffee: $3.95 - $4.95.

Beer prices don't look TOO outrageous assuming those are the current prices.
    Mixed drink prices are $3 or $4 higher than on Carnival, though. :shock:
    2025 Wishlist:
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:Not sure how much of an increase this actually is, but this is what Google Search says are the "new" drink prices:

•Mixed drinks/cocktails, martinis, frozens: $12.00.
    •Beers: $6.25 - $6.95.
    •House wines (by the glass): $8.00 - $12.00.
    •Soda: $1.95.
    •Juices: $3.95.
    •Fresh squeezed juice: $4.95.
    •Premium coffee: $3.95 - $4.95.

Beer prices don't look TOO outrageous assuming those are the current prices.

I remember paying about $10.50 US average for my girly drinks last year, so that's something to keep in mind if you're on a budget. Might be a lot of Corona in my future. (Can't drink regular beer, the hops/gluten makes me sick)

Thanks for the update Pellaz!

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm

More reason to watch for the daily drink specials. Girly drinks, or not...they all contain alcohol! :stagger:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    Jaimie38 wrote:I need to explore more of the island this time around.

For exploring more of the island, there are at least two companies still offering golf cart rentals just outside the cruise terminal gates; one other company, KaribCarts, isn't taking any reservations for 2018.
    Exploring is pretty easy, as the island is less than 8 miles in any direction. Or you can walk down along the beach to places like Jack's Shack. :D

Updating this for those who might want to explore Grand Turk on their own, KaribCarts is now accepting reservations for ATVs and 4-person golf carts. That should make 3 companies that offer rentals (right outside the cruise terminal entrance). Prices are around $80 for the whole day for either. Not a bad deal for 4 people to share a cart.
    2025 Wishlist:
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:45 am

Are there jet skis in Grand Turk? I had a blast with those in Labadee
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • IronTom
    Oiler

by IronTom » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:55 am

Question on snorkeling gear. I'm horribly disfigured in that I can only see a couple inches in front of my face without glasses. I'm disfigured in other ways to, but that's a different thread :D

I've read there are masks with special lenses for people in my predicament. Is it common practice for gear rental places to carry such masks?
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:58 pm

cegr80 wrote:Are there jet skis in Grand Turk? I had a blast with those in Labadee

I've found two companies that indicate they rent jet skis at Grand Turk; there might be more.

Wet Money (also rents golf carts, ATVs, etc.): http://www.wetmoneyent.com/grand-turk-rentals.html
    Price seems kinda high for an hour; I suspect there isn't enough competition.

Tony's Car Rentals at http://www.tonyscarrental.com says they rent jet-skis but I couldn't find a link on their site. I would email them and see. They are apparently located at Governor's Beach, where they also offer snorkeling rentals.
    2025 Wishlist:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 pm

IronTom wrote:Question on snorkeling gear. I'm horribly disfigured in that I can only see a couple inches in front of my face without glasses. I'm disfigured in other ways to, but that's a different thread :D

I've read there are masks with special lenses for people in my predicament. Is it common practice for gear rental places to carry such masks?

No, it's not common. They'd need to know things like your diopter for correction, etc. You could email and inquire either of the companies in the post above to see if they have something that could help you.
    Water refracts more than air, so many people with vision impairments find an improvement when looking underwater, even with an uncorrecting mask. (I do, a little.)
    2025 Wishlist:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:50 am

IronTom wrote:Question on snorkeling gear. I'm horribly disfigured in that I can only see a couple inches in front of my face without glasses. I'm disfigured in other ways to, but that's a different thread :D

So, I found out that if you know your diopter measurements, you can get a prescription mask fairly easily and with fast'n'free shipping on eBay. Pricing seems to be around $60, which isn't too terrible for a mask with different Rx's for each eye. Might be slightly cheaper if both eyes are the same.
    Search for "Prescription Scuba Dive Snorkeling Mask." The ones I've found have mostly been made by Promate (a brand I have several masks from; I like 'em) and from seller "getwetstore," who I've used successfully for several transactions. Might be worth the investment.
    2025 Wishlist:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Here's the official website for Grand Turk visitors. Some of the info might be outdated after the hurricane but there are some good maps of the island and a general idea of what to do and where you can go.

http://visittci.azurewebsites.net/grand-turk
    2025 Wishlist:
  • IronTom
    Oiler

by IronTom » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 am

Pellaz wrote:

So, I found out that if you know your diopter measurements, you can get a prescription mask fairly easily and with fast'n'free shipping on eBay. Pricing seems to be around $60, which isn't too terrible for a mask with different Rx's for each eye. Might be slightly cheaper if both eyes are the same.
    Search for "Prescription Scuba Dive Snorkeling Mask." The ones I've found have mostly been made by Promate (a brand I have several masks from; I like 'em) and from seller "getwetstore," who I've used successfully for several transactions. Might be worth the investment.

Thanks for the recommendations! When I had been looking into it, I couldn't seem to find anything for less than $100 but I may have limited my search to goggles that could fit glasses since my "prescription" is a few years old already. My eyes don't change hardly at all, so I only get a new 'script when I need to replace lenses, about every 3 years.

I read somewhere that some dive organizers would sometimes have goggles on hand that had some level of correction in the lenses, sort of like reading glasses off the rack, and that coupled with the natural magnification of the water seemed to be enough for most to have a good time.

I might try digging out an old pair and taking the arms off and mounting them in a less expensive mask.
  • Post Reply 58 posts