Post Reply 31 posts Page 1 of 1
When will they announce remaining bands?
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

When will they announce remaining bands?

by Ethrivas » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:26 am

My first cruise so i am wondering usually when they announce the last batch of bands?
    Long time veterans, can you comment based on the previous years?
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: When will they announce remaining bands?

by Memnoch » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:36 am

By the time of the cruise. Sorry, but there really isn't a better answer.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:49 am

This is how Andy decides if he's going to announce remaining bands or not:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:16 am

we have gotten 2 with in 24 hours of boarding the boat one year
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    jdch28
    Crewman

by jdch28 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:37 am

Soon ®

2017 Survivor (9361)
    2018 Survivor (2618)
    2018 Booked (2332)
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:11 am

When the Skipper finally notices people aren't bitching about the lack of announcements.

Or when he gets bored. One or the other.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:07 am

based on the previous two years, I would anticipate an announcement on or around xmass and the announcements to come every couples of days until you sail. It's definitely one of the aspects that makes this festival appear less professionally managed.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:59 am

2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:23 am

He's got a sold-out cruise with a waiting list. There's no reason to hurry with the announcements.

Nor is there any reason to make us wait.

Have a drink and relax. February will come, and it will be epic.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am

There's a wealth of posts here with people getting impatient, joking, theorizing, and salty about the last 7 or so years of band announcements.

I love announcements, because it's something to get excited about and chat with online strangers about our crazy, awesome, weird cruise. I'd rather talk with people about the latest band add instead of deal with my own holiday bullshit. But don't expect anything approaching logic or expediency, man. Announcements come when they come.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:18 pm

And let's face it; the boat is sold out with a waiting list. UMC has our money and it's past the cancellation-refund deadline, so Andy could book a bunch of Cripper-nominee bands (i.e., bands that are not well-known) from now through embark day. Basically, it's not worth fretting about because at this stage we have no recourse; you're already committed even if the existing lineup isn't up to par for you.

I've decided to expect all-Cripper bands from now on, so that if he announces any big bands, and/or bands on my wishlist, I'll be pleasantly surprised. The current lineup is certainly good enough for me so any wishlist bands would be gravy.
    I think we'll actually see a majority of Cripper bands in the upcoming announcements, but with a big name or two tossed in. Similar to previous years, in other words.

Heck, if Andy IS holding on to Iron Maiden or Amon Amarth, well....."it's not that you won't find ME not complaining!" ....to quote Bender from Futurama. :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Was it 2015 when wintersun we're added last minute ? Soo....
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:35 pm

General Zod wrote:based on the previous two years, I would anticipate an announcement on or around xmass and the announcements to come every couples of days until you sail. It's definitely one of the aspects that makes this festival appear less professionally managed.

'Appear' is the key word though. Once you are actually on board, everything is tight as hell.

Also, there are always big bands announced every year once the cruise is mostly sold. Sabaton was announced way after the cruise was sold out. This is a big part of the reason they sell out so quick. People know to book and trust. At this point, it's not about getting additional people to book this year, but maintaining that loyalty.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:59 am

Downvod wrote:'Appear' is the key word though. Once you are actually on board, everything is tight as hell.

Yes and no. A large part of what makes the ship run smoothly is the Royal Caribbean side of things. Shows regularly run over and start late in a way they just don't at other festivals. The sound often takes a few songs of each artist's set to dial in. Having been to many festivals around the world, I would put 70K near the bottom as to how well things run.

Downvod wrote:Also, there are always big bands announced every year once the cruise is mostly sold. Sabaton was announced way after the cruise was sold out.

I feel like you're giving credit for something that's not deserving of credit. Big bands *should* be announced after the cruise is sold out if you're going to announce only a third of the line up before asking your customers to shell out for what just may be the most expensive metal festival on the planet.

Downvod wrote:People know to book and trust. At this point, it's not about getting additional people to book this year, but maintaining that loyalty.

Not everyone "trusts". I bailed the day before the deadline because I think the line up is terrible and I don't trust in the Captain's taste. Since bailing it's been nothing but announcements that have made me feel justified in my decision.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:56 am

General Zod wrote:
    Downvod wrote:'Appear' is the key word though. Once you are actually on board, everything is tight as hell.

Yes and no. A large part of what makes the ship run smoothly is the Royal Caribbean side of things. Shows regularly run over and start late in a way they just don't at other festivals. The sound often takes a few songs of each artist's set to dial in. Having been to many festivals around the world, I would put 70K near the bottom as to how well things run.

Downvod wrote:Also, there are always big bands announced every year once the cruise is mostly sold. Sabaton was announced way after the cruise was sold out.

I feel like you're giving credit for something that's not deserving of credit. Big bands *should* be announced after the cruise is sold out if you're going to announce only a third of the line up before asking your customers to shell out for what just may be the most expensive metal festival on the planet.

Downvod wrote:People know to book and trust. At this point, it's not about getting additional people to book this year, but maintaining that loyalty.

Not everyone "trusts". I bailed the day before the deadline because I think the line up is terrible and I don't trust in the Captain's taste. Since bailing it's been nothing but announcements that have made me feel justified in my decision.

I am not necessarily giving them credit, but am saying that people shouldn't assume all remaining bands will be unknown just because it is sold out. They are always announcing bigger names regardless of the sales status.

As far as the actual event organization, I've never had reason to complain. Cruise ships were not originally intended with large music festivals in mind, so I cut them some slack in trying to coordinate 120 shows in such a short amount of time. I think 90% of it runs pretty damned smoothly all things considered.... and there are certainly a lot of advantages this event has over other festivals.

As far as the lineups, they are always pretty well rounded to cover most tastes. This is only going to be my third cruise coming up. However, even though some lineups are better than others, I can't say there has been a single one that hasn't had enough for me to justify attending. I see a lot of people on here that like one sub-sub-sub genre and like 3-4 bands every year... and they still seem to have a great time.

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 am

Downvod wrote:
    General Zod wrote:

I am not necessarily giving them credit, but am saying that people shouldn't assume all remaining bands will be unknown just because it is sold out. They are always announcing bigger names regardless of the sales status.

As far as the actual event organization, I've never had reason to complain. Cruise ships were not originally intended with large music festivals in mind, so I cut them some slack in trying to coordinate 120 shows in such a short amount of time. I think 90% of it runs pretty damned smoothly all things considered.... and there are certainly a lot of advantages this event has over other festivals.

As far as the lineups, they are always pretty well rounded to cover most tastes. This is only going to be my third cruise coming up, but I am familiar with all of the lineups since 2011. Even though some lineups are better than others, I can't say there has been a single one that hasn't had enough for me to justify attending. I see a lot of people on here that like one sub-sub-sub genre and like 3-4 bands every year... and they still seem to have a great time.

General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:40 am

Downvod wrote:I am not necessarily giving them credit, but am saying that people shouldn't assume all remaining bands will be unknown just because it is sold out. They are always announcing bigger names regardless of the sales status.

At this point, I would anticipate two or three known bands and a lot of Crippers.

Downvod wrote:As far as the lineups, they are always pretty well rounded to cover most tastes.

Although I find his line-ups too heavily favor melodeath and thrash, I would agree.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:22 am

I'm crossing my fingers for Paradise Lost and Borknagar
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:22 am

General Zod wrote:Although I find his line-ups too heavily favor melodeath and thrash, I would agree.

There's no such thing as "favoring thrash too much" :twisted:
    Wacken 2003
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:56 pm

TPH wrote:
    General Zod wrote:Although I find his line-ups too heavily favor melodeath and thrash, I would agree.

1 thrash band and 3 melodeath this year... what am I missing?

• Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Downvod wrote:
    TPH wrote:

In fairness, last year was basically 70,000 Tons of Melodeath. I have so much free time by comparison.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    Downvod wrote:

In fairness, last year was basically 70,000 Tons of Melodeath. I have so much free time by comparison.

Yeah, I would definitely agree that last year's lineup had a ton of thrash and melodeath. Not so much this year though. I think we could actually use more of both.

• sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Downvod wrote:
    TPH wrote:

I think you are missing 2015. :lol: That was my first year, and so many complained it was all thrash. The last three years have been good for thrash, overall.

Thrash bands make great crippers, and I love so many little-known, non-Big 4 thrash bands. I'm still hopeful we'll get some nice thrash additions.

Now does 70k have many problems or not? There's a lot more logistics to running a festival on a cruise boat instead of a big, flat field. I think given that, they do okay. Most problems I've seen were with putting up a new stage or some bad weather. Always the schedule is tweaked when sets can't happen as planned.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:32 pm

sara wrote:
    Now does 70k have many problems or not? There's a lot more logistics to running a festival on a cruise boat instead of a big, flat field. I think given that, they do okay. Most problems I've seen were with putting up a new stage or some bad weather. Always the schedule is tweaked when sets can't happen as planned.

I agree, in the 8 years we have been on 3 different ships and 70K tries to improve each year.
    Shit is going to happen
    they handle this well
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:48 pm

sara wrote:There's a lot more logistics to running a festival on a cruise boat instead of a big, flat field. I think given that, they do okay.

I'd say the complete opposite: having 3 out of 4 stages being indoors, and with the biggest stage being around a tenth of the size of a mainstage in a big European fest (not even talking about the Pyramid Lounge!), 70K have it way, way easier than any average outdoor fest.
    And maybe I had this impression because I'm too used to the Hellfest which has been tight as hell for 10 years now, but we had some delays this year that were really too much. Being 10-15 minutes late is OK, but I'm talking about much more than 30 minutes (first set of Testament, for example).

This is not their first year, it was not even their first year on this specific boat. As much as I genuinely loved the experience (I'm back again in a few weeks, after all), a few things are not working as they are supposed to, especially for the price we are paying. I completely agree with General Zod on this one.
    Wacken 2003
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:06 pm

I’m also surprised by the lack of thrash this year, but last year was thrash heaven, so that’s hard to match.
    This year is death metal heaven IMO.
    Still 15 bands to go though, so I’m hoping for at least one well-known thrash band, either old school or new wave.
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:55 am

TPH wrote:
    sara wrote:There's a lot more logistics to running a festival on a cruise boat instead of a big, flat field. I think given that, they do okay.

I'd say the complete opposite: having 3 out of 4 stages being indoors, and with the biggest stage being around a tenth of the size of a mainstage in a big European fest (not even talking about the Pyramid Lounge!), 70K have it way, way easier than any average outdoor fest.

It's a boat, the pool deck is not meant for that type of stage and is difficult for them to set up, there is wind and the chance for a tropical storm like in 2016, and there is not much time to set up the venues ahead of time. It's not like the boat was sitting around since the day before or something. A normal cruise debarks in the same morning as ours starts. I think at Wacken or some place like that, crew can come days ahead and set up the stages and get everything right.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:32 am

I imagine the boat also adds the complication of limited resources. If your sound equipment is borked, you either need to bring an extra before broading or make do with what you have. You can't ask someone else to drive you over new equipment.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:23 am

Phoenix wrote:I imagine the boat also adds the complication of limited resources. If your sound equipment is borked, you either need to bring an extra before broading or make do with what you have. You can't ask someone else to drive you over new equipment.

Agreed... and people mention the cost of the event when evaluating how well it is run... yes, it is expensive, but I don't think it is really all that profitable when it all comes down to it. A large portion of your ticket price is the standard cost of the cruise and fees. For the extra cost on top of that, much of that is going toward 60 bands, security, the stage crews and misc expenses. I know they use a lot of volunteers, and if that keeps the price down to somewhat tolerable amounts, I'll take the minor imperfections that come with it.

TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:10 am

Wacken 2003
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Well, except when they, y'know, start building the stage BACKWARDS (in 2015).... :lol:

General Zod wrote:Not everyone "trusts". I bailed the day before the deadline because I think the line up is terrible and I don't trust in the Captain's taste. Since bailing it's been nothing but announcements that have made me feel justified in my decision.

Who the HELL am I going to kneel before now?
    :shock: :shock: :lol: :cry:

Downvod wrote:As far as the lineups, they are always pretty well rounded to cover most tastes. This is only going to be my third cruise coming up. However, even though some lineups are better than others, I can't say there has been a single one that hasn't had enough for me to justify attending. I see a lot of people on here that like one sub-sub-sub genre and like 3-4 bands every year... and they still seem to have a great time.

A huge part of it by now (4th time coming up) is the camaraderie with fellow cruisers (and band members, for that matter).
    2018's lineup (so far) isn't the best for me out of the four, but it's good enough, and I might maybe have a little extra downtime this year. And yeah, it's a lot of fun. :headbanger:

TPH wrote:

How many open-air festivals have to wait until the morning of their festival to begin loading their equipment and setting up? How many have to CRANE their stage pieces and equipment over the side of a ship -- since 70K is NOT allowed to use dock-level gangways or any crew-access back areas -- slowly and piecemeal?
    Take a look at a "before 70K" photo of the ship's pool-deck; you'll see exactly how MUCH they have to do to prepare it for us. It's a lot different than just using a flat field.

The logistics of this festival are pretty astounding. I'm in awe every year, and I know at least one other festival organizer who feels the same way.

And maybe I had this impression because I'm too used to the Hellfest which has been tight as hell for 10 years now, but we had some delays this year that were really too much. Being 10-15 minutes late is OK, but I'm talking about much more than 30 minutes (first set of Testament, for example).

This is one reason why I was advocating (gently) for Andy and UMC to drop back to 50 really good, well-known bands: the scheduling is too tight, and there is little wiggle-room for situations when, say, the outdoor stage has to be closed down for weather or the theater stage is running behind. What happens if the weather is bad for two days in a row? It could happen; it happened to me back in October.

downvod wrote:Agreed... and people mention the cost of the event when evaluating how well it is run... yes, it is expensive, but I don't think it is really all that profitable when it all comes down to it.

Oh, I'm sure it's really profitable, but....
    A large portion of your ticket price is the standard cost of the cruise and fees.

A "regular" cruise (including port fees, taxes and prepaid gratuities) would be a little less than half of what we pay, maybe a third for older ships or short itineraries.
    For the extra cost on top of that, much of that is going toward 60 bands, security, the stage crews and misc expenses. I know they use a lot of volunteers, and if that keeps the price down to somewhat tolerable amounts, I'll take the minor imperfections that come with it.

--Except that the volunteer crew also receives staterooms, etc., gratis.
    When you add in the cost of the staging, the equipment, the dock crane, the paid crew (plus, some volunteers DO get paid after a year or two of working 70K), the charter fee, paying the bands, etc., the price for 70K is actually pretty reasonable.

As an example, the Walker Stalker cruise, for Walking Dead fans, is significantly more expensive than 70K...and has MUCH lower staging costs, and you don't get all of what WE get.

70K ain't a cheap ticket by any means...but it's less than I'd expect.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
Post Reply 31 posts Page 1 of 1