Post Reply 80 posts
Massive changes afoot for the Independence
  • SpaceSlug
    Crewman

Boat Renovation!

by SpaceSlug » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:40 pm

All

Hopefully this isn't old news...

Independence of the Seas is getting a facelift in April 2018.
    https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7943

This sounds awesome but I hope it doesn't screw up the pool deck and/or make us switch boats. It could be good. It could be bad.

We'll see how it goes.
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

Re: Boat Renovation!

by Downvod » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:13 pm

SpaceSlug wrote:All

Hopefully this isn't old news...

Independence of the Seas is getting a facelift in April 2018.
    https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7943

This sounds awesome but I hope it doesn't screw up the pool deck and/or make us switch boats. It could be good. It could be bad.

We'll see how it goes.

Have to wonder if this has anything to do with the recent inactivity lately. Skipper may be busy making other arrangements for 2019.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Somebody posted that a while ago on here or Facebook,it has been planned out for a while.These renovations are done with a quick turnaround,sometimes the ship has to sail across the sea the 10 days before.These are cool cruises if you ever just want to spend time on a ship without ports and then visit the port on the other end.This has no effect on this year's cruise and the stuff they mess with isn't the main pool area as much sports deck.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Hopefully they will do what they did on Liberty of the Seas during it's renovation last year...they cut those big annoying orange columns down to about 6' tall!

2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:10 am

mbob wrote:Hopefully they will do what they did on Liberty of the Seas during it's renovation last year...they cut those big annoying orange columns down to about 6' tall!

That would be AWESOME....and it's not as if 70K wouldn't be an incentive for them to do the same thing to the Indy.

BTW, that pic of the pool deck shows exactly how much work goes into converting the deck to our outdoor concert venue. It's a lot more work than I'd thought.

Speaking of Liberty, the people on that ship during Hurricane Harvey are about to get a 14-day cruise for the price of a 7-day. She had to divert to Miami since the Port of Galveston remains closed for the week. :shock:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:22 am

Pellaz wrote:
    That would be AWESOME....and it's not as if 70K wouldn't be an incentive for them to do the same thing to the Indy.

BTW, that pic of the pool deck shows exactly how much work goes into converting the deck to our outdoor concert venue. It's a lot more work than I'd thought.

Speaking of Liberty, the people on that ship during Hurricane Harvey are about to get a 14-day cruise for the price of a 7-day. She had to divert to Miami since the Port of Galveston remains closed for the week. :shock:

The cruise lines are working with the fact that music cruises are popular and the wave of the future.Getting rid of obstacles and needless decorations,or at least making them removable.It is going to be interesting to see the recovery from the storm ,opening the port is one thing,the logistics of future cruises is another.Such a chain reaction,might even use the ships as temporary FEMA camps or something.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 am

Pellaz wrote:Speaking of Liberty, the people on that ship during Hurricane Harvey are about to get a 14-day cruise for the price of a 7-day. She had to divert to Miami since the Port of Galveston remains closed for the week. :shock:

There are also 3 Carnival ships waiting to get in. They have gone to New Orleans in the mean time. There are people who say they are "stranded" on the ships and feel they should be compensated. They are welcome to get off in New Orleans and find their own way home. There are always those looking for a quick buck, complaining about being inconvenienced.

Let me tell you, I am just north of the Houston area. Been stuck in my house for 4 days straight. Luckily we are at a high elevation therefore we are dry and have plenty of food, water and beer. However, there is flooding all around us and you want to complain about being stuck on a cruise ship?
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

• deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 am

Galveston has to be wiped out ,if they park cars there they are swamped and useless.People have become such victim-culture safe space huggers that any adversity sends them into a tailspin,somewhere some American Princess is upset that her cruise ship honeymoon has been canceled.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:Galveston has to be wiped out ,if they park cars there they are swamped and useless.

No, actually the Port of Galveston has been reporting that the parking garages at the port have not been flooded and passengers' cars are okay...but the access roads to get there ARE flooded.

People have become such victim-culture safe space huggers that any adversity sends them into a tailspin,somewhere some American Princess is upset that her cruise ship honeymoon has been canceled.

Quite a few people are undoubtedly upset or disappointed, and who can blame them? But this is what trip insurance is for.

Carnival appears to have handled the situation better than Royal has...a bit of a surprise for the cruise-line often called the "Wal-Mart" of the cruise industry.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:02 am

Pellaz wrote:...But this is what trip insurance is for.

I'm a firm believer in travel insurance. 2016 I ended up paying my own way home from Jamaica when my gallbladder exploded Saturday morning.

Here are the details of coverage and cost of my travel insurance from 2017.

Travelex Insurance Services (http://www.travelexinsurance.com/)
    Total Policy Cost: $87.00
    Insured Trip Cost: $1,500.00

Plan Benefits / Maximum Benefit Amount Per Person
    Trip Cancellation 100% of Insured Trip Cost
    Trip Interruption 150% of Insured Trip Cost
    Trip Delay / Missed Cruise Connection $750
    Baggage/Personal Effects $1,000
    Baggage Delay $250
    Emergency Medical & Dental Expense $50,000
    Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation $500,000
    24 Hour AD&D $25,000
    Travel Assistance* Included
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Bob wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:...But this is what trip insurance is for.

I'm a firm believer in travel insurance. 2016 I ended up paying my own way home from Jamaica when my gallbladder exploded Saturday morning.

:shock:

Here are the details of coverage and cost of my travel insurance from 2017.

Travelex Insurance Services (http://www.travelexinsurance.com/)

Probably THE best place to get travel and trip insurance is http://www.insuremytrip.com -- it's easy to compare plans and policies to get what you want. Unfortunately it's too late now for most of us to get "cancel for any reason" insurance since it usually has to be booked within 2 or 3 weeks of initial payment, but any coverage -- especially for medical evac, which could bankrupt you -- is better than none.

24-hour AD&D

Whew, I love gaming and playing AD&D*, but that might be a bit much. :lol: :lol:

------
    * although I prefer Traveller. Slough Feg for the boat!
    2025 Wishlist:
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:09 am

Bob wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:[...]
    Plan Benefits / Maximum Benefit Amount Per Person
    Baggage Delay $250
    24 Hour AD&D $25,000

Wow, those numbers are...sick.
    When it comes to stuff like that I'm always more than happy that I'm not living in the USA :shock:
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:32 am

I get the insurance mostly for emergency medical or evacuation. The trip cancellation costs are minimal compared to medical expenses incurred in a foreign country. Take lots of credit. One lady in the hospital with me was being asked for $15K USD for additional tests. I’ve heard horror stories about people being stuck in Mexico where the hospital was demanding $20K USD before they would allow them to leave.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:07 am

Bob wrote: I’ve heard horror stories about people being stuck in Mexico where the hospital was demanding $20K USD before they would allow them to leave.

A girl from where I grew up was basically a vegetable and a hospital in Mexico still wanted $8,000 for the body. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 15407.html Total insanity,don't expect any compassion from tourist places or anything from countries on the lower economic scale.My dad was in Canada a few years ago and had a minor medical problem,he wanted to pay but the doctor said there was no charge.The worst the country the more you pay.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Mark wrote:Plan Benefits / Maximum Benefit Amount Per Person
    Baggage Delay $250
    24 Hour AD&D $25,000

Wow, those numbers are...sick.
    When it comes to stuff like that I'm always more than happy that I'm not living in the USA :shock:

The $50,000 and $500,000 figures are the really critical ones. As others have posted, medical evacuation by helicopter can be extremely expensive, and -- correct me if I'm wrong -- government-run medical systems like in Europe won't pay those either. Judging from posts on CruiseCritic, helicopter evacs happen at least once or twice a week. :shock:
    2025 Wishlist:
    cowboy71
    Commander

Massive changes afoot for the Independence

by cowboy71 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 pm

So she is going in for some wholesale changes in April.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017 ... f-the-seas

Summary of the changes:

- Alhambra Theater renamed Royal Theater
    - Labyrinth lower level (called here the Raven) becomes staterooms
    - Labyrinth upper level becomes Izumi specialty restaurant
    - On Air Club becomes more staterooms, art & photo gallery
    - Photo Gallery & Shop replaced by Playmakers sports bar & arcade
    - Romeo & Juliet, Macbeth & King Lear dining rooms renamed Dining Room
    - Pyramid Lounge renamed Star Lounge
    - Connoisseur Club becomes Library & RC Online
    - Dog & Badger Pub becomes Ale & Anchor
    - Cupcake Cupboard becomes Sugar Beach
    - Business Center & Loyalty desk replaced by more staterooms
    - Library replaced with more staterooms
    - RC Online replaced with more staterooms
    - Concierge Club replaced with more staterooms
    - Forward part of deck 12 becomes more staterooms
    - Mini-putt replaced by water slides
    - Cloud Nine & Seven Hearts replaced by Suite Lounge
    - Skylight Chapel replaced by Escape Room

About 100 new suites being added.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Massive changes afoot for the Independence

by cowboy71 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Note that the mini golf is not disappearing entirely. It will be moved to deck 14 as per this:

https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/assets ... _April.pdf
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Call me crazy, but I'll miss the chapel. One of the few quiet places to catch your breath on board. Ah well, more staterooms = more metalheads = more new friends, sounds good to me.
    Last edited by Danny24601 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Seventh.Wonder/Theocracy/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Draconian/My.Dying.Bride/Primordial/Turisas/Katatonia/Swallow.the.Sun/Eluveitie/Seven.Spires/Tyr/Soilwork/Helloween/Countless.Skies/Anaal.Nathrakh/Frozen.Crown/Sonata.Arctica/Powerwolf/Blind.Guardian/Avantasia/Within.Temptation/Aephanemer/Serenity/Saturnus/Moonspell/Scardust/The.Halo.Effect/Sabaton/Noumena/Sojourner/Dragony/Omnium.Gatherum/Soen/Paradise.Lost/Shape.of.Despair/Hamferd/Aether.Realm/Brothers.of.Metal/Dawn.of.Solace/Tribulation/Twilight.Force/Be'lakor/Wilderun/Beast.in.Black/Ensiferum/Serenity.in.Murder/Dimmu.Borgir/Amon.Amarth/Visigoth/Satyricon/Cradle.of.Filth/Unleash.the.Archers/Moonsorrow/Epica
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Danny24601 wrote:Call me crazy, but I'll miss the chapel. One of the few quiet places to catch your breath on board. Ah well, more staterooms = more metalheads=more new friends, sounds good to me.

I'm guessing they are just removing the religious context from the space by calling it an "Escape Room" rather than a "chapel".
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Waterslides sound fun. Laser tag rules. Glad mini golf will stay, even though I suck at it. I wonder how many injuries will happen at the trampoline park. Also, we need to use the escape room as a drunk tank. Find our most wasted cruisers and see how long it takes them to get out. I wonder if changing the main pool to a resort pool will include changes that affect the ability to make the outdoor stage. Something to keep an eye on as more news comes out.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm

cowboy71 wrote:
    Danny24601 wrote:Call me crazy, but I'll miss the chapel. One of the few quiet places to catch your breath on board. Ah well, more staterooms = more metalheads=more new friends, sounds good to me.

I'm guessing they are just removing the religious context from the space by calling it an "Escape Room" rather than a "chapel".

That is possible. I assumed escape room meant one of those rooms you get locked inside with your friends and have to solve puzzles and find keys to get out of, which seem to be all the rage nowadays. I suppose it is a pretty small space to fit one inside of, so you may be right.
    Seventh.Wonder/Theocracy/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Draconian/My.Dying.Bride/Primordial/Turisas/Katatonia/Swallow.the.Sun/Eluveitie/Seven.Spires/Tyr/Soilwork/Helloween/Countless.Skies/Anaal.Nathrakh/Frozen.Crown/Sonata.Arctica/Powerwolf/Blind.Guardian/Avantasia/Within.Temptation/Aephanemer/Serenity/Saturnus/Moonspell/Scardust/The.Halo.Effect/Sabaton/Noumena/Sojourner/Dragony/Omnium.Gatherum/Soen/Paradise.Lost/Shape.of.Despair/Hamferd/Aether.Realm/Brothers.of.Metal/Dawn.of.Solace/Tribulation/Twilight.Force/Be'lakor/Wilderun/Beast.in.Black/Ensiferum/Serenity.in.Murder/Dimmu.Borgir/Amon.Amarth/Visigoth/Satyricon/Cradle.of.Filth/Unleash.the.Archers/Moonsorrow/Epica
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Danny24601 wrote:I assumed escape room meant one of those rooms you get locked inside with your friends and have to solve puzzles and find keys to get out of, which seem to be all the rage nowadays.

It will be this.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:34 pm

AAh okay. Yeah I thought escape room => 'somewhere to escape to', not an ACTUAL "escape room".

But that sounds way more fun!! :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:44 pm

I counted 106 new rooms with one family suite split into 2.The rooms around the outside of the fitness center are just weird .They are all out there by themselves.The Library was an easy meeting place and had a great view.I imagine another 300 people can go on the boat next time.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Danny24601 wrote:I assumed escape room meant one of those rooms you get locked inside with your friends and have to solve puzzles and find keys to get out of, which seem to be all the rage nowadays.

It will be this.

On a boat filled with drunk and passed out people, what could go wrong? :D
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:49 am

mooyagi wrote:

It will be this.

Am I the only person around here who considers a chapel an escape room already?! :lol:
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:51 am

So if I'm reading this right, we need a new place to both do karaoke and watch the Super Bowl, correct?

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 am

Phoenix wrote:So if I'm reading this right, we need a new place to both do karaoke and watch the Super Bowl, correct?

That is what I read into it. I'm guessing Playmakers sports bar & arcade (old photo gallery on deck 4) will be where they try to put the Super Bowl. That is depending on the setup of the arcade part.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 am

They could move karaoke to the new sports bar if it is large enough.

They are also putting in laser tag but none of the new deck plans show this. Since the sports bar is also labeled as an arcade then maybe laser tag is going where the existing arcade is.

Hopefully they will do what the did on the Liberty where they shortened the orange columns on the pool deck...

They can add all the cabins they want but capacity is dependent on number of lifeboats. You can sellout a ship without all of the cabins being filled.
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

• Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:17 am

Depending on what sort of staterooms they add, could be good for us. If they add more interiors, that's more cheap cabins to go around.

And just more cabins without windows. I can't sleep when there's light in a room.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

It will be this.

Am I the only person around here who considers a chapel an escape room already?! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I would love to see those stupid towers eradicated. I absolutely hate the pool deck layout (especially when compared to the Majesty), it is not good for anyone and especially those of us who are 5'2".
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 am

mbob wrote:Hopefully they will do what the did on the Liberty where they shortened the orange columns on the pool deck...

That would be all kinds of awesome. Royal Caribbean, make it so!

Oh, I wouldn't mind if they could please install Freestyle Coke machines....y'know, like many of their other ships have? That'd be greeeaaaat.
    2025 Wishlist:
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:42 am

Pellaz wrote:Oh, I wouldn't mind if they could please install Freestyle Coke machines....y'know, like many of their other ships have? That'd be greeeaaaat.

Won't happen as long as the Independence continues to do Europe in the summer. For some reason RCCL won't install Freestyle Code machines on any ship that departs from other countries.
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:24 pm

mbob wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:Oh, I wouldn't mind if they could please install Freestyle Coke machines....y'know, like many of their other ships have? That'd be greeeaaaat.

Won't happen as long as the Independence continues to do Europe in the summer. For some reason RCCL won't install Freestyle Code machines on any ship that departs from other countries.

Oh, I'm aware. It's as if some giant international corporation somehow couldn't afford to rent some storage space at its own cruise terminals to warehouse the machines while the ships are deployed back to Europe. But I digress.
    2025 Wishlist:
    Welli
    Oiler

by Welli » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Daenerys wrote:I
    I would love to see those stupid towers eradicated. I absolutely hate the pool deck layout (especially when compared to the Majesty), it is not good for anyone and especially those of us who are 5'2".

Yes, down with the stupid towers! And dump the whirl pool in the middle! How I miss the pool deck on the majesty... floating in the pool, or lounge on a sun chair and listening to the bands...
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Welli wrote:...or lounge on a sun chair and listening to the bands...

I miss this a lot. You can sit on one on the upper level above the stage but it's usually too windy up there.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Our next boat? I give you... 230,000 tons of metal: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2018/02/14/sneak-peek-inside-royal-caribbeans-symphony-seas-largest-cruise-ship-ever/336211002/
    Outdoor stage: Image

And the theater: Image

8000 passengers, so that's what? 120 bands?
  • Iconix
    Crewman

by Iconix » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Godflesh wrote:Our next boat? I give you... 230,000 tons of metal: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2018/02/14/sneak-peek-inside-royal-caribbeans-symphony-seas-largest-cruise-ship-ever/336211002/
    Outdoor stage: Image

And the theater: Image

8000 passengers, so that's what? 120 bands?

Since hearing the "we'll be back on the Independence one more time" announcement I decided to look at some of the other RC ships and I just can't see any of them working out as well. First, I don't think even the huge Oasis class could take more than 60 bands, as they still have essentially the same 4 venues, with the "Music hall" replacing the lounge and the Aquatheater replacing the pool deck. The music hall looks like it would be a huge upgrade over the Pyramid, but the Aquatheater wouldn't really replace the pool deck all that well, as it's amphitheater-style seating with very little floor space (unless they just left out all the seats like in that construction picture, but that venue has fixed seating if you look at shots from any of the existing ships), and although it does have a pool, it's technically part of the stage, and if the pool were left open, the actual stage space would be way too small. The upside would be that there would be some rooms with balconies directly overlooking that stage which would be pretty cool.

There are a number of other small entertainment venues on the Oasis class that I don't think would be usable as band venues, so those wouldn't get much use for 70k, plus they also have way more of the premium restaurants/shops and kids' areas that we never use, so I just don't see how this would be a great venue for 70k, or a worthwhile use of the ship from RC's perspective.

Symphony looks to be a little bigger than the existing Oasis ships, but would still only have about 1500 real extra passenger capacity over the Independence, and given how quickly 70k has sold out the last couple years, they'd obviously want to use as much of that as possible on passengers. If they used some of that space to bring more than 60 bands, they'd still have only 4 venues to work with, so the most likely outcome would be extending the length of the cruise, which might bump the price up out of reach, and they might fail to sell out the ship which would be a real bad look for both 70k and RC

The other larger class of ships (Quantum) would be even less suitable, as they A) don't sail out of Florida (the only one in the US is the Anthem and it sails from New Jersey), B) have ONLY specialty restaurants, no windjammer or dining room, every passenger on the ship has to make reservations for the restaurants every day, and B) have only 3 usable venues for bands.

All that said....having 70k on a ship named "Symphony" would be pretty damn fitting

TL;DR - We all know they're gonna have to do something about the ship filling up, and it looks like it's coming in 2 years, but I'm not sure it'll just be "move 70k to the bigger boat"
    Last edited by Iconix on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    70k Survivor:
    2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024

Wishlist: (ON!, last year, repeats, still hoping)

Aeternam-AlienWeaponry-AllShallPerish-Allegaeon-AMONAMARTH-Amorphis-Anciients-AndyGillion-ArchEnemy-AtTheGates-BE'LAKOR-Belzebubs-BeyondCreation-TheBlackDahliaMurder-BlackCrownInitiate-Blackguard-BloodStainChild-BORKNAGAR-Carcass-Chimaira-CountlessSkies-DarkAge-Darkane-DarkLunacy-DarkTranquillity-Devildriver-Diablo-DimensionZero-DimmuBorgir-DisarmoniaMundi-Eluveitie-Ensiferum-Equilibrium-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FearFactory-Finntroll-FleshgodApocalypse-GOJIRA-Gyze-TheHaloEffect-TheHaunted-Helleborus-Ihsahn-InFlames-InMourning-Insomnium-IntoEternity-InVain-Kalmah-Katatonia-KingOfAsgard-LacunaCoil-LambOfGod-Manegarm-Mastodon-Mercenary-Miseration-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MorsPrincipiumEst-NeObliviscaris-Nightrage-Obscura-TheOcean-OceansOfSlumber-OctoberTide-OmniumGatherum-OPETH-Ouroboros-Persefone-PainConfessor-Raunchy-RiversOfNihil-RottingChrist-SaltatioMortis-ScarSymmetry-ShadowsFall-Shylmagoghnar-Skeletonwitch-Skyfire-Slipknot-Soen-Soilwork-Solution.45-Stam1na-Susperia-SvartCrown-SwallowTheSun-Sylosis-Testament-ThreatSignal-Trivium-Turisas-Tyr-Unearth-UnleashTheArchers-Whitechapel-WhiteVoid-Wilderun-Wintersun-Wolfheart

\m/ >_< \m/
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm

"unless they just left out all the seats like in that construction picture"
    A terraced GA with no seats! Genius! :D
  • Post Reply 80 posts